• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

IronFistedChampion said:
For now, I was just looking to concentrate on a single role for each character rather than multiple. Also, what about the rest of the characters?

Rapid paradigm shifting is practically mandatory after chapter 9 so its not really a good idea just to concentrate on one role.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I like how in ch.12 the game throws these
large and harder enemies I avoided at Gran Pulse like the Juggernaut and Adamanchelid but by now they go down easily
. Feels good man.

Rpgmonkey

IronFistedChampion said:
Can you guys tell me what is the best ability (role?) to develop for each character (Commando, Ravager, etc)?

It's kinda based on your preferences, but this is kinda what I thought they excelled at and were the most well-rounded in:

Lightning - Commando
Snow - Sentinel and Commando
Vanille - Medic and Saboteur
Sazh - Synergist
Hope - Medic and Ravager
Fang - Commando and Saboteur

I felt Lightning only got really great at being a Commando, but she makes up for it by being extremely versatile, arguably moreso than everyone else. Her HP maxes out at a "respectable" 20,000, she has high but balanced Strength and Magic stats, and she's about "mid-tier" in every role besides Commando.

I felt Sazh only got really great at being a Synergist, but he has the second highest HP of the group, and is about low or mid-tier in all his other roles.

Of course, you're probably going to want to mix things up a bit. Personally I leveled up one role at a time. First the one I thought they were best in, then the other two, switching when I reached the level cap for a role. When I learned the extra roles I waited until I mastered the original three, then moved on to those.

Rpgmonkey said:
It's kinda based on your preferences, but this is kinda what I thought they excelled at and were the most well-rounded in:

Lightning - Commando Or Ravager
Hope - Medic and Ravager
Fang - Commando and Saboteur

I ended up having Lightning serve as a Ravager since those magic elemental skills were excellent (and also I like it when my characters use flashy moves), which seemed to work well with Lightning and Hope as Ravagers, and Fang as a Commando, for the Relentless Assault paradigm which I probably used 75% of the game and used for every boss.

Alex said:
It would've been better, but it'd still have been a waste.

Just revert it to X-2.

X-2 did it right. No AI at all, better job and ability variety, player required input, better subsystems, better challenge.

XIII is even speedier and super pretty and effective at what it does do, but it's really a wash, you really don't have much of a place outside of swapping paradigms based around boring concepts that you have no control over.

Bingo.

I would rather just manually control my party with no AI period. That's why VI-X had the best battle systems in the series. And it just sucks, as much as I like XIII, that I'm not getting my traditional Final Fantasy experience in the FNC, as XIII was supposed to be that, but clearly, it didn't turn out that way.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
FuttBuck said:
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but my frustration with this chapter weeds out all of the fun I've had with the game so far, it feels like a chore to finish the game.

Himuro said:
Well, I had more fun grinding + doing missions today than I have had the whole game.

*smh*

Is it so hard to enjoy both linear & non-linear design in a game?
It has to be only one or another with some it seems.

Kettch

Just finished the game's story today, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely my favorite FF game since VIII. Chapter 11 was amazing, and I'll head back now to have more fun. I only have two real complaints about the game.

First is the inability to switch the character you control. It wouldn't really be necessary except for the terrible gimmick of getting a game over with only one of your characters dying. I can't believe anyone could have thought that was a good idea. I can't think of any way that switching characters would hurt the game play, and it seems like such a simple thing to implement. Maybe they wanted to force players to be more defensive or something, but there had to be better ways to do that. The battle system in general is easily one of the most fun I've played though, and far better than anything else in the FF series. I didn't think all that much of it until the Snow/Hope section that forced you to do something other than attack-attack-attack, but from then on it was just great.

And my second issue was the absolutely horrible ending theme song, that just sucked any possible magic out of the game's ending. I looked up the Japanese version just now, and while it's nothing spectacular either, it's still leagues better than that crap. The game had such beautiful vocal songs all throughout too (the one theme that's repeated throughout the game, and also the one at the waterfall cavern). I really don't understand how they managed to screw that up so badly.

Anyway, I'll get back to some missions now. Random kill quests have never been so fun.

Kettch, you must have never played a Shin Megami Tensei game. Having the leader die = game over is really not as bad as you make it out to be. God I love this game's gameplay. The idea is that without a leader you can't properly issue commands. This actually makes sense.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Mr. Wonderful said:
Bingo.

I would rather just manually control my party with no AI period. That's why VI-X had the best battle systems in the series. And it just sucks, as much as I like XIII, that I'm not getting my traditional Final Fantasy experience in the FNC, as XIII was supposed to be that, but clearly, it didn't turn out that way.

Wrong. For that to have worked, you would needed to go back to stopping time to apply each individual action, which would have completely destroyed the flow of the battles.

One of the best things about this game is that it isn't a traditional by the numbers FF game.

Fuu

Raw64life said:
Thanks.

Exactly when is the next time you can go back after leaving the area?
There will be a portal at the start of chapter 13 and you'll also be able to go back after you beat the game.

lupin23rd

Neil said:
Just completed the game. Seems like I'm never going to get the achievement for completing chapter 12. I'm absolutely furious.

I read on another forum there is no trophy for chapter 12. I just started that one myself so not sure.

Kettch

Kettch, you must have never played a Shin Megami Tensei game. Having the leader die = game over is really not as bad as you make it out to be. God I love this game's gameplay.

Wanting to play one of the low-HP characters and getting randomly killed in seconds when my Sentinel screwed up for a moment was not fun at all. I just don't see any reason for it. High penalties for a KO would be fine, no revive until 30 seconds have passed or something. But a simple game over is just overkill.

Other than that I loved the battle system as well though.

Kettch said:
Wanting to play one of the low-HP characters and getting randomly killed in seconds when my Sentinel screwed up for a moment was not fun at all. I just don't see any reason for it. High penalties for a KO would be fine, no revive until 30 seconds have passed or something. But a simple game over is just overkill.

Other than that I loved the battle system as well though.
How else would you die if your leader didn't die? The game would be cheesy easy.

Kettch

How else would you die if your leader didn't die? The game would be cheesy easy.

Like I said, I'd be fine with higher penalties for KOs. Even removing revives entirely would be fine with me. I just don't like losing with 2 of my characters still standing.

Magnus

ZephyrFate said:

It's an arbitrary and annoying rule, especially when you don't get the necessary tools at all times to make sure you prioritize the protection of your leader.

I just cleared what I think (and hope) is the end of Chapter 11, third try.
Barthandelus, Revisited
, which is good, because if I had to listen to this overdone choir/gospel-chanting battle theme drone on any longer, I'd kill myself.

That was probably the best fight in the game so far, pretty stressful and fast-paced. Enemy Dispelgas are annoying. :lol

Magnus said:
It's an arbitrary and annoying rule, especially when you don't get the necessary tools at all times to make sure you prioritize the protection of your leader.

I just cleared what I think (and hope) is the end of Chapter 11, third try.
Barthandelus, Revisited

That was probably the best fight in the game so far, pretty stressful and fast-paced. Enemy Dispelgas are annoying. :lol
No, it's not. It actually adds strategy because you have to keep an eye on one character over the others -- it adds tension and stress, which is what battles should do. I honestly do not have a single problem with having leader death = game over. I've gotten used it to it in SMT, and those games have fantastic battle systems.

Rpgmonkey

Dedication Through Light said:
I ended up having Lightning serve as a Ravager since those magic elemental skills were excellent (and also I like it when my characters use flashy moves), which seemed to work well with Lightning and Hope as Ravagers, and Fang as a Commando, for the Relentless Assault paradigm which I probably used 75% of the game and used for every boss.

Oh yeah, she's a decent good ravager, but besides Thunder she only gets as high as the second-tier spells, which takes her down a notch in comparison to Hope and even Vanille.

She's about on the same level as Fang there.

FTWer said:
Is it so hard to enjoy both linear & non-linear design in a game?

It is when it's blended somewhat well and done in a more progressive fashion.

Going from hours of straight corridors with a heavily repeated format to hours of various things to do in an instant isn't good blending. XIII falls flat at something many previous FFs did somewhat well, and that's easing you into free exploration. You don't just get an airship and bam, you can go everywhere and explore. You get stuff like boats, canoes, chocobos, even a school, as you go through the game.

ZephyrFate said:

There are several encounters and enemies fully capable of KO'ing your entire party. The ones that can't do that usually can't even KO your leader in the first place.

The leader KO=Game Over adds little to the game and there's not really any logic behind it besides lazily added difficulty. I'd like to think my other party members are humans, not demons summoned by the leader or Pokemon that disappear or become lost without me to guide them. The leader character is even an individual person and not some kind of avatar of myself like in Persona or something, so it makes even less sense. If I get KO'd, they should be able to use Raise or a Phoenix Down like they can on A.I. people.

It's fine if you don't have problems with it, but for many people it doesn't add anything interesting to the game.

Magnus

ZephyrFate said:
No, it's not. It actually adds strategy because you have to keep an eye on one character over the others -- it adds tension and stress, which is what battles should do.

Dude, by this logic, having Poison inflicted on your leader in every battle would also add good quality stress and tension to every fight. It's arbitrary.

I honestly do not have a single problem with having leader death = game over. I've gotten used it to it in SMT, and those games have fantastic battle systems.

"My favorite game X has bad thing Y, so if FF has bad thing Y as well, wicked!"

Firestorm

ZephyrFate said:
No, it's not. It actually adds strategy because you have to keep an eye on one character over the others -- it adds tension and stress, which is what battles should do. I honestly do not have a single problem with having leader death = game over. I've gotten used it to it in SMT, and those games have fantastic battle systems.
It doesn't add much strategy considering you can't even control the positioning of your leader. It adds tension and stress, but not in a good way.

Magnus

If the story added a reason for one character's death to be a critical blow to the party's advancement, there'd at least be a reason for it.

Think 'guest' characters that have to survive for you to proceed, or a character that's vital to an upcoming cutscene that has to make it, or something.

Kettch

It doesn't add much strategy considering you can't even control the positioning of your leader. It adds tension and stress, but not in a good way.

Oh yeah, positioning was another thing I thought could have been improved. It wasn't a big deal at all, but having one fight where my leader hugged the sentinel and got hit by continuous splash damage attacks and then another fight where she walked around to the opposite side and never got touched was a bit silly. Being able to move around would have been nice, or at least have some consistency in how they positioned themselves.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Rpgmonkey said:
It is when it's blended somewhat well and done in a more progressive fashion.

Going from hours of straight corridors with a heavily repeated format to hours of various things to do in an instant isn't good blending. XIII falls flat at something many previous FFs did somewhat well, and that's easing you into free exploration. You don't just get an airship and bam, you can go everywhere and explore. You get stuff like boats, canoes, chocobos, even a school, as you go through the game.

Maybe they didn't do a good illusion of it (it wouldn't have worked from the story standpoint), but it progress the same way most jRPGs do anyways.
The vast majority of the 1st 2/3rds of a game are heavily linear story driven segments & at the end they always open up a bunch of side quest & let you visit all of the World without restrictions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, the music spoilers?
Song for the main boss is incredible.

Chris R

Finally finished with the "tutorial" portion of the game :lol

Just wondering if I should stick with my current party, or swap some people out. I was thinking of going with Lightning/Vanille/Fang instead of Lightning/Hope/Fang but IDK :|

lunlunqq

jiggle said:
holy fuck
35 adamantoise/adamantortoise later
i'm still without a single trapzehedron
WTF

make sure vanille is using belladona
and fang is also on sab
and deshell it first after it fall before spamming death
increases the odds of it landing

i think you should at least have the money to buy one, no? i did some turtle farming and it's really tedious... eventually i just spent the money to buy one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
rhfb said:
Finally finished with the "tutorial" portion of the game :lol

Just wondering if I should stick with my current party, or swap some people out. I was thinking of going with Lightning/Vanille/Fang instead of Lightning/Hope/Fang but IDK :|
This is my favorite "casual" party.

COM/RAV/COM = damage
RAV/RAV/RAV = chain
SYN/SYN/SAB = buffing and slow on enemy
COM/SAB/COM = damage and debuff
MED/MED/MED = pure heals
SEN/MED/SEN = Invincible

Rpgmonkey

FTWer said:
Maybe they didn't do a good illusion of it (it wouldn't have worked from the story standpoint), but it progress the same way most jRPGs do anyways.
The vast majority of the 1st 2/3rds of a game are heavily linear story driven segments & at the end they always open up a bunch of side quest & let you visit all of the World without restrictions.

Many JRPGs will give you say, a boat and let you explore, letting you backtrack and on occasion do extra things that weren't necessary to progress; sometimes the story would even take a break for a moment, encouraging you to hang around and see what you can find. Then you get an airship with even greater exploration later on. This is a common technique for games "similar" to FF like Tales and Dragon Quest, and a few FFs before 10 came along also did it. Maybe it's an "illusion", but it's a well-known method of blending linearity and non-linearity together without it being too alienating or offensive to players.

Of course that style may be awkward in FFXIII's case, but the game goes to such extremes that I think it's perfectly understandable why people feel so strongly one way or the other, because of the way it's a lot like sticking two different halves together to make one complete thing.

Yoshichan

Prothero said:
Is there any way to get more Deceptisols and Fortisols? I used all of the ones I had in my inventory (only had 3 of each).
1: Buy them.
2: Equip the item that increases the odds of you finding shrouds in battle.
3: Play worse (get less stars) to have a higher chance of getting them.

Magnus said:
So much of Chapters 1-10 lets you get away with fucked up AI prioritization, because the game is so damned easy and the consequences for using one spell before another won't kill you, but just frustrate you as a player. Look at the other replies echoing the complains in this thread for validation of my 'hyperbole' please.

hmm.. I'm glad to see people are slowly coming around to admitting the AI has issues.

I claimed the AI had issues (esp Medic and Synergist heal/buff order) shortly after the games release on this very thread and was brow beaten by people who didn't see anything wrong with it. But wisdom comes with experience as they say.

Yoshichan

mjemirzian said:
hmm.. I'm glad to see people are slowly coming around to admitting the AI has issues.

I claimed the AI had issues (esp Medic and Synergist heal/buff order) shortly after the games release on this very thread and was brow beaten by people who didn't see anything wrong with it.
This is something people would notice after a couple of days, it's normal.

Prothero

Neo Member
Yoshichan said:
1: Buy them.
2: Equip the item that increases the odds of you finding shrouds in battle.
3: Play worse (get less stars) to have a higher chance of getting them.

Where do I buy them? I just got to Chapter 10. Are they available in any stores I have access to right now?

Yoshichan

Prothero said:
Where do I buy them? I just got to Chapter 10. Are they available in any stores I have access to right now?
I'm pretty sure you can buy them right now. Go to Store, it should be the second store available.

Yoshichan

Himuro said:
I've taken out the first 10 marks and honestly, the whole game should have been like this.
I love you... but this would really be a love/hate kind of thing.
Himuro said:
I keep hearing about this tower in chapter 11 that's an actual honest to goodness dungeon, but I won't believe it until I see it.?
You should know that graphically (design mostly), it's very FFXII'ish. Which is a good thing for you, I think :)?

Xevren

I don't hate the marks, but I was let down by them quite a bit. The hunts in 12 were far better, and were actually unique compared to the marks in 13. Just thought it was lazy that everything was a palette swap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yoshichan said:
I love you... but this would really be a love/hate kind of thing.

Well, it's not like 25 hours of complete linearity to get to 25 hours of being open isn't the same type of love/hate. :p

Fuu

Himuro said:
I keep hearing about this tower in chapter 11 that's an actual honest to goodness dungeon, but I won't believe it until I see it.
I wouldn't expect much. I found it entertaining but you basically do the same thing on every floor and there's no actual puzzle or exploration aspect to it.

Yoshichan

My bad, from what I understood I thought Himuro meant that the game should be purely designed for hunts. He pretty much wants them to come earlier in the game, which I agree on.

Himuro said:
I keep hearing about this tower in chapter 11 that's an actual honest to goodness dungeon, but I won't believe it until I see it.

I don't know if it's, like, good, but it is the closest thing to "good" dungeon design that you'll get in this game. By the way: enjoy it, because the last dungeon design is ridiculously bleh (though technically and artistically whoa).

Fuu

I thought the afternoon at Palumpolum was pretty but
all the sections of Eden
in chapter 12 are visually outstanding. Stopped to appreciate it more than once and it's the first time it truly pains me that I can't stroll around the place in usual RPG fashion.

Chumly

So what are the best weapons for each character that people have been using? I was wondering what weapons I should level up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
IronFistedChampion said:
So, I'm at the end of Chapter 4. Which weapon should I upgrade for Lightning, the Gladious or the Blazefire Saber?

Actually, you don't need to upgrade the weapons till Chapter 11 onwards.

But if you really want to upgrade, maybe you want to go for Gladius.

Man, I'd love to hear some of you guys who can't stand leader=KO death play an SMT game, where it makes even more sense for this to happen. Those games would destroy you. :lol Of all the gripes with the battle system, you all chose THAT in particular?

:lol :lol

Himuro: It means that you can upgrade that weapon if you have the particular transmutation material for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom