• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post pics of shitty controllers

Bojangles

krae_man said:
zxx7d.jpg

There was nothing wrong with this controller. IN fact, daisy chaining controllers was the coolest fucking thing since the NES bomberman multitap thingy.

G0523 said:
For those few arguing about how the Dreamcast controller was good...when you go from
segasat.jpg

to
nidpad.jpg

you know something seriously went wrong behind closed doors. And those were both Saturn controllers! You can imagine what went on for the Dreamcast controller.

"Hey, about the Dreamcast controller...should we redesign it from scratch?"
"Nah, let's just take off two of the buttons from the Saturn analog controller and call it a day."
"Okay, it's not like the Dreamcast will have a lot of fighting games anyway. Lol."

Top one. Sony, Microsoft, Nintedo do you see that? Do you see that? That's a fucking d-pad. Best pre-analogue controller ever. Even the Saturn 6-button is crap compared to it.

Sew

weekend_warrior said:
So you're saying if Sony thought the current position of the sticks was the "primary" input position then the orginal PS controller would have looked like this? That makes a lot of sense. :rollseyes:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vu0i2e.jpg
Branduil is correct, and the ludicrous photoshop you did proves the point. They engineered a controller with a d-pad and four buttons. They located those controls in the optimal position. When they added the sticks, they put them in an available position.

"Nothin' but a telephone with a waffle iron attached."

(I'm not a dualshock hater by any means, but from a hardware design POV it's pretty obvious that the stick position was renovation, not innovation).

Sew

deadlydeadite said:
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk215/sweetlife4/Nintendo%2064%20N64/97UltraRacer64-7.jpg

I actually own two of these, I found them in a dollar store somewhere. :lol
Ha, cool! Are they totally crap?

klee123

For a first party controller on a system I have owned. It would be the 360 controller

Since I play mainly fighters, jrpgs and action games. The D-pad, face buttons and bumper placements are complete shit.

I can see why people would say it's the best controller, since the controller is practically designed for the fps genre, but whatever opinions are opinions.

Gamecube controller is also up there, but since I played the GCN mainly for the Resident evil ga,e, the controller was surprisingly good. It all fell apart when I played Ikaruga and Soul Calibur II on it though.

Still, those controllers are still way above typical third party controllers.

I think the issues with the analog stick place would be solved if the controllers stopped putting the D-Pad or analog stick directly SE of the main position. That's one thing I think the Dreamcast controller got right, it allowed both the D-Pad and Analog Stick to be easily reachable and I really liked that as a kid.

Right now I think the reason that I can easily reach the Dualshock 3 analog stick (I like the DS3 better than the 360 controller, BTW) is because it is so small, and they made the analog sticks larger, but my own hands are also small, so how will this feel for people with large hands?

360 D-Pad sucks anyway, so if I want to play a game with 2D gameplay, I just use my arcade stick or my fightpad, so I usually don't have to worry about its D-Pad positioning.

remcontr.jpg

wireless_controller_back.jpg

i had this flying piece turd of shit, not only it ate batteries like a fucking fat lady in a pie shop but it had diarrhea ballz of fury stamped on the front, hell it even makes fact that that shitty ass putrid excuse of a fucking company made it.

and the worst part was that it was not even funny how fucking fat that shit was.

Oh, and the wireless receiver was tightier than a fucking fleshlight after being in the sun for a whole year, you had to point it DIRECTLY to that hellish box of shit.

Using this controller was worse than taking a direct diahrrea shot to the eye, it was worse then eating some vomit that someone did an enema with it was worse then having a priest take you to the fucking confessionary, oh yes, it was THAT BAD

AND IT STILL USED 4 AAA'S WTF AKKLAIM, WTF!?

Holepunch

SaggyMonkey said:
Always disappointed when I get stuck with one of these at someone else's house.

2itk9co.jpg

Fucking agreed.

The original Guitar Hero controller's strum-bar clacked loudly but at least it didn't have the dexterity and responsiveness of wet spaghetti.

WillyFive

FromTheFuture said:
No one knows how to use PS controllers, obviously. Hint: you don't hold them like a god damn support bar on the subway.

Believe it or not, you will be surprised at the wide variety of ways people find to hold a controller. Any controller.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ten-Song said:
2cni52q.jpg

Everything about this controller was horrible. It was the most ergonomically confusing goddamn thing ever conceived.

yeah , this was pure piece of crap.

- the grip is just not right , it look like you hold the controller from lower point , feel just wrong.
- D-pad is fucking small.
- buttons placement ( A , B , Y ,X ) is a big big joke.
- analog sticks are crap because of the dump C stick.
- L and R are not real trigger like what in Xbox or Dreamcast nor real shoulder buttons like Sony's , it's the worst of both worlds and they suck balls and huge dicks.
- Z button , seriously the hell is this , why ? why ? why ?

deadlydeadite said:
97UltraRacer64-7.jpg

I actually own two of these, I found them in a dollar store somewhere. :lol
Sew said:
Ha, cool! Are they totally crap?
I had the Playstation version of it and yeah it is totally crap. The wheel just has too little range of motion and the whole thing is unergonomic.

I have a different PS2 RC-style controller I got from Hong Kong and it is infinitely better.

skee

Neo Member
glaurung said:

Dyno said:
LOL! Look at its expression! It's submitting to the pleasure of a tummy rub!

:lol :lol :lol Holy shit, now thats funny! It really does look just like that.

Edit: Seriously, I cant unsee it now......OMG im in tears. Tummy rub.. :lol :lol :lol

mr stroke said:
Before the PC had awesome 360 pad support they probably had the worst 3rd party trash out there

if anyone remembers the crap that Gravis used to make

sfib1u.jpg

lb8g1.jpg

why was there a screw in joystick?

nah, nah, hold on a minute...at the time that was about as good as it got on the pc. i played much mortal kombat 2 with that. it was pretty sick, all things considered.

Diortem7

Barkley's Justice said:
yea but 3 buttons at the time was like, "WHAT??!...*THREE* BUTTONS?? OMG!!11"
I don't see why though. The NES has the same number of buttons, except on the Genesis controller one is called C and not select.

Edit: The main reason why I personally don't like the original Genesis controller is because of the d-pad. In my experience, the d-pad on these controllers are unresponsive and are hard to press. The d-pad on the 6 button controller, however, is just fantastic.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is it just me or was it fun looking through this thread at all the old controllers you used to own when you were a kid? :lol

Snuggler said:
I've been browsing bad controllers on google images and this one came up:

34siavk.jpg

I don't know what its for but I wouldn't want to use it.
I have one of those. It's actually pretty well made and feels great for FPS (once you got used to it). Pity I spilled some milk on it and now all of the buttons stick. That, and my original Xbox is busted...

As for the whole 360 controller thing--I'm not the biggest fan. Not because of ergonomics or anything like that; honestly, I think it's one of the most comfortable and intelligent designs so far. My problem is how poorly made they are. The D-Pads are trash, the analog sticks wear down way too quickly, and the bumpers feel cheap and are easily busted. Just really poorly made. Which is a shame.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
sonikokaruto said:
http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/nes/hardware/remcontr.jpg[IMG]
[img]http://www.nintendocity.com/pictures/box_scans/nes/wireless_controller_back.jpg[img]

[spoiler]
i had this flying piece turd of shit, not only it ate batteries like a fucking fat lady in a pie shop but it had diarrhea ballz of fury stamped on the front, hell it even makes fact that that shitty ass putrid excuse of a fucking company made it.

and the worst part was that it was not even funny how fucking fat that shit was.

Oh, and the wireless receiver was tightier than a fucking fleshlight after being in the sun for a whole year, you had to point it DIRECTLY to that hellish box of shit.

Using this controller was worse than taking a direct diahrrea shot to the eye, it was worse then eating some vomit that someone did an enema with it was worse then having a priest take you to the fucking confessionary, oh yes, it was THAT BAD

[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
:lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Combichristoffersen said:
I don't know what you'd refer to as bent, but I don't think my thumb looks all that bent while holding the left analog stick..

DSC00107Small.jpg

you have a fat thumb

as for shitty controllers, these were turrible (i might still have mine somewhere)
100_1589.jpg

NewFresh

Master-FPS.jpg

I still remember buying this for a ridiculous amount of money at the peak of my Halo LAN party days. I never got the hang of using it, while my older brother invested hours into mastering its awkwardness.

I don't know what you'd refer to as bent, but I don't think my thumb looks all that bent while holding the left analog stick..

DSC00107Small.jpg
Maybe you just don't notice because of your FREAKISHLY LARGE FINGERNAILS HOLY SHIT CUT THAT DOWN YOU SICK BASTARD

DSC00107Small.jpg

....what the fuck dude. Seriously... that's just gross.

surly said:
I hated that thing, partly because it wasn't very comfortable to hold, but mainly because the joystick didn't self-centre.

ugh, i was just thinking about these awful things for that same reason:

ibmjoysticks.jpg

can not conceive who thought non-centering sticks was a good idea. plus having to manually calibrate the centre position :| notably, when pc gaming really took off those joysticks were nowhere to be seen.

alr1ghtstart said:
as for shitty controllers, these were turrible (i might still have mine somewhere)
100_1589.jpg

These really were crap. My poor parents bought me some of these and totally wasted their money. And I asked for them :(

The idea of wireless controllers was really cool at the time, but you had to hold the controller at a specific angle at all times to make contact with the sensor. It just wasn't practical.

ToxicAdam

Shin_Kojima said:
philips-g7000-wired-joystick.jpg

Phillips Videopac (or Magnavox Odyssey) joystick.
My hand hurts just thinking back.

It was durable as hell. I used it as my c64 controller for years.

Almost impossible to do smooth circular motions for games that required it though.

I'm surprised nobody's posted this yet. I mean come on people, it's a square, and after a few hours those edges started to hurt. Even the concaveness of the buttons created a sharp corner around the edge.

2gv7ic7.jpg

This was actually a really nice controller. The sliding D-pad was a bit weird to get used to but for games that didn't required a lot of precision it was a good alternative to the above.

aparisi2274 said:

ToxicAdam

Yea, the Max was nice. Definitely more comfortable than the regular controller. The sliding joypad wasn't very good for games that required precision (bad news for the merciless NES platforming games). Also, you would accidently press the turbo button and screw up. No way to disable it.

It was the king controller for games like Ring King and NES Ice Hockey. Fights would break out over who got to use the controller.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm gonna pretend someone didn't post the Max. That was my main NES controller. Any issues you had with it were your issues, it was fantastic for me.

Although, when my hands started sweating sometimes I had to press on the outside black directional circle as opposed to the red sliding thing, but both options worked fine.

To answer a question someone had previously on why people bought so many shitty 3rd party controllers,

my reason was mainly for turbo buttons. Other than the TG-16 no system has come with turbo buttons standard, and turbo used to be a lot more important to games than it is now. So I bought a lot of shitty controllers in the hopes of finding a great turbo controller.

The Max is the best turbo controller I've ever owned.

Nose Master

sonikokaruto said:
remcontr.jpg

We had one of these when I was a kid. :lol :lol Goooood times.

Nilla

Banned
sonikokaruto said:

"No Messy Wires - roll and tumble with your favorite games!"

That's perhaps the greatest thing about getting rid of all those messy wires with the current console generation. I am just rolling and tumbling to my heart's content these days.

basis

captain-power-ad.jpg

and pls dun knock the Gravis gamepad, i completed the original LucasArts Star Wars: X-Wing, B-Wing & TIE Fighter with it.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Shin_Kojima said:
Phillips Videopac (or Magnavox Odyssey) joystick.
My hand hurts just thinking back.

My friend had sticks like this, I think it was a Texas Instruments machine. We were playing a tank battle game and the fire button kept popping off. Probably made the game more interesting as you scrambled to find it.

Noisepurge said:
As much as i love Amiga... These cheap rubbish no-good useless heaps of plastic...

Lies, Konix Navigator (bottom right) was the shit!

Loved me some Quickshot Maverick:

350m1ea.jpg

I remember pounding the A button so hard for Speeball II
LOL REVOLVER
. Something started rattling inside but it kept on trucking <3

Top Bottom