• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films that will have a cult following in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I nominate Watchmen. A lot of people didn't appreciate what they had going on here.
watchmen_movie_minutemen450.jpg

And of course. Speed Racer:
speed-racer-blu-ray-cover-art-773589.jpg

bjork

Judging by the sad antics surrounding the Repo Men release by the fans of Repo! The Genetic Opera, I'm guessing we'll be seeing overweight Genterns and poorly-done Graverobbers well into the future.

bjork said:
Judging by the sad antics surrounding the Repo Men release by the fans of Repo! The Genetic Opera, I'm guessing we'll be seeing overweight Genterns and poorly-done Graverobbers well into the future.

I didn't know there were actually people out there who liked that piece of shit movie

bjork

funkmastergeneral said:
I didn't know there were actually people out there who liked that piece of shit movie

I like it fine, but there's a thing right now where you can license R!TGO for $200 on March 19 so it can be played opposite the Repo Men opening. People are putting "! The Genetic Opera" over the "Men" part of Repo Men posters. Shit like that. Their dedication to a film is pretty puzzling.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
harSon said:
There's only one correct answer and it starts with speed and ends with racer.
Yep. Speed Racer is amazing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
A cult following suggests to me two things:

1. It's a cult because the film spoke to some element of society that is otherwise underserved.

2. The film probably wasn't that good, but had some unique presentation or soon-to-be-famous actor that "sells out."

I was going to come in here to say Speed Racer. I have been singing it's praises and have converted at least 5 of my friends recently in to believers.

Veritas_

Charmicarmicat said:
Maybe Moon. The fact that it got NO Oscar nominations suggests its not so possible but it's one of my favourite films of late.
I'll second this. Moon was amazing, yet I felt it was not given the recognition it deserves.

Amir0x

Banned
subzero9285 said:
The Fall.

Great one. It's an absolute marvel to watch. The fact that there's virtually no computer assisted visual effects is astonishing to me each time.

Pan's Labyrinth is going to have a cult following, it already kinda amassed one.

Veritas_ said:
I'll second this. Moon was amazing, yet I felt it was not given the recognition it deserves.
Thirded. Moon is probably my favorite movie to come out last year. Fuck the academy and their ten nominations (and the fact that best animated will go to Up when Fantastic Mr. Fox was way better).

Buttonbasher said:
Synecdoche, New York
Yet another reason I despise the academy, even if it's not Charlie Kauffman's best film.

I guess I'll agree with Speed racer in that a very dedicated small group love it. I don't think I could ever stand to watch it again. I thought Zombie Land might be before I saw it, but I really don't think so now.

Amir0x

Banned
Vyer said:
The only place Speed Racer will have a following is GAF.

Seriously. Virtually everyone I know hates it. Shit, even online most places I visit people hate it. neoGAF is in their own bubble on this film, a world where horrendous scripting and bad acid trip visuals, along with painfully inappropriate adherence to source material, are apparently a strength, not a weakness.

Of course, I also live in a world where people love Transformers movies and they always sell a billion dollars worth of tickets and DVDs. So I get a small victory with Speed Racer bombing, but shit like that thrives!

At least The Happening bombed, right!?

Man

LOTR is probably one of the best examples of a current following. It's aided by the literature but the movies provide enough material on their own.

I guess that Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire HBO series) will be highly, highly regarded.

tyrion-lannister-peter-dinklage.jpg

-Eddman-

Love Exposure (I hope). Way better than Battle Royale, Suicide club or many other asian movies that otakus worship.

Amir0x

Banned
Man said:
LOTR is probably one of the best examples of a current following. It's aided by the literature but the movies provide enough material on their own.

LOL.

There is absolutely no way anything related to Lord of the Rings can have a CULT following. The movies grossed fifty trillion dollars, won tons of awards, amassed huge followings, as big as any movie franchise around. And it's even getting ANOTHER movie in the series with The Hobbit, based on the book naturally.

This is the least cult-thing ever. It's the anti-cult!

I am the biggest LOTR geek on GAF, have a huge collection of LOTR memorabilia, 15 different copies of the trilogy and The Hobbit and his other books and collections, and even I don't think it has a cult following.

Vyer

Man said:

I guess that Game of Thrones (Song of Fire and Ice HBO series) will be highly, highly regarded.

tyrion-lannister-peter-dinklage.jpg
I don't think that's quite the definition of a cult following the OP is looking for.

harSon

Banned
How about Bubba Ho-Tep? I'm not sure if I'd consider it to be a genuine cult film, while it has certainly reached that status, I think the creators went into the film trying to create a cult film.

Man

Amir0x said:
This is the least cult-thing ever. It's the anti-cult!
Vyer said:
I don't think that's quite the definition of a cult following the OP is looking for.
Oh my mistake, my brain was telling me obsession on a huge scale.

On that note (cult following), I thought Thirst was very cool, probably my favorite vampire flick (yes, even above that swedish tale).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Speed Racer
The New World
Miami Vice
Southland Tales

I don't think Moon is original and unique enough to retain a cult following in a decade or more. I think it's more 'flavour of the month/year'.

koam

Why on earth would speed racer have a cult following? 3 people liking it on a GAF doesn't count.

Same goes for Book of Eli, the only reason this movie is getting any attention if because a GAFFER wrote it. The movie was pretty horrid.

bjork

harSon said:
How about Bubba Ho-Tep? I'm not sure if I'd consider it to be a genuine cult film, while it has certainly reached that status, I think the creators went into the film trying to create a cult film.

Not to derail, but is this a good movie? I've had the DVD sitting here for a couple months ($2 on sale, couldn't pass up a Bruce Campbell movie at that price) but haven't watched it yet.

koam said:
Same goes for Book of Eli, the only reason this movie is getting any attention if because a GAFFER wrote it. The movie was pretty horrid.

Never mind that it cleared $100M, right? I liked it, but I might not have if YOU wrote it. :fume

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
koam said:
Why on earth would speed racer have a cult following? 3 people liking it on a GAF doesn't count.
I know a bunch of people who like it and don't post on GAF.
Films that have a cult following tend to be wildly original and sometimes bizarre works that turn off a lot of people (maybe even the majority) with their idiosyncrasies, but appeal to a select few who feel they 'get' the movie in a special way. Speed Racer fits that description.

Nert

I'll back up Crank 2: High Voltage. If you view it as a parody of the excesses and shitty plot devices used by a lot of modern action movies, it's pretty phenomenal. The Godzilla inspired fight scene and some of the other gags (like cutting to a scene "Nine Seconds Later") are wonderful. In the beginning of the film, they even describe the events of the first film as "bullshit." The soundtrack itself is pretty hilarious.

On a more mainstream level, this film was probably seen as a bad to mediocre action movie with a "bad" plot, so it seems niche enough to count as a cult movie.

harSon

Banned
Krev said:
Speed Racer
The New World
Miami Vice
Southland Tales

I don't think Moon is original and unique enough to retain a cult following in a decade or more. I think it's more 'flavour of the month/year'.

Nice one, people have started to come around since its mixed reviews upon release..

koam

Krev said:
I know lots of people who like it and they don't post on GAF.
Films that have a cult following tend to be wildly original and sometimes bizarre works that turn off a lot of people (maybe even the majority) with their idiosyncrasies, but appeal to a select few who feel they 'get' the movie in a special way. Speed Racer fits that description.

Yes but you're missing one crucial part of cult movies, they're actually good to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom