• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Book of Eli (GAF meltdown incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

I might be one of few regular gaffers who just hadn't clicked any of the right threads, so I had never heard of the film until I saw the trailer before Sherlock Holmes. My wife and I thought it looked awesome, and planned to check it out. Imagine my surprise when I click on a Book of Eli thread in in the OT and find out that the guy with the Denzel Washington avatar who I recently asked about his new Mac had actually written it. We'll probably see it this weekend.

Saw it tonight and I really really enjoyed it. I can see why some people have said it starts slow but, in the end, it allowed the film to 'breath'. Looking back over the film those early, slower, scenes were some of my favorite ones.

It definintely didn't come off as preachy either. I talked about this with my girl and she said the same thing - They left it open for debate. To me all of the talk about religion was balanced out by the thinking that it was the cause for the end of the world in the first place. Personally, I have nothing against religion as it does seem to bring comfort and solace to a great many people - but I have a problem when it is used as this divisive with us or against us mentality. The movie didn't seem to come out on one side or the other honestly, and it was very thoughtfully handled.

I don't have any complaints with the 'twist' either. It was done very well, and provided a neat closure for the film.

Really a very good movie. I would highly recommend anyone go check it out. Great action, great cinematography, great direction, great plot, good acting, and holy hell was that soundtrack great.

(Bonus point for Gary - my girl LOVED the film. Like even more than me. And I was the one saying we should go see it. When we got out, I was like 'See! That wasn't bad!' and she said 'Are you fucking kidding me? That was AWESOME!' Gary knows what the women like!)

OH! And I loved the 'A Boy and His Dog' poster in the Orpheum room! Such a great call out!

EDIT: Just realized that the title
has a whole second meaning! That's awesome! The plot revolves around Eli's book, but at the end the book was told by Eli, so it becomes (in a way) the Book OF Eli. Outstanding.

Oh, and my theater was packed. I know thats just anecdotal, but the theater was pretty much sold out.

Gary Whitta said:
Wow, is there any way I can send you a copy to sign for me? Jesus, that'd be the highlight of my very large DVD and Blu Ray collection.

I loved, loved, loved the film. Took my girlfriend to see it as well and she loved it. Going to take my parents to see it next week. Congratulations Gary. I am looking foward to your next project and will continue to support you by seeing your projects and passing the good news.

Again, loved the movie.

Loved the fight scenes.

Loved the nods to other films I also love.

Loved the pacing and feel of the film.

And I loved the fact there wasn't someone explaining what happened to the Earth at the beggining of the film. The information flowed with the story. So many shows and movies lack this.

Gary Oldman's sidekick is whistling the panflute melody from the score to Once Upon A Time In America when they're riding in that motorcade.

One of the most funny and profound parts to me was
seeing the mouse eat the cat.

I really did not see the twist coming that Eli was blind, that was pretty cool. For a moment there I thought it was going to end just like Children of Men though and that would have pissed me off, but it was cool how it was a reference to it and the movie kept going.

All in all, well done Gary. My $40 admission (for 2 people) was worth it. The D-BOX stuff was really cool too, I'd highly recommend for people to check it out if they get the chance. I don't know if there are any other theaters aside from the Mann Chinese that do it though.

Red Mercury said:
EDIT: Just realized that the title
has a whole second meaning! That's awesome! The plot revolves around Eli's book, but at the end the book was told by Eli, so it becomes (in a way) the Book OF Eli. Outstanding.
Yep, it's a sequel to the fucking Bible. It's what happens after revelations as told by Eli, and the story is spread by Solara. Hamlet 2 doesn't have shit on this.

Well I said I would post impressions so here we go.

I don't know what the fuck the ratio is about on RT, this movie is awesome. I didn't find it preachy at all, I think it just opened up the Bible for discussion and never came to a conclusion, which is a good thing. The only gripe I have is the ending (which I think is a common theme here). It should have ended
right when the 'curator' at Alcatraz slides the freshly printed Bible into the bookshelf. We really didn't need to see Kunis dressing badass and marching off back home. I thought it was pretty cheesy. I think this is born out by the fact that almost everybody in the theatre laughed when it showed her silhouetted as the doors were opening at the end.

I'm on the fence about whether Eli should have died or not. He walked a long long way and rowed half the distance to Alcatraz, and then still lives long enough to speak the entire bible with the gunshot wound, and then he dies after. It just seems too 'convenient' if you know what I mean. It's not that big of a deal though, just something I'm not sure about.

Anyway, very well done Gary. Made me proud to see "Written by Gary Whitta" show up at the end. :)

polyh3dron said:
Yep, it's a sequel to the fucking Bible. It's what happens after revelations as told by Eli, and the story is spread by Solara. Hamlet 2 doesn't have shit on this.

Haha, what? I hope you're joking.

So awesome. SO FUCKING AWESOME! I did not see the ending coming but I love the subtle hints at what it is during the movie.
Right in the beginning of the movie when Eli enters the house with the mouse, you see Eli stumble a little before opening the closet with the dead person. I had a "wait, is he blind?" thought but him getting a bit scare from the body completely took that thought away. I completely forgot about it until the end of the movie. When Eli starts reading the bible in the end, I said to myself "Oh fuck you, Gary! I don't want this 'THE BOOK WAS EMPTY!' ending that every other movie that is stuck escapes with. I thought you had it different!"... and what do you know, it was different! I'm glad it didn't end the way I envisioned and I'm glad there was no happy ending in the movie as they are fucking cliched to death! Oh and the shooting scene is one of the best action sequences I have seen!

Fucking brilliant, Gary! Hope you are having fun right now as much fun I had tonight with my friends watching the movie. They all loved it!

EDIT: GODDAMN I'M NOT DONE YET!
I loved the environment, the cinematography, the way everything was shot. I loved the fact that the whole journey was shown without speeding the damn process (which I hate in movies that just jump to the chase) and I loved the close-ups where required and the vivid and vast wasteland shown in others.

Pctx

Banned
Movie was great. Sent Gary a PM on how well the movie was done because he does deserve praise for this flick.

The twist I think while surprising (or not), keeps the over arching story in balance and is just kind of a moment where all you can do is smirk and say.... "wow...."

People that complained about the pacing of the movie can go take a hike. This movie was paced brilliantly. With the characters having their own personalities, the back story of the war (given the scenery) and little touches of the past in either posters, music or stories is what sold me on this being such a great movie.

Hoping to see it again this weekend!

Here's to de-throning Avatar!! *CHEERS! GARY!*
:lol

hsin

Banned
Just got back from the last show of the night with two of my friends. Completely sold out.

LOVED LOVED LOVED the movie. Going in, I expected to be at least entertained or accepting it as merely a 'good' movie. With the RT rating not being particularly attractive, I admit I went in with a bit of doubt and uncertainty especially since I had hyped it up to my friends for awhile now. I'll just say that there are two more Gary Whitta fanboys out there now!

I'll go into detail about my experience tomorrow (damn weekend class), but for now, I just want to say the story (Whitta delivered), the performances (Denzel and Oldman delivered), the visuals (beautiful cinematography, Mila Kunis, brutal killings) and the music (almost a Ghosts influenced score, beautifully executed by Atticus Ross) was PERFECTION.

Cheered when the credits rolled -- "Written by Gary Whitta".

A huge congrats to you, Gary. I am really looking forward to any and all of your future projects!

(My friend said he loved it more than Avatar. And he LOVED Avatar.)

hsin said:
(My friend said he loved it more than Avatar. And he LOVED Avatar.)

Yeah, I think as stories go this is far superior to Avatar. I actually thought the action sequences were better in Eli as well, they were at least more interesting anyway.

daycru

Really enjoyed the film, only thing I didn't like was Mila Kunis' performance. I just think she's terrible in everything,
the shot at the end where she's dressed up like Eli actually had people in the theater snickering at it.

It's late but just wanted to post that I am so immensely gratified that so many of you seem to have enjoyed the movie and responded to its themes and ideas.

The RT Community score just keeps rising (now up to 86%) and everything I'm hearing anecdotally and on Twitter and actually in theaters (went to a great showing tonight) is telling me that audiences are really responding to and appreciating the movie.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I'm so hyped for this. I'm gonna watch this tonight.

Nelo Ice

Banned
reading posts about this on a laker forum i visit and the ppl there loved it

man i definitely need to see it this weekend

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I just want to say again how much I loved this movie.

Also, the sound design was excellent, as well.

Xater

Fuck it doesn't start in Germany until February 18th. :(

Fuck Tobis and their slow distribution. I wished Warner would be the distributor :(

Hopefully I'll get to see the film this weekend, was meant to watch it last night but I got drunk with work people and friends and didn't feel I'll give the film justice.

I am glad of the talk in the film of an iPod working ;)

Book of Eli overtakes Avatar on Friday, $35m weekend expected
Nikki Finke said:
Alcon Entertainment's Book of Eli has become the 1st movie to be #1 after the 28-day reign of Avatar. Sources tell me the Denzel Washington starrer distributed by Warner Bros with a we-be-cool marketing campaign made $12 million Friday from 3,111 theaters. That probably adds up to $35M for the 4-day long weekend -- exactly what the studio expected after weeks of really strong tracking and crossover appeal. Once again, the spotlight is back on Alcon's Princeton duo funded by FedEx boss Fred Smith whose daughter Molly brought the guys The Blind Side. The rest is history -- and $240M domestic cume. Book of Eli is also a comeback for the Hughes brothers after a long absence from healthy box office grosses.

But Hollywood is predicting Friday's box office order won't hold. "It'll be Avatar for the weekend by a long shot," one studio rival to 20th Century Fox told me. James Cameron's big budget 3D technopic made $10.5 million at the start of its 5th weekend, with a tenacious hold of -20%. Especially when its theater count also declined 4% to 3,285 venues. For the 4-day Martin Luther King holiday grosses, its number should climb to high $40sM and maybe $50+M and #1. Note that its domestic cume could pass $500M by Monday's end, and definitely Titanic's $600M by the end of this month to become the biggest domestic pic of all time. (But with an asterick. After all, these figures are not adjusted for inflation or ticket prices, which are much higher for 3D Avatar than 2D Titanic's.) Same goes for the worldwide highest-grossing record: Avatar barely trails Titanic $1.4B to $1.8B.

cwmartin

I still refuse to believe he was blind, the movie just kinda crumbles for me if I assume he was blind the whole time. I just assume he knows brail, and the fact that he found that the last bible written in brail is both a showing to the importance of the book, the fact that he would learn and read in brail just to be able to use/read it, and another example of Eli's importance on protecting the book. Not only is he physically protecting it with his badassery, but the bible written in brail protects it from outside readers. I'll be more lenient on another gaffer's interpretation that the bible was able to grant him vision/protection, but I cant bring myself to believe he was blind.

edit: spoilers, oops.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
cwmartin said:
I still refuse to believe he was blind, the movie just kinda crumbles for me if I assume he was blind the whole time. I just assume he knows brail, and the fact that he found that the last bible written in brail is both a showing to the importance of the book, the fact that he would learn and read in brail just to be able to use/read it, and another example of Eli's importance on protecting the book. Not only is he physically protecting it with his badassery, but the bible written in brail protects it from outside readers. I'll be more lenient on another gaffer's interpretation that the bible was able to grant him vision/protection, but I cant bring myself to believe he was blind.

edit: spoilers, oops.
Out of curiosity...
are you religious in any way? We're dealing with a man who was driven by faith. A man who, through divine intervention, is able to carry out his task of having the Bible put into production once again so that the world can have hope.

How much of Eli's ability to fight and interact seamlessly was his own and how much was given to him through his holy mission...we don't know. I'd argue it doesn't really matter. Whether the answer is 100% his own or 100% his faith, this is a man who was either chosen and protected, or chosen because he could protect himself. He was the only person who could carry out this task, one way or the other.

Guzim

Gary, why did you have to
kill off George and Martha :(
Also, how did
Solara escape from the cave with the water?

I did like the film a lot :D At the end, when it said Written by Gary Whitta, I cheered :lol

cwmartin

RubxQub said:
Out of curiosity...
are you religious in any way? We're dealing with a man who was driven by faith. A man who, through divine intervention, is able to carry out his task of having the Bible put into production once again so that the world can have hope.

How much of Eli's ability to fight and interact seamlessly was his own and how much was given to him through his holy mission...we don't know. I'd argue it doesn't really matter. Whether the answer is 100% his own or 100% his faith, this is a man who was either chosen and protected, or chosen because he could protect himself. He was the only person who could carry out this task, one way or the other.

Nope, no religious background for me, maybe i'm underestimating the power of faith and divine intervention in this context

Blackhead

Redarse
Wormdundee said:
It should have ended
right when the 'curator' at Alcatraz slides the freshly printed Bible into the bookshelf. We really didn't need to see Kunis dressing badass and marching off back home. I thought it was pretty cheesy. I think this is born out by the fact that almost everybody in the theatre laughed when it showed her silhouetted as the doors were opening at the end.

Anyway, very well done Gary. Made me proud to see "Written by Gary Whitta" show up at the end. :)
Spoilers I think:

I thought the execution was cheesy but the reasoning sound. He told her earlier on that if she didn't like her home sh should stay and change it and that the Bible was words to live by. I can definitely see her following her mentor's creed. I'd only blame Gary if his script called for all the hotness. I like Kunis but her performance was closer to modern day teenager than the medieval adolescent I was expecting once I saw where the story was going lol

edit: not really religious (I'm a discordian on Fridays but whatever) but I believe in the power of religion/the idea of religion on human actions. I can understand him dragging his body west becuase he sees his actions as important. But I'm not believing in miracles or whatever you guys need to belive in to accept that he was
blind all along
. It's not a big deal just moves the film into fantasy samurai fiction for me if that spoiler is true

GhaleonEB

jett said:
That article is wrong, Sherlock Holmes was number one on its opening day.
And so was Alvin 2.
Gary Whitta said:
Holy fuck we beat Avatar yesterday :lol
For a day, but that's no easy feat. :p

Congrats, Gary. That's going to be a great opening weekend. I'll be contributing late tonight. :D

I want to see this movie, but I have no idea when it will be in theatres here in Sweden. Argh.

edit: Okay, according to IMDB it will premiere February 26th here, but I can't find any info elsewhere :/

Decado

thesoapster said:
Thread reminds me of why I very rarely listen to critics (user score/IMDb > critics to me). Will try and see it this weekend. :D
So true! There are a lot of "rotten" movies I really enjoyed that have pretty good IMDB scores.

IMDb would be much better (as a site) if they had better browse/search functions, though.

Gary Whitta said:
Ooh that reminds me, I gotta find a good "haters gonna hate" GIF, I'm sure it will come in handy over the coming days. Should I go with the fat kid or the water-skipping eagle?
tumblr_ks8ydwUsIS1qzs8seo1_500.gif

Dot50Cal

Banned
Guzim said:
Also, how did

I did like the film a lot :D At the end, when it said Written by Gary Whitta, I cheered :lol
The guard was only knocked out and was moving nearly the entire scene there. Presumably he woke up and let her out.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Guzim said:
Also, how did

Yea,
I really hoped George and Martha would have survived. Anyway, I was also wondering how Solara escaped the cave when the door was locked, but I just assumed she was crafty enough to find another way out that probably was a little bit more inconvenient than using the door (but since it was locked...). Although an official answer would be nice.

Dot50Cal said:
The guard was only knocked out and was moving nearly the entire scene there. Presumably he woke up and let her out.

That explains it then. I wasn't too sure about someone else letting her out because I thought she may get caught and sent to Carnegie (because she was in a place that was guarded and the guard was knocked out).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Guzim said:
Also, how did
On the same note -
How did Eli get out of his room in Carnegie's place? The black guard said he had no idea, he was there the whole night, then he got shot. How did Eli get out?

And Book of Eli beating Avatar is a dream come true.

Guzim said:
Also, how did
We shot a scene that shows her using a big wrench to bust open the door and escape, you can see a tiny bit of it in some trailers, but it didn't make the final cut. Maybe it'll be on the Blu-ray.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You know what was sweet?

My wife was on the phone talking to her family and she mentioned how we were going to see The Book of Eli because I knew the guy who wrote it.

I'm 2 degrees away from Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman according to my wife :lol

Seriously, though. It was really cool to see your name as like the second thing in the ending credits.
bud said:
gary, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for the script? a ballpark figure will do.
My guess is more than a car, less than a house.

harSon

Banned
bud said:
gary, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for the script? a ballpark figure will do.

I remember reading that Screenwriters can get paid like 1-3% of the production budget, not sure if that's actually true though. I'd say somewhere between $150,000 and $300,000 if I was to make an educated guess, maybe a bit more.

Flunkie

Banned
I had no idea that Gary Whitta and Gary Whitta on GAF were related! I'm going to see it tonight, negligent of that recent discovery! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom