• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films that will have a cult following in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I think Speed Racer is on the cusp of either being utterly forgotten to ascending to cult status. Right now it's a couple of random critics (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1738558,00.html) with some random people on the internet who post about how brilliant it is. But who knows, maybe it'll be more in ten years and we'll look back at 2010 and go LOL WE LIKED AVATAR OVER SPEED RACER???
I don't think it'll happen, just saying.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
harSon said:
Nice one, people have started to come around since its mixed reviews upon release..
I worshipped Miami Vice as a kid, but never saw the movie.

My answer? Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Will Ferrell back when he was still funny. :lol

Aesius

observe_and_report.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Danne-Danger said:
The Wild Blue Yonder, maybe? Very niche, and I’m not sure if anyone likes it.
Well I like it, but I don't think it will be a real 'cult' film. As you say, it's perhaps too niche. Films like that continue to be viewed by (admittedly small) audiences when a lot of more popular contemporary movies have totally faded from memory though, so that's something.

C-Jo

I didn't mention Moon before because duh, of course. Same with with Oldboy too, I think it already has a huge cult following.

Moon is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.

Movies I hope it would happen for but am doubtful:

Right At Your Door
Pandorum
The Machinist
Man on Fire
Narc

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Jibril said:
Sunshine is beyond cult.

Everyone pretty much realizes the film is 2/3 great, and 1/3rd absolute betrayal of trust.

I still watch it every so often though. Such a beautiful film.
I would argue that the last act of the film is absolutely necessary.
In fact, I think that the movie is at its core anti-religious. At the end, there must be a conflict between those who want to give humanity over to some cosmic fate and those who think that humanity can make its own destiny and must work to preserve its place in the universe.

Anyway, I just got done watching Moon. I really liked it, but not only have these ideas been done before, but they've been presented in very similar ways, so it doesn't have quite the same impact on me as it would if I didn't have that context to place it into.

Gilby

Skiptastic said:
This and Speed Racer are what make me questions GAF's taste.

How about a good movie based off police officers that DESERVES a cult following?

hot_fuzz.jpg

Hot Fuzz already has WAY more than a cult following.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Mgoblue201 said:
Anyway, I just got done watching Moon. I really liked it, but not only have these ideas been done before, but they've been presented in very similar ways, so it doesn't have quite the same impact on me as it would if I didn't have that context to place it into.
Exactly. That's why I suspect that it's not going to retain a strong cult following over the decades.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Speed Racer

The Prestige (if it isn't big enough already by your standards, not a whole lot of people I've met know of it)

(500) Days of Summer

The Brothers Bloom

District B13

Zodiac

I see a lot more people getting up on Sin Nombre too.

Maybe Redbelt or Observe & Report

koam

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Matthew Fox wasn't the main character in Speed Racer.

He's also not really the main guy in lost, you know what i mean :p

I soo need to check out Bronson

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
KingJ2002 said:
Yeah, watched it over 5 times already. Really can't see how it under performs compared to Ritchie's other efforts. I was excited as fuck for sequels but now they're probably not coming ever. People will love it down the line though

InnerFu

Neo Member
Mgoblue201 said:
I would argue that the last act of the film is absolutely necessary.
In fact, I think that the movie is at its core anti-religious. At the end, there must be a conflict between those who want to give humanity over to some cosmic fate and those who think that humanity can make its own destiny and must work to preserve its place in the universe.

I agree with you to a certain extent.
The presence of the captain was absolutely needed to complete the film....but did they really need to make him some mutant zombie looking dude? The first 2/3 of the movie had me hooked....i was buying everything they were feeding to me. Even when they first revealed what happened to the Icarus-1 i was still right there with them. But when the guy turned out to somehow be immune to flesh disintegrating light it took me out of the movie and made me go "lol wtf?" Had they not gone the whole space zombie route and instead just made the captain a regular mortal sunshine would be nearly flawless for me. Regardless its still a GREAT movie though.

gdt

koam said:
He's also not really the main guy in lost, you know what i mean :p

I soo need to check out Bronson

Well, he is the main guy in Lost. Even Solo would tell you that.

In Speed Racer, he was supporting.

Man From Earth fo' sho
In the Loop (new Dr. Strangelove....count on it)
Crank
Speed Racer probably (it was a pile of shit though)
The Fountain
Vallhalla Rising (from the director of Bronson and Pusher trilogy, starring the dude in my abuhdar)

Helmholtz

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The Prestige (if it isn't big enough already by your standards, not a whole lot of people I've met know of it)

Zodiac
Second these. I think Zodiac is pretty under appreciated and overlooked.

KingJ2002 said:
Is this any good? I've been curious about it ever since I bought the soundtrack to get "Have Love Will Travel" by the Sonics. I've heard mixed things about it, but damn if that soundtrack isn't awesome!

C-Jo

I AM JOHN! said:
Is this any good? I've been curious about it ever since I bought the soundtrack to get "Have Love Will Travel" by the Sonics. I've heard mixed things about it, but damn if that soundtrack isn't awesome!
I wouldn't quite call it a return to form, but it's far and away the best thing he's done since Snatch. That's not saying much I know, but I'd still recommend it.

Snaku

Banned
Marshall, Will and Holly
On a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known
High on the rapids It struck their tiny raft (insert screams here)
And plunged them down a thousand feet below
To the
oumd00.jpg

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Aesius said:

This and Adventureland from last year. I would like to see Love Exposure and Fish Story grow to be Old Boy huge cult status some day. I would like A Town Called Panic to get Wallace and Gromit huge at some point too. The American Astronaut cult is still growing with new people everyday but I think if Cory ever decided to show Stingray Sam on Adult Swim, he can finally make his Werewolves of the Midwest film.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Discotheque said:
In the Loop (new Dr. Strangelove....count on it)
I like In the Loop, but Dr. Strangelove was a lot more cutting and provocative, not to mention stylistically interesting.

Also, Snaku is a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom