• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moé/Lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Amakusa said:
YES!

Now thats some old school

Yeah it is man! Those were the days!

Fireye said:
kubo.jpg

Sweet cel!

Decado

DrForester said:
While Holo could be seen as a "moe" character. For me the whole "moe" thing has much more to do with the content of the show, and not just the design of the characters.

Would anyone really argue that Kino's Journey, or shows from Yoshitoshi ABe like Lain or Haibane Renmei are "moe", and should be grouped in the like with say the many "moe" shows of the past few years like Lucky Star? Some shows, while they have the "moe" like character designs do not use that design as pandering to fans and it not the focus or intent of the show.
Seems like they were pandering to fans, to me. Nothing like Haibane Renmei that I recall.

Maybe "ecchi" or whatever is what I'm thinking of.

eggandI

Banned
DrForester said:
While Holo could be seen as a "moe" character. For me the whole "moe" thing has much more to do with the content of the show, and not just the design of the characters.

Would anyone really argue that Kino's Journey, or shows from Yoshitoshi ABe like Lain or Haibane Renmei are "moe", and should be grouped in the like with say the many "moe" shows of the past few years like Lucky Star? Some shows, while they have the "moe" like character designs do not use that design as pandering to fans and it not the focus or intent of the show.

Great point. It's definitely not entirely character based. Lain is one of my fav shows and that is about the furthest you can get from a moeblob show.

Dabookerman said:
I stand erected.
:lol

Geneijin

mrklaw said:
How much of it is genuinely trying to appeal to loli fans, and how much of it is perhaps just aimed at middle school girls?

Are we mixing two things up, perhaps the market has changed - perhaps you're looking at it from an older, western perspective and projecting your culture onto it, turning it 'perverted'?

plus, making 'older' characters look crazy young/have exaggerated cuteness may just be a styling thing.

You only have to look for animes targeted at girls, or in the Shoujo genre, to see the apparent differences like in Kyou Kara Maou, Saiunkoki Monogatari, Ouran High School Host Club, Aishiteru Ze Baby, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Nana and Shugo Chara.

There's just sadly that many aimed at trying to appeal to the moe-centric crowd. While I'll watch some, the balance between them and other genres is pretty awful lately.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Kandrick said:
Quick search turned up this.

Looks loli enough to me :lol

I don't know man. This, and the Ikkitousen picture above both look like fully grown and developed women (with the exception of that one on the far right there with red knees). I'm seein big hips, big breasts, long bodies, and (somewhat) proportionate heads. You could tell me they were 15, 12, or 26 and it wouldn't make a damn difference since you can slap any old number of age on a cartoon character and it wouldn't change the appearance. IMO, if we are going to play guilt games with cartoons then do it based off the looks, and not what fictional age gets put on what fictional character or drawing. I dunno... this is overly explanatory I guess, but I think that's how I feel about it for the most part.

[EDIT: Camel toe!]

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pretty much everything you hate about current anime can be blamed on Tenchi (which of course came out in 1992). :lol

Cast filled with 10+ females that all want the main (stupid, indecisive, apparently asexual) guy. Check.

No actual ending in order to please unsatisfiable fanbase. Check.

The most popular character with fans being a loli, (which lead to the loli-themed spinoff)? (Sasami)? Check. (Technically, Washu spent all her time in loli-form too, but she's really Seven Hundred.)

jmdajr

Great Rumbler said:
I wish that moe/lolicon wasn't such a big part of the modern anime scene.

Bring back the ultraviolence and dark, sexual undertones of 80's and early 90's anime!!

sounds good to me

Kikujiro said:
A lot of people call it one of the best anime series and I think that if nowadays Gurren Lagann is considered one of the best anime series then anime quality has really dropped down.
No, all that means is that you don't like show and it says nothing of the quality or the current state of anime industry.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Angry Grimace said:
Pretty much everything you hate about current anime can be blamed on Tenchi (which of course came out in 1992). :lol

Cast filled with 10+ females that all want the main (stupid, indecisive, apparently asexual) guy. Check.

No actual ending in order to please unsatisfiable fanbase. Check.

The most popular character with fans being a loli, (which lead to the loli-themed spinoff)? (Sasami)? Check. (Technically, Washu spent all her time in loli-form too, but she's really Seven Hundred.)

You know, I had forgotten all about Sammi being a loli, and I was a pretty big Tenchi Muyo fan, too.

Tenchi was good though. It gets a pass.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eh, you also had Ah! My Goddess around that time and Ranma 1/2 introduced tsundere to the anime world.

I like to blame Evangelion for metastasizing all that stuff.

eggandI

Banned
Hitokage said:

Ooh yes. Definitely. For a time there I thought I was the only person who enjoyed Eva not because of Rei and Asuka. It seems that most people who hated The end of EVA hated it because of what it did to their favorite characters. Just goes to show how much impact these catering-to characters can have on a show.

Trakdown

Branduil said:
The funny thing about Eva is that Anno was trying to criticize certain trends but he only made them far, far worse.

That seems to happen a lot. I'm sure Satoshi Kon was amused that they made Maromi merchandise after Paranoia Agent came out.

Novid

Banned
Hitokage said:
Eh, you also had Ah! My Goddess around that time and Ranma 1/2 introduced tsundere to the anime world.

I dont get why Evangelion is blamed for anything. Yeah it was over the top but it didn't lead into this whole moe issue. Tsundere didn't break a whole fanbase apart. And didnt they do a recent series from the Ah! books?

Back to the interview - they said all there VA stuff was based in Texas or Cali - My mind wonders if the VA's and the translator/script writer if they got Unionized, maybe they would have been accepted easer by the Executives in the Kids Business? I know they want to save costs but some of you animators know that the Animation Union in the states is the butt of the Major Hollywood Unions jokes. And they do have somewhat of a defeatist attitude. So Im just wondering if the Dubbers got unionized would it have made a difference?

Novid

Banned
Trakdown said:
That seems to happen a lot. I'm sure Satoshi Kon was amused that they made Maromi merchandise after Paranoia Agent came out.

Wasnt Kon or Anno planning to do some Socio-Political Anime movie about the KidReen or some shit? Whats going on with that project?

Alucrid

Banned
The Frankman said:
Once you see it you'll die laughing. Oh God if only my PhotoShop didn't crap out on me.

Then again it could be worse with the lolicrap.

Image (safe but no way I'm posting it) - http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/152409-Kilik%2064/409/53/eiken_display.jpg

But people watch it for the story. Right?

Trakdown said:

Never watched all of that series, I only caught it when it was on adult swim once or twice. I guess I should go watch it and figure out what the hell that pink dog thing was.

Alucrid

Banned
The Frankman said:
Good thing that never caught on, imagine how lolicon could've been nowadays if so.

With back problems?

Seriously though, outrageous, even if it's for "comedy" or whatever they're aiming for.

Hitokage said:
Kimagure Orange Road played the tsundere factor a couple of years ahead of Ranma.

Ranma (possibly) introduced the harem. Well, at least, it's the first show I recognise with one. A bunch of girls who have interest in a guy who has interest in, well, no one.

It all used to be about the love traingle. Girl likes guy, guy likes other girl, both girls are friends/associates.

For the guy who said the loli fetish is as popular in the US as it is in Japan you forget one big thing:

Age_of_Consent_updated_for_Canad-1.png

Age of Consent. In Japan it's 13 and for some reason I thought it was 15

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
lunarworks said:
Ranma (possibly) introduced the harem. Well, at least, it's the first show I recognise with one. A bunch of girls who have interest in a guy who has interest in, well, no one.

It all used to be about the love traingle. Girl likes guy, guy likes other girl, both girls are friends/associates.
Ranma was a multi-dimensional love polygon, with Akane, Boy Ranma, and Girl Ranma all having multiple love interests so to speak.

Tenchi was probably more important, and the significant change going from Urusei Yatsura to Tenchi, though, is that you go from a protagonist who wants a harem but never really gets it, to somebody who has a harem but doesn't really want it. It's as if Ataru got his wish but became virtuous in the process, because it kinda kills the wish-fulfillment fantasy when your wishes are portrayed as base and degenerate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Frankman said:
For the guy who said the loli fetish is as popular in the US as it is in Japan you forget one big thing:

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp252/infamousgamma/Age_of_Consent_updated_for_Canad-1.png[IMG]

[spoiler]Age of Consent. In Japan it's 13 and for some reason I thought it was 15[/spoiler][/QUOTE]That's simply the Federal minimum. Individual areas have their own laws.

The Frankman said:

Age_of_Consent_updated_for_Canad-1.png

Age of Consent. In Japan it's 13 and for some reason I thought it was 15
concorde.jpg

Angry Grimace

The Frankman said:
But still a decent enough gap comparing the minimums.
Not really. The Japanese Penal code was written in 1908. I hardly think the age of consent written into that 100 year old code gives rise to an inference that Japan as a modern culture has a predilection for prepubescent girls.

I watched the first episode of the new Cobra the Animation series. It helped cleanse away the stench of moe that's been lingering in the air for a while.

Angry Grimace

The Frankman said:
Got no map but by prefecture I'm reading 13 to 18.
I'm not sure what you're getting at even if we established a specific age. I'm simply saying that the Age of Consent is of questionable relevance in understanding anything about Japanese culture.

Let's not forget that Japan also developed RapeLay, but I have no reason to believe that the country has a huge problem with rape, either.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at even if we established a specific age. I'm simply saying that the Age of Consent is of questionable relevance in understanding anything about Japanese culture.

Let's not forget that Japan also developed RapeLay, but I have no reason to believe that the country has a huge problem with rape, either.

That's right. The entire population gathered together, and helped develop this game guys.

Also, from what I've heard, rape isn't a huge problem. Groping is though.

hteng

Banned
the industry will kill itself if this trend continues, it seems the quality stuff are only found on Theatricals releases nowadays (girl who leapt through time,summer wars, rebuild of eva, ponyo...etc). I've washed my hands off, i still read the occassional manga (black lagoon, berserk, five star stories, battle angel, blade of the immortal...etc slightly mature stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom