• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV stream featuring Tabata and Sakaguchi to be held on April 14th

In the middle of development for Final Fantasy VII, Sakaguchi’s mother passed away, and he was driven to create a story that dealt with death in a more realistic way, giving us Aeris’s famous death scene. He wanted to make the death effect the story in a way that previous deaths in the series failed to do. He wished to show a non-sacrificial death, as that kind of Hollywood death didn’t affect the continuing character’s lives in the way her death did.

This one part is actually incorrect. Sakaguchi's mother died way before FFVII, during the development for FFIII on the Famicom (1989 or 1990). But this event did influence FFVII.

It also influenced The Spirits Within as the protagonist of that film shares her first name with Sakaguchi's mother.

MilkBeard

Sakaguchi's creative influence.... snip

Yeah, Sakaguchi's style comes off to me in the games that he is involved with. I've only played one of Mistwalker's games (The Last Story) but his hallmarks of good pacing and little bits of humor shine through, and are definitely missing in the later Final Fantasy titles.

Speaking of Aerith:

Arguably the most memorable and touching story arc in Final Fantasy VII is the growing relationship between Cloud and Aeris. Toriyama had a great hand in writing and directing their scenes together, and of course, the eventual death of Aeris.

“The idea of having Aeris die during the story had a great impact on all the dev staff,” Toriyama explained, “and personally I decided to dedicate my efforts to depicting Aeris in as appealing a way as possible, so that she would become an irreplaceable character to the player in preparation for that moment.”

“As the game’s director Yoshinori Kitase gave a lot of freedom to the dev team,” Toriyama added, “so we were entrusted with almost total license to do what we wanted. In order to test the waters and find out where that line was we deliberately went out of our way to do things that we were likely to be asked to remake.”

“We were told that having Cloud’s allies from Avalanche merging into Cloud like the party characters did was no good, but that having a homage to the film “Singing in the Rain” where a character dances around a pole was OK.”

“Ultimately it may have just been that the line kept out in-joke type references while allowing the more entertaining ideas to go in.”

The rest: http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/03/final-fantasy-anniversary-interview-toryiama-speaks/

They really are trying to pull every marketing trick. Sure Sakaguchi is known as the father of the series and the message basically is look we are back on track after last gens disappointments. Sakaguchi isn´t part of the FF creators for 15 years and it´s kind of bad to see him beeing used as a marketing tool.

There's obviously an element of marketing involved, but I also think that seeing where FF was after XIII had to bug him. What he was saying on stage at Uncovered made a lot of sense. From him saying that he views FF as his child and you sometimes wonder if that child is on the right path (obviously referencing XIII), to bringing up how he feels FF is a series that's always seeking new challenges and never standing in one place. I have no problem believing that. Regardless of whether XV turns out to be the best game in the series, simply a great game, or a terrible one, it's not going to be called unambitious. They've clearly tried to move the series forward even if it doesn't work as planned.

I really wish they would stop making excuses about the 7th generation as if it was impossible to overcome.

Yea you can acknowledge it was difficult, but at least take on more of the responsibility than just saying "too difficult, yea, wasn't our fault."

Koozek

Nomura was promoted to the FF VII Remake.

At first I thought the same, but the more I think about it the more it feels like the worse job. Nomura and Kitase can only do so much while trying to stay in the original's frame. In the end it's only a remake. As popular as FFVII and as infamous as its remake is, it won't have the same palpable impact on the industry as the original had nor will it get the possible praise and mind share FFXV could get should it be perceived as the ultimate "savior" of the franchise by the press and fans. Also FFVIIR will probably lose a lot of hype over the course of its 3-4 year release schedule. After everyone played Episode 1 the magic and excitement of finally playing the legendary remake will most likely fade away for many.

Btw, here's a pretty realistic analysis on FFXV's possible sales with a lot of good points, which suddenly made me optimistic again:

Final Fantasy XV on track to gross $600m, will reverse series decline
https://zhugeex.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-on-track-to-gross-600m-will-reverse-series-decline/

Koozek

Sakaguchi's creative influence is definitely not overrated. Since FF6 (I think?) Sakaguchi's role in FF has been mostly advisory, with the exception of him coming back to write FF9. While the story in FF6-FF8 was mostly written by other people he did have some input on it - I think it was similar to his input on Chrono Trigger. Kato was the story writer for that one, but the story he proposed was discussed thoroughly and changed by a much larger team including Horii, Kitase and Sakaguchi:
Kato: "After that, for the first year I spent hours every week in meetings at Mr Horī’s studio. I had to summarise any suggestions I’d been given or ideas I’d had about quest scenarios. I’d then take the parts that we’d worked on in the meetings back to my own company and think about how to continue those stories."

Sakaguchi: "Horii and I both work in the same field, so there were no real fights between us, but he has his own ideas about how a game should be made, and we clashed on a number of points. Those confrontations gave us the opportunity to think very deeply about the game, though, so I think it was probably a good thing."

Kitase: "When Sakaguchi officially joined the Chrono Trigger development team, the first thing he got his hands into was the scenarios. There was a scenario involving Marle, where a time paradox occurs and the Marle you end up spending the rest of the game with is actually from a different timeline." / Sakaguchi: "With time travel as our theme, you could have the same character be a totally different person if they belonged to a different timeline. That was the planners’ original idea, but I said it was no good. I said that even if the player changes history, when you return to your original time, it should be the same Marle there that you knew from before."
(Source: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196519)​
While he didn't write the full story of each game, this kind of input shouldn't be underestimated. For exmaple, ideas such as Aeris's death came from Sakaguchi (see below).
If I remember correctly, he also always came up with the main idea/setting of the games, which the rest of the team then modified and wrote a script for (I think this is still how Mistwalker does things). In your quote he mentions Kitase doing the "event scripting" for FF7, but Sakaguchi actually did write a story for it first:
The original story by Hironobu turned out to be very different than the finished product. It was a detective story that included a hot-blooded character named Detective Joe, who was chasing the people who blew up the city of Midgar. Other things survived from his story however, including the specifics of the Lifestream.

In the middle of development for Final Fantasy VII, Sakaguchi’s mother passed away, and he was driven to create a story that dealt with death in a more realistic way, giving us Aeris’s famous death scene. He wanted to make the death effect the story in a way that previous deaths in the series failed to do. He wished to show a non-sacrificial death, as that kind of Hollywood death didn’t affect the continuing character’s lives in the way her death did.

One contribution of Sakaguchi’s was his wish to show character expression on the field screen, thus creating separate character models in battle and on the field. This was of course disregarded with Final Fantasy VIII.

(Source: http://www.ultimafinalfantasy.com/ultima-final-fantasy/about-square-enix/hironobu-sakaguchi/)​
In the games where he did have a lot of input on the stories (for example, FF9 and The Last Story), the stories themselves may not have been great, but I always found them satisfying. He knows not to let things drag on for too long (i.e. pacing). I also always found that he creates a good variety of entertaining and likeable characters. Note that while Kitase's melodrama you speak of is present in FFXIII, the characters and storytelling in that game weren't received very well - I think things would have been different if Sakaguchi had still been there.

But yes, his main input in FF6-8 was his eye for talent and that he knew how to get things done (and he still does as shown by the rather short and simultaneous(!) development cycles for Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and The Last Story). I think Tabata isn't a bad replacement for the "business man" side of Sakaguchi (though I think he should keep the marketing team in check), but whether he is capable of having a similar creative influence remains to be seen.

This is a widespread misinformation. His mother died during FFIII, I think. Also Aeris' death was Nomura's idea during a phone call to Kitase and the statement about "Hollywood death" can also be attributed to Nomura and Kitase:

In early planning stages of Final Fantasy VII, Aerith was to be one of only three protagonists; herself, Cloud and Barret. During a phone call to Kitase, it was suggested that at some point in the game, one of the main characters should die, and after much discussion as to whether it should be Barret or Aerith, the producers chose Aerith. Nomura stated in a 2005 Electronic Gaming Monthly interview: "Cloud's the main character, so you can't really kill him. And Barrett... [sic] well, that's maybe too obvious." While designing Final Fantasy VII, Nomura was frustrated with the "perennial cliché where the protagonist loves someone very much and so has to sacrifice himself and die in a dramatic fashion to express that love." He found this trope appeared in both films and video games from North America and Japan, and asked "Is it right to set such an example to people?" Kitase concluded: "In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently.' These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood."

Koozek

Tabata looks so tired...like his bags got bags. I hope hes getting good rest.
Well...
See this interview:

"You'd be appalled," says Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy 15. "Just as a reference, I sleep maybe three hours each day. It's difficult every day ..."

"There is a sense that this is shortening my lifespan. But it's all worth it."

"I knew whatever lifespan I'd already shortened with Type-0 would be even further shortened with 15," Tabata says. "But after a minute or two of thinking it over, I thought, 'That shouldn't be much of a problem.'"

It's not just sleep Tabata is sacrificing, either. As a husband, and as a father to a daughter in kindergarten, he says the time he spends at home never feels like enough. He cranks into the early hours of the morning during the week in order to spend his weekends playing with his daughter or eating with his wife. His own alone time is nearly non-existent, pushed back into the hours he spends in the car on the way to work.
Final Fantasy Type-0

"In the car, I listen to music," Tabata says. "That's all I really do. In essence, that's the only place where I listen to music now."

Yet by taking on these projects — and by tackling Final Fantasy 15 specifically — Tabata feels that the reward will outweigh the work.

"I can finally kind of be on the same battlefield as some of the globally popular AAA titles, the major hits," Tabata says. "That's been one of the best feelings that's come from working on this."

There's something special about watching Final Fantasy fans get excited, too, he says. Tabata says it's worth all the struggle when a game is finally released and feedback comes pouring in. Criticism is only a temporary setback, and it inspires him want to work harder. But the real joy is finding the players who enjoy the team's work.

[...]

"I think it was at that point that I started to feel like it's OK — it's really not a big deal if I'm shortening my lifespan to bring enjoyment to others. That's when my mindset started to change."

[...]

"I put everything into all the titles that I create," Tabata says. "Final Fantasy sticks in many people's memories, so ... if I'm bringing a positive outlook to those who are playing it, if I'm delivering a positive experience — then I guess yes, it'll be great to be remembered as someone who was part of the franchise.

"It's really the drive to create the best experience. Something that surpasses everything ... That's just what Final Fantasy development is like."​

Byvar

This is a widespread misinformation. His mother died during FFIII, I think. Also Aeris' death was Nomura's idea during a phone call to Kitase and the statement about "Hollywood death" can also be attributed to Nomura and Kitase.
Interesting. It's kind of weird that the notion of it being Sakaguchi's idea exists at all, though I guess it stems from this interview:
Sakaguchi: When we were creating Final Fantasy III, my mother passed away, and ever since I have been thinking about the theme "life". Life exists in many things, and I was curious about what would happen if I attempted to analyze life in a mathematical and logical way. Maybe this was my approach in overcoming the grief I was experiencing.
(Source: www.ff7citadel.com/press/int_sakaguchi.shtml)​
This makes me believe it was probably a joint decision with Sakaguchi and other members of the team, though of course this is nothing conclusive.

Either way, my point still stands. Sakaguchi did have quite a bit of creative input on the games after VI (especially IX), and I believe the cast and the pacing of FF9 - the game he wrote - hasn't been topped in any of the later games, especially not those that were developed after he left SE. If Sakaguchi were to have the advisory role he had in FF7, 8 and 10 again for newer titles, I think that would greatly help in restoring the quality of the series.

anaron

^ Definitely.

Sakaguchi came up with the lifestream which is arguably the entire basis of VII's theme and everything in the game has to go through his approval so it's weird when people try to downplay his influence on the series.

he's not the *only* reason (obviously) but he shepherded the collaborative talent to make the games as good as they were. His management is what fostered the level of quality output.

Lots of interesting discussion in here. I'm in the camp that Gooch was best in terms of setting overall goals, shaping themes, and identifying and fostering talent. Great producer/series captain! But Kitase directed my favorite FFs, and Mistealker's stuff I find good but not great. If Gooch came back I would hope it's as a producer/co-director, not necessarily sole directing a title. A joint project with him involved could be magical though.

anaron

Lots of interesting discussion in here. I'm in the camp that Gooch was best in terms of setting overall goals, shaping themes, and identifying and fostering talent. Great producer/series captain! But Kitase directed my favorite FFs, and Mistealker's stuff I find good but not great. If Gooch came back I would hope it's as a producer/co-director, not necessarily sole directing a title. A joint project with him involved could be magical though.
Agreed!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really hope they keep Sakaguchi close. Square should work with Mistwalker.

Is it too much to hope Sakaguchi reutrns to SE and creates some new games? Or even jave Mistwalker games find a home on consoles again via SE publishing?

It would be almost as good as Kojima becoming 2nd Party to Sony.

Lost Odyssey was so underappreciated.

anaron

Is it too much to hope Sakaguchi reutrns to SE and creates some new games? Or even jave Mistwalker games find a home on consoles again via SE publishing?

It would be almost as good as Kojima becoming 2nd Party to Sony.

Lost Odyssey was so underappreciated.

I just want LO and Blue Dragon on steam first. :p

I do not envy that man. No wonder the poor guy is done with directing mainline FF games after FFXV; the stress and lack of sleep whilst having to lead such a massive project must be horrendous. With conditions like those, Naoki Yoshida similarly reiterating similar experiences with directing FFXIV, it is no wonder the likes of Matsuno leaving Square due to health reasons in the middle of FFXII's development, the original director of FFXIV having a nervous breakdown on stage, and Kitase no longer wanting to direct FF games there.

The working conditions working at Square Enix Japan just sounds horrible. There's obviously something very wrong if it's effecting so many game directors there. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Hiroyuki Ito similarly is done with directing FF games and just wants to design games here and there, I bet XII took it out of him too if it effected his colleagues similarly. I'd take a FFXVI directed by a new guy but design lead by Ito.

Remember all the games Sakaguchi didn't work on in the PS1 and PS2 era? Although he didn't direct these games, their mere existence is still due to him fostering talents, assembling the right teams and allowing them to make the games they wanted to make.

h7DfDVqh.png

Without him none of these games would have been made. Compare that to, say, Shinji Hashimoto's track record as an executive producer.

Famassu

I do not envy that man. No wonder the poor guy is done with directing mainline FF games after FFXV; the stress and lack of sleep whilst having to lead such a massive project must be horrendous. With conditions like those, Naoki Yoshida similarly reiterating similar experiences with directing FFXIV, it is no wonder the likes of Matsuno leaving Square due to health reasons in the middle of FFXII's development, the original director of FFXIV having a nervous breakdown on stage, and Kitase no longer wanting to direct FF games there.

The working conditions working at Square Enix Japan just sounds horrible. There's obviously something very wrong if it's effecting so many game directors there. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Hiroyuki Ito similarly is done with directing FF games and just wants to design games here and there, I bet XII took it out of him too if it effected his colleagues similarly. I'd take a FFXVI directed by a new guy but design lead by Ito.
To be fair, that's the case with most/a lot of (big) companies in Japan, even outside the gaming industry, and crazy overtime by game developers is common outside Japan and isn't limited to just big publishers. Indies can push themselves to work insane hours without any higher-ups forcing them to.

georly

Cf_9KF9VIAEFYtV.jpg:large

Sakaguchi just dropped a bomb saying there is another unannounced FFXV smatphone app.

Is mistwalker developing the smartphone games?

Also, genuine question - I didn't get it at the ff event, I don't get it here - why are they touting sakaguchi around? Is he involved in the game in any way or is it just to say "See fans, the father of final fantasy is giving his blessing, so it must be good"?

Myze

I say bring back Sakaguchi and Matsuno (Mistwalker) as Producer/Director to collaborate with Square-Enix on a Console sequel (or remake) to Final Fantasy Tactics (none of that FFTA shit). While this will probably never happen, it's what I want to see if Mistwalker ever did decide to team up with Squenix.

I GUESS having Sakaguchi come back to advise/Produce/etc. on a new mainline FF would be pretty great as well. ;)

raven777

The show is over. Nothing much in terms of actual new information, other than the existence of another FFXV phone app that we don't know. Also next ATR being next Thursday.

But it was fun watching drunk Sakaguchi.

CgAMeRaUsAAEs3B.jpg

Top Bottom