• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Wii U E3 2016 Gameplay Frame-Rate Test

Why do people get so upset about a site analyzing the performance of a game still in development? They aren't making authoritative claims about how it will end up, just giving us a look at how things currently are and how it's progressing as it matures. Is it out of a desire to defend a game or series you love from any media coverage that puts it in a less positive light? I don't get it.

KingBroly

Banned
I would be very surprised if that were the case. Getting more people to buy the NX takes priority, and having a hot brand new Zelda at launch helps that. If any version is going to be sold later it will be the Wii U version like they did with TP.

I don't think they can sell the Wii U version later at this point. Not if there are big differences between the two performance wise. With TP, they both ran pretty much the same, although I'd say the GC version ran worse, but it was only in 1 area.

With NX, you're likely getting a better version of Zelda and probably at a cheaper price if you want to buy a system to play it.

R00bot

Gosh why does Nintendo always get away with releasing unfinished and crappy games full of bugs and performance issues? Shit's unacceptable in 2016.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I understand you're involved in this article, so could you please answer my (honest) question posted a couple of pages before?

I really don't get the technical background of this analysis. :-\
Ah, well, our tools have evolved and are quite advanced at this point. We can analyze anything including compressed video. I requires a bit of adjustment during still scenes (hand adjustment) but it's completely accurate. Those results are coupled with my own experience of playing the game were such performance issues were extremely evident.

Again, it's just a first look piece just to give people an idea of how it's running at this point in time.

Turrican3

First of all, thanks for the explanation.

By the way, I was not claiming/implying the game in its current status has no issues, I was just wondering - but again, this is an honest uncertainty on my part, with little to no specific background knowledge on the matter - how accurate would be analyzing *that* kind of source.

For example, do we know (and most of all, would it make a difference) whether Nintendo just called a day and uploaded the twitch stream on Youtube or did they actually recorded video material from their own production control room?
(I am assuming you used the former as source)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
First of all, thanks for the explanation.

By the way, I was not claiming/implying the game in its current status has no issues, I was just wondering - but again, this is an honest uncertainty on my part, with little to no specific background knowledge on the matter - how accurate would be analyzing *that* kind of source.

For example, do we know (and most of all, would it make a difference) whether Nintendo just called a day and uploaded the twitch stream on Youtube or did they actually recorded video material from their own production control room?
(I am assuming you used the former as source)
Well, I believe it to be accurate based on the fact that we see completely even frame pacing from the 720p60 source. When a source is ruined by improper uploading and encoding, that's almost always the first thing to go. I'm 100% certain that their footage is accurate and represents what was playable as I saw exactly the same performance characteristics in person.

Truth be told, the only time compression becomes a real issue for analysis is when dealing with lots of tearing. That usually requires hours of manual tear insertion and examination of the heat-map, among other things.

That's the thing with all of this, while our tools do a very good job, we also check frames individually and can view each frame using ten or so different views.

Basically, what I'm saying is that what you're seeing there is representative of the game's performance in this case and I wouldn't have published it if it were not.

We'll have direct-feed at some point, hopefully, and will be able to do further testing.

Top Bottom