• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Nolan's 'Inception' to star Dicaprio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
A bit OT. But I had recently watched Memento again. I've watched it 3 times in the span of 2 days. Trying to understand it. I have never had a film that forced me to remember the smallest details of every scene, piecing things together. It was damn hard, like literally felt my brain crunch like I was studying something. I was relieved to when I got to the end.

As I understand it:
The scenes are all backwards right? And he finally kills Freddy ( who made him kill so many J.G's. Didn't get the last part though, he did change his situation right? He'll be looking for J.G for the rest of his life, but he won't be stuck in that loop bubble made by Freddy anymore,right?

Twitter buzz from Wondercon (added stuff from last page):

Inception is a heist film about guys who can create dreams for people, bring them in and use that to steal their thoughts

Nolan says he loves IMAX but it wouldnt have suited Inception.

Nolan influenced by Kubrick, Malick, early Ridley Scott, and seeing Star Wars for the first time. Pretty much just like every movie fan. :)

Christopher Nolan says that despite the sci-fi trappings, "Inception" is a heist movie. A wacky, brainy heist movie.

INCEPTION looks like a dream-state industrial espionage thriller. Aka "The Freud Supremacy." Or "The Jung Identity."

"Inception" looks stunning. It may be stunning as a movie, or just a massive mindf***. That would be OK, too.

I think INCEPTION could be the perfect Nolan movie - lots of ideas, which is what he's best at.

Loved the Inception footage; while Nolan was dry the dude knows his shit. Says 65mm 5-perf is the best film format in terms of image quality

I speak like this rarely, so that it might mean something: INCEPTION looks gorgeous, dense, thrilling, stark, bold. Top of my must-see list.

Christopher Nolan showed clip of his upcoming film Inception at Wondercon. Visually stunning.

Inception extended Wondercon trailer, Wow! Straight to the top of 010 for me

Holy shit chris nolan's inception looks f'n amazing! #wondercon

Holy crap. Just saw the extended trailer for Christopher Nolan's Inception. Trust me, you want to see this film.

no idea how to describe Inception. it's classic Nolan, something about security for dreams/subconscious.

INCEPTION looks fascinating. It has my attention!

Inception footage: incredible art direction, crush-worthy cast
Holy mindfuck Batman! That looks amazing!!!! Just saw the trailer for Inception. Wowzers :D

omg..inception looks freakin awesome!! #wondercon

Inception WILL be the movie of the summer...from what I gather its about agents who extract sensitive security info from dreams #wondercon

Movie of the fucking year. :D

mello

Jibril said:
A bit OT. But I had recently watched Memento again. I've watched it 3 times in the span of 2 days. Trying to understand it. I have never had a film that forced me to remember the smallest details of every scene, piecing things together. It was damn hard, like literally felt my brain crunch like I was studying something. I was relieved to when I got to the end.

As I understand it:
The scenes are all backwards right? And he finally kills Freddy ( who made him kill so many J.G's. Didn't get the last part though, he did change his situation right? He'll be looking for J.G for the rest of his life, but he won't be stuck in that loop bubble made by Freddy anymore,right?

First time I tried to watch the film I quit because I thought it was an annoying concept. I then heard so much buzz that I tried it again. I managed to sit through it the second time, it didnt confuse me but I understood it in the end. It's been awhile but if I remember correctly
doesn't Leonard just accept Terry as his John G? Although I remember Leonard getting ready to get a tattoo at the end of the film which could have meant that Leonard was willing to continue searching for another John G. I can't really remember it all, and the way the film was edited doesn't really help either.

George89

Neo Member
I guess this means the trailer showed little of Cotillard:

Asked about Marion Cotillard's role, Nolan would only say, "She plays an extremely complicated individual. She gives a fascinating performance."

ezekial45

Banned
Is there gonna be some video of the panel uploaded later? i'm not expecting to see the movie footage, but some panel footage would be cool.

Now I'm really kicking myself for not staying. I got to meet Jake gylenhaal before though. That was pretty cool.

ezekial45 said:
Is there gonna be some video of the panel uploaded later? i'm not expecting to see the movie footage, but some panel footage would be cool.

Now I'm really kicking myself for not staying. I got to meet Jake gylenhaal before though. That was pretty cool.
Its just an extended trailer so I would assume so!

DMczaf

LA Times with another exclusive with Nolan, shocker.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-inception4-2010apr04,0,6869939.story

"Inception," the 39-year-old director's seventh feature film and his first foray into science fiction, combines the perception riddles of "Memento" and the sheer scale of "Dark Knight" with its $160-million budget and location shoots in Morocco, France, Japan and three other countries.

The movie may be Hollywood's first existential heist movie, and though that may not sound like typical fare for the air-conditioning months, Warners and Legendary Pictures are banking on the movie catching on as a brainy "Mission: Impossible" by way of "The Matrix"; the globe-trotting movie may have had its subconscious baggage packed by Sigmund Freud, in other words, but it also carries a passport stamped by Ian Fleming. DiCaprio says Nolan is the perfect director to turn that unlikely combination into a July hit.

"I originally wrote it as a heist movie, and heist movies traditionally are very deliberately superficial in emotional terms," Nolan said. "They're frivolous and glamorous, and there's a sort of gloss and fun to it. I originally tried to write it that way, but when I came back to it I realized that -- to me -- that didn't work for a film that relies so heavily on the idea of the interior state, the idea of dream and memory. I realized I needed to raise the emotional stakes. What we found in working on 'Batman' is that it's the emotionalism that best connects the audience with the material. The character issues, those are the things that pull the audience through it and amplify the experience no matter how strange things get."

Corbould's teams, for instance, built giant rotating hallways and a massive tilting nightclub set to film the startling "Inception" scenes when dream-sector physics take a sharp turn into chaos. One of the film's stars, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, spent long, bruising weeks learning to fight in a corridor that spun like a giant hamster wheel.

"It was like some incredible torture device; we thrashed Joseph for weeks," Nolan said. "But in the end we looked at the footage, and it looks unlike anything any of us has seen before. The rhythm of it is unique, and when you watch it, even if you know how it was done, it confuses your perceptions. It's unsettling in a wonderful way . . . we want an extraordinary thing that happens in an ordinary way. That's always been the goal."

"I think ours is of an older school, ours is more of 'The Matrix' variety and the concepts of different levels of reality," Nolan said. "The whole concept of avatars and living life as someone else, there's a relationship to what we're doing, but I think when I first started trying to make this film happen it was very much pulled from that era of movies where you had 'The Matrix,' you had 'Dark City,' you had 'The Thirteenth Floor' and, to a certain extent, you had 'Memento' too. They were based in the principles that the world around you might not be real."

Interesting bit on Batman 3

Sipping tea in her trailer during a break in shooting last year, Page seemed a bit overwhelmed by the set, which was housed inside the converted old zeppelin hangar. "I've never really seen anything like this," she said. "It's humbling."It's the same place that Nolan used for his Batman films; Arkham Asylum, the Narrows and other Gotham City landmarks are still standing, waiting for the inevitable third Batman film that will almost certainly be Nolan's next project. That topic, though, is verboten on the "Inception" set, as is the Superman franchise that Nolan and Thomas will be trying to get off the ground in the next few years. ("I would never ask, and you shouldn't either," Murphy said with an expression of alarm. "He's got enough on his plate without us getting all fanboy on him.")

Bring back the Narrows!

DanielPlainview said:
awesome, doesn't
Kick-Ass
use Surface of the Sun as well?

Fuck that song is perfect for life.

Surface of the Sun was so horribly out of place in Kick Ass. As was Murphy's other tracks from 28 Days Later.

George89

Neo Member
DanielPlainview said:
awesome, doesn't
Kick-Ass
use Surface of the Sun as well?

Fuck that song is perfect for life.

Oh would it be that song? I assumed end meant the literal end, as in "Capa Meets the Sun" (which is also great imo).

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Scullibundo said:
Surface of the Sun was so horribly out of place in Kick Ass. As was Murphy's other tracks from 28 Days Later.

Heell no.

All of them were perfectly placed

Scullibundo said:
Oh GAF.
:lol :lol :lol

You say it as if your contribution to film-gaf isn't five dozen Avatar threads. :D

edit- I don't claim to agree with the statement, by the way. I was merely sparking conversation. My choice for greatest living film maker is probably Scorsese, although Nolan is quite high on the list.

Solo

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Nolan is the greatest living film maker.

Yay or nay?

Oh fuck no :lol :lol He is one of the better active (as in, putting out at least one film every 2-3 years) ones though.

Solo said:
Oh fuck no :lol :lol He is one of the better active (as in, putting out at least one film every 2-3 years) ones though.

Yeah, it's hard for me to say greatest living, but he's one of the few, if only, directors that I look forward to anything he produces. And I would say he's one of the few, if only, directors I personally can say has never directed a bad film. (Insomnia wasn't great, but it was a pretty good film. All of his other stuff I pretty much love.)

There are only a couple other directors I can personally think of that come close. QT (though Death Proof was easily his worst), PTA, Fincher, Aronofsky. Very few others actually have a steady stream of great films, and even those guys have had long breaks between movies. Nolan may be the most consistently great director who consistently produces a film.

Xrenity said:
Shiiiit I want to see this trailer!

Easily my most anticipated movie of the year.

Agreed. Since a trailer is apparently edited together already and being shown at expo's it can only be a matter of time before it's fully revealed. My guess is that it'll be attached to Kick-Ass.

Solo

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Agreed. Since a trailer is apparently edited together already and being shown at expo's it can only be a matter of time before it's fully revealed. My guess is that it'll be attached to Kick-Ass.

Inception is a WB film, and Kick Ass is from Lionsgate. Youll see Inception attached to WB's next big movie before Kick Ass, Id wager.

WillyFive

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Nolan is the greatest living film maker.

Yay or nay?

Nay.

But he's tied alongside JJ Abrams as the hottest and best new directors out there.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
BTW, hopefully this will be another film that makes you think and is open for interpretation, like The Prestige.

That could be fun.

If you think that spending countless threads whether this part that happened meant this or that for years is fun. (I do).

DMczaf

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Oh, good point. What is WB's next big movie? The Losers?

Yeah. Also, it would be a good idea to get the trailer out before the summer movies start hitting. That way, theaters can just throw it on to random Iron Man 2, Robin Hood, etc showings.

Solo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
BTW, hopefully this will be another film that makes you think and is open for interpretation, like The Prestige.

The Prestige isnt really open to interpretation though - things are straight forward and laid right out for you, but a large portion of the audience failed completely to understand it. I cant believe there were people after the movie who didnt realize that there was cloning and shit going on. How do you miss that? :lol

WillyFive

Solo said:
The Prestige isnt really open to interpretation though - things are straight forward and laid right out for you, but a large portion of the audience failed completely to understand it. I cant believe there were people after the movie who didnt realize that there was cloning and shit going on. How do you miss that? :lol

Everybody knew about the cloning. It was how the cloning worked and which clone you were seeing on screen was the real one.

Solo

Willy105 said:
Everybody knew about the cloning.

Read some of the GAF threads about the movie. Its shocking how little some people picked up. People couldnt even realize that Borden and Tesla had never met.

WillyFive

Solo said:
Read some of the GAF threads about the movie. Its shocking how little some people picked up. People couldnt even realize that Borden and Tesla had never met.

They didn't?

Anyway, there are a bunch of people out there that think that Nolan's Batman takes place in the same story as Burton's Batman, and that the new Batman is old Batman's son.

Nolan's style of storytelling is new, and older people used to previous movies have a hard time "getting it".

Remember that Up's opening sequence about married life, a lot of people had trouble understanding it because there wasn't anybody talking and couldn't pick up the visual cues that explained what the scene was about.

And don't say they are retarded, because they are not. They are normal people, they just aren't used to advanced versions of storytelling in use by movies today.

If you remember that Facebook login thread, you'll understand better what I am trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom