• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Book of Eli (GAF meltdown incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm going to watch this for the Sunday matinee. Cheaper tickets and the theater isn't crawling with kids, Hoo-rah.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Just got back;

What an absolutely great film. We came out beyond satisfied. The story was great, leaving you both happy and mystified at the same time.I haven't experienced any of its sort, in such a long time. That twist was daring and gave me a grin the size of
a suspension bridge
. Cinematography was fantastic. There's moments in this film I'd want to frame and hang up on my wall. And
Al Green was a great way to get me mesmerized and into it.
Action scenes were phenomenal. The combat felt so fluent and realistically portrayed at the same time.
Mila throwing that grenade, blowing up the car and running away as it's flying towards her. A+.

Performances where great. I was shocked at
the moment Eli was shot. He played it off like the hero he was.
Absolutely astounding.

Best post-apocalyptic film I've ever seen.The kind of film I'd like to have done myself.

I might go see this again. And I'm there day one for the Blu-Ray.

Now if you'll excuse me. I'll put on Al Green and rate this a 100% on rotten tomatoes.

Gary Whitta. You are amazing.

Sanjuro

Here is my full opinion on the film here. Again, I think the aspect that a fellow member on the site being the screenwriter is something pretty neat. After the failed attempt of going to the screening, I went to a matinee the following morning. I don’t think it is a great or good film. It’s a decent film which I don’t regret going to see. I prefer the theaters as my first option so it’s safe to say I’ve seen absolute rubbish on a frequent basis depending on how the month is going.

I’m not a huge fan of Denzel so initially it was a tough sell for me going in. Funny enough, he was the best part about the film. His entire performance he just seemed to really get the whole idea of the film. I love Gary Oldman, but everyone else including him just never reached a level of being immersed into the film’s world. Everyone just seemed like they were in on a joke. The dialog suffers from this and as a viewer I just don’t want to place an emotional investment in any characters like that.

The directing style was interesting. There were a few nice shots and transitions I thought were pretty interesting especially in the later part of the film. The slow motion technique used I grew tired of almost immediately. It really isn’t a big deal, but when you pull that during a scene which is intended to leave an impact it just seems very insincere. However when your post-apocalyptic world looks much like a modern day Nevada, I guess slow motion walking is the way to go. The cinematography was very nice though.

Now for the twist. I suspected the big revelation pretty early in the film. It’s not a twist that will make you feel silly for not picking up as there are several moments in the film which in any sort of reality just don’t go together with it. If you can tell by my name here you might assume I’m a fan of samurai characters, so the intended (or not) throwback to
Zatoichi
I thought was pretty cool. This was probably my most positive feeling about the film in retrospect.

If you read EviLore’s write-up he is pretty spot on with the conclusion of Mila’s character. But I suppose she has inherited some sort of power from the big guy? Considering the feelings on faith here on this forum I don’t see many buying into the entire concept and my first gut reaction is this was a very violent version of “The Invention of Lying”. Even if the contents of the book were as powerful as everyone assumed the characters introduced in this universe were more likely be too busy raping objects to pay any attention.

Congrats again Gary, hopefully we get more from you soon.

Speevy

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
He's an established writer now. He'll be fine.

More to the point, what's the probability that an undiscovered screenwriter gets his script approved to star two Oscar winning actors, and then it becomes the #1 movie in America?

If that happened to me, I would be happy with a 1% on www.rottentomatoes.com

I honestly wouldn't care if the critics told me my movie would need to be 100x greater to even reach the heights of Uwe Boll.

This kinda luck only happens on Entourage.

Speevy said:
More to the point, what's the probability that an undiscovered screenwriter gets his script approved to star two Oscar winning actors, and then it becomes the #1 movie in America?

If that happened to me, I would be happy with a 1% on www.rottentomatoes.com

I honestly wouldn't care if the critics told me my movie would need to be 100x greater to even reach the heights of Uwe Boll.

This kinda luck only happens on Entourage.

Exactly. Gary won't be hurting for work for the foreseeable future.

Movie was alright. Pretty straightforward. Nothing more, nothing less. Not much character development when it comes to the cast.

I loved the atmosphere and the use of colors. The music reminded me of 70s/80s sci fi movies. I loved the music used both in the intro and ending.

I wouldn't pay to see it again, but I really do hope the movie is a huge success on your part, Gary. Congrats on making it big.

P.S. It's funny because as far as technology goes,
nothing really works in a post apocolyptic world, yet when you see that old woman cranking up the music box, it just shows you how the oldest and most out of date stuff are better than the modern ones.

Neverfade

Spoilers in here:

The few instances of him picking up on things whilst not blind kinda bother me.

The BIGGEST one of all is how he picks up on Martha & George eating people. I'd totally accept that he could figure it out on audio cues alone -- she IS shaking with the tea set however, but it's not until several minutes later when he.... sees graves?! (wtf) that he figures out their going to be on the menu? Why not book it when he hears ol' jitters coming with the drinks?

MMaRsu

Banned
Seeing this movie no matter what. Post apocalyptic, Gary Oldman, Denzel, and written by a gaffer. Ofcourse I'm going to see it :p

Cyan

Banned
Shit. Just got spoiled.

Ah well, it's happened before. Will be seeing this movie as soon as I get a chance.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Getting called out a few times, so okay, countless gaping plot holes. Let's see. Once again, **unmarked spoilers**

First, there are basically two ways to approach this film, either that jesus is protecting Denzeldevil, or he isn't, and it's his impossibly good luck and heightened senses and other contrivances that carry him through to the end. Neither works particularly well.

But first, the backdrop. Apocalypse plus 30 years. Nuclear apocalypse happens, "everyone gets together and destroys every single bible." Really? There's such a large scale organized effort to destroy every copy of the bible immediately following a nuclear holocaust where almost everyone dies? Just because some people think religion was to blame for what happened? Doesn't pass.

Food. Cannibalism is anathema to the townsfolk, but where are they getting food otherwise? Underground twinkie warehouses? From the desolate wasteland where nothing is seen to be growing until for some reason when the main characters get to the major population center (i.e. major nuclear target) of San Francisco? Mila doesn't understand that Denzel would be shooting a bird for food in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Things must be real cushy at the tavern. Water source could = irrigation = farming, but the food they're eating in town doesn't reflect that.

Moving on, you can argue that Denzeldevil doesn't care much about whatever opposition he comes across, but why exactly is Mila totally nonchalant about openly walking through the wasteland-o'-cannibals to get back to town after leaving the spring? One lone unarmed girl, taking what is presumably a major route (by nuclear holocaust standards) since Denzel walked through it too at the start? I'm surprised you can be that retarded and survive to adulthood under the circumstances she grew up in.

Speaking of Mila's behavior, there's also the backseat strangler scene. Wow, was that a convenient one. So your plan is to kill or otherwise incapacitate the driver, with Titus sitting right there. But he looks at you like prime wife slash rape victim material, so I suppose he won't just shoot you if he can help it, whatever. So then the car crashes...and....? There is no point whatsoever to what she's doing unless she has precognition to the amazingly convenient multifaceted outcome of the crash.

Anyway, back to the part where either Denzel is powered by jesus or he's the world's biggest contrivance. Yeah, as a lot of people have touched upon, the blindness aspect doesn't really work. There are several nods to it throughout the film, but apart from the nods he acts with the capabilities of a person who can see. But even so, the film seems to try to provide vaguely plausible explanations for everything that happens to ground itself from the explicitly supernatural. Stuck in the middle. Really, though, if you explain everything away via jesus there isn't much to talk about, as jesus is the universal plot justification nullifier. So we'll assume otherwise for the sake of argument.

Which leads to Mila walking off into the desert with Denzel's gear to presumably continue the badassery. As mentioned, what is going to make her successful in this endeavor? She's a 100 pound girl with a knife and sunglasses and nuclear apocalypse ipod. She has no combat training. She was immediately set upon by gangrapist cannibals the last time she didn't have the protection of Denzeldevil in the open wastes. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Gary Oldman wanting the bible. Setting aside the absurdity of all the bibles being deliberately destroyed in the post-apocalyptic wasteland (cough isolationist redneck cannibal ma and pa would probably have five on the shelf), Gary's argument for ruling the new world with it is pretty thin. You know, history shows that you really don't need to have a big elaborate book to successfully bring people under the control of faith. You can make shit up as you go along if there isn't something more convenient around, and illiterate radiation brain-poisoned wastelanders will surely eat anything (haw). The main point on display here ends up being that the bible has powers that are somehow special. What about the quran? I guess the quran isn't special enough to convert people, even though those are apparently around, going by alcatraz. That only the bible will work goes along with the underlying preachiness off the film. The bible has irreplaceably magic powers of persuasion, Mila is entranced after merely hearing the pre-meal prayer. Whatever.

Then there's more nitpicky stuff, like gigantic armored car of doom. They really have the fuel supply to justify using a vehicle like that, 30 years out when every other consumable is so limited? You can explain away their ammunition supply by virtue of them being in control of all of the town's available resources, but gigantic armored car of doom is like using your hummer instead of your prius when gas is being war rationed. You just wouldn't do it. Cue "but crazy Gary Oldman is a crazy guy on a mission! He doesn't care!" Uh-huh. Not really worth mentioning compared to the big stuff, since ultimately we're just talking about "big bad road warrior vehicle for the chase scene."

I'll stop there, gotta head out.

Az

Movies starts in about a hour so I am really excited damn. I'm really not going to see this because of Gary at all, just love Denzel, in a respectful "ey dude wanna beer?" kind of way.

Seth C

Neverfade said:
Spoilers in here:

The few instances of him picking up on things whilst not blind kinda bother me.

The BIGGEST one of all is how he picks up on Martha & George eating people. I'd totally accept that he could figure it out on audio cues alone -- she IS shaking with the tea set however, but it's not until several minutes later when he.... sees graves?! (wtf) that he figures out their going to be on the menu? Why not book it when he hears ol' jitters coming with the drinks?

They clearly tell him they are graves. That they pointed out the "graves" I think was his tipoff that something shady was going on. Basically, they were going way too far to convince them. Also, Solara clearly tells him there is a house there. And then he notes he didn't see their no trespassing sign.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Evilore. You're right. The ending with Mila was very LOL-worthy. A bit cheap if you ask me.

Not only cheap, but hilarious. If the movie was ten minutes longer, we would have watched her get raped, killed and eaten.

Blackhead

Redarse
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I'd comment on EviLore's post, but my jaw hurts and I don't feel like committing myself to sucking him off.
You haven't even watched the movie yet. Just post a hatergonnahate.gif and let it go ;)

Spoilers in this post:

Can't really quibble with EvilLore's post (well Kunis wasn't walking back to town after the spring, she was trying to catchup with Denzel) but I don't really see those as plotholes, more genre quirks. They have mad max motorcycles and hummers *shrug*. Book burnings are not unheard of, even in out present day, and hey the anarchists in the Spanish Civil war bombed churches when they could. I do find it curious that Gary oldman would think the bible a powerful weapon over a population that already tried to exterminate it but, like Denzel, he is an oldtimer and could just be holding unto impressions formed when he was younger. I found that clash of which heritage of the bible to follow interesting, especially as they included another view at the end (it's just another book to stick beside the Quran in a library). Yes the ending twist could be a big plothole (I'm still sticking to he was only partially/formerly blind ;) ) and I'm sympathetic to the view that Gary can't have it both ways by keeping the movie somewhat realistic and making the super fighting master blind. I'm going with suspension of disbelief on that one. Hmm... I wonder how Evillore responded to No Country for Old Men...

lsslave

Jew Gamer
WanderingWind said:
...are you saying the movie was meant for children? That's cold, man.

:lol :lol You got a genuine real laugh out of me :lol :lol

I largely think (though may be wrong) EviLore is playing up the anti-hype for GAF. I can't see anyone genuinely pick apart a movie's plot holes that much (albeit I wonder if he missed little details that explained some of them, and cut content wouldn't help either... thank god for deleted scenes :lol )

Seth C

lsslave said:
:lol :lol You got a genuine real laugh out of me :lol :lol

I largely think (though may be wrong) EviLore is playing up the anti-hype for GAF. I can't see anyone genuinely pick apart a movie's plot holes that much (albeit I wonder if he missed little details that explained some of them, and cut content wouldn't help either... thank god for deleted scenes :lol )

It's EviLore's schtick so I wouldn't be surprised. :D that said, the ending should not have been put to film. Seemed like a lame way to prep for a sequel for a movie that doesn't need one.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Seth C said:
It's EviLore's schtick so I wouldn't be surprised. :D that said, the ending should not have been put to film. Seemed like a lame way to prep for a sequel for a movie that doesn't need one.

The ending is the hardest part to do of anything. If you do too much, do too little, etc. it is insanely hard.

Even writing music I have a hell of a time finding the perfect ending to a song (Which is why if you listen a lot of songs do the fade out method, it is sometimes the easiest way to end a song. The abrupt "stop" is the other one)

I can't imagine movies or games or anything can be any easier to end, you really have to figure out the perfect way.

I liked the way that the film was made (the look, the music, the fight choreography, the shots, etc.), but I could not buy into the twist at all. I also noticed some of what EvilLore noticed regarding the ambiguous nature of food (and survival in general) in the wasteland. It's worth a watch because of how fucking cool it is, but it does kind of fall apart when you dig a little deeper.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Evil's post highlights lots of the issues I had with the movie... my wife loved it, I thought it was ok, my sisters boyfriend loved it, she thought it was ok... definitely not the worst movie I've seen and its definitely one of those movies that gets ppl talking, but the plot holes (or things that aren't explained clearly) just really bother the hell outta me....

edit:
my wife and I totally missed the eli being
blind
. I mean I noticed a few quirks throughout the movie starting with his interacting with the ipod and ending with the camera zoom in near the end, but I didn't really GET that this is what was being pointed out... ugh I feel retarded that I miss that. My wife missed it too, my sister however kinda noted it....

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I liked the way that the film was made (the look, the music, the fight choreography, the shots, etc.), but I could not buy into the twist at all. I also noticed some of what EvilLore noticed regarding the ambiguous nature of food (and survival in general) in the wasteland. It's worth a watch because of how fucking cool it is, but it does kind of fall apart when you dig a little deeper.

If you go too deep you lose the audience though. You have to make a movie entertaining, just like games have to be fun. They could have spent the extra time really explaining every single detail but it would have dragged out, sometimes you just have to let things go.

The argument I have with GI Joe and Transformers movies are epic with my friends about how they dig too deep into movies based on 30 minute commercials for toys :lol

Snowden

Banned
It was as bad as I expected, but at least it was free. I walked out twice to take phone calls. Usually, I'd wait until the film was over, but here, they were truly a blessing. :lol

wow, this movie was just plain bad. like im pretty much offended.

Also, someone from GAF wrote this movie? Can I have my money back please?

lsslave said:
If you go too deep you lose the audience though. You have to make a movie entertaining, just like games have to be fun. They could have spent the extra time really explaining every single detail but it would have dragged out, sometimes you just have to let things go.

The argument I have with GI Joe and Transformers movies are epic with my friends about how they dig too deep into movies based on 30 minute commercials for toys :lol

I can forgive some things not being explained, but there are too many instances (especially in light of the twist) that don't really make any sense. 'Faith' or 'God told him' just seems lazy to me.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I can forgive some things not being explained, but there are too many instances (especially in light of the twist) that don't really make any sense. 'Faith' or 'God told him' just seems lazy to me.

It could be better but we really don't know what content had to be cut, what is in deleted scenes, among other things.

The best we can do is wait to see what is all removed from it, find out what we missed for plot points (I'm sure there are many missed points of this) and take it from there.

I enjoy it for what it is, a popcorn flick, and am sure Whitta will improve as a writer in follow ups. At least I hope so :lol

Baker

Banned
Being a close-minded atheist, I thought the movie was great and the plot weak. I kept looking for some deeper meaning, but I stopped after hearing my fellow midwesterners converse over "how great a message about the power of Christ" the movie was while in the bathroom afterward.

I watched zero trailers and read nothing, so I had no idea this movie was about the Bible. :lol

bjork

I went and saw it again. Really like it. But then, I watch a movie to watch a movie. Plot-holes are fun to discuss, but they're not dealbreakers to me unless it's a series and something skips series logic (ie, Vegeta with a mustache in DBGT or whatever).

I think Eli is a cool character. Not so much because he won fights or whatever, but because he worked for his goal and achieved it, and was a good person. I like his speech at the end,
"Thank you for the friend that I made"
made me smile and leave happy even though
he passed away

And it's got Tom Waits. I could watch that guy in anything and listen to that raspy ass voice for hours. :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Baker said:
Being a close-minded atheist, I thought the movie was great and the plot weak. I kept looking for some deeper meaning, but I stopped after hearing my fellow midwesterners converse over "how great a message about the power of Christ" the movie was while in the bathroom afterward.

I watched zero trailers and read nothing, so I had no idea this movie was about the Bible. :lol

You know its funny, I have found no pro-religion message in the movie. It seems to show the corruption it causes just as quickly as far as I can tell.

el jacko

I have a quick question for Gary about the process of writing the screenplay. I noticed on Wikipedia that your original screenplay was rewritten by some other guy. How much did his rewrite affect the script? Did he just edit dialogue, or did he change everything around? I'm curious to know how much was changed in each rewrite.

Anyway, I liked it quite a bit, although I do have some issues. Gary Oldman's character could have been a lot more developed, and I thought the Mila Kunis/Denzel Washington relationship was essentially a walking cliché
- I mean, you really want me to believe that he's going to give it up to save her life after all this time just because he "forgot its teachings" and explain it away that easily?

I did think you handled the religion stuff really nicely, though.
Acknowledging the positive and negative influences the bible has had was really, really smart and made the film much more interesting than it could have been if it had just been "Jesus is power!" or some bullshit like that.
And of course the fight scenes were freaking sweet.

Seth C

lsslave said:
You know its funny, I have found no pro-religion message in the movie. It seems to show the corruption it causes just as quickly as far as I can tell.

Exactly as I said in an earlier post. The movie presents both the positive and negative influences of Christianity/religion and in the end, the Bible itself is no more important than any other book, except to Eli.

Gary, if you don't mind my asking, how religious are you as a person? I'd be interested to know, as it's not often that you see a movie that wears religion on its sleeve like this.

Also, the Hughes Brothers said that their liking of the script was big part of their finally doing another movie; did the film's religious connotations play a part in that?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Seth C said:
Exactly as I said in an earlier post. The movie presents both the positive and negative influences of Christianity/religion and in the end, the Bible itself is no more important than any other book, except to Eli.

It really is a character movie more than the setting in that example. To Eli it means everything, more than it actually matters overall.

For everyone who is "OMG ITS RELIGIOUS" I could turn around and make a comment about blind faith.

gdt

LOTS of unmarked spoilers in this thread :(. I was spoiled just as I was leaving to go see it by THIS POST.

No warning or anything.

Anywho, I liked this movie. Quite a bit.

I do agree, however, that if you dig too deep some holes start to present themselves (at least I think).

Yeah lots of clues were thrown around that SPOILER
he was blind
, but there were MANY instances were it seemed like the opposite.

So, I think
he was blind before he got The Voice, and lost his vision when he delivered the bible. But even that doesn't really work, because sometimes he was blind (or came off that way) and sometimes he clearly wasn't (or came off that way).

I liked the ending, but dig too deep and it kinda falls apart.

Aside from that, I really liked the movie. The cinematography was great, the score, Denzel, Gary Oldman was alot of fun, Mila Kunis was insanely hot and decent enough in her role.

I also liked that it didn't come off preachy (at all), so thumbs up Gary.

Drakken

SpeedingUptoStop said:
On the same note -
How did Eli get out of his room in Carnegie's place? The black guard said he had no idea, he was there the whole night, then he got shot. How did Eli get out?

Maybe a stretch, but
if he was indeed on a divinely inspired mission - I was thinking it may have been akin to how Peter escaped from prison in the book of Acts. He was able to miraculously walk right past the guards without being spotted.

Assuming it wasn't something like that, is it possible he escaped thorough the window? I remember them showing a window with bars on it or something; I don't remember exactly what it looked like.

I don't know, it wasn't bad but I wasn't crazy about it.... lot of elements just didn't seem to work out and I think Evil pointed out lot of things that I was concerned about, but I just had lot of suspension of disbelief issues since they were so vast covering many issues of logic, belief, setting, etc. Just so many things just didn't add up, so it seemed kind of uneven. Some great action sequences though.

ezekial45

Banned
I really enjoyed it. I liked the twist to be totally honest,
even though there were points in the movie where it seemed like he wasn't blind. Also, i wasn't really a fan of Mila taking up Eli's role at the end. It was a little lame to be honest.

Anyway, i got a couple questions:

Who was the guy loading the shotgun when the townsfolk were trashing the bar? Was he just some guy waiting to kill Carnegie?

How the hell did Solara get out of the cave? It really bugged me just showing her walking down the highway like a minute later as if nothing happened.

ezekial45 said:
Who was the guy loading the shotgun when the townsfolk were trashing the bar? Was he just some guy waiting to kill Carnegie?
It kinda looked like he was going to kill himself because everything was fucked up.

ezekial45 said:
How the hell did Solara get out of the cave? It really bugged me just showing her walking down the highway like a minute later as if nothing happened.

Already answered.

ezekial45

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
It kinda looked like he was going to kill himself because everything was fucked up.[/spoiler]

Already answered.

Yeah, thats what i thought too.
But we didn't hear a gunshot go off so i thought he was just some guy.

RS4- said:
Shotgun guy
Was his truck driver

Oh, ok.

Saw this a few hours ago with my brother, it was...watchable. The best thing about it was Denzel Washington, who lent the whole affair some credibility, Gary Oldman mostly chewed on the scenery [not that there's anything wrong with that]. The post-apocalyptic world was superbly realized and looked fantastic, although a lot of it was a bit too "I've seen this before" like the
[cannibal family and the bandit trap
. One scene in particular felt like a carbon copy of the scene from Road Warrior where
the two people get caught by the Humongous's gang and killed, the one where Mel Gibson watches from the top of the hill.

The three action scenes were pretty cool but lasted about ten seconds as Denzel quickly dispatched of
4-5 bandits and then 8-10 bar patrons
. The
shootout
near the end was pretty good, but is mainly just a frenetic shot from halfway between the two parties as they
shot at each other with hundreds of bullets. Somehow Denzel and the woman don't get hit despite a ton of bullets going all the way through the house and they're just standing up against the wall beside a window
. And the ending was just...out of nowhere. Suddenly there's
this secret base at Alcatraz where the sum total of human culture and art and history is being stored. Also, Eli's blind and his bible was in grail.
Just way too many things that were never mentioned anywhere else in the movie and just served to tie up all the loose ends left from the rest of the movie.

Watchable, but it's certainly not great and it doesn't really tread any new ground.

Zutroy

Just got back from seeing it with a friend. I thought it was pretty good. Wasn't amazing, and yes there was some plot hole, but I'm the type of person who can overlook things like that and not dig deep into them just to try and spoil the film for myself. I'm glad I went to see it.

I really enjoyed the look of the film and enjoyed the score as well. I also thought it was a really good performance by Denzel. I also loved the old woman. I thought she was hilarious!

Question for Gary if he wishes to answer:
Just as Eli gets shot, when the trigger gets pulled there's a flash of lightning in the background. Was that meant to be like a sign of angering God? Or was that just a coincidence?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I dunno what people's deal is with Mila at the end. If anything, it's sort of rushed, but I don't see how it's any different from
Eli. You really think he was a big bad ass before he got the book and heard the voices too?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
You really think he was a big bad ass before he got the book and heard the voices too? [/spoiler]

Well, that kind of comes back to the "Look, it's mystical okay? Don't question it." that a number of the things in the movie use instead of a rational explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom