• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

UFRA said:
Ok, 12 hours later and my videos should be working by now...
Downhill skiing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9o2M9lUY_U

The ski hill is so fun to drive cars down you guys have to try it, but use an ordinary car, not a 4WD truck or anything. The more you slide around the more challenging and fun it is like with the car I chose.

It's kinda hard to see in the video, but there's orange poles up on the ski hill and I was actually trying to do slalom skiing. :D
:lol This looked way too fun so I gave it a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OcfS8Mw37Q

I made the mistake of using the DLC Chevalier Classic, which is basically a muscle car which handles almost as badly as the Hovercraft :lol (which I also tried on the slope - with horrific consequences). I made the course in about 2 minutes 7 secs, after spinning out 2 or 3 times :) Started out well though.

After the current contest finishes we should definitely have a more theme-specific one :D

I updated the tweak guide a little. Be sure to check it out if you want to get a better or smoother framerate out of the PC version. Its linked in the op.

Hawkian said:
Way to go, Artadius. I have to wait til monday :(

BOLO patch users- can you set it up so you have unlimited tethers but no other advantages, and play through the game/story/missions as normal?

You can use as many, or as few, tweaks as you like. I usually just have unlimited rope enabled and then play about with the other settings when I'm just messing about. Its an awesome little tool.

Artadius

doubt anyone here in this topic cares too much.... you should be playing yourself... but if you want to watch a gaffer's stream, I'm doing so at

http://www.xfire.com/live_video/artadius/

Warning, gameplay is very anal retentive. I am meticulously 100%'ing stuff as I go and not doing too many missions at the moment. I do have the Machine Gun fully upgraded as well as the Razorback unlocked :D

UFRA

Mechanical Snowman said:
After the current contest finishes we should definitely have a more theme-specific one :D

That's a good idea! Nice ski run too. :lol

CloakedPuppet said:
I'm quoting this from a few pages back but, yeah, that's been happening to me as well. Sometimes happens in the pause screen as well.

Good to know it's not just me.

Although this game is super fun it does have a few bugs no doubt. Already had it freeze on me like 3-4 times now. PS3 version.

I really love these you tube vids. Impulse TV (and Steam) really needs get on board. Being able to record and access videos in-game through an overlay would be invaluable and fun.

The Interrobanger said:
If you die during a mission, it will bring you back to the last checkpoint.
If you die during any other period, you will be brought back to a safehouse.

If you manually saved the game, you will have to manually load that save if you want to be brought back to the same place.

Manually loading the save still brought me back to the safehouse :( Believe me I tried every way to save but it just doesn't work right. It is fine, I just wanted to be able to stunt of the mile high club over and over to perfect my Goldeneye moment.

It seems like the consensus is that this game is good. I've been wondering what to play next since I'm pretty much finished with FFXIII and need to hurry in finishing Bioshock 2 since it's borrowed. I'm a sucker for sandbox games, so I'm downloading the demo on the 360. I hope it's fun.

For people who have it, is the story worth anything or is it just about seeing how much crazy stuff you can do?

Wiggum2007

Creepy deserted ski slope is creepy.

got2bekidding said:
For people who have it, is the story worth anything or is it just about seeing how much crazy stuff you can do?

There's not a whole lot there as far as story goes, faction missions don't really add much to the overall story and there are only 7 total Agency missions to progress the storyline. Some people will tell you the story is pure shit and you might as well skip the cutscenes. But not only is the game's story pure wonderful B-grade cheesiness, it is also very aware of this fact, something lots of people don't seem to pick up on. And for that, I love it.

Weenerz

Banned
got2bekidding said:
It seems like the consensus is that this game is good. I've been wondering what to play next since I'm pretty much finished with FFXIII and need to hurry in finishing Bioshock 2 since it's borrowed. I'm a sucker for sandbox games, so I'm downloading the demo on the 360. I hope it's fun.

The story itself is pretty forgettable, but the gameplay is pretty ace.

Drewsky

got2bekidding said:

Story can be hilarious, because the voice acting is so terrible. It actually makes it more entertaining though. The gameplay is worth playing for alone though, don't even worry about the story.

Wiggum2007 said:
There's not a whole lot there as far as story goes, faction missions don't really add much to the overall story and there are only 7 total Agency missions to progress the storyline. Some people will tell you the story is pure shit and you might as well skip the cutscenes. But not only is the game's story pure wonderful B-grade cheesiness, it is also very aware of this fact, something lots of people don't seem to pick up on. And for that, I love it.
Cheesiness is acceptable and can definitely be enjoyable.

Weenerz said:
The story itself is pretty forgettable, but the gameplay is pretty ace.
Yeah, gameplay looks great. I remember seeing the infamous gif of the guy flying up on that pressurized canister. Also while the demo is dling, I've been watching Artadius' stream a little bit. It seems like the sound effects are not too shabby either. And holy shit at the size of map.

edit: download complete! :D

Drewsky said:
Story can be hilarious, because the voice acting is so terrible. It actually makes it more entertaining though. The gameplay is worth playing for alone though, don't even worry about the story.
Thanks for your reply, too. I don't want you to think I ignored your effort to provide me with information. :p

After playing the demo, which was fun by the way, I'm left wondering if anyone has tethered two passing cars together? I suck at the controls too much right now to be able to do anything remotely cool.:lol

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
moop2000 said:
getting 100% at places is tough

Make sure you use the little bar icons on the top left of your mini map when your looking for upgrades.

The more bars the closer you are to a upgrade location.

Drewsky

EL Beefo said:
I ignore them in every open world game I play. I have done a few of the base jumping ones though.
Same, I hate racing in any game really, so I definitely ignore them in games like this, GTA, etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Drewsky said:
Same, I hate racing in any game really, so I definitely ignore them in games like this, GTA, etc.

I don't know why open world games include them. An integral part of any engine worth its salt in this genre is that using vehicles sometimes ends in hilarious out of control destructive chaos. As a result they don't exactly handle like Gran Turismo.

Deacan said:
Make sure you use the little bar icons on the top left of your mini map when your looking for upgrades.

The more bars the closer you are to a upgrade location.

I've been doing that but the indicator on what is destroyable is kinda shitty

Artadius

moop2000 said:
I've been doing that but the indicator on what is destroyable is kinda shitty

That might be part of your problem. There indicator only works for the chests of upgrades/cash. Destructibles you have to find on your own. The two things that easy to miss are Generators that are usually near broadcast towers (which you might be tempted to destroy from a long range and forget to check near it) and the small transformers (by far the easiest things to miss).

Also don't forget sometimes the area where you can find destructibles and chests can sometimes be pretty wide and you might have to travel a ways away from the icon on the map. Look for buildings that are nearby. You know you're still within range if you can see the settlement's % complete still at the bottom of your radar.

Even after 20 hours (combined full game and demo time) I'm still amazed by how scale works in this game. You can go from ground level in a small village to the highest point without loading times or any awkward transition.

I can only hope that Just Cause 3 involves Rico waking up in the future after being frozen where he has access to a jetpack and they allow a transition from ground level to orbit.

Burger

Linkzg said:
I can only hope that Just Cause 3 involves Rico waking up in the future after being frozen where he has access to a jetpack and they allow a transition from ground level to orbit.

I just got a boner.

sdornan said:
Is anyone else completely ignoring the race challenges?

It's not even fair to call them races. The AI for drivers/pilots is so lacking it can't even handle normal driving that well :lol let alone actual races.

And yeah, I wish there was a way you could hide them on the map. They are like an infection.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Holy shit. I just stumbled across the Mile High Club, I did not expect that there would a be a
night club
hanging from those balloons. I like that there's a lot of cool little secret places like that and the Lost island.

Oh yeah. I pulled off a pretty nice jump off a cliff with a bike. I think my favorite thing to do so far is to try and drive vehicles off the side of a mountain. It also has a pretty epic tumble at the end.

Thanks for the replies earlier guys, seeing as I have a fairly meaty PC and the 360 controller works really well I think I'll get the PC version (sounds like it's a good port).

Also all the videos above just look like plain fun, nice surprise for me this, I quite enjoyed JC1, then never really got caught up in JC2.

I think I was turned a bit sour from Mercenaries which I overhyped myself with.

Snuggler said:
Holy shit. I just stumbled across the Mile High Club, I did not expect that there would a be a
night club
hanging from those balloons. I like that there's a lot of cool little secret places like that and the Lost island.

Oh yeah. I pulled off a pretty nice jump off a cliff with a bike. I think my favorite thing to do so far is to try and drive vehicles off the side of a mountain. It also has a pretty epic tumble at the end.

LMAO survival of that followed by "too close for comfort" line :lol

Also for the people posting videos are some of you using the PS3 youtube feature or just recording from PC version?

moojito

got2bekidding said:
After playing the demo, which was fun by the way, I'm left wondering if anyone has tethered two passing cars together? I suck at the controls too much right now to be able to do anything remotely cool.:lol

Not that, but I did tether a bad guy to a nearby gas cannister and then shot it - causing it to fly up into the air, taking the guy with it. It was pretty cool! :D

Audioboxer87 said:
LMAO survival of that followed by "too close for comfort" line :lol

Also for the people posting videos are some of you using the PS3 youtube feature or just recording from PC version?
:lol :lol I love this game.

You can usually tell if they're PS3 uploads by looking at the tags. PS3 automatically adds the tags: Just Cause 2, Avalanche Studios, User video. Also, people recording from a PC will most likely have videos in 720 or even 1080p, PS3 only records at 640x360.

About to head back to Panau, I racked up about 11 hours yesterday (with only about 6 hours logged, I'm not saving the game after I spend 400,000 on the black market just to have some fun).

One of my few gripes so far is that you have to BUY the Limited Edition version Parachute every time you 1. Die, 2. Complete / Start a mission, 3. Reload the game. :( I wouldn't mind too much but it costs 5000, pretty cheap, but with the amount you have to buy it just to keep it on isn't worth how cool it looks. I really hope this gets fixed.

Ploid 3.0

darkwings said:
I think rockstar should take note. The open world of Panau in JC2 offer more freedom than any GTA game so far.

RS is too high on star power to get away from their new focus on creating a controlled artistic story to add so much fun to GTA. It's too late for them, their physics engine, and realistic aim will most likely carry on to the next. I doubt they have the tech to create a world this awesome even though they made San Andreas. Saints Row 3 might have a better chance. I believe the destructibility in that game will be up there with Red Faction G. There was already some experimenting in SR2.

sdornan

Ploid 3.0 said:
RS is too high on star power to get away from their new focus on creating a controlled artistic story to add so much fun to GTA. It's too late for them, their physics engine, and realistic aim will most likely carry on to the next. I doubt they have the tech to create a world this awesome even though they made San Andreas. Saints Row 3 might have a better chance. I believe the destructibility in that game will be up there with Red Faction G. There was already some experimenting in SR2.
Red Dead Redemption is going to be fantastic, but its focus is going to be completely different.

Pandoracell said:
Is there anything in the way of more crazy vehicles/weaponry that you guys have found?
Haven't found any new weapons yet, but I did find out that if you drive up to one of your gang members in any vehicle with a gun turret, the guy will man it!

I am so going on a rampage with an APC and my Repaahs.

Snowballo

Is there a way to figure out what do i need to reach 100% in one location?
I'm stuck for 3 hours into an island.
The military island with the "U" shape you see in the exact middle of the map.
I'm at 98% but cannot reach 100%!!!

Going crazy. I tried walkin, choppering, ... nothing.
Need help!

mjc

I'm having tons of fun with this game but running out of ammo makes me want to throw my TV through the window.

Snowballo said:
Is there a way to figure out what do i need to reach 100% in one location?
I'm stuck for 3 hours into an island.
The military island with the "U" shape you see in the exact middle of the map.
I'm at 98% but cannot reach 100%!!!

Going crazy. I tried walkin, choppering, ... nothing.
Need help!
That took me about 1 / 2 hours to completely clear out. I had 98% too, you could try what I did, by chance you might have missed it too:

Grab the Apache somewhere at the top of the ring shape, then go to the bottom right tiny bit that's in a boomerang shape on the map. Just RAIN fire with your helicopter shooting the rockets and miniguns simultaneously at everything on that section.

I still don't know what I missed, but whatever it was, this blew it up, so it's worth a try.

OR; have you blown up the pipe yet by entering the key combination? That's hidden away a bit at the top, if you haven't done that then this is definitely what you're missing.

Snowballo

Mechanical Snowman said:
That took me about 1 / 2 hours to completely clear out. I had 98% too, you could try what I did, by chance you might have missed it too:

Grab the Apache somewhere at the top of the ring shape, then go to the bottom right tiny bit that's in a boomerang shape on the map. Just RAIN fire with your helicopter shooting the rockets and miniguns simultaneously at everything on that section.

I still don't know what I missed, but whatever it was, this blew it up, so it's worth a try.

OR; have you blown up the pipe yet by entering the key combination? That's hidden away a bit at the top, if you haven't done that then this is definitely what you're missing.

Thanks Snow.

The Code: i did it.
Now I'm going to try the first hint.
I'll let you know
:*

Snowballo

Mechanical Snowman said:

Don't get where u mean to go.
Let's look at the U island as it is on the map.
Let's use the 1 to 12 clock points.
Where 6 is south, 12 is north, 9 is west, 3 is east.
Where is the place i have to bomb? 4/5?

Harteex

Snowballo said:
Thanks Snow.

The Code: i did it.
Now I'm going to try the first hint.
I'll let you know
:*

Some other hints, fly / run around the area and look at the signal strength indicator, it will help you find any items you've missed.

Also, as some other people have suggested before, one easy thing to miss is that next to the broadcast towers, there are generators.

Mrbob

I see other people have 100% OCD like I do with areas in this game. :lol

I love infiltrating massive military bases and finishing them off. I don't mind hunting for items either. In some ways looking for items is like hunting for Crackdown Orbs.

It is going to take me a long time to finish this game! Strolling through it slowly taking control of each part of the map before I move on!

Snowballo

Harteex said:
Some other hints, fly / run around the area and look at the signal strength indicator, it will help you find any items you've missed.

Also, as some other people have suggested before, one easy thing to miss is that next to the broadcast towers, there are generators.

You're my fucking hero.
Get it using the signal!!!
Now it makes sense.
There's a way not to look for a piece of stuff inch by inch!!

one more thing, what is the advantage getting a place at 100%?
Thanks again!

Top Bottom