• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Let's Play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch

Looking back at the first footage from 2014, everything felt much more saturated, more like a Miyazaki film. All of the recent footage is washed-out. That bothers me much more than the low-res textures and lumpy terrain.

I want this Zelda again:
tlozwiiu2015.905f1115438.original.jpg

Maybe in 2025.

III-V

Why are we talking about it then? Only a 1:1 comparison matters imo.

Only because we would expect similar asset density (no necessarily grass) in other areas, not just the initial reveal.

Likely this scene is a grasslands, and we should expect a higher grass density than say a desert region, but considering what we have seen elsewhere texture-wise even, I doubt this area still looks the same.

Occam's razor and all that jazz.

III-V

I have a feeling this will be the excuse for a lot of initial games. But the reality is this will probably be the only Zelda on this console, and another won't come for 3-5 more years.

Mario Odyssey should be the real indicator of what the hardware can accomplish - this is not a port.

_woLf

They bring up a good point that a majority of what we've seen is 720p or 900p. It sounds like the severe hardware restrictions are limiting them from creating a good looking 1080p game, so they should focus on creating a good looking handheld experience....

But yet Reggie and the rest of Nintendo keep saying it's first and foremost a home console. Seems backwards.

bargeparty

Only because we would expect similar asset density (no necessarily grass) in other areas, not just the initial reveal.

Likely this scene is a grasslands, and we should expect a higher grass density than say a desert region, but considering what we have seen elsewhere texture-wise even, I doubt this area still looks the same.

Occam's razor and all that jazz.

Why would you expect the same asset density from two differently designed areas? Would you compare a forest and a desert?

Looking back at the first footage from 2014, everything felt much more saturated, more like a Miyazaki film. All of the recent footage is washed-out. That bothers me much more than the low-res textures and lumpy terrain.

I want this Zelda again:

Target render. We've been burnt on that a million times, we should know better by now.

Mario Odyssey should be the real indicator of what the hardware can accomplish - this is not a port.

It might be an early build but that game might be even less impressive than Zelda especially running at 720p currently. That city looks horrendous

I feel this has been discussed before. People came to the conclusion Nintendo's capture software for that game was lacking and in reality it looks more vibrant.

Doesn't the video in the OP blow this up? You'd assume Digital Foundry uses its own capture software so they can count frames and such. And that's what they do so I doubt they'd screw up saturation.

III-V

Why would you expect the same asset density from two differently designed areas? Would you compare a forest and a desert?

You quoted me saying, I do not expect the same asset density in all regions - so that should answer your first question.

To rephrase what I have said is that it was unlikely that we were shown the region with the highest asset density only in the initial reveal and then never again.

That is what does not make sense.

It might be an early build but that game might be even less impressive than Zelda especially running at 720p currently. That city looks horrendous

I think they have over-stylized it on purpose. I do not think it was meant to look like The Division.

I have some really high hopes for this game. A return to Mario Sunshine with HD graphics will really be a treat.

Alpha_eX

Had horrible framedrop when hitting grass with the big axe, it was horrifically bad and just made me want to stop playing, hoping it was an early demo and not representive of the final game.

Disappointing, if that makes it in to the final game I'll wait for a patch before playing.

III-V

Had horrible framedrop when hitting grass with the big axe, it was horrifically bad and just made me want to stop playing, hoping it was an early demo and not representive of the final game.

Disappointing, if that makes it in to the final game I'll wait for a patch before playing.

wait, when was this?

Alpha_eX

wait, when was this?
When I played it on Friday. It was shocking, I just put it down to an old build, not sure if it was. I stopped playing after it happened a few times.

When it's fluid, it's great but the bigger issue is the super awkward placement of the run and jump buttons, had to use two fingers to run and jump.

Chaplain

Maybe in 2025.

We now know that Nintendo will probably be a generation or two behind. This means that we have good indicators of what type of hardware will be inside each future version of the Switch.

Switch 2 - Xbox One Hardware (2019/20)
Switch 3 - PS4 Hardware (2023/24)
Switch 4 - PS4 Pro Hardware (2027/28)

So, your 2025 date seems about right.

III-V

When I played it on Friday. It was shocking, I just put it down to an old build, not sure if it was. I stopped playing after it happened a few times.

When it's fluid, it's great but the bigger issue is the super awkward placement of the run and jump buttons, had to use two fingers to run and jump.

Are you talking docked with two joy cons in grip or ungripped or pro controller.

bargeparty

You quoted me saying, I do not expect the same asset density in all regions - so that should answer your first question.

To rephrase what I have said is that it was unlikely that we were shown the region with the highest asset density only in the initial reveal and then never again.

That is what does not make sense.

Eh, not really. All you said was that we haven't seen an area with that sort of grass density (but we kinda have). The super recent stuff not really, it's all been the plateau area I believe (outside of trailers).

So you responded to my question with "we" and I addressed the "we" with my next question. Not necessarily you personally, but you were speaking for the people who throw up that comparison as downgrade fuel.

I'm just saying it's stupid to not do direct comparisons.

That's all, no need to linger on it.

But talking about that initial reveal again. Is all we have that terrible quality video? I haven't look too much. I found a nice big image, but when you blow it up, it doesn't look great. I don't think there's anything in that trailer that doesn't "exist" in the game today. Asset quality and all that are there imo. I would say that area might not exist or be exactly the same as the trailer (we know this stuff changes during development), but I think the IQ is doable on the switch (with BotW no less).

I don't know why GAF keeps going down the same road, jumping to conclusions ahead of release, using poor quality screenshots and videos to try and prove a point, comparing non similar scenarios/areas/lighting/etc.

Alpha_eX

Are you talking docked with two joy cons in grip or ungripped or pro controller.
It was docked.. played with a pro-controller (which is amazing btw) on a giant TV. No input lag or anything noticeable with the TV hardware, it ran smooth at times and it was a joy, but hitting the grass areas just made me die inside.

It has at least a month left in dev, so hopefully this is ironed out.

I'd rather play on a smaller screen though, it looked really bad up close on a big screen.

Don't mean to put a downer, I loved the game but the lag was atrocious. Thought I'd activated bullet time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was docked.. played with a pro-controller (which is amazing btw) on a giant TV. No input lag or anything noticeable with the TV hardware, it ran smooth at times and it was a joy, but hitting the grass areas just made me die inside.

It has at least a month left in dev, so hopefully this is ironed out.

I'd rather play on a smaller screen though, it looked really bad up close on a big screen.

I played it at the London event, and if the event you went to was that, or anything similar to that, I'd say the seat were far too close to the TV. You wouldn't play that close at home.

I only got a few minutes on the demo since I left it to the very end. I didn't notice a drop when I ran through a really grassy area, so it wasn't just you.

I want this Zelda again:

Well, BoTW isn't exactly that image, but captures of the Switch version are so much more vibrant, even despite still appearing a little washed out, that I'm chalking up BoTW's lack of vibrancy in previous showings to Wii U's inability to output Full RGB.

Alpha_eX

I played it at the London event, and if the event you went to was that, or anything similar to that, I'd say the seat were far too close to the TV. You wouldn't play that close at home.

I only got a few minutes on the demo since I left it to the very end. I didn't notice a drop when I ran through a really grassy area, so it wasn't just you.

Same event, though I hit the grass with the axe, running through didn't seem half as bad.

I sat/stood the same distance from all the other games and they looked great. At home, I sit about 2 meters from my TV.

I'm still getting the game day one, I assume it was an old build rather than a new one exclusive for this tour.

I could have been just very unlucky in hitting the grass during a load or spawn. It just was highly noticeable.

LordOfChaos

Target render. We've been burnt on that a million times, we should know better by now.

Whenever something like that was said around the original reveal, Nintendogaf started saying Nintendo never does bullshots and stuff like that. We definitely should have known better, agreed.

Zemm

The Switch has great graphics for a portable console, but when you dock it and play on a tv then it's probably lacking compared to a PS4/PS4 Pro, even an Xbox one.

I feel like a lot of games (probably most) are going to look better on the portable than the docked version.

uh no, they masterfully execute more of a pixar art style. and what's with this constant binary. 'properly' or improperly'? things can be better than other things, but calling something improper or wrong, what even is the point you're trying to make?

that games can have non realistic art styles AND good tech. they arent mutually exclusive. stop making excuses for nintendo

kubev

I'm not sure if this has been answered/explained by anyone yet, but is there legitimately a change to the internal resolution of a game when the Switch is undocked, or is the image displayed on the Switch simply a downsampled image based on the docked resolution? The reason I ask is because it's my understanding that there are level of detail differences between docked and undocked mode in some games, which makes sense given the clock speed difference between the two modes. Is it possible that only level of detail is actually being affected to compensate for the downclock? I just find it interesting that the resolution change seems to happen so quickly, and I wonder if different engines may handle that transition worse than others.

uh no, they masterfully execute more of a pixar art style. and what's with this constant binary. 'properly' or improperly'? things can be better than other things, but calling something improper or wrong, what even is the point you're trying to make?

let me crack open the GAFtionary for you

Proper |präpər|

synonyms - true, real

definition - 'the specific version of something that I like the most"

usage example: "That's a nice Fiat you got there. As for me? I only drive True, Proper European vehicles."

Justinian

Does Nintendo usually release day one patches for their first party games? If so, then they still have a bit of time to optimize the game further to reach the level of frame rate and polish people expect.

After watching a couple of guided demos of the game, it seems like there are fewer and less severe frame rate drops compared to the demo build that everyone's been playing. Perhaps it's a slightly newer build?

PrimeBeef

Yes we should, but if this any any of the other BotW threads are any indication, it's that NeoGAF don't learn. Prior to the Switch event there was a bullshot thread and yet here were are seeing people upset over a bullshot.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
900p and still has framerate drops? lol. i'd rather it just run at 720p on both un/docked modes than put up with frame drops.

Necro900

I want this Zelda again:

Honestly it doesn't look THAT different. I still see the ugly barren hills in the distance.. as for the grass draw in the foreground, I don't know if you can even pull the camera that far from the character, so who knows if we'll be able to replicate this image.
The really "cool" thing that stands out is the fog, and I still haven't seen it in actual footage.

As for the washed out look, maybe captures were badly graded or not graded at all? It's usually the case for this type of captured footage on showfloors. Anyway, that's something that can be improved with some TV calibration, I guess

bud

the one thing that immediately sticks out only a few seconds into the video is just how bad the animations are.

at no point does it look like he's running through grass fields. it's like there's no connection between link and whatever he's running on or climbing.

stifness all around.

DekuLink

I want this Zelda again:
It'/ not that hard to get it to look like that (at least rhe colors) with some calibrations of your TV. As far as colors go I got that look when I watched the latest trailer on my TV.

spekkeh

Banned

This game man, can't wait to go to all those mountains, gaahh. Gerudo Valley on the right, Death Mountain on the left, so still the flipped world I guess (though in TP they were more directly opposite to each other). The mountain range in between is new?

BigEmil

The grass draw distance here is like 3x shorter than the reveal and also less stand out of each individual grass most grass around you looks flat or just green raised floor, definitely nowhere close as good as the reveal

It's clear the visuals have taken a step back since the 2014 reveal.

https://youtu.be/wGycTkDObf8

Granted, the game still looks good, but I can't help but wonder if the overall vision got so out of hand that Nintendo had no choice. The original reveal looked so much more lush.

Speaking of misplaced optimism, I couldn't help but chuckle at the "2015" at the end. Still, that this game runs at mostly 30FPS in a $300 portable device (one by Nintendo at that) is no small feat.

Top Bottom