• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

I really can't see regular Joe, who paid 350$ last Christmas for a PS4, be ready to buy a "slightly better box" for another 350$, even a year from now.

As an expandable port of sort, maybe they could sell it to the more hardcore crowd, but that's technically not feasible (you can't just switch the PS4's GPU, not easily anyway).
i don't think a possible ps4.5's target audience would be regular joe

Upinsmoke

I don't see a problem with it. It might be aimed more at enthusiasts but I don't want Sony getting themselves in the red with this as that will effect shit in the long run. I'd probably be interested, need to see the specifications and such and if it would be a worthy upgrade. You could always sell or trade in your old model too.

thuway

I really can't see regular Joe, who paid 350$ last Christmas for a PS4, be ready to buy a "slightly better box" for another 350$, even a year from now.

As an expandable port of sort, maybe they could sell it to the more hardcore crowd, but that's technically not feasible (you can't just switch the PS4's GPU, not easily anyway).

Expansion ports have been demo'd on laptops using lightning adaptors. They look cool from the outside, but once you start attaching doo-hickeys to your console; you've officially entered into a territory where the simplicity begins to lose its elegance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbowuAFbslI

The smart money would be on releasing a new console every four years. Similar to how Toyota releases a new Camry "redesign" every four years. Anything shorter than four years and you run the risk of becoming a logistical nightmare for developers internally and externally balancing all platforms for optimal performance. I'm sure software will go a long way in helping though.

Peterc

The question is, could you return your ps4 and get a good discount for this one?

It was possible with the 3ds.

I think to upgrade your ps4 isn't necessary, ps4 is powerful enough.

the reason why sony brings a ps4.5 is just to get the 60 framerate for psvr.

Think about it, a new console will cost about 400$, add the psvr 400$ = 800$.

Thinking about this, people are saying that the NX console may only cost about 200$.

I don't see why.

Consumer

I leave GAF for 15 hours and this shit happens? Wtf. I need to know more details if true, but it sounds like a pretty bad idea. Nobody has a 4K TV. If they feel it's really necessary for PSVR, perhaps they should've released it alongside the PS5.

liquidtmd

Banned

I don't entirely disagree but if they arent targeting the regular Joe, why the hell are they bothering? Fragramentation of advertising, fragmenting developers time, fragmenting audience - Sony have more to worry about than the equivalent problems in the PC market.

I don't entirely disagree but if they arent targeting the regular Joe, why the hell are they bothering? Fragramentation of advertising, fragmenting developers time, fragmentinf audience - Sony have more to worry about than the equivalent problems in the PC market.
Target is XBOX one next for sure.They know something we dont.

barit

Pressure of the PC...This gen consoles are already behind at the race...

And? Who gives a shit? The big publishers definitely not. Or did anyone saw a big gap between multiplat titles last gen? No because consoles are still the main platform where every game is first build on. All the PC power is useless if your game Isn't specific build from the ground up for it. Best examples are still 1st party games from Sony. Uncharted 4, DriveClub, The Order, heck even Infamous Second Son are still unmatched on PC because it's not the raw powers that only matters.

Edit: The only game that I can think of that really tries to push the PC to its limits is Star Citiziens and that seems like Vaporware which will not come out till 2020+

Bgamer90

Banned
Not being able to focus on one platform as the lead platform overall will hurt the performance of the game.

In what way(s)? I could understand if we are talking about a new model releasing every year, but it seems like there will be nothing more than 4 or 5 relevant gaming platforms that third party games will be made on at a specific time if the current rumors are true. Shouldn't be too hard -- especially if they let users adjust a few settings.

Dahaka

I also believe the PS4.5 stems from their experiences with VR and its requirements.

VR is the next big thing and PSVR for now will be Sony's new console to bank on. And for that they need a better base power to sell that vision even better.

Zoetis

Banned
-you don't have to fork over more money!
-your existing ps4 will still be the base for ps4 games!
-this is not a new gen, they have 30m+ userbase on existing ps4 consoles!
-there are only some issues if you're jealous! :p

Nobody has a 4K TV. If they feel it's really necessary for PSVR, perhaps they should've released it alongside the PS5.

In Germany, you can buy a Philips 49" 4k TV for €444 right now. 4k is entering mass market right now and especially Sony has an interest to push this format. So, at least 4k Blu-Ray support makes absolutely sense. And while there are at it, they might as well implement 4k gaming for indie games like Journey. I still can't imagine a special beefed up SKU, though. 4k/30fps gaming needs 4 times the power of the current console generation. They need a whole generational leap for that, not an incremental update.

And? Who gives a shit? The big publishers definitely not. Or did anyone saw a big gap last gen between multiplat titles? No because consoles are still the main platform where every game is first build on. All the PC power is useless if your game Isn't specific build from the ground up for it. Best examples are still 1st party games from Sony. Uncharted 4, DriveClub, The Order, heck even Infamous Second Son are still unmatched on PC because it's not the raw powers that only matters.

I guess no one has the balls of pulling that 70% vs 30% revenue split nonsense anymore to prove how much suprior PC as platform is.

Roshin

I don't entirely disagree but if they arent targeting the regular Joe, why the hell are they bothering? Fragramentation of advertising, fragmenting developers time, fragmentinf audience - Sony have more to worry about than the equivalent problems in the PC market.

That's what I'm thinking. I can see why MS might want to do it, because the XB1 have trouble keeping up, but Sony? The PS4 is selling great. Why on earth would you even consider messing with that?

Fredrik

That's what I'm thinking. I can see why MS might want to do it, because the XB1 have trouble keeping up, but Sony? The PS4 is selling great. Why on earth would you even consider messing with that?
Maybe they're both doing this because Nintendo is more aggressive this time than we thought?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I leave GAF for 15 hours and this shit happens? Wtf. I need to know more details if true, but it sounds like a pretty bad idea. Nobody has a 4K TV. If they feel it's really necessary for PSVR, perhaps they should've released it alongside the PS5.
4k tvs are everywhere now. I went to best buy today and every tv on display was 4k. Every one.

-hadouken

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the PS4 gets the shaft down the road because more people have "PS4.x" and the developers half ass the version with less players.
PS4K having a larger install base than OG PS4 would take years - at which point you may then be thankful that they had the foresight to refresh the hardware. The PS4 and its massive install base will continue to get the full attention of devs for years to come.

Luq

If it's true, the only thing that interests me is will we have to buy new console or will there be some kind of separate box that you can purchase and plug to your console to make it more powerful.

wapplew

PS4K having a larger install base than OG PS4 would take years - at which point you may then be thankful that they had the foresight to refresh the hardware. The PS4 and its massive install base will continue to get the full attention of devs for years to come.

Then PS4K player will never have the day where dev make exclusive specific for PS4K.

seady

I used to like this idea seeing how phones and tablets have been going at it.

But a new PS console is not cheap, games are not cheap, PSN subs are not cheap.

Hence i rather, have been, sticking to upgrading my PC. I can multi-task the hell out of it, i can browse Chrome with 20 tabs, alt-tab in/out of games, all without a hint of slow down.

No one need you to upgrade to the newest iteration every time a new one comes out.

If they follow the mobile market, you can upgrade your console every 5 years, and you PS4 from 2016 supposedly will still run games coming out in 2019, just not as good as the console iteration (say PS6 by 2019) coming out that same year.

Say in 2021 the biggest blockbuster from Bungie comes out with the PS7, the game box will say "the game is compatible on system PS4.5 and above". That will be the time your PS4 no longer can run the biggest game and you will need to upgrade. So your "mandatory" upgrade to the new system will still be every 6-7 years, the only difference is you get to decide whether you want to upgrade earlier to get the optimized experience every year.

jadedm17

There's gonna be a lot of gamers pissed off because of this, if its true. Especially anyone that just recently bought a PS4...MANY WILL BE PISSED!

Technology is a river : You've gotta dive in at some point.
They can be pissed, someday learn every single company does this, and move on.

tbro777

Neo Member
i don't see this thing as being able to play games at 4K, doesn't that take a monster pc to play at that resolution? I'd be willing to bet that this will simply be a PS4 with a "built in" processor unit for PSVR so you don't need the extra box plugged into the PS4, that would seem to make the most sense to me.

UrbanRats

Yeah, but then why even bother? Why muddy the waters and confuse people, for a small upgrade, if the target audience is a subset of a subset of your market share? Might as well wait and launch a proper ps5.

If people were so obsessed with having cutting edge graphics, they would've gotten a PC, and it's not like ps4 is outputting ps2 shit, Uncharted 4 looks amazing.
I really don't see the point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Neither can Sony. People are just creating these artificial situations to show why this is a bad thing. A new machine would be aimed at people that have disposable income to spend in upgrading tech, and those that bought a Ps4 three years ago - not someone that just bought one

wapplew

No one need you to upgrade to the newest iteration every time a new one comes out.

If they follow the mobile market, you can upgrade your console every 5 years, and you PS4 from 2016 supposedly will still run games coming out in 2019, just not as good as the console iteration (say PS6 by 2019) coming out that same year.

Say in 2021 the biggest blockbuster from Bungie comes out with the PS7, the game box will say "the game is compatible on system PS4.5 and above". That will be the time your PS4 no longer can run the biggest game and you will need to upgrade. So your "mandatory" upgrade to the new system will still be every 6-7 years, the only difference is you get to decide whether you want to upgrade earlier to get the optimized experience every year.

Just like PC, dev will never build game around 980ti, all you get is higher res, better fps. You hardware will never reach full potential cause it always hold back by lower spec target machine.
In a traditional gen, dev will squeeze every drop of hardware and give you the best you can get for your hardware.
See what dev can do with a notebook cpu and 750ti equivalent (PS4), and think what can they achieve if they target 980ti only? We'll never know if dev force to support variety of hardware and hold back by lower spec machine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not being able to focus on one platform as the lead platform overall will hurt the performance of the game.

We already saw lots of cross gen games and then remasters. A console that keeps the same architecture and possibly the same tools and OS would be massively simpler to support, for something that developers and publishers were already doing anyway.

c0de

my guess is, majority of optimization will be focused on the PS4, and they'll just rely on the performance improvements they get for free on the PS4.5, i doubt there will be any major optimizations for the PS4.5 outside of game breaking bugs

It would be a shame if devs wouldn't exploit the hardware to its fullest, in both cases. Thing is, we will never know when it comes to exclusives, as we will only get a normal and a better version.
Multiplatform games will be like ever on consoles: specific target for an already multiplatform engine.

Man

With a console update releasing only every three years and with relatively close architecture between them (seen from a high level) then it's still fully possible to optimize each just as being done with consoles today.
With yearly updates you would start to lose that.

vcc

I'm more interested in the next Xbox. I think after a while, you're likely to want to a different experience.

Xbox is different?

I mean if you were picking different wouldn't it be the wii U? or PSVR? or the one with first parties doing stuff other than mainstream FPS/third person action?

is the current rumor no CPU upgrade? That's really dumb if true considering how big of a bottleneck point the crappy tablet CPU is.

The article at Kotaku only speaks of "GPU", but who knows.
If they just want to push resolution and nothing else it's also not dumb. A better GPU (and faster RAM) would be enough for that.

End of the year,did you mean announcement?

Hey, I don't care who you are but this better not happen this year. Fall 2017 the earliest. I'll blame you if this happens this year (or doesn't happen at all).

oti

Banned
Maybe they're both doing this because Nintendo is more aggressive this time than we thought?

You know, at this point I don't even know if these comments are jokes or not. I don't believe either Sony or MS care at all what Nintendo is doing.

Top Bottom