• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Regiruler

A weird request, but for future awards would it be possible to see a list of titles that one didn't list, weighted by their ranking on people with the highest affinity? Basically a "what you missed" list.

Happy to see Bloodborne at #1, and MH4U getting love too! I do wish Soma had been higher though...

My fellow Powder Kegs:

How my Top-10 fared:
1. Bloodborne (#1)
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (#2)
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (#3)
4. Soma (#22)
5. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (#17)
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X (#11)
7. Rocket League (#4)
8. Destiny: The Taken King (#18)

Hell yes.

Rcwztu0.gif

amazing ;___;

Might as well post how my Top 10 fared:
1. Life is Strange (#5)
2. MGSV (#3)
3. Until Dawn (#9)
4. Bloodborne (#1)
5. Tales from the Broderlands (#14)
6. Her Story (#23)
7. Undertale (#8)
8. The Beginnner's Guide (#46)
9. Arkham Knight (#13)
10. Axiom Verge (#29)

And Honorable Mentions:

Witcher 3 (#2)
Contradiction (#58)
Rocket League (#4)

Not bad 7/10 appeared on the top 20.

Shocked that Rainbow Six: Siege is so low in the rankings. People here really need to try it.

I think the game is just out only few months so people didn't try it yet. I expected if Until Dawn released at the same time, it wouldn't rank so high. Holiday sale really helped it a lot

Looking at the number of points by genre (kudos for the amazing amounts of data), it's remarkable how some genres like MMO, racing, sports or strategy seem to have so few points. I'm including sports because it's a very steep step between Rocket League and the next game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is a good quality list. I can't really argue with the any of the concensus.

My personal GotY is Battlefront. Only because I sunk more hours into it than any game last year and have a blast. The fanservice in it is fantastic. And also, I have yet to play Bloodborne, Life is Strange, or The Witcher 3, lol. (Need to get in that soon.)

Second would probably be Until Dawn or Rocket League.

Again, solid list, and very well done on the wealth of data.

randomkid

I was searching through my affinity list thinking that it'd have at least some Way of the Samurai 4 or D4 mentions but nope :(

There used to be a "hipster" affinity list that overweighted niche games, I think maybe Durante made it? That would probably be more useful for you.

Warxard

Banned
Of course, the PS+ inclusion certainly greatly helped Rocket League. What I rather meant is that there are plenty of solid indie games that managed to grow in popularity without such help and I personally am guessing that, considering the quality of Rocket League, it would have done well enough amidst the sea of indies without PS+ as well.

I genuinely doubt that

--

I am also unsurprised to see Halo 5 not in the top ten for Shooter of the Year.

GRaider81

What a great top 20 and a great year.

Haven't played RotTR, undertale, or Ori but I have Them in my steam library with exception of Ori where I'll get the enhanced version.

2016 really was a great year for games.

I guessed Xenoblade Chronicles X would be number 11. Didn't see Mario Maker only at 10 though that's where it was on my personal list. As a long RPG coming out in December it did really well. Wonder if coming out in earlier in the year could have gotten it to break in the top ten.

It's a really great game that improves upon the original Xenoblade in several ways and is very unique. The sense of exploration is unparalleled for me.

Weird for affinity. So SalvaPot and me have 97% affinity but while we have the same first and third game we only have three other games in common and those are in all different places. Though his/her other 5 games are am interested in. Regiruler and me only had number two exactly the same and again four other games in common though the placement is closer than SalvaPot. Other four games he/she listed are interesting to me.

I guess affinity is just similar tastes but I feel 97% isn't really any different from 76%. Still a neat bonus to look at.

Theodoricos

Wow, I'm surprised that Undertale is that low on the list.

That said, I'm definitely glad to see it and Life is Strange in the top 10. Also nice to see Ori and the Blind Forest make it in the top 20.

Bolivar687

Banned
What an outstanding job putting this together. Great lists. Those engagement levels are awesome, even higher than 2011. It was a pretty great year to play games.

lt519

FPS is dad..

Such an awesome year for gaming, really underrated year in the number of quality titles. Most my list didn't even make the Top 20 and I totally understand why.

Same with Ori figured it would of beat out games like Until Dawn.

Strategy Game of the Year: Heroes of the Storm = 92 points, 4 honorable mentions
2. Invisible, Inc. = 74 points, 10 honorable mentions
3. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void = 72 points, 4 honorable mentions
4. Sunless Sea = 62 points, 4 honorable mentions
5. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance = 51 points, 1 honorable mention
6. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. = 43 points, 3 honorable mentions
7. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft = 29 points, 3 honorable mentions
8. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon = 19 points, 1 honorable mention
9. You Must Build a Boat = 11 points, 2 honorable mentions
10. Homeworld Remastered Collection = 10 points, 1 honorable mention

This really puts into perspective how out of step I am with the median demographics here. Four of these were on my ballot, and it would have been five if SteamWorld Heist had been correctly slotted into the #8 position at 26 points rather than being mistakenly classified as a shooter. This is a list that tops out at 92 points with a game that finished at #44 overall. (And how was Hearthstone qualified again?)

Well, I suppose this was the year people bought PS4s. And it's kind of satisfying to see my blurb for Yoshi quoted in the OP.

Greetings to my affinity buddies:

My recommendations list begins with The Witcher III and Bloodborne at 4 points apiece. I think that may just be statistical noise. And I thought Rocket League and Life is Strange would finish high, but not that high; the latter wasn't on my map at all and it didn't occur to me that it had caught on here even more than a titanic indie hit like Undertale.

affinity bros

I faired alright....

1. Bloodborne (#1)
2. Until Dawn (#9)
3. Grim Fandango Remastered (#?) - Didn't count, maybe?
4. Yakuza 5 (#27)
5. Rocket League (#4)
6. Dragon Quest Heroes (#74)
7. Star Wars Battlefront (#24)
8. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (#?) - Didn't count, maybe?
9. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (#40)
10. Broken Age (#269) - lol

Edit: Only reason Witcher 3 isn't on my list is because I haven't played Witcher 2 yet and I can't play 3 without playing 2... That being said, I love The Witcher 1.

Shahed

Trails of Cold Steel got SNUBBED.

Seriously though, holy shit that year was amazing. Look at all those fucking awesome games. And this year is going to be even crazier.

Persona 5 all the way, right guys?
It came so soon after Second Chapter. I'm guessing most wanted to finish that first before playing it. They're also long games so a lot of people probably haven't finished Cold Steel. Heck I still haven't finished SC.

Besides the game also isn't out in Europe yet either. It might go on my list next, but there'll be a lot of competition.

DNAbro

That said, I'm definitely glad to see it and Life is Strange in the top 10. Also nice to see Ori and the Blind Forest make it in the top 20.

Pretty sure Undertale sold the least out of everything out of the top 10. If it was also on consoles I'm sure it would have been higher.

Here's how my list fared:

1. Undertale (#8)
2. Pillars of Eternity (#15)
3. Life is Strange (#5)
4. Rock Band 4 (#89)
5. Rocket League (#4)
6. Cities: Skylines (#21)
7. Transformers: Devastation (#34)
8. The Beginner's Guide (#46)
9. Tales from the Borderlands (#14)
10. Splatoon (#6)

Thanks timetokill, cheesemeister, and everyone who helped out for putting in the work! The affinity and data is cool to go through.

HBSjJtd.gif

party-on-dudes-o.gif

This really puts into perspective how out of step I am with the median demographics here. Four of these were on my ballot, and it would have been five if SteamWorld Heist had been correctly slotted into the #8 position at 26 points rather than being mistakenly classified as a shooter.

We have to go through hundreds and hundreds of games. Multi-genre games like SteamWorld Heist get judgment calls.

I'm starting to think that I don't hate the "Bethesda free pass" narrative quite as much as I used to.

Fallout 4 is such a piece of shit game. I really didn't expect it to even rank.

Skikkiks

my top 10 versus GAF is some dire shit lol

1. (12) Ori and the Blind Forest
2. (5) Life is Strange
3. (60) Just Cause 3
4. (201) Chroma Squad
5. (58) Contradiction
6. (47) Mad Max
7. (40) Tearaway
8. (130) Tembo the Badass Elephant
9. (310) Jotun
10. (278) MonsterBag

affinity scores in the toilet

good lists, will list again

lt519

Feel like the recommended lists could use some tweaking. How is that derived? Every year it just reads like a play the games you missed in the Top 10 for me.

Affinity lists also flopped a bit for me this year, I wasn't on a single other persons list :0 Guess my list was a little too erratic. Maybe that's why the recommendations are to just play the Top 10 games...

Great job though, always fun looking through the data!

A damned fine group of people.

Your lowest affinity was 24 points higher than my #1 affinity lol

Ah I see if you basically have any permutation of the top ten list you'll have really high affinities with other people!

Feel like the recommended lists could use some tweaking. How is that derived? Every year it just reads like a play the games you missed in the Top 10 for me.

They're the votes only of the people on your affinity list, those whose ballots are the most like yours, minus your list.

Top Bottom