• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Do the same sex options have comparatively shorter events than the other ones in the game?
There are only two same sex options (one for male/male and another for female/female) and one of them is apparently a sociopath so despite the effort being appreciated, the options aren't terribly attractive.

Ridley327

So it's being cut because NoA is really lazy? What do western fans get as compensation? Nothing?
It's probably less about laziness and more about a lack of time available. The longer this takes to release, the closer and closer it gets to being zero spotlights available once the NX barrage hits. FE may be more popular these days, but it's still no Zelda.

Is this your alt? :p
Nope lol. I been using this name since 2012. Didn't see someone to using 'horizon' in their username before I got into Gaf.

On topic, I'm very disappointed with the way things NoA are handling localization. This could only mean #FE will have significant changes and I'm talking about the swimsuits in-game. I would hate to see that one go.

Hylian7

Good bye and good riddance. That thing was creepy and I'm sure they didn't want the backlash from it.

You could pet men, even if you're a male character. You could pet everyone. It's probably why NOA removed it, because they're a "family-friendly" company (read: still backwards and conservative), and they fear they're already pushing the envelope with the few LGBT elements already in the story.
What exactly does not having face petting in have to do with being "backwards and conservative"? It's just creepy whether it's women or men.

Well, at least that fan-translation has an actual point now disregarding people who couldn't wait eight months. (I may or may not have been one of those people.)

But yeah, I thought it was weird as hell, and although I tried it a few times because it supposedly increased support rates, it was unbelievably uncomfortable and I can't say I'm going to miss it.

There are only two same sex options (one for male/male and another for female/female) and one of them is apparently a sociopath so despite the effort being appreciated, the options aren't terribly attractive.

To be fair, one of Awakening's most popular females was a sociopath in a very similar vein, so at least they're consistent there. The biggest issue is that you lose out on units by going the same-sex route. Fates is one of the most outlandish games I've ever played in terms of ass-pulls and things happening simply because things dictate they do so, so I really don't understand why they couldn't use some sort of dragon magic to let those pairings get the kid units anyways.

Also was completely optional, you can like, pretend it is not even there.

But, whatever.

It does seem to be most likely a cost cut.

I've read it raised character affinity. I know it's my own fault for being a completionist but I'd have felt the need to do it just for that. I don't have a problem with other people that wanted it left in, just personally prefer it gone.

Sigh. I don't care anymore. I'm broken

I'll see how I feel come February. It was a stupid mode and I was barely gonna use it but I'm glad it existed cuz it made me laugh it was in.

I don't like when things are changed because someone out there on a high horse wants to be offended for other people. I think it's great that all manner of things exist for all kinds of people. I don't want things to become homogenized

But I dunno. I've lost. I've lost it all

I'm gonna throw up. I feel sick

Sigh

I'll buy it anyway

Levyne

Banned
So you would be fine with localization teams cutting any minor content and game features they want solely to reduce costs?

If costs are prohibitively expensive and would otherwise prevent the release, sure.

Is that the case here? Who knows. We don't even know if it was purely cost savings.

jonjonaug

I hate this attitude. more doesn't always mean better. it's how games have become big, bloated nightmares. they need more content than the last one.

I can understand this argument if you think that this detracts from developer resources that could be used elsewhere, but this is cutting already finished content.

Jarmel

Banned
I hate this attitude. more doesn't always mean better. it's how games have become big, bloated nightmares. they need more content than the last one.

Less also doesn't mean better either. In this case we're losing an optional minigame and potentially dialogue as well for nothing in return. It's not like they're going to put more effort into the core gameplay at this point.

Guess Who

Banned

I'll see how I feel come February. It was a stupid mode and I was barely gonna use it but I'm glad it existed cuz it made me laugh it was in.

I don't like when things are changed because someone out there on a high horse wants to be offended for other people. I think it's great that all manner of things exist for all kinds of people. I don't want things to become homogenized

Sigh

I'll buy it anyway

If you are getting this emotionally wrecked and feeling like you're going to throw up because of a petting minigame in a Fire Emblem game I think you might genuinely need help to be honest.

Steejee

Thank goodness.

While I can sympathize with those wanting more same sex relationship/romance options, creepy face petting is probably not the best way to get it.

Shinypogs

That's kind of overstating it. It's one sided and one note dialog doesn't happen without 2 people.

But maybe people value their "rabu rabu rabu rabu u" sentences a lot.

I'm not saying it's super important by any means but I personally see the lines as charming and for people who already like the romance aspects, it adds a few extra moments with characters your care for. Also I did point out that some people had more/ better things to say than others.

Not having the content in the game isn't a deal breaker for me since I'm more interested in the combat and overall story. I'm sad it isn't there and I think its worthwhile but losing it does not ruin the game.

Quoting Tyeforce for the new page since it seems a lot of people didn't consider this perspective. Considering how few non-hetero relationships there are in the game at all, this really shouldn't be held up as a good decision.

Now I'm curious to see just how mad the internet would be if they only kept in the petting minigame for the gay options.

So you would be fine with localization teams cutting any minor content and game features they want solely to reduce costs?
You act like content has never been cut ever before in the history of game development. If I got upset every single time it happened, I would be the Incredible Hulk.
Yeah, buying the version of the game that's completely in Japanese for your region-locked handheld is a great idea.

Buy a JPN 3DS and the JPN game, then. Either that, or vote with your wallet and don't support the US release.

Good riddance.

Quoting Tyeforce for the new page since it seems a lot of people didn't consider this perspective. Considering how few non-hetero relationships there are in the game at all, this really shouldn't be held up as a good decision.

I have a certain amount of sympathy with this, but I can't help but think it's reaching a bit (platonically rubbing guys' faces is absolutely no substitute for actually meaningful LGBT content), and I CERTAINLY don't think what it's what the vast majority of the defenders of this have in mind.

Jarmel

Banned
I find the minigame stupid in Pokemon and stupid here but I can't support Nintendo seemingly sliding back into the 90s.

TriAceJP

Yes? You do realize how many games the west doesn't get, right? It's that or nothing.

How did people get to be so entitled?

alexein

Actually, plenty of people want Phoenix Mode removed.

yes and thats what i say, i dont care if an easy make more people play the game good for them.
I will not use it but i dont want to remove it if the developers put it in the game.

RM8

This is why we should remove marriage altogether :p

Neiteio

What exactly does not having face petting in have to do with being "backwards and conservative"? It's just creepy whether it's women or men.
I didn't suggest face petting, itself, was forward-thinking or worthwhile. I'm saying I think the reason for its removal might be rooted in fear of conservative families taking issue with the visual of men physically touching men. NOA might feel like they're already pushing things with the few LGBT relationships in the game. They still strike me as a very cautious company in this regard.

_woLf

It makes me really sad seeing so many people cheering for the removal of a feature from a video game.

Regardless of what that feature is.

Tyeforce

Thank you. After your campaign for Tomodachi Life, I would hope you supported this feature and it's really disappointing that so many are happy for its removal.
Thanks. Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to see so many people in support of its removal while I'm sure they're not realizing this perspective.

I'm honestly considering whether or not I should try to raise awareness of this like I did for Tomodachi Life, but I'm not sure it would really matter much at this point. I like to think that the Miiquality campaign at least partially influenced Nintendo's decision to add same-sex marriage and intimacy in Fire Emblem Fates, so it was a win in that sense (and we're still waiting to see what may come of a new Tomodachi Life game), but now we're losing a big part of that in the localization... Of course, there's not going to be any changes to the game before release now since the localization is already done, and I highly doubt they'd bother patching it in later since that would mean more text and voice to localize... This whole situation just sucks. =/

Having that minigame in the game honestly made me uncomfortable, and I'm very glad it's gone.

I also don't understand how removing this alone is going to affect people's decision to buy the game, but to each their own.

Sigh

I'll buy it anyway
Is this a real post? Come on, man.

Take a step back and think about this for a minute. Or go talk to someone about this. No need to get physically sick over a localization choice of optional content in a video game.

FluxWaveZ

You act like content has never been cut ever before in the history of game development. If I got upset every single time it happened, I would be the Incredible Hulk.

That's not what I'm saying or asking. The way you laughed at the assumption that amount of content should be equal between regions, it makes it seem like you do not care how truncated a game is when it is received overseas. What if a game was not prohibitively expensive, but a localization team came to realize there are people with your mindset who won't care how much gets cut off the game, no matter how innocuous the content is? They could save a lot of money by cutting content all over the place, and they would judge that their audience would be okay with it or even defend it.

Yes? You do realize how many games the west doesn't get, right? It's that or nothing.

You're looking too far into my question. I'm not talking about a situation where the West gets a game or not. Not everything is black and white. I'm talking about situations where a localization team can bring a game over with 100% content, but they decide to cut off several minor features that most of the consumers won't miss.

kswiston

Well you've waited this long, a little longer won't hurt.

Fan translations typically lose whatever steam they had when an official localized version is released. Most people playing don't give a shit to the extent needed to bother with homebrew to get around minor censorship/cut features. Fan translators are going to get more attention translating unavailable games than they will reversing localization changes.

Instead of bothering with Fates, people should be working on better translation patches for the SNES games.

Call me old fashioned but I don't see how a person-petting mini game can be creepy for straight people and not creepy for non-straight people.

-Horizon-

The game was coming over anyway. This isn't some obscure niche series anymore. Fire Emblem is back as a tentpole series for Nintendo.

Are you still going to buy the game?

Of course. At the end of the day, if the series lost all of the characters and was just abstract geometric shapes vs abstract geometric shapes in entirely blank environments I'd still buy it, because it's a good game, and supporting those takes precedence for me. I'm still going to voice my opinion, however, and people that care more about this particular removed content will choose not to purchase it.

I just think that if this was done to make the game more comfortable for american audiences, it's an entirely hypocritical point when you can point out things that are a thousand times worse that are entirely ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom