• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III Code: VFD Review Thread

Sterok

Metacritic

GameCritics - 9.5/10

Being a bit soft on the narrative is a sin that many games commit, and while I’m generally a big story guy, 7th Dragon III: Code VFD performs so fantastically in all other aspects that I can’t scold it for not making me examine the human condition. For players who want an excellent RPG-lite or a nonstandard dungeon crawler, this game is the total package—it’s got some of the most entertaining mechanics I’ve seen in years, it’s a smooth as butter to play, and everything about it oozes polish. It’s not only going to be one of the best 3DS games released this year, but one of the best 3DS titles overall.

We Got This Covered - 4.5/5

Bursting with charming characters, gorgeous fantasy worlds and addictive turn-based combat, 7th Dragon III: Code VFD makes me wonder why Western gamers didn't see this series sooner.

Nintendo Life - 9/10

With top-class character customization, a delightfully different combat system and a slick nature-futuristic style, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD is a fantastic addition to the 3DS' JRPG library.

God is a Geek - 8.5/10

USgamer - 4/5

Despite some combat balancing issues and some occasionally too-linear design, 7th Dragon III offers a top-class portable role-playing experience. Thankfully, you don't need to be familiar with the unlocalized earlier games in the series to grasp the story, and its wealth of customization options make for a fairly breezy RPG experience... at least until you get to those brutal True Dragon fights, anyway.

NintendoWorldReport - 8/10

ZTGD - 8/10

Even though 7th Dragon III Code:VFD is the fourth title of this series, it’s our first official introduction to the franchise, and it makes a good case on the idea that this might be a little gem of a series that we’ve been missing out on for all these years. From its solid character customization to its strategic and enjoyable combat, it’s yet another great JRPG to grace the 3DS.

GameSpot - 8/10

Gamers' Temple - 79/100

Destructoid - 7/10

Again, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD isn't a game you want to get into if you aren't the type of person who puts a lot of time into party preparations. If you want a rich, engrossing story with unique characters that grow over time, turn around and walk away now, as this is very much a niche dungeon crawler that will only speak to specific members of the community. But for those people, it's a good enough RPG respite in the sense that it actually allows you to play a role in the way you see fit.

Cubed3 - 7/10

7th Dragon III Code: VFD doesn't deviate from the standard JRPG formula, but it does challenge players to think of unique ways to approach combat. With an interesting approach to classes and a unique visual flair, it's definitely earned its niche in the robust selection of JRPGs native to the 3DS. The story and characters aren't anything particularly special, but they do manage to hold their own. Despite its somewhat pedestrian fundamentals, it manages to strike a good balance between plot and a strangely captivating class system.

RPG Site - 6/10

Nintendo Everything

7th Dragon III: Code VFD is a perfectly fine game that’s fun for what it’s worth, but really doesn’t bring anything new or particularly exciting to the table. If you’re low on RPG games to play and looking for something new, it may scratch the itch until the next big thing that interests you is out.

Pleasantly surprised at the high scores it's getting, as japanese impressions were fairly middling.

Also, looking at rpgsite, I really hate it when reviewers go "If you like [lots of positive things people like in games] ... well then this game isn't for you" fucksakes stop getting me excited over nothing and tell me what the game is, rather than what it's not.

schopaia

Really wish Nintendo did a better job spreading out these RPG releases. Last year we got... an Etrian Odyssey remake? This year it's

3 Fire Emblems
2 (or 1?) Dragon Quests
Bravely Second
7th Dragon
Shin Megami Tensei Final
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Xenoblade X
Yokai Watch 2
Monster Hunter Stories (possibly)

Really wish Nintendo did a better job spreading out these RPG releases. Last year we got... an Etrian Odyssey remake? This year it's

3 Fire Emblems
2 (or 1?) Dragon Quests
Bravely Second
7th Dragon
Shin Megami Tensei Final
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Xenoblade X
Yokai Watch 2
Monster Hunter Stories (possibly)

Noooo way is MH Stories this year in the west. And it's not like Nintendo is in charge of 3rd-party releases. :p

And does 3 FEs count when all are just versions of one game?

rhandino

Banned
3 Fire Emblems
2 (or 1?) Dragon Quests It's totally going to be only VII this year
Bravely Second
7th Dragon
Shin Megami Tensei Final
Tokyo Mirage Sessions Wii U game and considering the gap between install bases... yeah.
Xenoblade X Same as above
Yokai Watch 2
Monster Hunter Stories (possibly) No, this is not happening this year... if it happen at all tbh
It is a balanced year tbh =/

And does 3 FEs count when all are just versions of one game?
To be fair they are very different games even if they reuse some assets between them, kind like the Oracle games of Zelda instead of the Pokemon games.

At least you can get the other 2 for cheap if you buy 1 game unlike the Zelda example =P

Escalario

Banned
Looks like the reviewers have finally recognized dungeon crawlers for what they are. This and the last 2/3 EO games reviews have been getting great scores. What a far cry from EO1 times.

Parham

Banned
Looking forward to trying this out. Order the game off of Amazon months ago and had totally forgotten it's going to be out soon.

Velcro Fly

Would love to play this maybe but so many RPGs on the 3DS this year and I'm already neck deep in backlog of them anyway.

What? I had no idea the reviews were going to be this good, considering the Japanese impressions. And no E3 pre-order for me. Oh well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Rather surprised at the scores. Playing the demo, I'm liking it more than EO (for one, it's not 1st person dungeon crawling & while I dislike 1st person battles & having to choose every action for your party before it takes effect, least there's actual animations of your characters doing attacks), but still not too sure if it's for me.

Was thinking of waiting for it to be $20, but with the Prime discount & the news of the DLC being free for the first week, maybe I'll get it to secure a launch copy & play it once I finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions & need a RPG to keep me busy until FF15.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
For those (very few) that are curious, I sent out review code for this game in mid-April. I've been actively trying to ensure reviewers really have enough time to pore through a JRPG given the dozens of hours they take, mostly so the reviews can be as in-depth as possible.

TriAceJP

I told you guys it was good!

It's pretty much a Persona game, but with a customizable team instead of actual Persona.

Meffer

They've announced 6 amiibo so far. No precedent for a game with amiibo support staying in Japan, and they're not going to to want to sit on those for too long.

Yeah, they want MH to be big and Stories will certainly help around the world.

mjc

For those (very few) that are curious, I sent out review code for this game in mid-April. I've been actively trying to ensure reviewers really have enough time to pore through a JRPG given the dozens of hours they take, mostly so the reviews can be as in-depth as possible.

Good on you, I feel like these kind of games need every bit of help they can to get decent mindshare among gamers.

One thing I want to bring up was that in the demo, I noticed the framerate would commonly "skip" I guess where a frame would pause for a split second. This happens every few seconds. Is this ironed out in the final build, and was this even in the Japanese version?

Shin-chan

Do you have any idea when Deep Silver will be announcing the European release date?

Kade

Impressive. For some reason, I expected this to be another Langrisser Re:Incarnation situation.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wish we had gotten the installments Kazuya Niinou were involved with, but I'm still getting the only 7th Dragon game to be localized for sure.

Impressive. For some reason, I expected this to be another Langrisser Re:Incarnation situation.

That doesn't make sense. This is a Sega produced (and for this game also developed) series produced by Rieko Kodama.

Kade

That doesn't make sense. This is a Sega produced (and for this game also developed) series produced by Rieko Kodama.

I understand that. I was holding off on this because I thought it was going to review similarly, for reasons unknown to me until I decide to dedicate time to thinking about how I came to that conclusion. I was interested in both games prior to their releases.

I'm not surprised at the review scores. This was my most anticipated release for the summer. The demo was fun, and it definitely left me wanting more.

I'm definitely picking up the launch edition next week.

Mik317

whoa. I preordered this as a token support of Sega actually localizing shit for once...

might even get a good game out of it

1upsuper

Kinda surprised that people are surprised at this game's praise. It's an established, somewhat popular series. Plus, the king of VGM is involved. It just hasn't been localised. I'm a big fan of its bigger brother, Etrian Odyssey, and I've been waiting years for 7D to finally hit the West.

spiritfox

Looks like the reviewers have finally recognized dungeon crawlers for what they are. This and the last 2/3 EO games reviews have been getting great scores. What a far cry from EO1 times.

7th Dragon is more a standard JRPG than a dungeon crawler. It does take cues from EO due to having the same original creator, but it lacks everything that will mark it as a dungeon crawler. Still, its a pretty good series, and this game looks decent so far.

Nice scores. Been keeping my eye on this. Is there any First Print bonus or pre-order bonus for it?

Edit: just found an unboxing on YouTube already :)

Beartruck

Crud, I've still barely started TMS #FE, and there's still this game and "I am Setsuna" this month. Hopefully I can finish them before FFXV comes out.

Sterok

Well, since I made this thread I may as well try out the demo. Seems fun. Battles could be a little faster, but it feels like a good JRPG otherwise. It's on my possible list now.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Again, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD isn't a game you want to get into if you aren't the type of person who puts a lot of time into party preparations.
Whats this mean exactly? The demo didn't give off the vibe of hardcore character building or anything.

Eusis

Wait, did Atlus have much to do with the localization, or just PR stuff?

. . . Makes me half wish the purchase happened when the original game was contemporary if even the PR boost is enough.

Top Bottom