• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

I'm totally fine with the next Nintendo console with iPhone 6s type performance. If iPod touch can be $199, then Nintendo can do it too. I hope it can do 1080p/60, but not even PS4 and Xbox One can do it so it'll probably have to be 720 or 900p.

LCGeek

formerly sane
so does this kinda match what you know? without getting yourself in trouble or anything can you tell us anything else? If its too risky i totally get it.

I posted in the nvidia thread and the phillips speculation was more right than the amd side. I'm not risking shit considering the stink people are involving me in that I've been dead set against hyping and exactly because of a day like this. People should still be questioning obvious financials cause nintendo is making quite an exotic setup.

There are other nuggets that were mentioned networking/streaming wise that have never once been disagreed about, though that won't make most gamers happy. I'm not most, I was a mixed bag in May but August alone should be interesting from what I'm hearing again. Some are focused on sept, which is cool but if more real info will come out to really see who has good knowledge august devkits leaks will happen like crazy if some people want to keep their reps. Which is odd cause nintendo could've made their E3 more interesting, seems mid year hijinx for PR.

While some people may feel one group has to fall on their swords that's not what's really happening. Not only that there is no finality to the a very fluid SKU. Maybe in this thread most people involved can be sensible till nintendo makes up their mind, its clear they are juggling things.

nelchaar

Super excited for this. As someone who frequently travels, I am ecstaticly waiting the possibility of playing the new Zelda on the road.

rekameohs

Banned
I'm totally fine with the next Nintendo console with iPhone 6s type performance. If iPod touch can be $199, then Nintendo can do it too. I hope it can do 1080p/60, but not even PS4 and Xbox One can do it so it'll probably have to be 720 or 900p.
1080p is overkill for a handheld, and it'd dramatically weaken how graphically intense games are. 720p's plenty, frankly that might be pushing it too, but we can be hopeful. I mean, Jesus, the 3DS is 240p; it's gonna be a stark difference.

Well, this will be more powerful than the Wii U.

It's also a portable device

And not just portable one the Weird Wii U pictures. Fully portable. Mind boggling stuff from one perspective, underwhelming from another. Sort of inevitable, but still very suitable for Nintendo's niche (which probably won't last much longer but I digress).

LCGeek

formerly sane
1080p is overkill for a handheld, and it'd dramatically weaken how graphically intense games are. 720p's plenty, frankly that might be pushing it too, but we can be hopeful. I mean, Jesus, the 3DS is 240p; it's gonna be a stark difference.

720p with a high dot pitch as most mobile units have compared to say 20" screens can easily provide a good image. 720p blown up on bigger tvs is another matter, but it's not like we aren't doing that already with WiiU.

ZOONAMI

Nintendo's comments on competition stealing their ideas is somewhat strange, as the ps4 and vita pretty much do the same exact thing with remote play, even if it isn't perfect and it's 2 different systems, the idea of playing the same games on the go and at home is very much already a reality.

There's more to the story here I think.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You know there are TWO controllers attached right?

I feel like they are saying its two controller pieces (like wii remote and nunchuk) rather than 2 seperate controllers. A singular wii remote can function on its own, but it can be pair up with another controller peripheral too.

StereoVsn

Whatever the final hardware turns out to be it simply can't be more then $250 for handheld package and $300 for the console dock bundle. It would be suicidal for them to charge more (see 3DS before price drop and WiiU in general).

Whether they can manage to include custom X1 or X2, it has to make financial sense. As far as final design lock, it's all very similar hardware and I am sure they are working very closely with Nvidia and their foundry partner. Look at the Sony changing to 8gb VRAM at last moment.

Jimrpg

1080p is overkill for a handheld, and it'd dramatically weaken how graphically intense games are. 720p's plenty. I mean, Jesus, the 3DS is 240p; it's gonna be a stark difference

Sure 720p is fine for handhelds, my iPhone 6 screen is great but I was hoping 1080p for tv output. 720p is really dated, I've been playing Yakuza 5 and it looks old as heck.

It would be weird to output at 720p for handheld then 1080p for tv, I'm guessing they will settle on one resolution rather than having varied performance. In some ways it's like Mario Kart 8 where it drops to 30fps in 3-4 multiplayer mode. It just not as good as 60fps in single player mode.

Anyone hoping for VC backwards compatibility?

What are your expectations for the NX Virtual Console?
GG, NES, GB, GBC, TG16, N64, SNES games should be expected, no?

If they do not offer BC, would we see an upgrade option?

StereoVsn

Anyone hoping for VC backwards compatibility?

What are your expectations for the NX Virtual Console?
GG, NES, GB, GBC, TG16, N64, SNES games should be expected, no?

If they do not offer BC, would we see an upgrade option?
Don't see BC for Wii/WiiU games but I very much hope that BC for Virtual Console games comes in. DS should be added to above list as well.

Being able to take Mario Maker anywhere and just plop it on a table and have friends play it wherever.... goddamn

I said GODDAMN

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sure 720p is fine for handhelds, my iPhone 6 screen is great but I was hoping 1080p for tv output. 720p is really dated, I've been playing Yakuza 5 and it looks old as heck.

It would be weird to output at 720p for handheld then 1080p for tv, I'm guessing they will settle on one resolution rather than having varied performance. In some ways it's like Mario Kart 8 where it drops to 30fps in 3-4 multiplayer mode. It just not as good as 60fps in single player mode.

There are tons of reasons why 720p looks like shit on a flat panel and on top when it's forced in to 1080p resolution. Gamers would be better off just getting a 1440 display and proper scaler than forcing it on to 1080 screen since you can never scale the two properly.

Performance should also drop on any machine generating 2-3 more instances of the same world at the same time and has to render another stream of resolution for those people. Even on pc when it's allowed it's the same short of having really good hardware, I say that being part of lightboost pc gaf.

Hakai

I feel like they are saying its two controller pieces (like wii remote and nunchuk) rather than 2 seperate controllers. A singular wii remote can function on its own, but it can be pair up with another controller peripheral too.

But he even points out that it is for multiplayer.

Jimrpg

My question to Nintendo would be why detachable controllers? The only thing I can think of would be different controllers for different type of games. It wouldn't really be for convienience unless the NX is also used as an everyday mobile phone.

StereoVsn

There are tons of reasons why 720p looks like shit on a flat panel and on top when it's forced in to 1080p resolution. Gamers would be better off just getting a 1440 display and proper scaler than forcing it on to 1080 screen since you can never scale the two properly.

Performance should also drop on any machine generating 2-3 more instances of the same world at the same time and has to render a total set of resolution for those people. Even on pc when it's allowed it's the same short of having really good hardware, I say that being part of lightboost pc gaf.
1440 screens are also getting cheaper so it's feasible but somewhat unlikely knowing Nintendo philosophy.

Jimrpg

Performance should also drop on any machine generating 2-3 more instances of the same world at the same time and has to render another stream of resolution for those people. Even on pc when it's allowed it's the same short of having really good hardware, I say that being part of lightboost pc gaf.

Yep as an owner of a 1440p screen I rarely play out of native resolution. I'd rather lower graphics settings first before lowering resolution.

LCGeek

formerly sane
1440 screens are also getting cheaper so it's feasible but somewhat unlikely knowing Nintendo philosophy.

I wasn't talking about nintendo.

I was simply saying scaling a 720p image in to 1080p is dumb. You get better results with a screen that has a natural proportional ratio to 720p than 1080p since scaling uneven resolutions on flat panels results in the crap we see. Any time I can I try to get gamers out of display or networking purgatory, it's wretchedly blissful existence.

Aters

My thoughts too.
What I'm I gonna do with my left hand if my right hand is enough to play the game?

But he even points out that it is for multiplayer.

He also mentions he's not sure if they can be paired.

At least one stick and two buttons for each side can be used for multiplayer or combined to make a full dual stick controller.

Two sticks and 4 buttons per side is nuts.

If true calling it the "Nintendo X" would make sense. The X in this case would represent a "cross" due to it being a handheld cross console or something. Microsoft probably wouldn't be down for that.

StereoVsn

I was simply saying scaling a 720p image in to 1080p is dumb. You get better results with a screen that has a natural proportional ratio to 720p than 1080p since scaling uneven resolutions on flat panels results in the crap we see. Any time I can I try to get gamers out of display or networking purgatory, it's wretchedly blissful existence.
For this decide it's conceivable that actual rendering would be at 1080p for games in dock mode. I mean that's done constantly on PCs, mobile devices, soon NEO and Scorpio, etc.

statham

what if the screen was 2 screens, and could be folded like a triangle, so if your at burgerking, you pass a controller off to your friend sitting across from you, and you each play a game with your own screen against each other.?

LCGeek

formerly sane
For this decide it's conceivable that actual rendering would be at 1080p for games in dock mode. I mean that's done constantly on PCs, mobile devices, soon NEO and Scorpio, etc.

I'm hoping whatever this trippy setup is nintendo is considering more latency issues but WiiU streaming tech shows me they care about it. My issue with docking as other mentioned the tech hasn't proven it's theory to be better only doable but the apis games are on these days are openers compared to the last era we have been. Streaming tech with nintendo and nvidia designs would be insane considering they are easily the leaders of certain ideas right now. Nintendo has trippy ways of solving problems the more traditional parts of the industry haven't bothered or considered to deal with.

What they are doing with lower power feature rich system in high power/performance heavy shader industry has me paying attention. Be it handheld or Wiiu they've earned their place with a few games this gen.

Jimrpg

By the way 720p on a 1440p screen wouldn't be that great either. All your UI elements and text would be much larger. It's like selecting 720p on a 1440p screen, looks ass.

Actually maybe they will just do what they did with the Wii U and output at two resolutions where the controller was 480p. So it will be 720p on the handheld and 900p on the TV.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yakuza 5 is also on a TV and not a 5" screen.

It's a matter of concessions. You want 1080p? Okay, but you are either sacrificing graphical quality in every other metric resulting in games that might look as good as Vita games, or battery life that is going to be measured in minutes rather than hours.

On a small screen the primary benefit of higher resolution is text clarity. That's less important on something like a game system versus a phone. A tradeoff for something like 540p could result in improved visuals beyond raw resolution, and/or better battery life.

I doubt they will settle on one resolution either. Assuming this rumor is true, it's a safe bet that the system is heavily underclocked on battery power and runs at full power while plugged in/docked. At full power you get 720p or 1080p on the TV and on battery you get whatever compromised resolution they are able to work with on the underclocked specs with little to no change in-game other than rendering resolution.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If I can get Wii U quality visuals at 1080p60, that would be enough for me

But Smash bros was 108060.

<_<

My point is....Nintendo first party can do whatever they set their mind to. We already have the very bottom limit of what an X1 can do, so i think as long as they don't go too far below that, 108060 in many cases is pretty assured

samar11

Well if you consider this is also an handled, it's technically the most powerful handled ever.

This has virtually no chance of ever coming close to Xbox one. Ever.

It's not the point of the console. Think Wii U games with better IQ and portable too. Good enough really, especially for nintendo games. It will raise the bar for all the "3ds" games .

Yeh a slightly more powerful wii u with the creative/artistic talent at nintendo should bring some really great looking games.

If I can get Wii U quality visuals at 1080p60, that would be enough for me

On a handheld? Most definitely. I'll be there day one (with Zelda) if that is the case (and I don't even need 1080p, although that would definitely be preferred for TV output). Anything beyond Wii U on a handheld would just be icing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
By the way 720p on a 1440p screen wouldn't be that great either. All your UI elements and text would be much larger. It's like selecting 720p on a 1440p screen, looks ass.

Actually maybe they will just do what they did with the Wii U and output at two resolutions where the controller was 480p. So it will be 720p on the handheld and 900p on the TV.

To be quite honest I hate flat panels, but most gaffers aren't going to find a crt. It's better a solution than what he has cause the bigger the tv the more stretching of pixels on non proportional resolution will begin to show. Scaling is bad in general and we both seem to know that.

I'd be perfectly happy with 540p like the Vita. Especially after the 3DS.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I still think the most likely scenario is the system will be downclocked when used as a handheld. Have a 540p display around 5" and then when in the dock for use as a console it will run at full performance and output at 1080p.

720p is nice, but 540p on a 5" screen is still quite good and would equate to much better battery life. An X1 or X2 even at that should still be able to provide ample AA and AF for improved IQ.

If they for some reason go with a decidedly not portable screen size and go the 7-9" tablet sized route then yeah something like 720p, if not 1080p, is an absolute must. But that would be a very odd choice as that would be far more expensive and be a much great battery drain.

Jimrpg

I doubt they will settle on one resolution either. Assuming this rumor is true, it's a safe bet that the system is heavily underclocked on battery power and runs at full power while plugged in/docked. At full power you get 720p or 1080p on the TV and on battery you get whatever compromised resolution they are able to work with on the underclocked specs with little to no change in-game other than rendering resolution.

Yeah I've gone back on what I said in that post since. It'll probably be more than one resolution, there'll be a different resolution for the handheld and tv. Looks far better than one resolution for different size screens.

rekameohs

Banned

Hmm, I was just referring to the handheld, but I agree that mix-and-matching the resolutions from handheld to TV is probably not a very dev friendly option. It's just that I think 1080p on a mobile screen is a hell of an investment that they maybe do not want to burden themself with. Interesting dilemma - I wonder if downscaling an image to the handheld's resolution for that screen would hurt the image quality too much. If not, that's the approach I would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom