• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people start smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The other day I just started thinking... why the hell do people start smoking? With alcohol, you get drunk... and that's appealing to have a good time at parties or whatever. I don't drink, but I guess I understand the appeal. People smoke weed or do other drugs at least partly because of the effects. When it comes to tobacco though.. I just don't understand it. The only reason I could come up with (and it sounds cheesy since they drilled this peer pressure thing into us when we are in school) is that they want to fit in... or they like how people look with them, and they want to look like that. Do people really start smoking for those stupid reasons? Now that we are more educated on the terrible effects tobacco can have on a person, why would they start smoking? I don't understand how people can sacrifice years of their life to start something that their friends do and they will be addicted to the rest of their lives. I guess a lot of people just don't think like that or don't care.

Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way and need a wider view. Help me out GAF. Why would anyone start smoking besides "peer pressure"?

AnkitT

I guess its the psychoaddictive properties of nicotine, but it probably differs from person to person. I had smoked two packs last month and havent touched a cig since.

baultista

Banned
1) Peer pressure
Someone sees someone else doing it, thinks it looks cool/badass, and imitates

2) Stress relief
I don't know b/c I haven't tried, but people say that smoking has this amazing ability to relax you... freeing you of virtually any stress.

ITT smokers post stories of how they started smoking. I think it would make for a very interesting thread.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
baultista said:
2) Stress relief
I don't know b/c I haven't tried, but people say that smoking has this amazing ability to relax you... freeing you of virtually any stress.
Isn't that only because their craving that cigarette? :p

I mean, the first time you smoke a cigarette, you don't feel relaxed do you?

baultista

Banned
Black_Ice said:
I ask the same question.

I also ask the same question with drinking. Why?
On drinking, I'd say don't knock it until you try it.

I consider myself an occasional drinker (I can count the number of times per year on one hand) and I always ask myself "why the hell am I doing this" before I start drinking... but by the time you get the alcoholic buzz it feels AWESOME. The next day I usually feel pretty dehydrated (only one hangover in my lifetime) and make sure to exercise a lot to rid myself of the guilt.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i know its a little crazy but smoking is not something that does nothing to you. Tobacco to me is relaxing and helps relieve stress. Its a drug and it works pretty well.

Also, what can i say, i love sucking on things that give me creamy white pleasure.

CiSTM

Banned
I like the taste. I started with cigars and I love 'em. Some times you don't want to buy expensive cigars and you just buy good topacco.

I started very late smoking at 21 becuase, I started drinking and enjoyed a drink and a smoke. So to start I only somked when drinking. Then that would lead to me smoking any ciggarettes I had left over from the night before.

That was Ok for a while. But when I noticed at work that all the popular people smoked, had more breaks and were a much more social group I joined it.

I smoked to be in with a popular group and it worked. I also got more breaks. I was an off or on smoker for many years but I would always start smoking when I started a new job. Allowed me to intergrate quicker and get benificial information.

I don't smoke any more.

Puck

Banned
They want to end their miserable existence quicker than normal. And destroy everything and everyone around them at the same time.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I didn't start smoking until it was legal to do so (I was 19.) My mom was a smoker growing up and I despised it.

I can't give you a solid reason on why I started. Picked up the habit in college and just liked the nic buzz for some reason. Before I knew it I was smoking 10 a day and the buzzes were basically gone. Over the years I got up to two packs a day.

Quit about 4 years ago thank god, best thing I ever did. Starting smoking is one of the worst decisions I ever made. And being a child who was vehemently against it (and someone who lost a parent to lung cancer, although that happened after I started smoking) I would guess that anyone could make that stupid choice.

It doesn't make sense that I avoided it all during my teen years while various peers smoked (I had a cig or two but never was a smoker, at all) and then pick it up later in life but that's exactly how it happened.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
CiSTM said:
I like the taste. I started with cigars and I love 'em. Some times you don't want to buy expensive cigars and you just buy good topacco.
But that's not why you started. I mean, were you just curious? Curious enough to try a seriously addicting drug?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You know, it starts with a cigarette here and there and then you just... start.
There's not really a reason. I really love it though.

Black_Ice said:
I ask the same question.

Because the effects are fun. It's stupid, but it really frees you from your constraints and fears. Especially as an angsty teen alcohol is a gift from heaven.

With smoking, I would guess peer pressure and curiosity at first, the effects of stress relief and addictive aspect later on.

baultista

Banned
Fantastical said:
Isn't that only because their craving that cigarette? :p

I mean, the first time you smoke a cigarette, you don't feel relaxed do you?
I thought so too...

I asked a guy on my hockey team why he started, and this is pretty much what he said:

"Yeah, I used to think 'nahh what's the point of smoking' but then I tried it and I was like 'damn, this is awesome'"

I haven't seen him in close to a year (maybe more) but he wasn't a pack-a-day smoker back then. Come to think of it... that kid used to treat women like crap. He had some issues :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fantastical said:
But that's not why you started. I mean, were you just curious? Curious enough to try a seriously addicting drug?
Probably some peer pressure too. No one wants to look like a square in front of their friends.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Fantastical said:
People smoke weed or do other drugs at least partly because of the effects.
you know smoking tobacco gives a slight buzz right?

anyway, as with most things like this the reason most people start is because they're curious. they want to try it for themselves to see what it's like. some people keep doing it cause they enjoy it (or enjoy parts of it) and they get addicted or continue to do it in moderation. Other people never do it again.

ultimately it's just curiosity. various other factors influence why people continue to do these things.

I started smoking because it seemed a cool thing to do at the time. Considering that was when I was 13, it's hard to work out whether I still think it's cool or if a couple of decades of addiction has just brainwashed me. Ultimately though I gue-

Puck said:
They want to end their miserable existence quicker than normal. And destroy everything and everyone around them at the same time.

Actually can I change my answer?

freddy

Banned
For me it was a forbidden fruit I had to try at the age of 11-12. After that it was reinforced by the peer group and friends. It became an everyday part of my life from around the age of 16 up until about 3 years ago when I quit cold turkey.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The reason i first put a cigarette in my mouth was i got to a point in my life where i was going to try stuff i shied away from. Prior to this point i didnt smoke, drink, do drugs, or other things like that. i was pretty puritanical. i was denying myself pleasure because it was the "proper" thing to do.

There were some things that i tried during this phase that after doing it i just did not like. Crazy binge drinking is one. Smoking wasnt.

Al-ibn Kermit

Smoking tobacco hightens the buzz from smoking weed so a lot of people get addicted that way.

I guess other people just bum enough off of a friend that smokes to get cravings.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Scrow said:
you know smoking tobacco gives a slight buzz right?

anyway, as with most things like this the reason most people start is because they're curious. they want to try it for themselves to see what it's like. some people keep doing it cause they enjoy it (or enjoy parts of it) and they get addicted or continue to do it in moderation. Other people never do it again.

ultimately it's just curiosity. various other factors influence why people continue to do these things.
I honestly didn't know that smoking tobacco gave you a buzz, but again I don't think that's why people start smoking it. Like I don't think when people have their first cigarette they are thinking "I'm going to feel so good after this" because it's not really a drug that is typically associated with feelings of pleasure.

And I guess you could call it curiosity... but I donno. It seems like people become "curious" because they mostly see people they admire or their peers doing it. Eh... I'm not speaking as best as I can right now... it's pretty late.

Number 2 said:
The reason i first put a cigarette in my mouth was i got to a point in my life where i was going to try stuff i shied away from. Prior to this point i didnt smoke, drink, do drugs, or other things like that. i was pretty puritanical. i was denying myself pleasure because it was the "proper" thing to do.

There were some things that i tried during this phase that after doing it i just did not like. Crazy binge drinking is one. Smoking wasnt.
Assuming the pleasure comment includes cigarettes, are cigarettes really pleasurable the first time or is it just relief that you have had that cigarette that you have been thinking about while you were stuck on an airplane after you've become addicted?

Seriously asking this.

Karakand said:
Because it makes people that don't smoke wonder why I do smoke.
That's probably the best reason I've heard. :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
For me, it started with hot, long, sex. The kind that makes your fucking knees numb. I needed a smoke after that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I actually started smoking because of alcohol. I used to drink a lot in college, and sometimes when you're drinking, you suddenly want to try things.

Ever since then I've associated drinking and smoking. I've now quit smoking, and am quite happy with my decision. Drinking, on the other hand, will be a life long passion.

Black_Ice said:

What are you, 12 years old?

Fantastical said:
Assuming the pleasure comment includes cigarettes, are cigarettes really pleasurable the first time or is it just relief that you have had that cigarette that you have been thinking about while you were stuck on an airplane after you've become addicted?

Seriously asking this.

Cigarettes were disgusting the first time I tried them, but nowadays, when I'm offered a cigarette, it's hard for me to say no. I actually hate the taste even now, but love the feeling that comes with smoking an American Spirit.

Krowley

When you first start there is a buzz... It's actually fairly potent if you inhale properly. It makes you kinda dizzy and drunk feeling. It's the main reason some people vomit when they first try a tobacco product. It also happens with snuff, or chewing tobacco.

When you are a stupid teenager, even a mild buzz is kind of attractive. That's what got me started. After about a week, you are smoking purely for the cravings and the buzz is gone.

BowieZ

Banned
Something very scary and exciting about fire; people always run to see a fire. They're very proud if they have a fireplace. And I think that's what smoking is really all about. That's the power of smoke; it's just this thing: "I got fire right here in my hand. Smoke and fire is literally coming right out of my mouth!" And it's very intimidating to the non-smoker, cos it's like talking to someone that's going: "my head could open up, lava could explode out, pour right down my face... doesn't bother me a bit."

Krowley

dreamcastmaster said:
Forget the health concerns, this really is the worst part about smoking, no more buzz but an addiction.

Yeah, it's basically like a trap. Very sucky drug. I'm glad I finally quit.

Arjen

Started smoking veacuase of the peer pressure at, stayed for the stress relieve moments when i was in University.
Quit 1 week ago, go me!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fantastical said:

i guarantee you that the first time you have a cigarette and really take it in you will get a buzz from it. This is the reason why the first smoke of the day is usually one of the best. Its also the reason why i take breaks from smoking from time to time. i do it when i want to.

i think its also important to differentiate between addiction and craving. You can have cravings for anything that makes you feel good. You can also become addicted in the same way. The two things are different though. If im stuck somewhere and i cant smoke i usually dont even think about it. If i do i acknowledge its something i want and carry on with business as usual.

As someone who has been addicted, and i mean really addicted, to a drug before i can say that smoking is, at least in my view, not even in the same league. i never could not sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time for a week or ever get comfortable and sit in one place because i did not have a smoke. i think the reason why people cant stop smoking is very similar to how people cant stop eating or drinking alcohol. The ease of which you can get the product and the fairly inexpensive cost of it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Krowley said:
When you first start there is a buzz... It's actually fairly potent if you inhale properly. It makes you kinda dizzy and drunk feeling. It's the main reason some people vomit when they first try a tobacco product. It also happens with snuff, or chewing tobacco.

When you are a stupid teenager, even a mild buzz is kind of attractive. That's what got me started. After about a week, you are smoking purely for the cravings and the buzz is gone.
Number 2 said:
i guarantee you that the first time you have a cigarette and really take it in you will get a buzz from it. This is the reason why the first smoke of the day is usually one of the best. Its also the reason why i take breaks from smoking from time to time. i do it when i want to.

i think its also important to differentiate between addiction and craving. You can have cravings for anything that makes you feel good. You can also become addicted in the same way. The two things are different though. If im stuck somewhere and i cant smoke i usually dont even think about it. If i do i acknowledge its something i want and carry on with business as usual.

As someone who has been addicted, and i mean really addicted, to a drug before i can say that smoking is, at least in my view, not even in the same league. i never could not sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time for a week or ever get comfortable and sit in one place because i did not have a smoke. i think the reason why people cant stop smoking is very similar to how people cant stop eating or drinking alcohol. The ease of which you can get the product and the fairly inexpensive cost of it.
Honestly didn't know that. Good to know. But, not to sound like a broken record, does someone really START smoking to feel that buzz. Like looks at a cigarette, goes to smoke it for the first time without ever knowing what it actually feels like to smoke one and know that it will make them feel good. That would be more of a reason why they would keep smoking. I would think they would smoke weed if they wanted that, but I guess that's a assuming they have access to that and stuff. Hm, I guess that would be a reason why some people start smoking. Again, good to know.

Arjen said:
Started smoking veacuase of the peer pressure at, stayed for the stress relieve moments when i was in University.
Quit 1 week ago, go me!
Awesome! Good luck, man. Did you quit cold turkey?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Like others have said, curiosity. Its the most basic thing that can be applied to just about the first time to anything. Curious if its fun, curious if it feels nice, curious to see what the deal is.

Everybody I know who smokes started because of stress. With tons of people around them that smokes, it's hard for them to quit. I don't smoke so I can't judge. I do encourage them to quit though.

Spoo

For me, it was curiosity (smoked once or twice in my teens with the cool kids from High School), and then -- much later in my life -- it was simply inertia. I was drinking, hanging out with my roommates and friends, and it just made sense to relax and smoke with one of my newer friends.

From there -- assuming that kind of thing happens often enough to you -- you slowly move from casual smoker space to consistant smoker (who often denies addiction right up to the point where he tries to stop).

And sure, anyone who thinks you don't get anything from smoking tobacco hasn't smoked tabacco. It's somewhat relaxing despite what's physically happening to you, and the deep breaths you do definitely contribute to that. After a while, the whole thing becomes one gigantic routine; as natural as eating, driving, sleeping. You start to "link" daily normal activities with the act of smoking, and you immediately recognize the missing factor when you go to do an activity and there's not a cigarette firmly lodged inbetween your fingers.

The hardest thing to do is actually explain to people why you start smoking, and what you get out of it (people don't get it) -- though, when you announce you're quitting, or whatever, people feign intelligence about what it's like emotionally and physical to quit :) It's a little different for everyone, but the "steps" which lead down the road of addiction are all pretty much the same, or similar.

So yeah, my answer is : curiosity -> inertia -> routine -> addiction -> routine -> GAF

BowieZ

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
Everybody I know who smokes started because of stress. With tons of people around them that smokes, it's hard for them to quit. I don't smoke so I can't judge. I do encourage them to quit though.
People start smoking because of stress?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BowieZ said:
i dont see why that is so unbelievable. If nicotine did nothing at all people wouldnt keep at it. Its the reason why people dont smoke basil. If basil gave a buzz you better believe people would be raiding the spice rack.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
You have NO idea if you are a non smoker how it helps cope with stress. It is more effective than the other way people deal with stress: eating.

It also is less fattening.

It has negative health effects, it has positive health effects. Both are exaggerated, although the positive doesn't get much limelight so the exaggerations are much smaller (IE it can't CURE Alzheimer's but it is proven to be a good way to prevent it.

I smoke flat out because I like it. I tried quitting, I got past the cravings and nothing, but I realized I actually LIKE smoking. Going outside, headphones on, and enjoying my 5 minutes of solitude with a cigarette. I don't answer the phone, I don't talk to people, I am just silent.

Then there is the social outlet, in a loud club its the easiest way to talk to a girl. I'd say a third of my hookups back when I did that were girls I met while having a smoke.

Spoo

BowieZ said:

Not unheard of, but in this case there is a 99.99998% probability of a second party involved. I've frequently heard people "referring" to cigarettes as a cure for their stress; or they light up in front of others and say "gee whiz, am I stressed! Thank God for smokes." etc. It makes the person wonder if it works, just like some people wonder if their friends' diet pills work, or whatever.

It cannot be overstated enough that one of the main reasons anyone does anything to their bodies almost *always* has to do with someone else being an example for the act -- whether they "peer pressure" someone into it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom