• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Miburou

She says "This is my Fantasy Zone."

I know what you mean though. >:p

Actually she says "Welcome to my fantasy zone". So we were both wrong. :lol

Fantasyzone--article_image.jpg

Miburou

The game is full of useful information. :lol

Seriously, though, anyone have any tips on how to get the achievement for platinum-ing verses 1 and 2 of that chapter? The fact that the Y controls are inverted is making it very hard for me to not screw up. What is the trick for platinum on those verses? Should I concentrate on not getting hit, on killing every last enemy, etc.? And can I do it on easy/very easy?

I just finished the game. It was amazing overall, naturally. But I don't think it's as good as DMC3 or, to a lesser extent, DMC4 and here's 10 reasons why.

1. The combos don't change that much, depending which weapons you have equipped. What I liked about getting new weapons in DMC3 was that they were all radically different and changed the way you played the game. In Bayonetta, the only ones that really change your moves are the whip and the sword. I didn't like the whip much though.
  2. QTE bullshit. DMC4 had a little of this and DMC3 had none. What's worse is that most of them are "hit the QTE or die instantly" which is mental.
  3. Most of the bosses were big set pieces designed to compete with GOW in the battle of epicness. They are great to look at, but at the end of the day I wanted smaller, more personal fights.
  4. The Bike scene, missile scene. needs no explanation.
  5. The camera was fucking nutty, especially in small areas, like the scene where you fight jeanne on a missile. It took way to much effort away from the buttons to move the camera.
  6. Loading the gates of hell shop level every time was pointless. It should have just been a menu.
  7. The story was terrible. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare but it didn't capture my interest on any level. DMC4 was actually around the same level but DMC3 was better. And having to read books to find out more about the story was lame. Not that it interested me enough to find out about it but reading has no place in a crazy action game like this.
  8. Alfheim portals. A lot of them require BACKTRACKING to find. They couldn't just hide them all in clever places? DMC3/4 hide them in great places.
  9. Re-using areas from earlier levels. Another complaint from DMC4 makes an appearance in this game. It gave me a bad feeling of deja vu, which was supposed to be a joke in the game?
  10. Half the cutscenes are done in this "still image" style, even though they are using the actual character models. Why didn't they just animate them all? Maybe it was a style choice, maybe they wanted to save money. Either way, I didn't like it.

The boss fights with jeanne were probably the best part but I don't think they were even as good as the DMC3 fights with Vergil or the fight in DMC4 with this guy:

img_51901_dmc4_4.jpg

akachan ningen said:
I just finished the game. It was amazing overall, naturally. But I don't think it's as good as DMC3 or, to a lesser extent, DMC4 and here's 10 reasons why.

1. The combos don't change that much, depending which weapons you have equipped. What I liked about getting new weapons in DMC3 was that they were all radically different and changed the way you played the game. In Bayonetta, the only ones that really change your moves are the whip and the sword. I didn't like the whip much though.
  2. QTE bullshit. DMC4 had a little of this and DMC3 had none. What's worse is that most of them are "hit the QTE or die instantly" which is mental.
  3. Most of the bosses were big set pieces designed to compete with GOW in the battle of epicness. They are great to look at, but at the end of the day I wanted smaller, more personal fights.
  5. The camera was fucking nutty, especially in small areas, like the scene where you fight jeanne on a missile. It took way to much effort away from the buttons to move the camera.
  6. Loading the gates of hell shop level every time was pointless. It should have just been a menu.
  7. The story was terrible. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare but it didn't capture my interest on any level. DMC4 was actually around the same level but DMC3 was better. And having to read books to find out more about the story was lame. Not that it interested me enough to find out about it but reading has no place in a crazy action game like this.
  8. Alfheim portals. A lot of them require BACKTRACKING to find. They couldn't just hide them all in clever places? DMC3/4 hide them in great places.
  9. Re-using areas from earlier levels. Another complaint from DMC4 makes an appearance in this game. It gave me a bad feeling of deja vu, which was supposed to be a joke in the game?
  10. Half the cutscenes are done in this "still image" style, even though they are using the actual character models. Why didn't they just animate them all? Maybe it was a style choice, maybe they wanted to save money. Either way, I didn't like it.

The boss fights with jeanne were probably the best part but I don't think they were even as good as the DMC3 fights with Vergil or the fight in DMC4 with this guy:

Wow ...now I'm really worried as 3 - 4 hours in, this is already how I'm starting to feel =/
...and as I said, the performance on PS3 only exacerbates things

KevinCow

Banned
Quick question: does the full game offer customizable controls? Having lock-on mapped to RB in the demo was ridiculously uncomfortable.

NIN90

NIN90 said:
I too would like to know how the combo meter exactly works in general.
For example: Why is 300 x 3.0 NOT 900 but something even lower than 300?

Anyone?

KevinCow said:
Quick question: does the full game offer customizable controls? Having lock-on mapped to RB in the demo was ridiculously uncomfortable.

No, but you won't be using lock-on at all.

Shito

Miburou said:
The game is full of useful information. :lol

Seriously, though, anyone have any tips on how to get the achievement for platinum-ing verses 1 and 2 of that chapter? The fact that the Y controls are inverted is making it very hard for me to not screw up. What is the trick for platinum on those verses? Should I concentrate on not getting hit, on killing every last enemy, etc.? And can I do it on easy/very easy?
You can invert the Y axis, in the option menu: select the rocket icon to look at the commands sheet for this mode, there'll be a "Y: switch Y axis" at the bottom of the screen.
Also, you don't need to do it on Normal+ mode to get the achievement: cheese your way through this one on easy! ^^

ElyrionX

The missile level was absolute crap. What the fuck were they thinking with that shit?

But then again, the Jeanne fight on the plane was awesome. So awesome.

And I don't get why people complain about Grace/Glory. Those are so easy. Just wait for the attack, dodge, wail away in Witch Time and they're dead in no time.

TP

Came in to say that I finally beat that damn Alfheim 6 on hard and it looks like I wasn't the only one who had trouble :lol

Monocle said:
Haha, congrats.

Right on, that's just what I did. My basic approach was:

Wave 1

Long taunt enemies, dodge for Witch Time, use panther form to reposition myself, torture attack an enemy, repeat until 1 Affinity remains, taunt until all three magic bars are maxed, grab a dead Affinity's weapon, kill remaining Affinity with torture attack. That would leave me with only two torture attacks left to do.

Wave 2

Dodge for Witch Time, run to middle of enemy group and use pole spin attack until Witch Time expires, use panther form to travel to and pick up second Affinity weapon, kill weakened enemy with torture attack, repeat steps for final torture attack.

Wave 3

Try not to die.

Eventually I replaced Eternal Testimony with Pulley's Butterfly because I found that my main problem wasn't generating magic but staying alive.

My strategy for the first two waves was pretty similar, I used PKP with the Shuraba to stun Ardor so I could build up magic faster, and I didn't bother picking up a second weapon in wave 2.

In wave 3 I equipped Eternal Testimony and the Bracelet of Time. Every few seconds I was able to trigger witch time and land a PKP.

ElyrionX

akachan ningen said:

To be fair, the claws change up the gameplay quite a bit as well but you're right that the weapons all feel samey, probably due to the fact that in general, they all have the same combo strings with roughly the same results (ie. PKP always unleashes a Wicked Weave regardless of what weapons you're using).

Monocle

akachan ningen said:
[snip]
Your points are fair for the most part, but your post has some inaccuracies. The biggest is in the quote above.

Shuraba, Kulshedra, Odette, Lt. Col. Kilgore equipped to hands, Sai-Fon and Rodin all have drastically different move sets than Scarborough Fair's style, even though most of these weapons have nearly identical button inputs. If you want to count Durga, with its highly unique properties, add the Handguns, Onyx Roses and Bazillions and we have four weapons that share combos with Scarborough Fair. And even these have markedly different capabilities. Pillow Talk, a clone of Shuraba, rounds out the list. So out of 12 weapons, 5 of them are noticeably derivative. That's really not so bad. Between her weapons (most with 20+ combos) and special moves alone, Bayonetta clearly rivals and probably surpasses Dante's combat options in DMC3 and 4. Throw in stuff like dodge offset, animal transformations and accessories, and Dante starts looking a little less impressive by comparison.

Bayonetta's combat system has extraordinary depth to match the title character's impressive number of unique attacks. While I certainly would have been glad if Bayonetta had offbeat weapons like Nevan or Lucifer, I don't think the game leaves us with much reason to complain.

Alx

I thought that the missile chapter was fun but a bit too long on my first playthrough, but really enjoyed when I came back to it later. I think it's mainly the checkpoints that are too far, and makes the game longer than it should. If you don't die, the length is ok, and I especially enjoyed the part with the 3 dragons for the easy witch time.
I will even play it again soon, since I completely forgot that there were heat-seeking missiles available. :D
The worst thing is that
there is a Jeanne fight after it, and I'd like to play it without having to go through the Space Harrier verses, since it's two completely different things

The complaint about the 'still image' cutscenes should be nullified because the dev. team did have budget issues. I personally think it's just fine.

Junpei Heat

I don't get the QTE complaints. After the end of Chapter 2, I don't think had a problem with them again. Just keep your hands on the controller and always pay attention.

Monocle said:
Your points are fair for the most part, but your post has some inaccuracies. The biggest is in the quote above.

Shuraba, Kulshedra, Odette, Lt. Col. Kilgore equipped to hands, Sai-Fon and Rodin all have drastically different move sets than Scarborough Fair's style, even though most of these weapons have nearly identical button inputs. If you want to count Durga, with its highly unique properties, add the Handguns, Onyx Roses and Bazillions and we have four weapons that share combos with Scarborough Fair. And even those have markedly different capabilities. Pillow Talk, a clone of Shuraba, rounds out the list. So out of 12 weapons, 5 of them are noticeably derivative. That's really not so bad. Between her weapons (most with 20+ combos) and special moves alone, Bayonetta clearly rivals and probably surpasses Dante's combat options in DMC3 and 4. Throw in stuff like dodge offset, animal transformations and accessories, and Dante starts looking a little less impressive by comparison.

Bayonetta's combat system has extraordinary depth to match the title character's impressive number of unique attacks. While I certainly would have been glad if Bayonetta had offbeat weapons like Nevan or Lucifer, I don't think the game leaves us with much reason to complain.

A lot of those weapons aren't available the first tiime you play it though.

I know bayonetta has MORE combos I was just disappointed that they weren't more unique. And I never complained about the combat system, so I don't see why you're defending it.

btw, what were some of the other "inaccuracies" that you thought I had?

Monocle

Jeo said:
Came in to say that I finally beat that damn Alfheim 6 on hard and it looks like I wasn't the only one who had trouble :lol

My strategy for the first two waves was pretty similar, I used PKP with the Shuraba to stun Ardor so I could build up magic faster, and I didn't bother picking up a second weapon in wave 2.

In wave 3 I equipped Eternal Testimony and the Bracelet of Time. Every few seconds I was able to trigger witch time and land a PKP.
Damn, good idea. I didn't even think about using that accessory combo to sneak in a free attack.

Don

Has there been any announcement of an art book for Bayonetta? I loved the Okami art book and it would be cool to have something similar for Bayonetta.

Monocle

akachan ningen said:
A lot of those weapons aren't available the first tiime you play it though.

I know bayonetta has MORE combos I was just disappointed that they weren't more unique. And I never complained about the combat system, so I don't see why you're defending it.
Well, most of Dante's weapons and style-specific moves aren't available right away either. Bayonetta was designed to be replayed over and over again. It hardly seems sensible to discount a great big chunk of content just because it's not accessible in the first playthrough.

A criticism of an action game's weapons is a criticism of its combat system. My comments on the subject were perfectly relevant.

btw, what were some of the other "inaccuracies" that you thought I had?
1. The QTEs are absurdly easy to remember after you've experienced them a few times. They hardly constitute a reason why DMC3 and (snicker) 4 are better games than Bayonetta.

2. Jeanne supplies ample small and personal fights boss fights, and then there's
Balder as the penultimate boss and Rodin as an unlockable opponent
. Not to mention the Joys that appear at regular intervals from Chapter 6 onward. They're almost minibosses in their own right. The large bosses are evenly spaced between regular missions and aren't especially frequent. I find those encounters totally exhilarating. It's a shame you dismiss them as attempts to outdo God of War (I mean, they clearly succeed in that capacity, but it's a mistake to suggest that that's their only merit). Bayonetta's ubiquitous balance and variety doesn't diminish as its enemies' scale increases. How many other action games can make the same claim?

3. The camera is perfect most of the time, and easy enough to move when you need to if you increase its speed in the options menu. Thank goodness Kamiya abandoned the fixed camera angles of the DMC series.

4. On the rare occasions Bayonetta reuses areas, they appear in drastically different contexts (the lava and Paradiso levels, for example). Contrast this with DMC3's heavy backtracking, and DMC4's even more egregious reuse of a great many environments in Dante's missions.

I misspoke earlier. Many of your points aren't fair—they're nitpicks that the game itself would answer, if you'd only pay closer attention.

White Man

I dig the game, and I'm kind of impressed that the story is incomprehensible starting at moment 1. What's basically going on is kind of evident, but boy are the Japanese effective at spewing confusing and indirect nonsense dialogue. It kinda reminds me of the good old days of poor translations, but the loc appears pretty decent, doing by the VA. And Fake Joe Pesci is awesome. I only wish there were a Beat Angels in the Face with a Telephone minigame.

Dave1988

White Man said:
I dig the game, and I'm kind of impressed that the story is incomprehensible starting at moment 1. What's basically going on is kind of evident, but boy are the Japanese effective at spewing confusing and indirect nonsense dialogue. It kinda reminds me of the good old days of poor translations, but the loc appears pretty decent, doing by the VA. And Fake Joe Pesci is awesome. I only wish there were a Beat Angels in the Face with a Telephone minigame.

You'll be bashing their head in with a lamp post later on in the game :lol

entremet

White Man said:
Yeah. I felt the same way too in regards to the cutscenes. Total lack of exposition.

Nemesis_

So why doesn't Jeanne have Witch Time? She has Bat Within but not Witch Time at all.

I didn't realise she actually played different. I like how her demons that she summons and all her weapons are differently written up in the menu screen.

Does anyone know if SHE has alternate costumes as well?

Dave1988

Nemesis556 said:
So why doesn't Jeanne have Witch Time? She has Bat Within but not Witch Time at all.

I didn't realise she actually played different. I like how her demons that she summons and all her weapons are differently written up in the menu screen.

Does anyone know if SHE has alternate costumes as well?

She does have alternate costumes as well.

goldenpp72

anyone know where verse 5 is in chapter 1? I cant believe im stuck already doing pure plats :/ Also what do alt weapons you can buy do?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thing about the story is that it is purposefully a massive send-up of the insanity and arbitrary twists of the typical Japanese action game. Tongue is pretty much firmly in cheek the entire time.

I'm not sure if "I can't follow the story" makes sense. It's a bit like saying "why does the man in that Monty Python sketch realize that the parrot is clearly dead."

goldenpp72

Kaijima said:
The thing about the story is that it is purposefully a massive send-up of the insanity and arbitrary twists of the typical Japanese action game. Tongue is pretty much firmly in cheek the entire time.

I'm not sure if "I can't follow the story" makes sense. It's a bit like saying "why does the man in that Monty Python sketch realize that the parrot is clearly dead."

I followed the story and actually enjoyed it, there isn't much I didn't 'get' in the story, and the humor of it is ace to me.

The story starts confusing of course, but it wraps up well.

Alx

Monocle said:
Thank goodness Kamiya abandoned the fixed camera angles of the DMC series.

True. I wanted to like the first DMC, but couldn't because of the fixed camera angles, and the obscure puzzles that require to go back & forth.

Dave1988 said:
She does have alternate costumes as well.

Her old costume with the "Leia buns" is probably the only costume in the game I really want. I hope it's available. :p

Maybe it's a stupid question, but is the "finish 100 chapters" unlockable linked to a save file, or does it sum the chapters done by different characters ?

goldenpp72

Alx said:
True. I wanted to like the first DMC, but couldn't because of the fixed camera angles, and the obscure puzzles that require to go back & forth.

Her old costume with the "Leia buns" is probably the only costume in the game I really want. I hope it's available. :p

Maybe it's a stupid question, but is the "finish 100 chapters" unlockable linked to a save file, or does it sum the chapters done by different characters ?

What do you mean beat 100 chapters? Like if I replay chapter 1 100 times or do I have to di it some other way?

Dave1988

Alx said:

1. Yup, you can buy that costume.
2. Linked to save.

goldenpp72

Thanks a lot! one more quick question. Going for platinums is counter productive towards a short time, is there a good way to get under 3 hours while still going for the pure plats?

Oh and can you get under 3 hours by replaying chapters or do you have to do a new file, like is it total? Confusing..

akachan ningen said:

img_51901_dmc4_4.jpg

You didn't fight the secret boss. Fight the secret boss. And don't use the wicked weave accessory when you do. Or ever.

Dave1988

goldenpp72 said:
Thanks a lot! one more quick question. Going for platinums is counter productive towards a short time, is there a good way to get under 3 hours while still going for the pure plats?

Oh and can you get under 3 hours by replaying chapters or do you have to do a new file, like is it total? Confusing..

I don't think it's possible to get a run of under 3 hours while still trying to Pure platinum it. You have to get a Pure Platinum on every verse and alfheim in a chapter to be rewarded with a PP on the Result screen. Even if you would abuse the Kilgore exploit I think it would still be very hard to do.

abq

goldenpp72 said:

If you have lots of platinums you want to keep, you could always go for a under 3 hours run on hard. You can replay chapters to shave off minutes on your total playtime.

goldenpp72

abq said:
If you have lots of platinums you want to keep, you could always go for a under 3 hours run on hard. You can replay chapters to shave off minutes on your total playtime.

So basically go for the 3 hours first than do pure plat runs? I only have one pure plat in the first chapter so its not a big deal.

With that said, does the 3 hours just tally up all the chapters best times?

Nemesis_

I enjoyed the Jeanne/Joy bosses much more than the Cardinal Virtues. For some reason I've always enjoyed the "human" battles in these kinds of games. Credo, Vergil, Nelo Angelo and Lady are just some of the ones that come to mind.

abq

goldenpp72 said:
So basically go for the 3 hours first than do pure plat runs? I only have one pure plat in the first chapter so its not a big deal.

With that said, does the 3 hours just tally up all the chapters best times?
Take your time and enjoy the game. Then work on your time. After that, platinums.

When you replay a chapter, at the end you get to choose whether you want to update your time and score or not. Under 3 hours isn't as hard as it might sound. I only had to run through a couple of chapters to bring my playtime under 3 hours.

Dave1988

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Chapter XIV is ruined for me by a lack of checkpoints. It's incredibly frustrating. Other than that, it's been great so far.

Huh?

There are at least three chackpoints in chapter XIV.

1st checkpoint: After killing Fortitudo.
2nd checkpoint: After killing Temperementia
3rd checkpoint: After you and Jeanne jump off the last missile.

brandonh83 said:
wait what happens when you do it under 3 hours? and can you seriously do it at your leisure per chapter?

You unlock the Bracelet of Time. It lets you activate Witch Time at will, but drains your magic gauge extremely fast.

ezekial45

Banned
brandonh83 said:
wait what happens when you do it under 3 hours? and can you seriously do it at your leisure per chapter?

You unlock The Bangle of Time. Yes, you can whittle down the time of any chapters at your leisure. Thanks to the chapter select option.

rocK`

Banned
Just finished the game on Normal.

The story was great, but I don't think I got the full understanding of what's going on and why the angels are considered 'bad'.

Either way, fantastic game, my gripes with the QTE scenes are pushed aside when understanding how engrossing the game is, to the point where I start singing the theme song during random points in my day.

rocK` said:
Just finished the game on Normal.

The story was great, but I don't think I got the full understanding of what's going on and why the angels are considered 'bad'.
The Lumen Sages (which were closer to heaven) decided to declare war on the witches after the child of a witch and a sage (Bayonetta) was born and became heir to the Left Eye. The sages and the angels wiped out everyone except Bayonetta and Jeanne, who made deals with the devil to stay alive on the condition that they kill a few angels every day. In order to get Bayonetta to reawaken the Left Eye and become a part of Jubileus, the last Sage had to test Bayonetta with a number of challenges before she would regain her memories.

How can I tell if I upgraded my life bar to the max? I keep buying the hearts from Rodin, and he gladly keeps selling them to me. I can't tell if the bar is getting bigger anymore, just that my health is replenished a bit.

Top Bottom