• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV trailer #1, #2

It was one of the first ones one played, and the final few matches I'm arcade mode is legendary, but I always preferred 96 as my favorite pre-98 KOF. I can't get over the strangely broad shouldered portraits/in game artwork.

They are... Shun'ei is referred to as the main character.

Eww, the new guy is typical shoen anime protag. Lemme guess, over powered, not caring bad attitude personality. Say things are annoying all the time.

Either way hope we get a lot of Ikari warriors team in the story, they are always cool.

Oh and am I the only one who will miss the NEO MAX's from XIII. Those things were badass and perfectly dramatic, especially cancelling into them. Sogood.gif

damn now I googled KoF13... game is soo pretty. Too bad I left my PS3 in America.

Gren

It was one of the first ones one played, and the final few matches I'm arcade mode is legendary, but I always preferred 96 as my favorite pre-98 KOF. I can't get over the strangely broad shouldered portraits/in game artwork.

At least in terms of aesthetics, '96 had what the previous games did best (colorful, vibrant backgrounds full of life & animation), as well as the revamped, more natural/realistic character animations (i.e. Ryo's Hien Shippu, Andy's DP) that would go on to give it its own distinct look from FF & AOF.

BadWolf

Oh and am I the only one who will miss the NEO MAX's from XIII. Those things were badass and perfectly dramatic, especially cancelling into them. Sogood.gif

They are still in though?

They have just been renamed to Climax DMs, you can still cancel into them as well.

Doesn't that technically describe at least Kyo and K too anyways? Bad attitude for Ash is arguable too I guess.

Definitely K'. Kyo is mostly characterized as kinda cocky, lazy when it comes to school/training and baffled by Iori's obsession with him. Other than that he's portrayed as enjoying the fighting.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Eww, the new guy is typical shoen anime protag. Lemme guess

We don't know yet. But at least he's most likely Chinese, so that's somewhat unique for a Japanese main protag.

His earphones and shoulder-draped jacket also stand out among KoF heroes. Much like Kyo he looks like the current generation will probably like him, which is... what a protagonist or main story character is suppose to do.

What I'm most glad for right now is that he's not an obvious Flame User. There's probably flame or such to his attacks, but the "Demon" side in his Phantom Limb-style ability is more akin to something like Bayonetta, or Tung's spiritual manifestations. He also shows some sort of duality with the blended colors, which is more like K' and Kula combined.

Much like Ash grew and shifted in power as his saga went on, I look forward to seeing what might happen with him. Heck, am I the only one that thought his DM in trailer was fairly Rock Howard-like?

Huh, here I was thinking Kim was into them freaky girls.

I mean, if Kim has been around that woman for ages, as his master taught him... I could see his taste strongly shifting to, or away from a person like her.

I could see her playful, innuendo-filled way of acting being the impetus that set Kim on his fanatical bend for "JUSTICE!" in the first place...

Mister Wolf

Team Latin America has three Afro-Latinos. But there's no African-Americans, Afro-Caribbean, native African or other black people, which is a damn shame. They could at least have brought back either Heavy D, Lucky Glauber, or Seth, or made Diana a playable character.

Kukri and the other guy from Official Invitation seem to be from South/South East Asia. Kukri is a Nepalese word, and the masked guy doesn't seem to be Chinese, Japanese or Korean.

Kim's master looks black to me.

KiteGr

Is Shen Woo not going to be in this one?

I've liked him the most in the last 3 kof games.
Nether he, nor the rest of team Elisabeth (including Elisabeth). They wher my favorite team in the most recent games.

Other favorites include Vanesa and Shingo, that if the recent leak is true, they'll be locked behind a paywall.

Definitely K'. Kyo is mostly characterized as kinda cocky, lazy when it comes to school/training and baffled by Iori's obsession with him. Other than that he's portrayed as enjoying the fighting.
K' is even more uncaring than a typical shounen lead though. The world can burn around him and he's still like, whatever.

Village

K' is even more uncaring than a typical shounen lead though. The world can burn around him and he's still like, whatever.
K is litterally shadow the hedgehog, i love both those characters, but im not going to pretend here.

Just with the self righteousness and jotaro parts ripped off.

Heck there story indications that k actually does care

KiteGr

The best protagonist would be Shingo.
He sucks, but if you think about it, he could easily follow the "zero to hero" archetype. He Really did start from zero, and the odds are always against him.
It's nice to see him going as far as learning kyo's moves, even without the flames.

Maligna

Banned
He sucks, but if you think about it, he could easily follow the "zero to hero" archetype. He Really did start from zero, and the odds are always against him.
It's nice to see him going as far as learning kyo's moves, even without the flames.

Shingo is the absolute best. I love how he doesn't get a sound effect on his DM moves and has to make it himself. "Bachiiiing"

Also how in the later games he would occasionally get a spark to happen on some of his special moves to show how far he had come in his training.

Zerojul

Shingo is the absolute best. I love how he doesn't get a sound effect on his DM moves and has to make it himself. "Bachiiiing"

Also how in the later games he would occasionally get a spark to happen on some of his special moves to show how far he had come in his training.
Agreed on all accounts. Shingo needs to come back. It's been long enough.

Zerojul

Just wondering how they could modernize his design.
Right... he should be out of school/college by now. Not that it matters that much to other characters in fighting game franchises anyway.
He's supposed to be your "average guy" kind of character, so I find it difficult to extrapolate what he could look like as a grown-up. He would definitely keep Kyo's gloves though, I guess.

Right... he should be out of school/college by now. Not that it matters that much to other characters in fighting game franchises anyway.
He's supposed to be your "average guy" kind of character, so I find it difficult to extrapolate what he could look like as a grown-up. He would definitely keep Kyo's gloves though, I guess.
KOF characters don't age.

cireza

KOF97 is such an amazing game. I always considered it better than 98.
Have it on Saturn and really like it.

I am not too sure about the musics in this game. There ARE some great musics, but I just never get to listen to them. Is there anything particular to do to have the music actually played during the fights ?

Loona

Just wondering how they could modernize his design.

If you leave out the uniform from his design, the distinctive parts of his look are his hair/headband, his tennis shoes, the gloves (since 98), and in his 99 intro animation he also had a distinction jacket on top of his uniform - that's something they could work off of.
Maybe play a bit with his training under Saishyu and make him wear traditional-looking garb, only without the Kusanagi eclipse.

Have it on Saturn and really like it.

I am not too sure about the musics in this game. There ARE some great musics, but I just never get to listen to them. Is there anything particular to do to have the music actually played during the fights ?

In 97 most stages use environmental sounds, but some characters and teams have specific music - IIRC that's Shingo, Mary, Billy, Yamazaki and the New Face Team.

smik

Pro tip for SNK

please post all future KOF content in 60fps, especially streamed content, the quality also isnt the best and it shows

KOF is looking alot better by each month though, only 4 months left to go!

Maligna

Banned
Maybe play a bit with his training under Saishyu and make him wear traditional-looking garb, only without the Kusanagi eclipse.

I like that idea actually! Just give him a blue version of Saishyu's outfit. But with tennis shoes and a headband.

OmegaDL50

Seems a lot of the animations are similar to KOFXIII

I wonder if they reused the 3D models that were turned into sprites in XI / XIII as a baseline for KOF XIV's development.

It would be a interesting way to reuse assets and saving some development cost.

It was nice of him to zoom in so we could see her face better.

HAH

BadWolf

Seems a lot of the animations are similar to KOFXIII

I wonder if they reused the 3D models that were turned into sprites in XI / XIII as a baseline for KOF XIV's development.

It would be a interesting way to reuse assets and saving some development cost.

Pretty sure the animation was done from scratch.

The moves may be the same but the actual animation/poses aren't if you look at them side by side.

OmegaDL50

Pretty sure the animation was done from scratch.

The moves may be the same but the actual animation/poses aren't if you look at them side by side.

Hmm that maybe so, but this video showing a beta footage compared with animation timing of KOFXIII for animations in terms is awfully close - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNkGxgMkcBE

There are specific flourishes they added to the 2D though. Like hand drawn facial animations for more emotive response, but in terms of gameplay it seems to be almost spot on nearly 1:1 in terms of speed.

Cryxok

Yup, the timing of the animation is near identical to the classic games which is what makes XIV feel like the 2D entries so much. Timing aside, the animation/poses aren't the same though.

Dunno about that. Sure, some are different, like Kyo's. But XIV Ryo looks waaay too similar to XIII Ryo. I do think there was at least some recycling here and there.
kofxivpic3_040416-660x371.jpg

X4VYjjU.png

26163469855_affed05a26_b.jpg

Nkkinbc.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why are characters announced after Angel playable before she is?

This is so unfair. I demand a recount.

Considering Angel's Unchained Circle attack style is some of the oddest in fighters as far as how it works, and pretty unique to XIV in general, she's probably just a lot of work to get working right, and even more a pain to balance.

The good thing on this front is that Nelson is somewhat similar, in that he has few "special" moves, and the meat of what he does is through a 3-tiered command move system that allows him to mix and shift his attacks from weak, medium, and strong strikes, and built in movement options.

I like how one of the guys on the stream yesterday, upon seeing Nelson's attacks, instantly mentioned "Gai Tendo!". Seems spot on.

It's good to see that the new cast can fill in spaces for characters you might not even expect. Nelson references Gai way more than I"d have expected (everyone expected Vanessa), and Luong is actually much more Yamazaki-like with her 3 angle blade-like kicks, plus being able to cancel out of them.

A large amount of characters have pretty conservative move list, and SNK DOES seem to be working on variations of the same specials, more than just bloating up on unique special moves. It's ironic that Clark probably has one of the longest movelist now (He got back the mount tackle + It's variations, but still kept the step attack he earned in XII/XIII, woOT! And even has his kick command normal back now), when he was probably one of the weakest movelist in the past 2 games.

Top Bottom