• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERH|OT| SUPERHOT SUPERHOT

Excited to play this tomorrow!!

Is there any rough play time out there or do at not know yet? It's this something to experience in one sitting or something with chapters to chip away at?

The story praise had me very surprised and delighted.
The devs have said they're aiming for Portal length, but that was back in 2013. The campaign might be longer now, not considering the speedrunning, challenges, and endless modes

Gruso

From SUPERHOT's Steam store EULA:

So if you don't agree with this, remember to decline the EULA.
Also from the EULA:

This Agreement entitles you to install and use one copy of the Software Product. In addition, you may make one archival copy of the Software Product. The archival copy must be on a storage medium other than a hard drive, and may only be used for the reinstallation of the Software Product. This Agreement does not permit the installation or use of multiple copies of the Software Product, or the installation of the Software Product on more than one computer at any given time, on a system that allows shared used of applications, on a multi-user network, or on any configuration or system of computers that allows multiple users. Multiple copy use or installation is only allowed if you obtain an appropriate licensing agreement for each user and each copy of the Software Product.
That's sorta contrary to how Steam works. Is this weird, or just the usual standard legalese that we ignore?

SPCTRE

This is one of those projects that completely falls off my radar and when it finally re-emerges, it feels like it has always been in development

This is one of those projects that completely falls off my radar and when it finally re-emerges, it feels like it has always been in development
Well, technically it has. Game's been in development since 2013; they've been working on the expanded version as soon as they saw the extremely positive response to the 7DFPS prototype

Nictel

Also from the EULA:
This Agreement entitles you to install and use one copy of the Software Product. In addition, you may make one archival copy of the Software Product. The archival copy must be on a storage medium other than a hard drive, and may only be used for the reinstallation of the Software Product. This Agreement does not permit the installation or use of multiple copies of the Software Product, or the installation of the Software Product on more than one computer at any given time, on a system that allows shared used of applications, on a multi-user network, or on any configuration or system of computers that allows multiple users. Multiple copy use or installation is only allowed if you obtain an appropriate licensing agreement for each user and each copy of the Software Product.
That's sorta contrary to how Steam works. Is this weird, or just the usual standard legalese that we ignore?

Yes and no, yes if you take that piece of text literally, no because the latter half of that sentence makes it clear it talks about multiple users using the same product. Steam's multiple copies are still only for one user.

On SUPERHOT, I wonder how much influence the Witness and its price had on deciding the price point for this game.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Yes and no, yes if you take that piece of text literally, no because the latter half of that sentence makes it clear it talks about multiple users using the same product. Steam's multiple copies are still only for one user.

On SUPERHOT, I wonder how much influence the Witness and its price had on deciding the price point for this game.

That language makes me think that it won't allow family sharing.

SerTapTap

And my first video's live!

This game is amazing, much better than I even expected after the alpha, which I loved! I didn't expect a story that I'd be interested in TBh. And the "instant action" aspect of levels is SO good.

Note I've only played an hour so far, and a half hour of the backer beta (on accident). The story's changed a fair bit from the Backer Beta, mostly polish, but it's good changes.

This has to be one of the coolest paragraphs I've ever read in a review
http://kotaku.com/superhot-the-kotaku-review-1760902123
Each of Superhot’s twenty-odd levels recreates an archetypal action-movie setpiece: The office raid, the drug deal gone wrong, the hallway brawl, the server-room shootout. One minute you’ll be in Oldboy, the next minute The Matrix. From there you’ll hop to The Raid 2 and then John Wick and then Hard Boiled and then [insert action movie here].

SerTapTap

I expect 8/9.
Am i too optimistic?

Sounds about right. My biggest worries (that it was a one note gimmick) evaporated pretty quickly. I'm now kind of surprised no one else has done bullet time this well, but you really have to treat it as the core of the game not a bonus. But it's more than bullet time too, the style is integrated so well and the story/UI ties it all together like I would have never expected.

This has to be one of the coolest paragraphs I've ever read in a review
http://kotaku.com/superhot-the-kotaku-review-1760902123

This is definitely one of the cooler aspects of the game. I couldn't identify all of them, and I'm not 100% sure they're all exactly movie references, but one of them, while obvious, made me shout
It's fightclub!
. All the scenes have a strong theme to them though.

SZips

And here's my review as well. (Mods if this isn't okay, please feel free to remove the links.)

Total Gaming Network - 5 out of 5
If you don't like text, I also made a video (same as the text but it looks more pretty since there's gameplay).

Probably one of the most innovative and fun games I've played in quite some time.

Giant Bomb review is up. 4/5 from Jeff.

All told, there's a few hours of action here before you unlock the endless modes, and those modes may very well keep you coming back for many, many more hours. It's a bit of a shame that there isn't slightly more to the core story progression, and the game could be better about surfacing high scores on a leaderboard or other details that might help make the main levels a bit more repeatable on their own. I breezed through that core progression in an afternoon, but enjoyed its little story hooks so much that I immediately started playing through it again to watch it all unfold and see if I missed any little clues about the world of Superhot. It's a strong action puzzle game with some incredibly tense moments that are certainly worth seeing for yourself.

And here's my review as well. (Mods if this isn't okay, please feel free to remove the links.)

Total Gaming Network - 5 out of 5
If you don't like text, I also made a video (same as the text but it looks more pretty since there's gameplay).

Probably one of the most innovative and fun games I've played in quite some time.
It's totally fine to post your own review links, the only time it's not OK is if you try to make a thread about whatever you're promoting

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

SerTapTap

Strange, the Destructoid review says that the MSRP is $14,99.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-superhot-343524.phtml

I assumed $15 for some reason too (I guess the KS rewards), but on closer inspection there was no official, final price listed anywhere this week. I'm still not sure what the final price is, but whether it's $15 or $25 doesn't change my recommendation personally.

If it is $25, maybe they wanted reviews to hit before revealing. Possibly a good move if so.

SZips

It's totally fine to post your own review links, the only time it's not OK is if you try to make a thread about whatever you're promoting

Good to know. I always worry about that and figure it's better safe than sorry.

As for the reviews: Really glad to see that it's getting such high praise from pretty much everyone. People are going to have a blast with this. I'm really excited to see what people that are more skilled than I am can do in those uploaded video replays.

Hektor

Good to know. I always worry about that and figure it's better safe than sorry.

As for the reviews: Really glad to see that it's getting such high praise from pretty much everyone. People are going to have a blast with this. I'm really excited to see what people that are more skilled than I am can do in those uploaded video replays.

Do those replays allow you to see what you've done in slow-mo @ fullspeed?

McDougles

Since there's no review thread, I'll post the review of SUPERHOT I did for GameSided here. I gave it an 8.5/10.

GameSided said:
“It was the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.”

That’s how the creators want me to praise the game, for reasons I wish not to share due to spoiler concerns. As simple as it is to turn their suggestion down, I have to agree with them. The game takes on the dynamics of the first-person shooter and flips it on its head, infusing puzzle elements by manipulating time to your benefit. A short, but intriguing campaign is balanced with a fair number of repeatable challenge modes, providing dozens of hours of replayability. With levels designed to expand the mind and make you think outside the box, SUPERHOT is a welcomed change to the by-the-numbers FPS genre.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I assumed $15 for some reason too (I guess the KS rewards), but on closer inspection there was no official, final price listed anywhere this week. I'm still not sure what the final price is, but whether it's $15 or $25 doesn't change my recommendation personally.

If it is $25, maybe they wanted reviews to hit before revealing. Possibly a good move if so.

Yeah, i assumed $20, as the lowest KS tier with the game was $14 if i'm not mistaken (i backed the game too, but don't remember my pledge).

danowat

Banned
Just watched Total Biscuits WTF is on this, and it looks super slick.

Anyone know the release date of the XBO version?

Top Bottom