• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjRalford

You might want to try out Forza Apex before making that kind of claim.

They are definitely not forcing "Scorpio settings".

I have forza Apex ta, and my rig runs a splendidly locked 60fps at 4k :)

But your point is,,,,,pointless, scorpio is not out yet, hell according to the youtube stream MS only told devs about it weeks ago.

I don't know why people don't think they'll be able to put out games at 4K.

You have all the indie games, and the big first party games can run at 4K/30FPS.

They never said it HAD to be 4K/60.

Also, I don't get the 1080 comparisons. Aren't Nvidia and AMD TFlops completely different?

Yes they are, but clearly some people don;t get that part.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Good to know, hope they don't go back on their word, this is MS after all.

Uh... c'mon now.

There is a big difference with changing a policy and performance targets.

But your point is,,,,,pointless, scorpio is not out yet, hell according to the youtube stream MS only told devs about it weeks ago.

My point isn't pointless, in fact... your point is pointless because there are zero reason to believe they would do what you're claiming.

In fact "Playing Without Boundaries" was a big part of their conference.

DjRalford

Uh... c'mon now.

There is a big difference with changing a policy and performance targets.

My point isn't pointless, in fact... your point is pointless because there are zero reason to believe they would do what you're claiming.

In fact "Playing Without Boundaries" was a big part of their conference.

That is true, but MS cannot tell every publisher what to do, and there are some mighty lazy devs out there.

Nzyme32

For 4k30 in some games and 1080p60 in others and 4k60 in like one or two games.

Pretty much. Neat though since it is a far better proposition for those that might be entering a particular ecosystem or moving from a very old console. Buying an Xbox One or even the S right now might not be as worthwhile, but I suspect if they keep the 3 tiers, people may stick to the same level through each "gen" or the more hardcore go for every other one or subsequent consoles. More choice is good, but MS isn't going to be pushing too far for the sake of cost at the time

timlot

Banned
Tinúviel;206850772 said:

Pretty clear they are going for 4K gameplay. Which should be possible with optimized SOC architecture.

Also interesting was when Larry asked Phil about people choosing to wait for Scorpio vs XB1 S. Phil said they wanted to give people that choice. The two will obviously have price difference so its more about what the customer wants and their budget.

Reppu

Neo Member
What if i choose staying at 1080p and get this device,
Will it support guaranteed 60 fps at that resolution?
Any information about that?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Scorpio games could be downgraded to run on Xbox One.

What incentive would people have to buy games on the Scorpio then? Having better graphics? I don't think people would invest in a Scorpio if the exact same games are available between the consoles. The graphics won't be a gen jump, I believe we're talking about the differences between medium settings and high/ultra when it comes to visual fidelity. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like it's a mistake on Microsoft's part and Scorpio is a big gamble that may not pay off.

AmyS

Xenon - In the the HD Era

6if6syP.jpg

Scorpio - Beyond Generations

J2BipvR.jpg

What if i choose staying at 1080p and get this device?

That's up to the dev and what kind of graphical flourishes (or ai behavior/game features) they add to the game. There is no guarantee on something like framerate; it's not some promise by MS.

Also interesting was when Larry asked Phil about people choosing to wait for Scorpio vs XB1 S. Phil said they wanted to give people that choice. The two will obviously have price difference so its more about what the customer wants and their budget.

Exactly. Everyone can play on the device they can afford. I don't get the hate.

Then PS4K.5 will be $399 in 2018 with 25% more GPU power than Scorpio

I can feel that cycle

Good. This will lead to more online fan boy wars, which will lead to increased cases of carpal tunnel, which will lead to less fanboy wars.

My logic is undeniable, sound, and completely rational.

mjp2417

Banned
What if i choose staying at 1080p and get this device,

I would actually be pretty surprised if more than a handful of AAA games ultimately target 4K. I could see Forza 7 because it will probably be one of the big launch games and it is certainly feasible for that series, but I doubt it will be the norm.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I think Consoles going the way of PC is a good thing for pure console owners, but a bad thing for hardcore PC gamers.
Not sure how this is "going the way of PC". Last I checked, neither the Scorpio or Neo offered modular hardware components. Unless you just mean "less time between upgrades" and "more expensive to remain current"... which is more the Mac/phone/tablet model, than desktop PC gaming.

Quotient

But your point is,,,,,pointless, scorpio is not out yet, hell according to the youtube stream MS only told devs about it weeks ago..

The bolded aspect is interesting and the feeling that i got from the press conference. The specifications Microsoft mentioned are most likely the target specs, there is no guarantee that those will be the final specification, they could be better or they could be worse. The fact they had nothing tangible to say besides 6TF is telling in itself. I've said this before, but scorpio and the announcement today are microsoft's 'panicked' reaction to the leaks about Sony's neo.

PS5

Neo Member
Welp, the head of Microsoft First Party just told Keighley they announced Scorpio to give the developers a heads up.

Bash at Sony?

dr_rus

Please, educate us all?

The teraflops can't be different because these are just peak throughput numbers which are counted in the exact same way. The perceived difference comes from the fact that AMD GPUs are more bottlenecked by the frontend and backend stuff (the h/w which sits before and after SIMDs like schedulers, geometry setup engines, tessellators, ROPs, memory controllers, etc.) and thus their real world processing h/w utilization is lower than that of NV. This has been changing slowly lately in part thanks to GCN console h/w influencing how the games code is balanced against the capabilities of h/w - and AMD teraflops utilization were moving closer to that of NV thanks to this. I won't be too surprised if by the time of Scorpio's launch the real world performance will be pretty similar between the same TF rated AMD and NV GPUs.

Atheerios

Microsoft just confirmed in the YouTube show that devs can decide if their new games are compatible with Xbox One or Scorpio exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom