• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films that will have a cult following in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
koam said:
Yes but you're missing one crucial part of cult movies, they're actually good to begin with.
Speed Racer is very good to the select group who love it.
It can't be a 'cult' movie if everybody likes it.

harSon

Banned
bjork said:
Not to derail, but is this a good movie? I've had the DVD sitting here for a couple months ($2 on sale, couldn't pass up a Bruce Campbell movie at that price) but haven't watched it yet.

I personally liked it, it's no Evil Dead and it's a bit forced at times but it's certainly worth a watch.

PoliceCop

Banned
bjork said:
Not to derail, but is this a good movie? I've had the DVD sitting here for a couple months ($2 on sale, couldn't pass up a Bruce Campbell movie at that price) but haven't watched it yet.

Never mind that it cleared $100M, right? I liked it, but I might not have if YOU wrote it. :fume

It's pretty damn good.

OP gets it right.

Synecdoche was SO overlooked too, this will get its recognition one of these days.
Also, The Fountain, In Bruges and The Brothers Bloom.

Borgnine said:
Hopefully this Speed Racer cult is the kind where they kill themselves.
:lol Right on.

I've passed by Synecdoche, New York in Blockbuster several times without having a second look... guess I'll have to pick that up.

Also, I think Let the Right One In qualifies for this list.

polyh3dron said:
Also, The Fountain and The Brothers Bloom.
The Fountain bored me half to death but damn, you hit the nail on the head with The Brothers Bloom. I just saw it only a month or two ago and was so surprised with it.

tokkun

koam said:
Yes but you're missing one crucial part of cult movies, they're actually good to begin with.

Rocky Horror is probably the biggest cult movie of all time, and it is an awful film.

Dead

well not really...yet
24b86x5.jpg

Fuck yeah Speed Racer

soyboy

Southland Tales is going to have an amazing cult following in ten years or so. Hopefully people will realize what an experience this film is.

tokkun said:
Rocky Horror is probably the biggest cult movie of all time, and it is an awful film.
Shut your whore mouth.

soyboy said:
Southland Tales is going to have an amazing cult following in ten years or so. Hopefully people will realize what an experience this film is.
God, I hope not.

gdt

soyboy said:

I hope that movie stays in it's hole.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
soyboy said:
The experience of anal invasion?

just kidding

Macmanus

bjork said:

It's a shit load better than Speed Racer. However that should give you absolutely zero indication to it's caliber as a film.

Seriously people, fucking Speed Racer?

Calling it now: The Karate Kid 2010 (Chan and Smith)

I predict it will be a good movie which will be overlooked because its a remake of a cherished childhood movie. 10 years down the line both the original and the remake will be appreciated (while everyone hates the new remake!!)

Also, I bet Jeeja Yanin's current thai movies (Chocolate) will have a cult following (in NA) 10 years down the line after she breaks into hollywood (I hope she breaks into hollywood... ::swoons::)

harSon

Banned
gdt5016 said:
?

The movie made a ton of money, and is nominated for Best Picture.

Thats not cult.

I don't think revenue is a parameter for cult status. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is considered to be a cult film and it wasn't exactly a slouch at the box office.

I'll say this again. I showed Speed Racer to a group of friends who consisted almost entirely of haters on the film, and they all liked it. Hell, some of them went out and bought it a couple days later. My ex-girlfriend who I had to almost literally drag to the movie ended up loving it. Even my current girlfriend loves it.

If you don't like Speed Racer your inner child is dead. Awesome movie.

InnerFu

Neo Member
I'm with GuitarAtomik

I've yet to meet a person in real life that didn't at least enjoy speed racer if they'd seen it.....most of them loved it as i did.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Any current movie that GAF hates.

Hell, give it 6 mo. and they'll love it.

The converse also applies.

Ashhong

Jibril said:
I nominate Watchmen. A lot of people didn't appreciate what they had going on here.
watchmen_movie_minutemen450.jpg

And of course. Speed Racer:
speed-racer-blu-ray-cover-art-773589.jpg
I came here to post speed racer. I'm glad to see you got that covered

MutFox

Banned
Speed Racer had awesome racing scenes,
but that kid was really annoying... Like Jar Jar.

Watchmen was awesome, but some of the acting was cringe worthy.

Vyer

harSon said:
I don't think revenue is a parameter for cult status. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is considered to be a cult film and it wasn't exactly a slouch at the box office.
That's only because of it's budget, though. B&T only grossed like 40 mill. That wasn't even top 30 in 1989.

v0yce

soyboy said:

Awful, awful, awful nonsense. Terrible. Avoid at all cost. Warning. Warning. Warning.

Nyrad said:

Yes. A true gem.

Amir0x said:
The Happening
Oooh, that's a good one! I'd go with that.

Primer is one, but that's pretty much a cult classic already. The King of Kong is another one, though the same thing applies there.

The Wild Blue Yonder, maybe? Very niche, and I’m not sure if anyone likes it.

koam

Krev said:
Speed Racer is very good to the select group who love it.
It can't be a 'cult' movie if everybody likes it.

I just hope that the people who like this movie don't like it because the main guy is the same guy from Lost.

I wasn't a big fan but I could see "Where the Wild Things are" becoming one.
wild.jpg

"Kiss kiss bang bang" is another.
kiss_kiss_bang_bang.jpg

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Sunshine is beyond cult.

Everyone pretty much realizes the film is 2/3 great, and 1/3rd absolute betrayal of trust.

I still watch it every so often though. Such a beautiful film.

bjork said:

Bubba Ho-tep is really good, surprisingly poignant.

koam said:
I just hope that the people who like this movie don't like it because the main guy is the same guy from Lost.

I wasn't a big fan but I could see "Where the Wild Things are" becoming one.
wild.jpg

"Kiss kiss bang bang" is another.
kiss_kiss_bang_bang.jpg

Matthew Fox wasn't the main character in Speed Racer.

C-Jo

Jibril said:
Sunshine is beyond cult.

Everyone pretty much realizes the film is 2/3 great, and 1/3rd absolute betrayal of trust.

I still watch it every so often though. Such a beautiful film.
Beyond cult in terms of popularity? I never really got that impression, but I could definitely be wrong. You're 100% right about the absolute betrayal of trust though. But I'm shallow enough that I still adore it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Raydeen said:
I hope. Such a fantastic movie. I think the fact that it stars Colin Farrell probably turns off a lot of people, but he gives a surprisingly great performance.

Children of Men, too. Unless it's a bit too popular to be a cult movie, I'd say it already is one. I think CoM will stand the test of time sort of akin to Bladerunner, honestly.

The Happening is also a good mention. Yes it's shitty, but I keep saying it- it's one of the best "so bad it's good" movies of the decade.

JGS

Banned
Speed Racer, but I don't know how it's going to get that needed push.

I say Children of Men since it was kind of overshadowed Pan's Labrynth but is more topical and better told imo (Although Pan was amazing too).

I would also say The Prestige.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom