• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 high-res PC screenshots! (READ RULES)

Tokubetsu

Shattered Horizon
shattered_horizon-2010-02-16-22-43-44-52.jpg

shattered_horizon-2010-02-16-22-45-51-33.jpg

I play with 2 - 4 MSAA on sometimes, I just get weird sometimes and prefer it off, I guess I think it gives me an edge sometimes. You can use all the advantages you can get while leading an assault on position on the darkside of a moon fragment.

JoeBoy101

Stallion Free said:
Use Fraps. It's an incredibly useful screenshot/benchmarking/recording tool.

I will change accordingly. There really are some good action shots I'd like to get too from the marine side.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JoeBoy101 said:
I will change accordingly. There really are some good action shots I'd like to get too from the marine side.

It makes life a lot easier. However, don't take .jpegs with it as it uses low quality, use .bmps or .pngs.

thesmash

Neo Member
Yea Bound In Blood is a great game too bad it got labeled as a "console port" and many people didn't even give it a chance. Chrome Engine 4 rivals Cryengine 2 on so many levels.

Funny similarity in BiB to L4D2.
cojbibgamex862009101601.png

L4D2's
left4dead22010021222591.jpg

I guess a plantation isn't really a plantation unless it has rows of trees in the frontyard, lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
This should be interesting.

Those are 4:3 shots you cropped to widescreen right? Or have you found the mythical key to correcting the FOV in Max Payne 2 (which would hopefully work in 1 as well)??

TheOctagon said:
This should be interesting.

I find it kinda ironic how a lot of the textures in Alan Wake (even when presented in bullshot form) can't match up to a game Remedy created some some 7 years ago. :/

Textures in 2003:

2.jpg

Textures in 2010:

17pf7s.jpg

:lol :lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

brain_stew said:
I find it kinda ironic how a lot of the textures in Alan Wake (even when presented in bullshot form) can't match up to a game Remedy created some some 7 years ago. :/

No PC version? So lets just put some shitty textures in and hide in darkness and blur filters!

burgerdog

brain_stew said:

Textures in 2003:

2.jpg

Textures in 2010:

17pf7s.jpg

That's just mean, but wow. :lol

Stallion Free said:
Sorry to ask this again Octagon, but have you found a way to fix the FoV in Max Payne 2? Or are you playing in 4:3 and cropping it?

It's not exactly simple, and as you probably know there is no satisfactory solution. I even asked the Remedy guys once (at Chelsea FC, of all places) and I've completely forgotten what they said. I still have the recording somewhere.

I'm really only using this FOV for screenshots. You can manually set the FOV in the game's command console (-developer) but obviously it zooms out from Max, meaning that it's not the aspect ratio fix people want. You can, though, play the game in the largest possible 4:3 mode and use another console command to force the cutscene letterbox on, then combine that with a high FOV, giving you this:

18.jpg

I'd just play it in 4:3, tbh.

yeah, both max payne games are notorious for the widescreen issues, especially consideirng how good they are. If Alan Wake came out on PC, I wouldn't be surprised if it was locked at 4:3 too!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah I read through a number of page on widescreengamingforums getting progessively more sad as I figured proper widescreen was never going to happen :(

IMACOMPUTA

TheOctagon said:
It's not exactly simple, and as you probably know there is no satisfactory solution. I even asked the Remedy guys once (at Chelsea FC, of all places) and I've completely forgotten what they said. I still have the recording somewhere.

I'm really only using this FOV for screenshots. You can manually set the FOV in the game's command console (-developer) but obviously it zooms out from Max, meaning that it's not the aspect ratio fix people want. You can, though, play the game in the largest possible 4:3 mode and use another console command to force the cutscene letterbox on, then combine that with a high FOV, giving you this:

I'd just play it in 4:3, tbh.

Hey Octagon.
So, you said that you take your screens at an insane resolution (what, like double 1080p?)
How do you do that? are you using a CRT monitor? Isn't it impossible to force a resolution higher than native res on an lcd monitor?

Vinlaen

Are you guys actually playing games with these resolutions and settings?

I have a fairly high-end system and most newer games I can play at 1920x1200, but I can't enable anti-aliasing or anything like that.

Here's my system:
C2D E8400 @ 4.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 285 1GB

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IMACOMPUTA said:
Hey Octagon.
So, you said that you take your screens at an insane resolution (what, like double 1080p?)
How do you do that? are you using a CRT monitor? Isn't it impossible to force a resolution higher than native res on an lcd monitor?

I believe he said he uses 2x2 Supersampling which is effectively doubling the resolution you are playing the game at while downsampling to your monitor resolution.

Acosta

God, Max Payne 2 textures shits over Alan Wake, how embarrassing is that?

Anyway, I have loaded Dragon Age with mods, including like 2Gb worthy of textures, maybe I will try to post some pictures later, some scenes look stunning.

brain_stew said:

You mean that's NOT from a fanmade pack?! Holy crap.

I need to beat MP1 and get on MP2 soon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't get why people are so surprised by the texture quality in Max Payne 2. It was one of the last games released before bump-mapping became incredibly prominent (it was released in 2003) and before bump-mapping, devs added more detail to games by making more detail textures. The geometry and post-processing in the games back then wasn't quite what it was today and so if you made poor textures, you couldn't hide it and your game was viewed as having bad graphics. Games today can hide poor texturing from the average viewer.

Dennis

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I don't get why people are so surprised by the texture quality in Max Payne 2. It was one of the last games released before bump-mapping became incredibly prominent (it was released in 2003) and before bump-mapping, devs added more detail to games by making more detail textures. The geometry and post-processing in the games back then wasn't quite what it was today and so if you made poor textures, you couldn't hide it and your game was viewed as having bad graphics. Games today can hide poor texturing from the average viewer.
Maybe...but low resolution textures is probably the one thing I hate the most in a lot of games today when it comes to visuals.

I blame the consoles. A lot of developers don't bother including a high resolution texture option for the PC version of a game - we just get the shitty console textures.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DennisK4 said:
Maybe...but low resolution textures is probably the one thing I hate the most in a lot of games today when it comes to visuals.

I blame the consoles. A lot of developers don't bother including a high resolution texture option for the PC version of a game - we just get the shitty console textures.

You aren't the average viewer. The average viewer is the person who buys the Xbox because that's where Halo is and all his buddies play on that system.

Suairyu

Banned
Okay I hate to be that guy, because I love seeing all of these shots, but what happened to only two large images per post? I'm finding this thread increasingly more difficult/annoying to navigate.

I've always thought of mine as medium-sized, but it's a fair cop. I'll come up with some thumbnail thingamajob when I'm not working or repairing a stupid vacuum cleaner.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Vinlaen said:

I have a fairly high-end system and most newer games I can play at 1920x1200, but I can't enable anti-aliasing or anything like that.

Here's my system:
C2D E8400 @ 4.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 285 1GB

Ya I play most all my games at those settings.

x3sphere

Vinlaen said:

Here's my system:
C2D E8400 @ 4.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 285 1GB

That system packs plenty of punch for today's games but I would not consider it high-end anymore, mid-range would be more appropriate. High end is a fast quad and HD5850 or 5870 now. Then there's the extreme high end with a 5970 or crossfire configurations of the aforementioned cards.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Waikis said:
You think tweaking the driver with nHancer or in this case ATITraytool, can magically add 30+ fps while using Edge Detect 24x?:lol

DIRT 2 : Full Detail ,8xMSAA. DX11.

It did for me. I was getting 30fps in the laboratory and the armory, which was a problem with the smoke effects. Tweaking the driver with nHancer, made my GPU find a different rendering path for the smoke effects and now i get 60fps+ on all scenes, smoke or not. If he is seeing contant 30fps then he might actually be GPU limited, but if it is only in rare occasions, then he should figure out which effect is causing the bottleneck and adjust for it.
brain_stew said:

Textures in 2003:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/435063/payne/2.jpg

Textures in 2010:

http://i45.tinypic.com/17pf7s.jpg

Alan Wake uses normal maps, and most likely has 3 texture passes per single texture. The realism of the detailed textures in Max Payne is lost in motion. A PC version would be obviously better looking, but comparing Alan Wake even in the 360 to Max Payne is nuts.

mileS said:
Like Trine the screenshots don't do a good job of showing you how good it really looks like.

I dont know I think the game looks really pretty. I get 50-60fps and it runs like this:
SH1.jpg

also here is another mass effect 2 screen:

ME1.jpg

Top Bottom