• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes, there have been a few released. They're not as easy to find as they should be, but they're normally released on the corresponding PSN Blog post with the trailers.

There hasn't been one for the Aquarium/Bar, the art for Neo-Esaka was only seen in some promo-art used during one of the HK shows, and I don't think we've seen one at all of the Antonov Arena.

Thank you very much for those pictures! Much Appreciate!

VariantX

SNK games usually had some of the best looking stages and it seems the tradition will continue here as well. Iguazu looks amazing

TreIII

Saw this over at MMCafe, and figured it was worth sharing.

Since we learned Sylvie is NESTS related and mysterious hooded guy is involved in Ash Saga, someone from the facebook fan page suggest masked stance girl maybe related to Orochi Saga. This way Invitation Team covers all sagas. I liked the idea.

- http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13585.shtml#73239

That would be interesting, if said theory panned out. I'd just wonder how the "Orochi era representative" could fit in to the mix.

OmegaDL50

Vanessa stole his moves :V

I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded Vanessa's back story, it's linked that Rick Strowd was her personal boxing teacher / trainer.

When I played KOF 2000 a few years ago when it first came out and tried out the new characters I noticed immediately that some of her moves were identical to some of Rick's moveset.

Loona

Saw this over at MMCafe, and figured it was worth sharing.

- http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13585.shtml#73239

That would be interesting, if said theory panned out. I'd just wonder how the "Orochi era representative" could fit in to the mix.

Well, Vice and Mature are perpetual Orochi reps...

But it'd be a heck of a twist if the masked girl turned out to have Shermie's moved and had just developed another way to never let us see her eyes...

TreIII

Well, Vice and Mature are perpetual Orochi reps...

But it'd be a heck of a twist if the masked girl turned out to have Shermie's moved and had just developed another way to never let us see her eyes...

Pffffffffffft.

But in all seriousness...what if the "Invitation" team were all somehow working for the new boss dude? We already know Kyary- I mean, Sylvie is a misfit that was abandoned by NESTS, all three members of the team were all "marooned" in some way (though Hooded Guy may have time travel shenanigans to blame for that).

Loona

But in all seriousness...what if the "Invitation" team were all somehow working for the new boss dude? We already know Kyary- I mean, Sylvie is a misfit that was abandoned by NESTS, all three members of the team were all "marooned" in some way (though Hooded Guy may have time travel shenanigans to blame for that).

What if the marooning for the masked lady doesn't apply to Orochi, but to another story antagonist... I mean, Adel, Rose and Duo Lon must have mothers, famous as their fathers are in the story...

TreIII

What if the marooning for the masked lady doesn't apply to Orochi, but to another story antagonist... I mean, Adel, Rose and Duo Lon must have mothers, famous as their fathers are in the story...

...For that matter. We apparently know that Rugal had a younger brother that he used work with, but they parted ways after some type of "differences".

And now we have this new, cigar-chomping "billionaire" guy serving as a mid-boss. Who also likes to go shirtless. I wonder...

Tizoc

Look I'll believe you if you told me that a Mexican Stripper was a member of Global Criminal Organization
I'll believe you if you told me Tetsuo was a member of a Global Criminal Organization
I'll believe you if you told me a lady fencer ties and actual honest to gosh FLAG around her hair is a member of Global Criminal Organization
Ninjas are far for the course, but of course a Global Criminal Organization would have ninjas AND tame and train pet Lions

But Sylvie? Now you're jumping the shark..

Het_Nkik

Yes, there have been a few released. They're not as easy to find as they should be, but they're normally released on the corresponding PSN Blog post with the trailers.

There hasn't been one for the Aquarium/Bar, the art for Neo-Esaka was only seen in some promo-art used during one of the HK shows, and I don't think we've seen one at all of the Antonov Arena.

Higher res of the last two:

OWGDbF0.png

WmpiF3E.jpg

OmegaDL50

...For that matter. We apparently know that Rugal had a younger brother that he used work with, but they parted ways after some type of "differences".

And now we have this new, cigar-chomping "billionaire" guy serving as a mid-boss. Who also likes to go shirtless. I wonder...

The thing is, Rugal was German, and this Antonov guy is Russian, so the brotherly connection really wouldn't apply due to different counties of origin, unless SNK wants to do the half-brother thing again like they did with Geese and Krauser.

Higher res of the last two:

This reminds me of Big Bear's stage from Fatal Fury 2 / Special

I like how some of these stages seem to have various throwback references to previous SNK stage designs.

NeonZ

The thing is, Rugal was German, and this Antonov guy is Russian, so the brotherly connection really wouldn't apply due to different counties of origin, unless SNK wants to do the half-brother thing again like they did with Geese and Krauser.

I like how some of these stages seem to have various throwback references to previous SNK stage designs.

The Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting teams shared a similar "gas station in the middle of nowhere" stage in KoF96, with a truck parked there for the FF version.

kof96-stage-fatalfuryteam.gif
kof96-stage-aofteam.gif

Het_Nkik

Now that I'm reading the signs in the KOFXIV stage, it's kind of lols. You can get get a "USA meal" of "the original hamburger"!

Kamina777

Banned
Alright I have to say that the new KOF XIV characters are better than SFIV and SFV new characters.
Anyone who has Guts/Gatsu as an avatar is good judge of whats what especially in character design. I agree, street fighter has lost it completely when it comes to designs, most of the old g4uarf must be gone, with the exception of pandering sylvie the middle aged loli, snk has been knocking the out of the park with solid designs.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Reminds me more of Rick's stage in Real Bout 2.

Rbff2terrybg.gif

Labolas

Anyone who has Guts/Gatsu as an avatar is good judge of whats what especially in character design. I agree, street fighter has lost it completely when it comes to designs, most of the old g4uarf must be gone, with the exception of pandering sylvie the middle aged loli, snk has been knocking the out of the park with solid designs.

Thank you, kind sirs

TreIII

Half-brother was the main thing I was considering, yeah. Another I was considering is that while the assumption is that Rugal is German, to my recollection, it was never 100% confirmed (due to how his place of birth was always stated as "Unknown"). Which would be all the opening they need if they wanted to give Rugal yet another estranged familial tie we didn't expect.

At least if my theory panned out, maybe Adel (and Rose?) would have a third member to add to a team of their own, if they were to ever get added back into the mix any time in the near future.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And now another character in 2k2 character select style!:
CemlL84WAAA5FF1.png

As is proper of her, she is WAY too busy for the classic 2D style, so I just embraced it, rather than trying to simplify it. Went with one of Kyary's more goofy pics as a base, rather than something simply cute or pretty, because I hope to see this kind of side of her in game, too.

And SNKP's Pic of the Day:
Cemn4x_WsAEXQid.jpg:orig

I like that new truck stop stage. I find the most boring fighting game stages are usually the ones without any life/moving people in the background.

qcf x2

I would love that stage if it had tumbleweeds roll by. Dunno how that NPC got so ripped chugging beer though. Everybody doing roids these days huh?

Love this stage, has a nice "fighting game classic" feel to it.

Please someone buy my boy Chin a new pair of shoes already.

lol

lol I just noticed that, what a nice touch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really liking the hand-crafted motion blurs. Such a 2D game style thing, especially with how the colors of the limb and accessories mesh along with it. Something that has to be modified to fit every costume color or change to work, too...

BadWolf

Looks like there's a new queen in town, she can stomp on my face any time.

Seriously great design.

Yeah Luong is a lock for my team. So far I got her and Tung for sure, the battle for the third spot will be fierce :/

Ditto, so far my day 1 team is looking to be:

Angel/Luong/?

Laban on SRK said:
Due to circumstances, we weren't able to get a KOFXIV demo available at NCR this year. With my source, whom is also the person who would have been the one to provide the demo for KOFXIV, SNKP would have allowed him to be the one in charge of providing the demo at NCR only and if only SNKP didn't find a publisher for KOFXIV by the 21st. My source had the demo disc, but no PS4 dev kit to play it on. A Sony representative was supposed to come out and provide one to the event, but last minute plans changed as the Sony representative wasn't able to do so since SNKP last minute found a publisher by the designated time on the 21st.

So good news, I guess: KOFXIV has a publisher that I honestly don't know who it is.

Bad news: I didn't get to play any KOFXIV this weekend.

----

So, I have a big feeling KOFXIV will be playable at EVO this year, and I'll do my best to get footage and break down the game while I'm there. Sorry guys, and just giving an update on the situation.

tl;dr: it was about to be lit but then it wasn't

BadWolf

She bears a resemblance to Chizuru without the headband.

There also seems to be a design change to Luong since her leaked portrait art, she had some white streaks in her hair before. The final design in the trailer doesn't have them.

tl;dr: it was about to be lit but then it wasn't

Damn, at least there's some good news to be had from that. And we should be getting lots of footage from a brand new build next month (20 playable characters) at the JP tournament.

Wonder if the publisher could be Atlus? They did a good job with XIII iirc.

Loona

Damn, at least there's some good news to be had from that. And we should be getting lots of footage from a brand new build next month (20 playable characters) at the JP tournament.

Wonder if the publisher could be Atlus? They did a good job with XIII iirc.

Would be nice, Atlus did all the promotional heavy lifting for the game, and did a hell of a job at it considering they were working primarily for america, compared to Rising Star in Europe.
Once Persona became their fighting game of course KoF lost focus, but I don't quite recall if Atlus has another fighting game under their wing for the near future...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
She bears a resemblance to Chizuru without the headband.

Yeah, I agree. It's part of the reason I want to play her too.

We could only hope.

I'd even take ASW, if it meant their netcode was being involved, and nothing else.

Stressed for emphasis, lol. "we just need you for your Code..." It'd be an interesting partnership. SNKP teaming with SOMEONE that would ensure that the netcode gets an extra once-over would be ace.

But man I'd hate Aksys-style writing in the game, lol. I was very impressed how well XIII (and even XII) still sounded like an SNK arcade game (with the odd jokes, overall good-natured-even-when-evil tone, and esoteric out there references), and I really hope that carry-over from 90s arcade personality is perfectly maintained here.

Would be nice, Atlus did all the promotional heavy lifting for the game, and did a hell of a job at it considering they were working primarily for america, compared to Rising Star in Europe.
Once Persona became their fighting game of course KoF lost focus, but I don't quite recall if Atlus has another fighting game under their wing for the near future...

It'd be good to see them help again, they seem to know their limits and place of involvement well. Everything they brought to the table just seemed quite positive, and watching them help with tourney setups and previews and such was quite nice. They seemed like a great partner pre, and post release.

Top Bottom