• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Wii U E3 2016 Gameplay Frame-Rate Test

heringer

Am I the only one getting this on WiiU? I don't buy consoles at launch and I don't know if I can wait to play Breath of the Wild.

takriel

Am I the only one getting this on WiiU? I don't buy consoles at launch and I don't know if I can wait to play Breath of the Wild.

If the NX version has substantially improved visuals then I will buy the NX version day one. This game deserves to be played in the best way possible imo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heh, I'll probably end up with both. I bought the GC version of Twilight Princess in addition to the Wii version, after all.

jett

D-Member
As he said, Nintendo likes to optimize their games early in development, so this could be a concern. But maybe because they have all the modern stuff in there they have to optimize later.

Summary:
- 1280x720
- No AA or AF
- Targets 30fps
- Dips in Combat and when fire happens, moreso in Combat, tends to smooth out somewhat quickly

I dunno, it looks blurry enough to have some sort of post-AA.

There are some direct-feed pictures here.

modal_ss_05.jpg

edit: just noticed that screen isn't full 720p, hah nm. I actually wonder if the game is sub-HD on the Wii U. I insist, it looks kinda blurry.

RodentBR

Neo Member

I'll buy it on Wii U. After buying Wii U at the launch, I'll wait to see how NX turns out before purchasing it.

LordOfChaos

Doubt it, hopefully they can eek out 1080p for the final product at the very least.

They're not going to find 217% the rendertime even in 9 months of extra development.

I think 720p/30 for the Wii U is just going to be it, what we can hope for is them actually adding AF, and maybe hopefully squeeze in some AA too.

Some people here are jumping to conclusion when the drops are minor and the game still has another year to go in development.

People seems to forget that the Wii U has a second screen that it has to render with some games running at 60fps and is short of rendering at 900p.

If you run two 1080p monitors but only run a game on one, that's nowhere remotely near the GPU rendering at 2K. The second screen is usually simple stuff like a map, buttons, inventory, etc. Not the same as the main game rendering load, which is 720p. You can't just add them together and say the Wii U is remotely near doing 900p.

MCN

Banned

I've stopped buying consoles day 1, so I'll get the Wii U version first, then eventually double-dip for the NX version when I buy one.

Ombala

Well I'm not buying a WiiU so I hope the NX gets a better version.
1080p
AA and high AF
Much better textures
More vibrant colors
Much smoother characters with more polys
Stable framerates.
Better lighting

Lynx_7

I'll be getting the Wii U version too. One of the few reasons for me to still own the system and I certainly won't be buying the NX anytime soon if at all.

jett

D-Member
Well I'm not buying a WiiU so I hope the NX gets a better version.
1080p
AA and high AF
Much better textures
More vibrant colors
Much smoother characters with more polys
Stable framerates.
Better lighting

Hopefully the rumors of the NX being less powerful than PS4/Xbone don't pan out. It'd be cool if this game could be 60fps.

takriel

Hopefully the rumors of the NX being less powerful than PS4/Xbone don't pan out. It'd be cool if this game could be 60fps.

I really doubt that this game will run at 60 fps on NX. Best we can hope for is 1080p with stable 30 fps and a few other enhancements. Which would be totally fine by me.

Rodin

modal_ss_05.jpg

edit: just noticed that screen isn't full 720p, hah nm. I actually wonder if the game is sub-HD on the Wii U. I insist, it looks kinda blurry.
Here, post 41. 720p lossless PNGs. http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=207137748

The op from that thread should really consider switching those images because people keep posting the shitty cropped screens in the first post and think the game is sub 720p.

I wonder how feasible it is to expect 60 fps even if the hardware is at PS4 level.
Looking at MGS V, it's not impossible. But who knows.

dark10x

A graphical analysis for a demo of an unfinished game. Makes perfect sense...
It does, actually, as I explained above.

It's just a snapshot of the game in progress. No judgement is being passed. It's interesting to see how games evolve with time and I feel it's worthwhile having these metrics handy when the game finally launches.

jett

D-Member
I really doubt that this game will run at 60 fps on NX. Best we can hope for is 1080p with stable 30 fps and a few other enhancements. Which would be totally fine by me.

I wonder how feasible it is to expect 60 fps even if the hardware is at PS4 level.

It depens on the power of the NX. I mean this is just a Wii U game after all.

Here, post 41. 720p lossless PNGs. http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=207137748

The op from that thread should really consider switching those images because people keep posting the shitty cropped screens in the first post and think the game is sub 720p.

Looking at MGS V, it's not impossible. But who knows.

Cool, then it looks like it's using post-AA to me. BTW the screens in the OP are from Nintendo's website so it's not like it's anybody's fault :p

Rodin

It does, actually, as I explained above.

It's just a snapshot of the game in progress. No judgement is being passed. It's interesting to see how games evolve with time and I feel it's worthwhile having these metrics handy when the game finally launches.
I wanted to ask you, what do you think they're using for reflections? They looked static in a few places but then i saw that in one gif Link deflects a beam with his shield and the reflection on the floor follows it back; in another one, a meteor falls down and when it's about to land on the ground you can see its reflection in the water (which was particularly impressive considering it was like miles away from the player).

Cool, then it looks like it's using post-AA to me. BTW the screens in the OP are from Nintendo's website so it's not like it's anybody's fault :p
Yeah if anything it's Nintendo's fault, i don't know what they were thinking when they released those screens lol.

Anyway, the game does use some edge smoothing AA.

Ulysses 31

When it comes to BotW WiiU vs NX I´m expecting to see a TP Wii to TP HD kinda jump but hoping for a Wind Waker GC to Wind Waker HD one. >.>

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Alot of folks seem to think that Twilight Princess is best on the Gamecube even though the Wii version improved a number of things. Should be interesting to see if this works out the same way.

I haven't made a decision. There's no rush after all, the game isn't out until march.

I can't make a Wii U or NX decision until I know what on earth NX is, how much it costs, what gimmick it has, and how BOTW looks on NX vs Wii U.

geordiemp

modal_ss_05.jpg

When I first saw Zelda it reminded me of this AA solution on Ps3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-anti-aliasing-effect-article

The use of quincunx and the impact on overall image quality varies game by game - intricately detailed textures will suffer much more than a more flat, anime style of art.

Back in the day many called it the vaseline filter

-Horizon-

I´m probably getting both special editions and digital editions! <.<
Dang.

Assuming there are special editions, those will probably go for $80-$90 if the XenoX and #FE special editions are anything to go by. Add $120 for both digital versions = RIP in peace wallet lol

dark10x

I wanted to ask you, what do you think they're using for reflections? They looked static in a few places but then i saw that in one gif Link deflects a beam with his shield and the reflection on the floor follows it back; in another one, a meteor falls down and when it's about to land on the ground you can see its reflection in the water (which was particularly impressive considering it was like miles away from the player).
I'm not 100% sure based on the video. While I played the game for 30 minutes, the demo was so large that I never really encountered much in the way of reflections. They could be using any number of techniques here but I agree that it does look quite nice.

Hoping to get another hands-on at some point soon!

Looking at various shots, if accurate, I could agree but what I played was unbelievably aliased. The TV situation certainly made things much worse, though.

ZombAid82

I don't even think the game launches on the same day as the NX, first they gonna sell the first batch of consoles, and by the time the second wave of consoles is available, they gonna release this game.
It would make perfect sense, establishing first a userbase, so a lot people can buy it day 1.
But, I'm gonna be one of those suckers, who gets it on both :-(

dark10x

YT comments never cease to amaze. Apparently some folks dislike the music presented in the trailer claiming it to be the worst Zelda music to date. Nobody sane really thinks that, right? The sound in general is just beautiful in this game, I thought.

YT comments never cease to amaze. Apparently some folks dislike the music presented in the trailer claiming it to be the worst Zelda music to date. Nobody sane really thinks that, right? The sound in general is just beautiful in this game, I thought.

Yeah, they're nuts. BotW's music is sublime.

geordiemp

People need to get there eyes and ears tested - gameplay and music was fine Imo, just IQ that stood out

Do you think it has a quincunx type AA filter like you used to see in Ps3 games on DF ? It sure looks similar to early Ps3 games...

dark10x

People need to get there eyes and ears tested - gameplay and music was fine Imo, just IQ that stood out

Do you think it has a quincunx type AA filter like you used to see in Ps3 games on DF ? It sure looks similar to early Ps3 games...
Nah, I don't think so. Quincunx is comparable to MSAA in terms of resources required. It offers superior edge smoothing compared to 2x MSAA at the expense of additional blur. If Zelda were using that, the image quality would actually look a lot nicer.

I suspect it's just something similar to Mario 3D World - which sometimes appeared to lack any sort of AA but, in other situations, exhibited mild smoothing.

nubbe

Hyrule Warriors ruined classic Zelda music for everyone

Pinky

Banned
Can't wait to play this on NX.

I'm Hopeful that version will ultimately have:

1920 x 1080p
rock solid framerate, locked @ 30fps
both AA and AF
higher resolution textures
greater draw distance
improved shadows
more particle effects.

That sounds like a lot, but really isn't. The core assets would be basically the same.

This is what I'm hoping for too. The game already looks gorgeous on Wii U, but I can't wait to see what the NX version looks like. I really hope Nintendo takes advantage of the hardware to spice things up.

I'll be happy to play this on Wii U. If there are further scheduling shakeups such that the NX version is only a month behind, then maybe I'll reconsider.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, but it's not like Zelda needs high precision inputs

I was mostly joking, but there are no downsides to 60fps for any game. And even then I'm fairly sure bow aiming would be a lot smoother at 60, which would be lovely as it seems to be far more important this time around.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Totally agree with you takriel. If the NX version comes a little bit later, I'm prepared to wait.

I would be very surprised if that were the case. Getting more people to buy the NX takes priority, and having a hot brand new Zelda at launch helps that. If any version is going to be sold later it will be the Wii U version like they did with TP.

FyreWulff

It is always questionable for such matters what you define as the necessary lower bound for a need, but any bit higher is always nicer.

i mean, 60fps would be nice. but this is a game series that historically has had giant input-to-get-action windows even accounting for 30fps.

Mario definitely needs it for sure, MarioKart can never go back from 60fps ever, but Zelda is one of those games I think I care more for world complexity than world speed, so 30fps Zelda is fine to me personally because the tradeoff of a more complex world is worth it to me. That's just a fact on finite fixed hardware.

Top Bottom