• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III Code: VFD Review Thread

Really wish Nintendo did a better job spreading out these RPG releases. Last year we got... an Etrian Odyssey remake? This year it's

3 Fire Emblems
2 (or 1?) Dragon Quests
Bravely Second
7th Dragon
Shin Megami Tensei Final
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Xenoblade X
Yokai Watch 2
Monster Hunter Stories (possibly)

Only half of those had Nintendo involvement.

Unless of course you mean Nintendo should start manhandling 3rd parties again like it's the S/NES days and force them to delay JRPG releases to pad out the schedule.

Ponn

Banned
I can only get one game this month, choices were mainly this or MH Generations. I went ahead and preordered this after playing the demos for both. The preorder bonus for MH is a theme which I have enough on my 3DS. I like the idea of free DLC the first week and the demo bonuses sound pretty nice and of course the art book. The game itself playing the demo felt pretty good. It's weird to try and describe, individual aspects of the game felt generic or done before but bringing them together felt fresh in a way. The reviews coming in make me feel correct in my overall feelings where it seems like a pretty good average game. I'm not sure when I will get to it with my backlog between 3DS and Vita but I don't mind getting it day one with all the bonus stuff, supporting games i like and that Prime new game discount.

spiritfox

Whats this mean exactly? The demo didn't give off the vibe of hardcore character building or anything.

It's more party set up than individual characters. Later on you can set up a second party, and the people there provide different effects based on class. Several classes also have skills that work well with each other.

How does this compares to Etrian Odyssey Untold storywise?

It's a standard JRPG story. There are overt references to previous 7D games but they don't really dwell too much on it.

I can only get one game this month, choices were mainly this or MH Generations. I went ahead and preordered this after playing the demos for both. The preorder bonus for MH is a theme which I have enough on my 3DS. I like the idea of free DLC the first week and the demo bonuses sound pretty nice and of course the art book. The game itself playing the demo felt pretty good. It's weird to try and describe, individual aspects of the game felt generic or done before but bringing them together felt fresh in a way. The reviews coming in make me feel correct in my overall feelings where it seems like a pretty good average game. I'm not sure when I will get to it with my backlog between 3DS and Vita but I don't mind getting it day one with all the bonus stuff, supporting games i like and that Prime new game discount.

I was initially psyched about MH Generations, but I'm giving it a pass for now. MH4U is still active, and I have actually been going back to obtain the DLC gear. It feels too soon for more Monster Hunter, when I am still having fun with the previous game.

7th Dragon III is the most appealing game for me at the moment.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wait, did Atlus have much to do with the localization, or just PR stuff?

. . . Makes me half wish the purchase happened when the original game was contemporary if even the PR boost is enough.

Atlus USA is now part of Sega over here, they announced it a few months ago. These games are under the same umbrella even if they still use the brands separately.

Vex_

Banned
Hmm just looked at some videos of this game since I've never heard of it....

The character models look oddly familiar... those feet..... hmmmmmm.

Eusis

Atlus USA is now part of Sega over here, they announced it a few months ago. These games are under the same umbrella even if they still use the brands separately.
Doesn't mean there can't be separate localization crews.

Though given Sega's localization efforts in recent years... Yeah. This is better than some of Atlus's pickups too admittedly.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
When the announcement was made it sounded more like Atlus USA was already working on Sega games like this and Yakuza.

nikos

This game's style always caught my eye when I'd see it posted. Just started the demo and it's fun so far. I'm playing more RPGs than I could ever finish at the moment, but none on the 3DS. If I have fun with the demo, I think I'll pick it up. Launch Edition extras also look nice.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Wait, did Atlus have much to do with the localization, or just PR stuff?

. . . Makes me half wish the purchase happened when the original game was contemporary if even the PR boost is enough.

Alright, so this may get confusing, but let me try to explain:

Atlus as a company had nothing to do with the localization. Since this was a SEGA title, all the oversight/approvals/what have you all were handled by SEGA.

The confusing part is this: there is a lot of overlap for the marketing and production staff at Atlus USA.

So yeah, like Null Pointer said, staff who have previously worked on ATLUS titles did the translation and editing for this game. Just like how I'm doing some SEGA PR. It's just handled differently because the two companies still very much have their own brand identities.

What does this mean overall? Not much, really - other than it's basically how we're able to start localizing some of the previously Japan-locked titles and bringing them over to the west. It's working really well so far, as far as I can tell!

mjc

Just finished the demo, took me about 45 mins give or take. Not sure how I feel about the combat system quite yet, but it seemed fun. I'll definitely give the full game a shot.

Top Bottom