• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

ASW doesn't even publish their own console games in the US!

True, but on the other hand, it'd pretty much mean Aksys would be on board. I suppose the only thing to worry about is when it comes to Europe (based on how ASW game releases are treated there). But considering that's one of the places where KOF is strong, maybe SNKP would do a bit more to make sure that segment of the fanbase was adequately taken care of.

Stressed for emphasis, lol. "we just need you for your Code..." It'd be an interesting partnership. SNKP teaming with SOMEONE that would ensure that the netcode gets an extra once-over would be ace.

But man I'd hate Aksys-style writing in the game, lol. I was very impressed how well XIII (and even XII) still sounded like an SNK arcade game (with the odd jokes, overall good-natured-even-when-evil tone, and esoteric out there references), and I really hope that carry-over from 90s arcade personality is perfectly maintained here.

I dunno. XIII definitely had a competent, and more importantly, fun dub, but it still wasn't immune from inserting memes and other jokes here and there (Billy being a PKMN master? Hah!). Not unlike how Aksys probably would have done if their writers were plopped in the same instance.

Either way, though, I'm hoping SNKP chose a publishing partner that would do the best to make sure KOFXIV is given the best tools to succeed. I just think ASW probably would be a decent pick because ASW already has a good relationship with smaller fighting game devs like Team FK and EXAMU.

And again, it can't be denied that a SNK game getting ASW netcode (plus other nifty lobby features) would be one of the best outcomes that could happen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cew3EymWAAAf14G.jpg:orig

I dunno. XIII definitely had a competent, and more importantly, fun dub, but it still wasn't immune from inserting memes and other jokes here and there (Billy being a PKMN master? Hah!). Not unlike how Aksys probably would have done if their writers were plopped in the same instance.

I don't care about meme humor (some characters in KoF would pick up that kind of stuff, and SNK translations always put awkwardly modern or time-specific humor in their games, much like Working Designs), that's pretty appropriate SNK(P).

It's the overblown vulgarity and strength of swearing, and overall try-hard to be edgy of Aksys dubs that reminds me of old ADV 90s dubs in the worse way, that I dislike. It diminishes character separate voices, and makes it feel like there's always one of their writers who jumps in when ANYONE gets mad or belligerent. This probably works well for people who think that's how everyone talks, or are use to it... but it's REALLY sloppy and and pander~y to me.

Either way, though, I'm hoping SNKP chose a publishing partner that would do the best to make sure KOFXIV is given the best tools to succeed. I just think ASW probably would be a decent pick because ASW already has a good relationship with smaller fighting game devs like Team FK and EXAMU.

And again, it can't be denied that a SNK game getting ASW netcode (plus other nifty lobby features) would be one of the best outcomes that could happen.

Yeah, this is ultimately the most important thing. I definitely respect the strengths they bring to the table.

I wonder how many features like netcode and lobbies are up in the air currently. Are they at a point where someone else can have influence? It's one part I'd love to know much more about.

I have a feeling that KOF XIV is going to be the next original KOF '98 & KOF 2002: Unlimited Match in huge popularity, unlike with KOF XIII despite being better graphically (though KOF XIV is shaping up nicely in that department). :)

The fact that most of the original SNK staff consisting of past SNK games/series like Fatal Fury, Garou, Real Bout, AOF, etc. that are working on this game & are fine tuning on it's gameplay to be just like '98/'02:UM proves it. All we need now is the netcode to be very spectacular like with games such as Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Soul Calibur V.

TreIII

I don't care about meme humor (some characters in KoF would pick up that kind of stuff, and SNK translations always put awkwardly modern or time-specific humor in their games, much like Working Designs), that's pretty appropriate SNK(P).

It's the overblown vulgarity and strength of swearing, and overall try-hard to be edgy of Aksys dubs that reminds me of old ADV 90s dubs in the worse way, that I dislike. It diminishes character separate voices, and makes it feel like there's always one of their writers who jumps in when ANYONE gets mad or belligerent. This probably works well for people who think that's how everyone talks, or are use to it... but it's REALLY sloppy and and pander~y to me.

Point. But I dunno, I think they explicitly do that kind of thing for BB and especially GG because those games really are thematic throwbacks to that "edgy 90s" era in anime, and just do more to stick with the overall "tone" that fans expect of it.

But on the other hand, you look at Aksys' localization of Arcana Heart 3, and you really don't see much, if any, of that (or at least, from what I remember of playing the English version). Maybe it was because Examu insisted on a certain tone being maintained, or maybe it was because ASW/Aksys had a bit more respect to reign themselves in for the sake of working on another's property. It'd be interesting to find out the truth, but perhaps it'd mean that similar respect would be given to SNKP's product, if such were to happen.

Yeah, this is ultimately the most important thing. I definitely respect the strengths they bring to the table.

I wonder how many features like netcode and lobbies are up in the air currently. Are they at a point where someone else can have influence? It's one part I'd love to know much more about.

Considering that they haven't really talked about online features much at all, I think anything may be subject to change. Especially if a publisher pulled the trigger relatively recently, and may still want to review a few things before beginning their part of the marketing cycle.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Point. But I dunno, I think they explicitly do that kind of thing for BB and especially GG because those games really are thematic throwbacks to that "edgy 90s" era in anime, and just do more to stick with the overall "tone" that fans expect of it.

It really came to a head for me not in BB or GG (where the rock-and-roll culture surely kinda fits it), but in the Ragnarok Tactics game Aksys published for PSP/Vita. No matter how innocent or nice a character, they all seemed to speak in the same "tone" after a while, and it was annoying. Then Muramasa Vita, which sounds pretty tame / rustic through a lot of the work, but then just gets overblown at other parts, leading to a fairly harsh mood / culture whiplash that just seems weird. It's more even between characters in Muramasa, for sure (nothing has been as off to me as RagnaTacts), but it still just seems to be part of their style.

But on the other hand, you look at Aksys' localization of Arcana Heart 3, and you really don't see much, if any, of that (or at least, from what I remember of playing the English version). Maybe it was because Examu insisted on a certain tone being maintained, or maybe it was because ASW/Aksys had a bit more respect to reign themselves in for the sake of working on another's property. It'd be interesting to find out the truth, but perhaps it'd mean that similar respect would be given to SNKP's product, if such were to happen.

They definitely seem to be able to play a more balanced roll, I just dislike them at their worse, lol. I feel Xseed has the same variety of words and use they do, they just seem to know how to write it overall better, and their moods and characterization seem more nuanced.

Of course, for all I know, SNKP could be going for a different tone here... we'll see. It's something I consider each time a 90's era property gets remade / updated. The "Final Fight Streetwise" chance, haha.

Thanks for providing a good reply to this, as I know this... really isn't KoF centric at this point, and it's something I don't think most of the people who play games like this care about. It's hard to make 50+ Unique personalities and "voices" of dialogue and class, so I'm always REALLY surprised when, somehow, over ALL THE YEARS of switched presidents, developers, publishers, etc, SNK(P) somehow always sounds like they're making translation for arcade machines in the SNES era, lol. Even their engrishy Trouble Witches NEO translation, felt very SNKish.

Considering that they haven't really talked about online features much at all, I think anything may be subject to change. Especially if a publisher pulled the trigger relatively recently, and may still want to review a few things before beginning their part of the marketing cycle.

*nod* I wonder if that could change the release time too? The best playing online games are really the ones with online latency and functionality in mind, so I hope whatever they've been building off of for the game already considers these things. I keep hoping they've went the KI route of running the game at a higher internal frame rate, with "rollback" code that basically has twice as many frames to roll as normal, leading to fantastically smooth-looking and feeling netplay.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Trailers drop in the Daytime for US. Not at 12. AM at night:) IF they tease it, it'll probably be during the next SSOTD.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I suppose that's her command grab? Looks like some excessive sparkling just for that, lol.

It really does. Someone else somewhere said it seemed shonen-style villainous, too, rather than Magical-girl pretty.

Athena & Frieza Teamup incoming!

At this point, I'd be perfectly happy if they stopped with trailers for a week or 2, and instead had match videos. Not that I'm turning down teaser trailers! But we've seen so many characters, that I'd love to see what really makes some of them tick. I really want to see new hit-states and EX-use in action. And even win poses and new normals.

BadWolf

I heard a rumour that Geese is being revealed at Evo.

That started here I believe.

Iirc Loona looked into it and the source doesn't seem to have much of a track record.

He's already off since we got way (way) more than one trailer before Evo and two builds of the game will be available with more than 6 characters playable prior to Evo.

Tizoc

Iirc Loona looked into it and the source doesn't seem to have much of a track record.

He's already off since we got way (way) more than one trailer before Evo and will with more than 6 characters will have been playable before Evo as well.

At this rate, the game's release date would be revealed during EVO XP
So if it's Geese this week, then bring on the STOOOOOOOORM

Scotia

Banned

He's already off since we got way (way) more than one trailer before Evo and two builds of the game will be available with more than 6 characters playable prior to Evo.

In that case Geese hype!!

Loona

What are the chances of alternate costumes for the characters? I'd love to see Garou Terry or Eagle Tizoc.

KoD has moves that use the outfit's tail and jaws... the jaw stuff could sort of be adapted to use a beak, but not the tail, I think.
Garou Terry is the superior version and hopefully will be in, even if it's DLC.

Top Bottom