• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because everything is creepy these days. Hell, you can't even talk or look at girls you find attractive anymore because you're liable to be called that.

Heh this is pretty much true.

Hell I even found you talking about what's creepy kinda creepy.

RM8

So, the mode was completely optional, had exclusive dialogue, binaural audio and both male and female characters.

Why is this getting completely removed and not even replaced with anything to make up for it a thing to celebrate? Like, don't pretend you're above this shit anyway if you're playing modern Fire Emblem.

I don't have a 3DS nor do I care about this series so I pretty much don't care but it's simply amazing to see excitement over getting less.
We can enjoy the gameplay and dislike the modern tone of the series. And of course there's nothing weird about being excited over getting less crap :p We're not getting less weapons, maps, classes, etc.

DNAbro

Nintendo is no fool. The uproar they would've gotten had they left it would have far surpassed that resulting from them deciding to cut it.

There is a neverending supply of people waiting to be outraged on Twitter and this very board alike for months on end, and if Nintendo happens to enrage the PC mob justice by including this quirky, if not naive, minigame they will be shamed and forced into asking forgiveness by some bigoted and opinionated "journalist" with an audience. They know that perfectly.

It is a really sad state of affairs where publishers and developers have to tip-toe around the wrath of journalists in search of an easy headline and alleged fans with too much time and venom to spew on twitter.

It makes even less sense as the content was already programmed and shipped in Japan to begin with it. Self censorship out of fear of witch hunts is not what I would call progress in the industry or something to rejoice about, although it seems like this is the prevailing sentiment on this board.

Can we stop pretending there was a huge swath of people crying out for this to be cut? There were no petitions or cries for this to be censored. If it released here it probably what have amounted to same reaction seen here, "that's weird and kind of creepy"

Lunar15

I think my final stance on it is basically: removing stuff from games is weird, but I'd hope that IS can find better ways to allow more interaction with characters without having to resort to minigames where you pet people.

You can always make your voice heard to Nintendo. Don't buy it and tell them why you didn't buy it. People tend to forget the latter part.

And remember in the future if the shoe turns again that "deal with it" isn't helpful advice.

it's funny because in every single thread that criticizes a games for being sexist/racist/creepy/etc there are many, many posts that boil down to "sex sells just deal with it" or "vote with your wallet". but when market forces flip things around it's censorship.

If there's a little bit of fecal matter in my lunchbox and someone's kind enough to fish it out for me, I say thank you. I'm not sad something got removed from my lunchbox. I'm not sad I'm getting "less food". The overall product is improved. Sure, I could've just ignored the little piece of shit and eaten my way around it, but that tiny turd being in there somewhere made the whole lunchbox worse.

And yes, while there are people out there that love to eat shit, that's really no concern of mine. Even empathy has a limit. Please go and satisfy your shiteating fetish elsewhere and keep it out of my lunchbox.

Your lunchbox is entirely covered with shit already though.

Shit being 1000 year old dragon girls.

Javier

Honestly, they could easily keep the feature by removing the use of the touchscreen and replace it with a button press to "Interact" or "Talk" or something like that.

Removing the whole thing feels really unnecessary.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People will be wearing proper Amish clothes as to not offend our western sensibilities with their creepy, outlandish, pedo, otaku, weeaboo(please insert any words I'm missing that tend to show up in these threads).

You missed 'waifu'.

Weebos

Banned
Can we stop pretending there was a huge swath of people crying out for this to be cut? There were no petitions or cries for this to be censored. If it released here it probably what have amounted to same reaction seen here, "that's weird and kind of creepy"

Maybe we frequent different Fire Emblem communities, but there were definitely plenty of people calling for it to be cut on Reddit and Serenes Forest, especially when it was revealed.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
There's far worse things you can do in many hugely popular AAA games, and we always mock people who try to stop these games from getting made because they think it will turn people into murderers. It's like people are scared that they'll suddenly turn into a weeaboo if they accidentally play a petting minigame.

Because everything is creepy these days. Hell, you can't even talk or look at girls you find attractive anymore because you're liable to be called that.

this is true, and not even talking about anime or anything. Real men finding an actress super hot then someone calling them creep on OT.

SMH

Firemind

Japanese reviewers and general impressions had a lot of people calling it out, saying the series doesn't need it. That's what prompted Sakurai's response in Famitsu, where he lambasted people for getting upset about an optional thing. It's bad logic.
no it's not. it's a fundamental part of the game and i can't stand for its omission. nintendo can't keep getting away with this.

Continuing Sakurai's food analogy, if there's a little bit of fecal matter in my lunchbox and someone's kind enough to fish it out for me, I say thank you. I'm not sad something got removed from my lunchbox. I'm not sad I'm getting "less food". The overall product is improved. Sure, I could've just ignored the little piece of shit and eaten my way around it, but that tiny turd being in there somewhere made the whole lunchbox worse.

And yes, while there are people out there that love to eat shit, that's really no concern of mine. Even empathy has a limit. Please go and satisfy your shiteating fetish elsewhere and keep it out of my lunchbox.

This thread just leveled up.

-Horizon-

Continuing Sakurai's food analogy, if there's a little bit of fecal matter in my lunchbox and someone's kind enough to fish it out for me, I say thank you. I'm not sad something got removed from my lunchbox. I'm not sad I'm getting "less food". The overall product is improved. Sure, I could've just ignored the little piece of shit and eaten my way around it, but that tiny turd being in there somewhere made the whole lunchbox worse.

I mean I don't go around calling optional features I don't like 'shit' while making fun of other people but if that's what floats your boat continue doing so.

Mik317

You can always make your voice heard to Nintendo. Don't buy it and tell them why you didn't buy it. People tend to forget the latter part.

And remember in the future if the shoe turns again that "deal with it" isn't helpful advice.

Its just that "deal with it" apparently wasn't good enough for many when the feature was announced...and yet now it is.

Like its weird to see people using all the same arguments used against them that they felt wasn't good enough for their "criticism".

That level of hypocrisy drives me insane.

I know if lets say the Gay marriage options were removed because people complain...Nintendo would be getting (rightfully) shanked right now. Its not even close of course, but features being removed should never be met with praise IMO. Even if I didn't care for them. Someone out there does. That person was going to enjoy it and now he/she cannot and all because some people couldn't deal with an optional feature. It just bums me out really to see that happen.

It makes me worry about the future of gaming in which if it doesn't mean this sterile as fuck level of satisfaction it gets cut. Feels like a bad trend is starting and I don't like it.

I'm into FE for the gameplay and characters so I'm getting mine no matter what. Doesn't mean I like this trend of all these changes.

Neiteio

Thing is, FEF will probably still break all previous records for FE in the West.

Doesn't make this change feel "right," though. But I guess this will be the norm going forward.

That's not what I'm saying or asking. The way you laughed at the assumption that amount of content should be equal between regions, it makes it seem like you do not care how truncated a game is when it is received overseas. What if a game was not prohibitively expensive, but a localization team came to realize there are people with your mindset who won't care how much gets cut off the game, no matter how innocuous the content is? They could save a lot of money by cutting content all over the place, and they would judge that their audience would be okay with it or even defend it.

If a game has content cut that I wanted, then I won't buy it, plain and simple. Unlike people who simply say "i don't like this at all but here's my money anyways" (some in this very thread like Coffee Dog), I just won't support it at all. And if face-rubbing is the hill you want to die on when it comes to this "issue," then hey, go for it.

And for the record, cut content that is creepy/embarrassing/pedo-riffic is fine and fair game to get cut, no matter what the region.

Hylian7

so again..how fucked is #FE?
It didn't take localization to fuck that one up, they already did that just fine. That's another debate for another thread though.

Dumb question though, did Nintendo or Atlus publish that game? That would probably be a major factor in how much, if anything, would change during localization.

Actually to people who played the Japanese version, how were the character interactions in the minigame? Are we missing out on something worthwhile in terms of characterization, or is it completely inconsequential in that regard?

Haunted

do you eat shit?
watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif

Your lunchbox is entirely covered with shit already though.

Shit being 1000 year old dragon girls.
and that first shit lunchbox was the best selling lunchbox in the series so far

Well, I don't think this was done by IS and was done by the Amie team from Pokemon who conspiciously didn't have a release last year.

I honestly thought it was something to keep the Amie people busy.

<-- I really don't know who did the live2d assets.

studio trigger iinm

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
People will be wearing proper Amish clothes as to not offend our western sensibilities with their creepy, outlandish, pedo, otaku, weeaboo(please insert any words I'm missing that tend to show up in these threads).

Yeah, just like what happened with Bayonetta 2 when they brought it over. God I hate how Nintendo is censoring free speech!

Oh thank god. Between this and the Soleil thing, I might actually reconsider and pick this up when I wasn't otherwise going to. Now if only the localization would remove the stupid restrictions on same-sex S-ranks...

jonjonaug

I'm honestly kind of playing with the idea of canceling my preorder. I don't care for the petting minigame at all, really. I'd pet the butler once, laugh, and be done with it. But I hate the idea of NoA thinking I an't handle not-even-that-lewd head pats, it's weirdly paternalistic. I'm fine with the change they said they're making to that one support, but this rubs me the wrong way (no pun intended).

Uh...are we reading the same thread? No there were no petitions but anytime this was shown or brought it up it was pretty much a thread full of people screaming about it.

TriAceJP

Because the rest of Fire Emblem is so stand-up!

You sound like the kind of person who rants how MOBAs are the worst thing ever and how everyone who plays LoL is 'the problem'.

Meh. I'm still gonna buy it. Thought the option was humorous though.

However all of you happy for less content because you think one optional feature makes the entire game creepy are cowards. Plain and simple. Now you can play your video game and not feel like a dirty dirty person.

Crocodile

Holy fucking shit I can't get over the intensity of this reaction/opinion

Like goddamn

LOL

kswiston

Y'know, there was a period where I was getting into Fire Emblem (it was those GBA games, first time series made it outside Japan), but I fell off, didn't play the DS games or the 3DS ones.

Y'know...I'm okay with that. And I apologize to every FE fan out there, whether you want these things in your games or not, Nintendo should be aware of what their fans want for better or worse.

But I'm out, and I'm glad for it, wash my hands of this complete nonsense this series has been for a while now.

How can you wash your hands of nonsense when you haven't played the series in a decade to even know what nonsense you are talking about?

Awakening was fine. FE6 was a more disappointing paradigm shift than Awakening was, even if FE12 was one of the stronger games in the series. Shadow Dragon was the only game I have been disappointed with, and even that wasn't horrible.

Platy

So, the mode was completely optional, had exclusive dialogue, binaural audio and both male and female characters.

Why is this getting completely removed and not even replaced with anything to make up for it a thing to celebrate? Like, don't pretend you're above this shit anyway if you're playing modern Fire Emblem.

I don't have a 3DS nor do I care about this series so I pretty much don't care but it's simply amazing to see excitement over getting less.

The game is basicaly an episodic game.

Taking out something that lots of people complained will increase the amount of people who will finish the game without being bothered by creepy stuff. With more people finishing the game, more episode DLC will be sold and more fire emblems will be made

Weebos

Banned
Actually to people who played the Japanese version, how were the character interactions in the minigame? Are we missing out on something worthwhile in terms of characterization, or is it completely inconsequential in that regard?

From what I saw (rough translations months ago) it was a lot of lines of dialogue but not much substance.

Some characters had a few more interesting lines, but I wouldn't call it substantial characterization.

Its just that "deal with it" apparently wasn't good enough for many when the feature was announced...and yet now it is.

Like its weird to see people using all the same arguments used against them that they felt wasn't good enough for their "criticism".

That level of hypocrisy drives me insane.

I know if lets say the Gay marriage options were removed because people complain...Nintendo would be getting (rightfully) shanked right now. Its not even close of course, but features being removed should never be met with praise IMO. Even if I didn't care for them. Someone out there does. That person was going to enjoy it and now he/she cannot and all because some people couldn't deal with an optional feature. It just bums me out really to see that happen.

It makes me worry about the future of gaming in which if it doesn't mean this sterile as fuck level of satisfaction it gets cut. Feels like a bad trend is starting and I don't like it.

I'm into FE for the gameplay and characters so I'm getting mine no matter what. Doesn't mean I like this trend of all these changes.

"Deal with it" is never good advice. Those people also had and have to right to make their voices heard. What the publisher and developer decides to do with that feedback is up to them.

That's what all the fuss is about?

Some want to pet, some don't. Thus the divide.

FluxWaveZ

If a game has content cut that I wanted, then I won't buy it, plain and simple. Unlike people who simply say "i don't like this at all but here's my money anyways" (some in this very thread like Coffee Dog), I just won't support it at all. And if face-rubbing is the hill you want to die on when it comes to this "issue," then hey, go for it.

And for the record, cut content that is creepy/embarrassing/pedo-riffic is fine and fair game to get cut, no matter what the region.

That's more reasonable. But given how seemingly optional and silly this mini-game seemed to be, my fear is simply the slippery slope.

At this point, it'll be really interesting to see what they change in #FE, and not if they do it.

alexein

We can enjoy the gameplay and dislike the modern tone of the series. And of course there's nothing weird about being excited over getting less crap :p We're not getting less weapons, maps, classes, etc.

really? you dont need it but you're not everyone , if you take that way you can remove everything you you dont want and make a special edition by hacking it...

Or more easy, you know you dont use it and everyone wins the ones who want it and the ones who wont use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom