• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Will McD customers accept longer wait for non-frozen patty Quarter Pounders?

JayCB

I order mine plain (with ketchup and cheese) anyway, so for years now I've had to cope with waiting a few extra minutes for them to prepare a fresh one. I've trained my whole life for this moment.

Amon37

Yeah this what I don't get. Wendy's has has fresh beef forever and according to the article is kicking the crap out of McDonald's in the speed department.

That's because Wendy's doesn't cook it to order, you guess how much business will be coming in based on trending and start cooking patties. If someone comes in they are already almost done. As others have said if not enough people come in the fully cooked patties are put in a warmer and cut up for chili meat.

Oh hey, it's sassy Wendy.

But yeah, four minutes for one burger.....hellll no.

No no, THIS is sassy Wendy

45a7786c829b44f284df51716e0ace2d.jpg

Game Guru

It's also a direct shot at Wendy's Co, Whataburger and In-N-Out. Those fresh-burger chains are among the fast-food rivals that McDonald's says have siphoned 500 million U.S. transactions from its stores since 2012.

The average service time at a McDonald's drive-through last year was 208.2 seconds, according to a study published by QSR magazine, an industry publication, using data from SeeLevel HX, an Atlanta-based business intelligence firm. That's well behind industry leader Wendy's at 169.1 seconds, according to the survey. Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts and KFC all beat McDonald's too.

I don't wait at Wendy's.

yxup4n9.jpg

And we are done here. Wendy's both has fresh burgers and is the industry leader in drive-through service. McDonald's just needs to step up its game and actually compete with rivals like Wendy's and Burger King. Or maybe just start selling chili to dispose of extra fresh hamburger patties if they cook too many.

Faiz

Wait... What?

Racist slurs? Whats racist about calling someone uppity?

It's extremely context dependent but it was often used by racist southerners against blacks who they saw as attempting to "rise above their station" so to speak.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a slur, but I also wouldn't say it to a black person I was in a disagreement with because it could look racist af.

theWB27

It's extremely context dependent but it was often used by racist southerners against blacks who they saw as attempting to "rise above their station" so to speak.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a slur, but I also wouldn't say it to a black person I was in a disagreement with because it could look racist af.

Hydro knows it wasn't that context.

OT...mcds is gross.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wendy's is so fucking expensive at this point that it is worthless to go there. That place is shit tier since 'ol Dave died.

They use better ingredients, which costs more. Normal quality beef is too expensive for McDonald's pricing. I'm not saying Wendy's burgers are great, but for fast food they're in the upper tier.

bluehat9

Whenever they ask me to pull up at MCDs I say no. Then they get a manager and I get a coupon for a free sandwich. Its the only fast food place that ever asks this.

Wendys has a great orange cream soda now, just thought id let people know.

daffy

Banned
It will be better but you'll spend the same amount that could probably feed five guys at McDonalds.
lol nah. AT BEST you pay an extra 3-4 dollars for the full meal. McD's is hella expensive if you go the full meal which most people dont do.

Honestly if you live in SoCal you may as well go to In&Out and pay about the same price

norm9

The average drive thru time for Wendy's is bullshit. They'll make you park elsewhere or reverse to stop the drive thru timer. I see through your lies Wendy.

Just go to a Five Guys if you're going to have to wait more than 5 minutes.
I've yet to have a 5 guys burger where the bread doesn't disintegrate while eating. It's always saugy as fuck hate that shit cuz everything else about the burger is fine...but damn... toast them buns or something. Cant eat no damn saugy bread burger. That's just uncivilized

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The average drive thru time for Wendy's is bullshit. They'll make you park elsewhere or reverse to stop the drive thru timer. I see through your lies Wendy.

Haven't seen that before.

Whataburger confuses me a lot. At a lot of locations, there's 2 lanes and the outer one will have a person come out for payment/delivery. They always muffle "pull up to ..." and then you realize shit which one.

The fact that people can't wait for a fresh burger says a lot.

I'm glad McDonald's are doing this, shows they want to have some pride in their product and have some quality standards as well.

Disclaimer: I work in foodservice logistics/truckload transportation.

It will be interesting to see how waste plays into this. Shelf-life is obviously shorter for fresh vs. frozen, but on the front-end they will kind of get around this using truckload team service, as opposed to a single driver who has to take a legally-mandated break that adds to the overall transit time. With team service trucks can move nearly 24/7 and typically cover most lines of supply in a day or less.

But on the back end they don't have an option for beef that is nearly gone bad like Wendy's has for chili. Unless they are planning to unveil McChili or a McMeatpie or something.

But from what I understand Wendy's still pre-cooks even though it's fresh, which leads to what they use for chili. McD, at least to start, is cooking all of these to order so they shouldn't have that problem. They just have to worry about uncooked meat going bad, which comes down to basic demand planning.

I'll be trying one. One of my main knocks against the Quarter Pounder is that is usually dry as hell. A juicier, fresh version of it sounds delish.

Dishwalla

Banned
McDonald's owns. Simple basic burgers, love them.

Wendy's is fine but they have the worst fries in fast food, at least out of the big chains. Wish they would fix that.

yyr

There's a reason Wendy's has chili. Cook too many burgers too fast? They go in the chili.

That is genius.

Wendy's is so fucking expensive at this point that it is worthless to go there. That place is shit tier since 'ol Dave died.

What? Try ordering off the value menu. Amazing value for what you get.

It's not 5 times. It's about $18 for a double bacon cheeseburger, fries, and drink

That is insanely expensive for a fast food meal. Plus, a "regular" order of Five Guys fries gives you twice as many fries as anyone should need. I hate wasting food, but I've never even come close to finishing an order. It's part of why I don't go there regularly.

zma1013

If you want to pay 5x as much and get worse fries then sure

It's not 5 times. It's about $18 for a double bacon cheeseburger, fries, and drink where I'm at VS the closest thing I can think of at McD similar in size and ingredients being the double quarter pounder with cheese meal at around $7 or $8. Plus 5 guys is better quality and gives you way more fries and I think they taste really good.

gaiages

Banned
GAF really has a fascination with McDonalds eh?

With all fast food joints, really

Our love and hate for Taco Bell knows no bounds

I've yet to have a 5 guys burger where the bread doesn't disintegrate while eating. It's always saugy as fuck hate that shit cuz everything else about the burger is fine...but damn... toast them buns or something. Cant eat no damn saugy bread burger. That's just uncivilized

I do not mean to pick on you, truly, but I have never seen anyone spell soggy like that before.

Zoe

Disclaimer: I work in foodservice logistics/truckload transportation.

It will be interesting to see how waste plays into this. Shelf-life is obviously shorter for fresh vs. frozen, but on the front-end they will kind of get around this using truckload team service, as opposed to a single driver who has to take a legally-mandated break that adds to the overall transit time. With team service trucks can move nearly 24/7 and typically cover most lines of supply in a day or less.

What does this mean? Is it like buses that have extra drivers on the bus so they can switch off?

Top Bottom