• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jo Cox (Labour MP) stabbed, shot dead in Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Britain fucking last right now. Jesus fucking Christ.

I'm not far from where it happened. She's not my local MP, but she always seemed to be a really good MP and thought she was a shoe in for a shadow cabinet position down the line. Really hope she pulls through.

Of course Brexit voters are screaming false flag on twitter. Fuck me someone just got fucking shot you insensitive fucks.

Like, even though I'm on the Remain side of things, literally nothing feels good about this. I want this whole thing to fuck off if it's just going to draw out crazy wankers like this. She's got children for fuck's sake. :/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I hope she recovers. Nobody should have to die for doing their job.

Hazzuh

Of course Brexit voters are screaming false flag on twitter. Fuck me someone just got fucking shot you insensitive fucks.

I do think it's important not to jump to conclusions before we hear from the police or some totally reliable source. Things can be chaotic straight after something like that.

Vagabundo

That's nuts. UK mainland was the last place I expected to see this shite.

I haven't been keeping up with UK politics since Gordon Brown's Labour where in. There seems to have been a massive swing to the right over there.

Lagamorph

Sky reporting that Jo wasn't the one who intervened, she was in a scuffle with a man and a bystander intervened, which is when the man produced the gun and fired twice.

Lagamorph

The whole incident lasted about 15 to 20 minutes according to witness Mr Abdallah, and another bystander told him Ms Cox had also been stabbed.

He added: "He was kicking her and he was pulling her by her hair. A very courageous man from the dry cleaners tried to restrain him and he couldn't stop him because all of a sudden he pulled a gun. She was a standing still target for him when he shot her."

http://news.sky.com/story/1712952/live-mp-jo-cox-critical-after-being-shot

From my previous post:
It's a club for racist idiots. From their site:
Britain First is a patriotic political party and street defence organisation.

There's also "Britain Furst" which is the satirical version of their views.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Picture
stream_img.jpg

Sky News now saying they've without knowing it been showing an image of the man responsible. Pic is of two cops standing by him as he's sat on ground, againt wall. The man appears to be caucasian.

Mindwipe

This is horrendous :-( I hope she pulls through, for goodness sake this is someone's life here.

And yes, it's going to be a utter, utter shitshow if any of these reports are true, but the important thing is her survival at this point.

Cannot stand Sky/Kay Burley, but they get eyewitness news a hell of a lot quicker than BBC.

That's because BBC News policy is that the only give information if they have two confirmed sources (or a report from a trusted news agency and another source.

Sky go live with anything, which has gone very very wrong sometimes.

BBC tends to be more cautious with breaking news situations. Imagine they reported the Britain first stuff then it turned out to be nonsense they'd be crucified.

That's because BBC News policy is that the only give information if they have two confirmed sources (or a report from a trusted news agency and another source.

Sky go live with anything, which has gone very very wrong sometimes.

Yeah, I suspected that was the case. But couldn't they cover themselves by saying something akin to Unconfirmed reports say, etc.

Acorn

Yeah, I suspected that was the case. But couldn't they cover themselves by saying something akin to Unconfirmed reports say, etc.
Nah, the bbc has too many enemies. They have to be extremely cautious and honestly I think it works out better than other channels throwing out everything.

Apologies for the question given the timing and all, but when was the last time something like this actually happened here?

Mindwipe

Apologies for the question given the timing and all, but when was the last time something like this actually happened here?

You could probably argue the IRA as something similar.

There have been a few incidents of MPs being attacked at their surgeries, but nothing as serious as this.

Edit: True, Stephen Timms. Though my recollection is that wasn't as life threatening as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom