• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Well, fuck. The only free day of me going to the KI World Cup isn't happening. The ride got called in to work that day. Lol

I'm not meant to have fun

Lustre Pearl's new location is really nice. We checked it out the other night since my buddy's bar will be nearby, and I was impressed.

We also went to Bun Belly beforehand, and that was pretty solid. Nothing special, but their pork belly was very well executed. The egg noodles were pretty good too. 888 is still gonna be my go-to for Viet food south of 183.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Made my own thread but forgot about this one. Anyone from Austin Gaf around this weekend? My boy and I will be out all weekend visiting and looking for some must go spots for drinks and all.

Zoe

Going to Broken Spoke for the first time ever tonight for dinner. Don't know what to expect.

I refuse to dance.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Did 6th street last night .....

Man what a city..... Round 2 tonight. Hoping to make it to Rainey street

FartOfWar

Banned
I'm pretty new to Austin, so maybe this isn't such a thing to you guys...but how is Cedar so damn toxic right now? Everyone is acting like they have the flu.

Also, Hi. It's a nice summer day in January.
Good god the cedar is brutal today. Fuck, I hate this place.

Timeaisis

God, I haven't posted in this thread in so long. Sorry, gang.

Weather is getting nicer, I almost don't have to wear a sweater.

I swear to god I read about some new restaurant development coming up north every day it seems. Although some get shuttered as fast as they come. Chilantro is expanding up north on Burnet right next to the domain. Maybe I'll be able to travel less than 15 minutes south to get good food soon. We'll see.

Gurrry

Its been awhile ATX Gaf! We still need to all get together and go play board games at emerald over a few beers! I have every single board game imaginable pretty much, so if anyone is ever interested, PM me!

Also - I have a question for yall. With SFV release right around the corner, looking on Twitch there are tons of people with early copies from "mom and pop" stores who break street dates.

Im curious.. does anyone know of a mom and pop video game store in Austin? Gamefellas really doesnt count.

Timeaisis

Its been awhile ATX Gaf! We still need to all get together and go play board games at emerald over a few beers! I have every single board game imaginable pretty much, so if anyone is ever interested, PM me!

Also - I have a question for yall. With SFV release right around the corner, looking on Twitch there are tons of people with early copies from "mom and pop" stores who break street dates.

Im curious.. does anyone know of a mom and pop video game store in Austin? Gamefellas really doesnt count.

I don't know of any mom and pop game shops, unfortunately. Game Over doesn't really count, either.

And regarding meetups, you're totally right. I've been slacking hard. Anyone interested this weekend for something casual? Boardgames sound fun.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Just moved to Austin! Found a nice apartment to rent in the South Lamar area.

I need some advice on picking an ISP. My apartment building's "preferred vendor" is AT&T, but this article really concerns me about going with them:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ur-web-browsing-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

The leasing office said Grande is also available, but when I plug in my address on their website, it says service is unavailable to that location. When I asked about Google Fiber, they said it's "pre-installed, however, they have not gone live yet", but when I enter my address in GF's website, it doesn't say anything about it not being live yet.

Thoughts? I'd rather not sit on the phone with all 3 of them asking questions about availability and privacy if I can help it.

neshcom

Banned
I don't know of any mom and pop game shops, unfortunately. Game Over doesn't really count, either.

And regarding meetups, you're totally right. I've been slacking hard. Anyone interested this weekend for something casual? Boardgames sound fun.
Yeah, we should! I bought a dozen games at PAX and haven't gotten a chance to play half of them.

Just moved to Austin! Found a nice apartment to rent in the South Lamar area.

I need some advice on picking an ISP. My apartment building's "preferred vendor" is AT&T, but this article really concerns me about going with them:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ur-web-browsing-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

The leasing office said Grande is also available, but when I plug in my address on their website, it says service is unavailable to that location. When I asked about Google Fiber, they said it's "pre-installed, however, they have not gone live yet", but when I enter my address in GF's website, it doesn't say anything about it not being live yet.

Thoughts? I'd rather not sit on the phone with all 3 of them asking questions about availability and privacy if I can help it.

Yeah, for AT&T Fiber, you have to pay an extra monthly fee for no-snooping. I've heard Grande is good, but they're a smaller company with a way smaller operating zone. If you're intent on getting Google Fiber, you should call up their number and see if they can tell you. We just got GFiber installations starting this past week or so.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, for AT&T Fiber, you have to pay an extra monthly fee for no-snooping.

Hmm, the fact that they do this at all doesn't give me confidence they aren't snooping at least a bit even when paying the extra monthly fee...

Maybe now is a good time to finally look into paying for a VPN to use regularly.

I've heard Grande is good, but they're a smaller company with a way smaller operating zone. If you're intent on getting Google Fiber, you should call up their number and see if they can tell you. We just got GFiber installations starting this past week or so.

Yeah I think I might just stop in their downtown office location and get some more info. I'll call up Grande as well.

Timeaisis

Yeah, we should! I bought a dozen games at PAX and haven't gotten a chance to play half of them.

I also vote for boardgame night.

I'm free this weekend if you guys are interested. Except for Sunday. Emerald Tavern is a good neutral meet-up zone, imo.

Oh, as far as cable providers go, TWC is OK. It's not great but it's OK. I hear AT&T can be really hit or miss, depending on where you live. I don't know anyone with Grande. Google Fiber is very, very slowly activating in Austin. It's going to be another year probably before you see it.

Timeaisis

The last meetup was in August of last year. Good god, it's been a while, folks.

Board Games and Beer at the Emerald Tavern

Saturday, February 20th - 8:00 PM
Emerald Tavern

Board gaming at the Emerald Tavern. I'll try to get a table reserved, but no promises. Also, I'll try to bring mass-multiplayer games as well as smaller ones so we can play with whatever number of people show. You can bring any games you want, but the Emerald Tavern has a pretty good selection (all free to play), too. And it has beer!

Hope to see ya'll there! :)

Gurrry

yo guys im gonna try and come as well, however, just FYI.. emerald has become super popular lately. getting a table at around 7-8 might be near impossible. depending on the weather sitting outside is also an option. if i do go, i will probably end up going early and if so I can save a table.

ill let you duders know

Timeaisis

yo guys im gonna try and come as well, however, just FYI.. emerald has become super popular lately. getting a table at around 7-8 might be near impossible. depending on the weather sitting outside is also an option. if i do go, i will probably end up going early and if so I can save a table.

ill let you duders know

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I haven't been in a while. I'll try to get there a little earlier as well, but we'll see. I'll have a back-up plan in case we can't get a table.

Well, we are indeed a thread and we sometimes occasionally very rarely hang out with each other.

Well it's only February but I am planning a pretty big 4th of July party at my place this year. If you want to make it a GAF thing that would be cool.

So mark your calendars to not show up somewhere fellow nerds! ;)

Gurrry

I got sick af over the weekend. Stupid allergies man. Hopefully I can make the next one.

Im gonna guess it was packed as fuck when yall got there?

Timeaisis

Speaking of game bar things, Vigilante is supposed to open in April, and it will be way bigger and more "bar-y" than Emerald. So we'll have to check it out.

What's going on today, Austin GAF? Nice day out.

Voror

Hello. Just moved Texas for a job in Austin I start next week. Got an apartment that's in Cedar Park so I don't know if I really fit the bill to post here, but I'll likely go to Austin often enough. Still settling in but thought I'd say hi.

Gurrry

Speaking of game bar things, Vigilante is supposed to open in April, and it will be way bigger and more "bar-y" than Emerald. So we'll have to check it out.

What's going on today, Austin GAF? Nice day out.

Holy SHIT dude!

This is huge news. I didnt know this was happening at all. Emerald is like my go-to place, so having another option is incredible, especially since Emerald is always so busy.

However, I just looked at their location. Airport and N Lamar is a fucking journey for me. Ill still have to go check it out though, cause it sounds awesome.

edit: I was wrong. This is alot closer than I thought. Holt shit. I guess I have to back this thing. I encourage everyone to do the same too! This is a dream come true

Top Bottom