• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Will McD customers accept longer wait for non-frozen patty Quarter Pounders?

Bakercat

The only reason I would go to McDonald's was when I was traveling late at night and it was the only food place open and I hadn't eatin in hours. Their burgers usually make me feel sick after eating them and I feel just as hungry after eating them as before. Plus, they expensive as fuck for such low tier food. Their fries and smoothies on the other hand are pretty good, just wish I got more smoothie for the price I pay for it though. I do love five guys though, but it's so expensive and rare to find that I tend to go other places unless I'm craving it badly.

Otnopolit

I love their 1/4 pounders. I'll gladly wait! Wendy's and Five Guys is amazing, but sometimes you just gotta stick with the fat, greasy, delicious evil you knoq.

The sooner McDonald's realizes that they will absolutely never win a fight when it comes to quality, they'll leapfrog back into public relevance.

Give me a burger that is cheap, consistent, and delivered at a startling speed. That is why people come to McDonald's, and boosting those traits is the only way forward.

rtcn63

Fuck no. I see customers complain about the wait times already. You've never seen a person randomly throw out slurs like after having to wait more than two minutes for a shake.

Apt101

If you want slower fast food, go to Checkers/Rally's. You get a nice long wait and the food tastes better.

That's a minefield there. It seems like Burger King they enforce really loose restrictions on franchisees. A Rally's on side of town can be clean and amazing with great food. Another not 20 minutes away will be a cesspool with the most disgusting slop that can be had for under $5.

Nothing worse than waiting a long time for food, and getting absolute trash.

Not McDonalds, but we went to Sonic and waited close to 10 minutes off to the side of the drive thru line and received this;

AsE2PIo.jpg

Of course not. They are already disgusting people with horrible taste who value convenience over literally everything else.

Wow. This is an interesting response.

I mean. I think we can all agree that it's junk food with little nutritional value. But I eat it somewhat frequently because I am time poor, not because of some weird disgusting mentality. Also, quarter pounders taste pretty good.

zma1013

That is insanely expensive for a fast food meal. Plus, a "regular" order of Five Guys fries gives you twice as many fries as anyone should need. I hate wasting food, but I've never even come close to finishing an order. It's part of why I don't go there regularly.

I agree it is expensive, just not 5 times as was claimed. As for the fries, I'm always there with someone else so we just get 1 order of fries for both of us, but alone yeah, that's a lot of fries.

Kremzeek

People don't go to McD's for the taste.

They go because it's like $2 for a crappy burger. Simply put, it's the cheapest.

If they have to pay more for a "non-frozen" patty, they won't.

wildfire

Banned
Well this is kind of McDonald's problem. They're losing a lot of business to midrange diners like Five Guys and in order to get the business back, may need to up their food quality.

The article says 70% of theior customers rely on fast service.

Let's assume that metric is true. Why piss off established customers to get those who want higher quality.

At the end of the day this means McDonalds has reached their ceiling and shouldn't alienate the majority of their customers to prevent the loss of those who can wait longer for better food.

They should focus on making their food faster because lagging behind Wendy's who still makes better burgers in less time is a joke.

They could do a lot of other things instead of going after chains like Five Guys and In and Out.

Nothing worse than waiting a long time for food, and getting absolute trash.

Not McDonalds, but we went to Sonic and waited close to 10 minutes off to the side of the drive thru line and received this;

AsE2PIo.jpg

Yeah that doesn't look cooked at all. I got one like that at JitB before. Was lucky I didn't get salmonella

What does this mean? Is it like buses that have extra drivers on the bus so they can switch off?

Yeah, two drivers in the cab. On longer hauls drivers are not legally allowed to do the run in a single drive. Once they run out of hours they are required to stop, so two drivers keeps the load moving constantly. Obviously automation will solve this problem making over-the-road shipping much more efficient. And cheaper since trucks can always be running.

Yeah. The chili is gross. I used to work there and have bad memories of making it

Pre cooked beef is typically how chili meat is done, it's nothing "gross"

There is no way Wendy's is made to order. Assembled to order, but definitely not made.

It's close to made to order, the window of cooked meat to assembled sammich is alot smaller than at places like McD and BK who cook and leave the meat in warming trays. Wendy's typically keep the meat on the grill after main cookie for a while before the meat is stored away for use in chili or thrown out. Wendy's has there shit a bit better managed really while the others go for the easy cheap route of just making the meat ahead in large amounts and having it sit around. At BK they will often because of this will microwave the burger after applying the cheese to melt it and warm up the cooled off meat.

No guarantees, but at peak times, you have a higher chance of getting a fairly fresh burger at Wendys

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wait wait wait wait

American Drivethroughs take less than 5 minutes?

During peak times a lot of places take less than a minute. Though sometimes there are items that take longer to prepare - like Taco Bell if they don't have any "chalupa" shells already fried.

Now during late night as people are going home from drinking, that's a different story. Because at that point there's usually only 2 people inside working and there will be 10 cars all at once full of drunk people getting lots of food.

the only thing I've ever ordered at McDonald's for the last ten years is the iced coffee when it's $1. and it sucks.

Their coffee is a joke. It's like shit tier cream with a splash of coffee.

Sanjuro

During peak times a lot of places take less than a minute. Though sometimes there are items that take longer to prepare - like Taco Bell if they don't have any "chalupa" shells already fried.

Now during late night as people are going home from drinking, that's a different story. Because at that point there's usually only 2 people inside working and there will be 10 cars all at once full of drunk people getting lots of food.

Never order a chicken sandwich from Wendy's during drunk volume.

I'll beat your ass.

ColdPizza

Banned
What an odd article title. How many are there willing to permanently switch fast food restaurants because of a delay? I'll try the burger once it's available.

PulseONE

Five minutes is considered an annoyance. A McDonalds drive-thru experience should realistically be .5-1 minute tops.

I've waited in drive throughs for 20 mins + lol

That's crazy fast and people get angry for it, that's interesting haha

There is no way Mcdonalds customers will be able to wait. I expect assaults and fights in Mcdonalds to increase with this addition.

Beeks

First off, this is hilarious. Four whole minutes, oh no. Secondly, hasn't Wendy's been doing this forever? They're pretty successful.

Having worked at a Wendy's behind the grill, the fact that they're starting to grill the patties right when a customer orders is crazy. It takes 3-5 minutes for a patty to cook to servable temperatures, so we constantly loaded the grill up with new patties and staged them at regular intervals. We always had a bunch of patties in different stages of cooking so there would be ones ready whenever a customer ordered.

Different times of the day, you have different numbers of patties grilling - mid afternoon you might have a pretty light grill, but during dinner or lunch rush hour, the grill is fully loaded. If no customers ended up ordering a burger in time for a patty before it got too well done, we just shifted it off to a heated drawer to chop up later for "chili meat". I guess McD's doesn't have chili, so they don't have that natural recycling method for the unused patties, but they get enough volume that it shouldn't be a problem during rush hours. Just seems like a poorly thought out system.

The average drive thru time for Wendy's is bullshit. They'll make you park elsewhere or reverse to stop the drive thru timer. I see through your lies Wendy.

Been a decade since I worked there and different franchisees have different policies, but making customers park to wait for food was the biggest no-no when I worked there. If something went wrong and we had a hold-up at the drive-thru window, we would often run food back to the cashier window or send an employee outside with the food if they're between windows for the previous orders so we could keep the rest of the line moving, but making a customer park was considered timer-dodging and grounds for termination.

Wiped89

Only been to McDs twice in the last year.

Both times they asked me to park and wait for the food then threw hissy fits when I asked for my money back instead.

The fuck is the point of fast food if its not fast? If I had more than 5 minute or 5$ I wouldn't be there.

America.gif

In the UK we regularly wait like 5 to 10 minutes for a McDonald's. It's pretty normal.

Yes. I will.

The new Quarter Pounder with the fresh patty is definitely better.

Wendy's really knows how to do this well though. Always has patties cooking on the grill and then once they get cooked past the point of being suitable to be served as a burger, they become chili meat.

Am I the only one who buys a Qtr Pounder because it tastes like a Qtr Pounder?

I can make a burger, any jerkoff can make a burger. But I've never eaten anything that tastes quite like it.

blakep267

As a non-American, everything about this thread is baffling to me. How is 4 minutes remotely long?
Because I want to be out as short as possible. At wendys checkers, sonic you're going to be in line for a while. Especially at Wendy's where the dive thruwlines are usually packed. At mcdonalds I can do a 5 minute round trip and be back home

Only been to McDs twice in the last year.

Both times they asked me to park and wait for the food then threw hissy fits when I asked for my money back instead.

The fuck is the point of fast food if its not fast? If I had more than 5 minute or 5$ I wouldn't be there.
waiting 5 minutes for fast food doesn't give you an excuse to treat people poorly. if your time is that important maybe think about not going through a drive thru.

The average drive thru time for Wendy's is bullshit. They'll make you park elsewhere or reverse to stop the drive thru timer. I see through your lies Wendy.

Been a regular customers at Wendy's for over a decade and I have NEVER had to pull forward and wait to get my food. Its just doesn't happen there.

McDonald's, on the other hand...

Falchion

They need to have their online ordering so that it can be ready for you by the time you finish paying and get to the window like Taco Bell.

Top Bottom