• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

I've been playing this for the first time the past couple of months. I just got to Gran Pulse and did the first 3 missions.

I can see what that guy above was saying about the game almost having an old-school mentality in it's structure. I'm talking FF1 or perhaps more accurately FF4- extremely linear with battle after battle thrown at you. The linearity didn't get to me until the Ark but that part really reminded me of the Sealed Cave (the one with the evil doors and evil wall) from FFIV. The story is also similarly melodramatic.

Now I understand that RPG's should be past that point by now but as a fan of the SNES games I appreciated the structure that was very similar to FFIV and to a lesser extent FFVI. (FFVI was also incredibly linear in the WoB but it hid it a bit better) I can understand how people new to the series would dislike the game but many Final Fantasies have been very linear, it's just that FFXIII was very bad at covering up how linear the game actually is.

CrankyJay

Banned
aceface said:
I've been playing this for the first time the past couple of months. I just got to Gran Pulse and did the first 3 missions.

I can see what that guy above was saying about the game almost having an old-school mentality in it's structure. I'm talking FF1 or perhaps more accurately FF4- extremely linear with battle after battle thrown at you. The linearity didn't get to me until the Ark but that part really reminded me of the Sealed Cave (the one with the evil doors and evil wall) from FFIV. The story is also similarly melodramatic.

Now I understand that RPG's should be past that point by now but as a fan of the SNES games I appreciated the structure that was very similar to FFIV and to a lesser extent FFVI. (FFVI was also incredibly linear in the WoB but it hid it a bit better) I can understand how people new to the series would dislike the game but many Final Fantasies have been very linear, it's just that FFXIII was very bad at covering up how linear the game actually is.

I see what you mean, but I think what people are missing is the chance to explore on an overworld map via Airship or some other form of transport. Hell...even walking.

My first FF games were on the SNES and I absolutely loved them, so when I played FF X for the first time and saw that the "overworld map" was just a series of dots with no exploration, I was really disappointed.

I think a good compromise to this would be a world like FF XI (online) where you can travel and explore the settings, a la Oblivion. I spent hours in Oblivion just walking the landscape and exploring things, which is a lot of fun to me.

Only have two trophies left, but god, they're so daunting. I don't see myself 5-starring every mission, particularly the last few, and since the game doesn't keep track of what weapons and accessories you have, it makes the Treasure Hunter trophy incredibly convoluted.

But still-- only two trophies from the Platinum. GOD DAMN IT :lol

Zoe

Skel said:
Yep, Gamestop replaced my disk and it still did not work. This is a well documented issue on youtube and whatnot.

It's weird that this issue was introduced with the NA version... nobody in the import thread ever reported any problems.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
brandonh83 said:
Ugh

do you seriously have to get 5 or more Dark Matters in order to get every accessory?

fuck this crap.

Getting Dark Matters isn't a problem at all actually as compared to getting Trapehezdrons. I got 3 Dark Matters in 10 minutes. :p

ULTROS! said:
Getting Dark Matters isn't a problem at all actually as compared to getting Trapehezdrons. I got 3 Dark Matters in 10 minutes. :p

I have a really, really hard time taking down Long Gui's or whatever. I don't see myself farming them. I've only killed one for the Adamant Will trophy and that was using my exilirs to keep it staggered.

Also, I'm trying to 5-star every mission, and despite the fact that I beat them under the target time, I can't get 5 stars. What's going on? Is there more to it?

Cels

brandonh83 said:
I have a really, really hard time taking down Long Gui's or whatever. I don't see myself farming them. I've only killed one for the Adamant Will trophy and that was using my exilirs to keep it staggered.

Also, I'm trying to 5-star every mission, and despite the fact that I beat them under the target time, I can't get 5 stars. What's going on? Is there more to it?

The target time is for THREE stars from what I remember. You have to be significantly below the target time to get FIVE stars.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ugh. That mission with 2 ravajitkas or whatever they're called is bullshit. I beat it but can see myself having issues 5 starring them.

Cels said:
The target time is for THREE stars from what I remember. You have to be significantly below the target time to get FIVE stars.

Well. That explains a lot. :lol

Damn. I have no idea how to go about 5-starring some of these things. Some of the trophies in this game... god damn...

brandonh83 said:

5 star times are shorter than the target time. The target time that is relative to the highest strength/magic weapon. If one weapon has 1000 strength and the two other weapons are 500. Your target time is based on the 1000 strength weapon. Use shrouds on the more difficult enemies to 5-star.

marathonfool said:
5 star times are shorter than the target time. The target time that is relative to the highest strength/magic weapon. If one weapon has 1000 strength and the two other weapons are 500. Your target time is based on the 1000 strength weapon. Use shrouds on the more difficult enemies to 5-star.

I see, thanks. That helps.

Any good ways to farm for Dark Matters?

brandonh83 said:
I could barely kill one Long Gui.

Maybe I should just call it quits.
Shaolong Guis are easier for me. I killed it with base weapons and fairly low HP. Just make sure you have defense accessories. If you're high enough level, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

marathonfool said:
Shaolong Guis are easier for me. I killed it with base weapons and fairly low HP. Just make sure you have defense accessories. If you're high enough level, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I have maxed out everything, everyone has Ultimate Weapons, all the missions are done. And I still feel like I suck. :lol

brandonh83 said:
I have maxed out everything, everyone has Ultimate Weapons, all the missions are done. And I still feel like I suck. :lol
Did you max out the defense accessories? Less time spent healing goes a long way toward killing high HP enemies.

Cels

brandonh83 said:

I'm sorry to say this but you have to be doing something wrong. If your chars are going into the battle with the crystarium maxed, with proper accessories and equipment, then there is nothing else to do on that end. The problem must then be in your battle strategy. Watch a couple videos to see what works for other people, and have at it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
Suuuuuuuuuper easy.

Sab Sab Sab
Rav Rav Rav
-> 999%
Com Com Com
-> Fang's Highwind (999.999 dmg)

repeat.

Oh and Sen Sen Sen everytime he does his stomp/earthquake. Immediately after his move, go Med Med Buff.

Yeah I've always felt like I'm doing something wrong, thanks for the heads-up. :lol

On a side note, what's the best kind of equipment? I have typical stuff, like maxed General's Belts and that sort of thing already.

Yoshi, should I target the body or legs? I've tried bringing it down by staggering both legs but I can't seem to do it quickly enough or something.

Okay I seem to be having trouble actually doing 999,999 damage. I stagger and do Highwind, but the damage isn't nearly that high. I do have a maxed out Genji Glove equipped.

Zoe

brandonh83 said:
Okay I seem to be having trouble actually doing 999,999 damage. I stagger and do Highwind, but the damage isn't nearly that high. I do have a maxed out Genji Glove equipped.

Well, make sure you're not doing Highwind until the stagger's about to end.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
Yoshi, should I target the body or legs? I've tried bringing it down by staggering both legs but I can't seem to do it quickly enough or something.
Sab Sab Sab
Rav Rav Rav
-> 999%
Com Com Com
-> Fang's Highwind (999.999 dmg)
On its legs so that it goes down. Then aim and repeat the same thing on the body.
brandonh83 said:
Is the leg staggered to 999%? Is it debuffed (THIS IS IMPORTANT! Unlike all other Final Fantasy games, debuffing the enemy is actually insanely good). Go all out with Rav Rav Rav until it's 999%. And don't use Highwind immediately when it's at full percentage. Go with melee attacks until he's about to wake up (you'll get the timing eventually) and use it as soon as he tries to walk on his feet again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's my Shaolong Gui strategy:

Party: Fang (main), Lightning, Hope
Requirements: Fully buffed with sprays, maxed level, Fang and Lightning with Genji Gloves

Paradigms:

1. SEN SEN SEN
2. MED MED MED
3. SYN SYN SYN (or the buffing paradigm)
4. SEN SAB SAB
5. RAV RAV RAV
6. COM COM COM

Strategy:

At the start of the battle, make sure you're on (1), after the SLG does the devastating attack, proceed to (2), then curing enough, proceed to (3) until you are buffed well, then proceed to (4). If the SLG has been debuffed, proceed to RAV RAV RAV until you reach 999% (or until staggered), then proceed to (6). If the SLG casts another devastating attack, go back to (2) then proceed to (5) and then (6) or if the buffs/debuffs wear off, proceed to (3) or (4) then (5) then (6).

Lumine

Err what the hell is this? It was hard not to avoid any of the negative response to this game here, but I had to try it anyway. A final fantasy can't be that bad right?

I just started and I think I'm only a little over an hour in so I hope it's still going to pick up, but I'm defenitly not liking it much. It just seems completely stripped of everything. I'm just moving forward while fighting the camera system and then walking up to my enemies because apparently I'm unable to initiate the battle myself. During the battles all I have to do is press x for auto-attack. It's quite boring. Do I ever get to control any more characters at the same time? Do I get to level my characters up? Is there any customization other than the accessory slot? Is there more to the level design than just these corridors? Why is there no AF on those flat floors? Where the hell is everything? I know I'm a bit early in, but this seems so barren. Like it's completely stripped of anything FF and seems to play more like that FF7 PS2 spin-off game.

Please tell me it's getting better soon. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom