• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

BadWolf

Via Reddit:

PIqY3ZV.jpg

Me0pAjI.png

l3M6WEA.png

WmpiF3E.jpg

How did she ever pass off as a man?

It was posted a while back that over the course of time, King has become more and more comfortable with her femininity. I mean part of it is graphics sure, but she likely went from wearing men's pants (loose and not formfitting) to a more shapely, formfitting pair that women wear.

Via Reddit:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing. Stage detail I assume?

Mai preview

03K5toG.gif

naamsayin'?

Yeah. You KNOW they're taking their time getting Mai's jiggle and other animations just right.

I'm glad they're keeping it subdued and subtle like the 2D games, I feel like they tried a little too hard to cater to the DoA crowd in Maximum Impact.

Relique

Eh. Not a fan of making the game even slightly worse strictlty for the sake of online play. KOF's speed is one of the greatest things about it. The game doesn't need to be slower to emphasize the neutral either.

I don't know. Despite having a good sized KOF13 scene here for a while I still think the times have changed and you need to cater to the larger (online) audience with these fighting games.

At least in the US, besides a couple of tiny communities most of the KOF13 players are on steam online. The game is still dead as hell there but that is who is buying and playing the game right now.

If you don't have a large player pool you are gonna have to deal with lag, and KOF13's speed means that often times you are playing a guessing game even in neutral.
Floatier jumps don't necessarily make the game bad. The smaller group of offline players can adapt to the slower jump and play more grounded, but the larger online community isn't gonna be able to adapt to near unblockables due to lag.

This is coming from someone who thinks KOF13 is near perfect. But I selfishly want this game to just play well online because I know that it won't have that large a player base especially considering the backlash about the graphics. Certainly not enough to be able to constantly find close opponents or have large local scenes.

BadWolf

RonnyMaia strikes again:

This guy's work keeps popping up, but is rarely credited, to the extent I worry if I'm actually getting this from the right guy...

He/She does such good work.

King's XIV design is basically a slightly updated version of her 96 design.

Looking forward to the Vice pic.

vulva

damn, KOF14 is actually starting to look acceptable from a visuals perspective. Not quite there yet but almost.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heh, didn't notice Sylvie's eyeballs on her feet much before. Good to have a nice quality pic of her.

I really wanted to see Robert's EX Ranbu, but each vid it was performed in, it was blocked :/

Personally, my concern about jump arcs is less at their speed, more about how easy they are to confirm out of. 98's all have huge hitstun on their moves, that make solid jumping C or D strikes combo from a variety of heights. Hop and Jump hitstun seemed about the same.

In 2k2UM, weak normals generally suck at leaving enough hitstun for combos unless done really late in the jump arc, or on crouchers. So even if you "confirm" a hit, you still might get blocked and punishes. Hop stun was kinda low unless you used heavy attacks, or specific weak attacks (one of my favs being Xangfei's jumping B)

XIII was it's own unique beast, where some weaks were just as great a confirm as heavies from any jump, which made it feel as if you had more variety in your jump / hop confirms.

Slower jump arcs but with heavy or light hits higher in a jump still leading to a full combo, even with heavy ground normal follow-ups wouldn't be that different than Faster jumps that only confirm from heavies, into weak attack strings. Slower jumps that STILL require deep heavy jump blows to combo would feel like an eternity to land a good confirm, and THAT would seriously make the game feel more sluggish than average.

Mai preview

03K5toG.gif

naamsayin'?

In NGBC, I re-colored my Mai into Leona colors, thanks to her inheriting the fun aerial game from the absent Leona. I PREFICTED THE FUTURE! *Ahem*

Don't think we've seen much of Leona's back throw either, before these vids. What's the Backside version of "Apple Juice"? "Orange Soda"?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
That new stage is 100x times better in 2d, i really like the people in it though.

Already done

Also, guy does a pretty good emulating Shinkiro in his Angel pic.

Honestly the face doesn't feel proportioned, it looks to me that face and hair were copy-pasted from some Shinkiro artwork on the body.

He/she does great jobs though.

I don't know. Despite having a good sized KOF13 scene here for a while I still think the times have changed and you need to cater to the larger (online) audience with these fighting games.

Trying to compromise when it comes to KOF is pointless. It doesn't have that kind of appeal to begin with the larger online audience who'd rather stick to their game of choice that is already popular and will fall back on the "KOF is impossibly hard" narrative regardless of what is done ot accomodate them anyway as XIII has shown.

What KOF needs is great netcode, not a game that's lenient enough to make lag less of a problem. Even in games that currently have good netcode, matches where the connection quality isn't the best generally aren't worth playing either.

Het_Nkik

I think the screen shot might be teasing a rivalry between the two former NESTS members. Considering her backstory was getting neglected in favor of K' and company, there's likely some resentment.

I thought we were looking at taunts but... are you suggesting it's a pre-fight animation instead?

Relique

No prob ^_^

Yeah that certainly could be an issue but I think people should watch the Xiao Hai and Dakou KOFXIV match to see that jump pressure in XIV is still very much quick, viable and very KOF-like when the players know what they are doing.

Yeah that looks really good. A bit like a simpler kof13 but with the fresh roster there should be some good stuff to discover in it. That Iori crossup looks broken in that build hehe

I thought we were looking at taunts but... are you suggesting it's a pre-fight animation instead?

That was my first thought, but I guess showing off taunts would make sense too.

Either way, considering Sylvie's revealed backstory, there's definitely going to be some interaction. 100 Percent sure.

BadWolf

I think it's just missing the pegasuses (pegasi?) and a few more background characters for it to look awesome.

You can see them in the latest trailer, they just aren't visible in that screenshot (they are further to the sides of the stage).

TreIII

What is the likely date for this to come out, its looking better after each reveal

We don't know. Some threw around the idea of "Summer" at the very earliest. Which would be the ideal time if they wanted to make sure the game had enough breathing room.

Of course, knowing how SNKP can be at times, I'm thinking they'll probably shoot for Fall in Japan, at least.

CrazyHal

I wish that Marco Rodriguez/Khushnood Butt would have finally made an appearance in KOF. He's my favorite character in Garou.

BadWolf

SNK seems to have upgraded to 2 daily screen shots, here's the second one from today in addition to the one SAB CA posted:

"ComeGetSOME!"

Wonder what they will do with Kim's move set and combos. He was a total badass in XIII but the EX and drive systems were a huge part of that. They can't leave him as is without those systems. Hopefully they give him more specials or something.

Will he get a new Climax? The finisher from his Neomax was present in the trailer but that overall super looked more like an EX DM.

Loving Terry's classic (classic) jacket.

I wish that Marco Rodriguez/Khushnood Butt would have finally made an appearance in KOF. He's my favorite character in Garou.

He's kind of pointless to have in a game with 3 other Kyokugen characters.

Mr Karate was loosely based on him in XIII though.

Wild Fatal Fury 2 Special matches appear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoflzRK0rpo

Thanks, should help pass the day at work.

TreIII

He's kind of pointless to have in a game with 3 other Kyokugen characters.

Mr Karate was loosely based on him in XIII though.

Yeah, that's the sad thing about Marco, Jae and Dong. It'll be really hard to warrant their presences in KOF, so long as their basic gameplay/movelists are either a) maintained by vets on the roster and/or b) supplanted by new characters.

Galdelico

Yeah, that's the sad thing about Marco, Jae and Dong. It'll be really hard to warrant their presences in KOF, so long as their basic gameplay/movelists are either a) maintained by vets on the roster and/or b) supplanted by new characters.
This is true, but at the same time - since the game made its transition to 3D - it's not completely out of question... I mean, Jae and Dong could even work as Kim's alternate 'outfits', now that they could just keep an entire moveset, and only apply a different character model to it (instead of having to redraw hundreds of pixel-based frames of animation).

BadWolf

Yup, they are great in Garou but there's no reason for them to be in KOF. And that's perfectly okay since they will have a whole different set of characters to choose from for a Garou sequel. This is also why I'm not all that upset that Rock isn't in KOF. If there is too much cross over then Fatal Fury becomes pointless.

This is true, but at the same time - since the game made its transition to 3D - it's not completely out of question... I mean, Jae and Dong could even work as Kim's alternate 'outfits', now that they could just keep an entire moveset, and only apply a different character model to it (instead of having to redraw hundreds of pixel-based frames of animation).

That's just a waste though, Jae and Dong are great characters in their own right. And it wasn't just their look that made them who they are but their animation as well. Dong in particular has his own set of animation full of character, very distinct from Kim.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wait, but I love Vice too...

SNK seems to have upgraded to 2 daily screen shots, here's the second one from today in addition to the one SAB CA posted:

wryyy.gif

Wonder what they will do with Kim's move set and combos. He was a total badass in XIII but the EX and drive systems were a huge part of that. They can't leave him as is without those systems. Hopefully they give him more specials or something.

Will he get a new Climax? The finisher from his Neomax was present in the trailer but that overall super looked more like an EX DM.

Loving Terry's classic (classic) jacket.

Yup, never know what to expect from Kim, especially with all the other possible TKD people with him, and for him to make reference to. He could be like King, in that his EX's are entirely different versions of moves from other KoFs. I'm sure he'll have a ground bounce somewhere (If he could Hien-Zan. Tensho-Zan foor Ground Bounce, and then Hisho-kyaky, cancel into air Haou'Ou Kyaky... that'd be pretty funny, heh heh heh.

Or if Instant-air EX Kuchugetsuzan leads to ground bounce on it's own, thus letting you freely cancel into Hou'ou hiten kyakum popping them back up, and leaving their life in the hands of JUSTICE...

As long as he keeps that Yopuchagi command normal, to follow up on CD wallsplat, he should be one of the best at following up on the new property...

I don't even play Kim, but I'd have fun watching all this ridiculousness.

KingT

Neo Member
I feel ashamed that I doubted this game while its still in its early stages right now its coming along nicely and I am looking forward to the coming updates.

Top Bottom