• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

JRW

scoobs said:
Thats the beauty of the contrast option on TVs :) no matter how muted a game can look at first... i can make it pop!

Does your TV have a foliage adjustment to?

sentry65

they both look nice, but the 360 almost looks too sharp. The trees and brush have a razor sharp pixel by pixel sharpness to them that to me looks like a video game. The PS3, though slightly blurry, appears more film-like to my eyes despite it having less brush, shadows, and resolution.

It's a shame the PS3's framerate and resolution are lower though. I'd probably agree that the 360 version is technically superior, but would have to say it still comes down to personal preference

Pooya

JAVK said:
Mate its true, at least for me, the blur gives it a cool film grain look.
film grain is a completely different visual effect , you have full screen image blur artifact here.

G_Berry

Banned
sentry65 said:
they both look nice, but the 360 almost looks too sharp. The trees and brush have a razor sharp pixel by pixel sharpness to them that to me looks like a video game. The PS3, though slightly blurry, appears more film-like to my eyes despite it having less brush, shadows, and resolution.

It's a shame the PS3's framerate and resolution are lower though. I'd probably agree that the 360 version is technically superior, but would have to say it still comes down to personal preference

omg

Anyway, it's about time we got some decent comparison shots in here. Anyone that played GTA IV on both consoles would have been expecting the same difference in quality.

The PS3 version still looks half decent and it's a step up from the quality in GTA IV that's for sure.

Hanmik

MazingerDUDE said:
The game looks 'a lot' WORSE in motion with all the shimmering artifacts and flickering jaggies. (that is PS3 version of course)

Here're some videos I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X271DTsH_g&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wge2EVB3wE&hd=1

Well, the video quality is rahter poor, but pay close attention to trees and the house up ahead.

The things get a lot worse on some epic vistas that what this game is all about.

It looks absolutely beautiful on 360, but just blurry flickering mess on PS3.

just threw your youtubes on the doubler..

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=8X271DTsH_g&start1=0&video2=2wge2EVB3wE&start2=0&authorName=Grey

Tr4nce

Thanks for the comparison shots man. Good work. But to be honest, I imagined things for the PS3 to be much worse, after reading several posts in this thread and the other one. The softer, more blurred look for the PS3 won't bother me. But from those shots, the game looks very good IMO. Can't wait for Friday to come! :)

Those vistas look so awesome. So much atmosphere.

Stoffinator

scoobs said:
lol this is one of the funniest threads ever.. i miss the old days on gaf where there wasn't blatant system wars goin down. I honestly can barely see any differences in any of those pictures, the 360 is a little sharper... but honestly?? that ps3 pic looks pathetic compared to the 360 one? lol alrighty apparently i'm in the minority here, i seriously am not seeing a big difference.

I'm with you. I've watched the videos above your quote over and over and don't see any big difference. I do notice a slight difference in the 360 version having a bit richer color, but that's it.

noisome07

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Hey it helped me out after I sifted through the bullshit. I hate these reactionary posts, they shit up and otherwise informative thread.

You know, some of us have all 3 consoles and couldn't care less about console warz.

Same here. Which is why this is a great thread.

Truant

sentry65 said:

Remember that it's not going to look that sharp and clinical on your TV, and the 'soft grain' image of the PS3 is not going to look that pleasant on your TV, either.

Hanmik

when you look at MazingerDUDEs two videos side by side.. there really isn´t that big a difference..

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...atch?v=2wge2EVB3wE&start2=0&authorName=hanmik

Not for me at least.. but just to make sure, I just had my NON-console playing work colleague (he is a PC player, and has been for over 20 years.) take a look and see if he can spot any BIG differences (like MazingerDUDE is saying). He said there was very little difference, he noticed the trees in the back being a bit clearer on the X360, they look a bit more washed out in the PS3 video, but that was it.

So there is differences, but not that big that MazzingerDUDE is trying to make it.. at least not from the videos and pictures he has posted.

EDarkness

EviLore said:
This sort of discussion has been going on since day 1 on gaf. Actually, with the rise of insular mini-communities forming around official threads (where no negativity at all tends to be tolerated by the participants), things are rather tame compared to the old days.

Heh, the old Gaming Age forums used to be crazy. Not to derail the thread, but those threads are why I stopped going to GA in the first place. Damn, they would get heated real quick.

Teknoman

schennmu said:
Friday can't come soon enough! Is there a huge backlash in the OT already? :lol

Not at all. Everything is cool except for the 360 users having online problems, and everyone having problems getting social club stuff to work because the servers were being hammered (but thats fine now). Other than that, everyones soaking up the atmosphere and going on about how great the game is ( in both SP and MP when working).

Hell the PS3 version still looks pretty damn nice unless you're going over it with a "magnifying glass". There are minute visual differences, but its in no way a mess of a game graphically, thats just going overboard. Framerate is pretty stable too.

Oh and a few complaints about preorder bonuses of course, but thats here and there.

Troublesome626

Neo Member
PS3 Screen Shots using capture card

11r4y8l.jpg

k16sev.jpg

290zei8.jpg

33p4xax.jpg

551mjp.jpg

5ydg06.jpg

fn70j7.jpg

5ttjmc.jpg

2aan9dk.jpg

28la1f.jpg

20100518192249.jpg

20100518192244.jpg

20100518192218.jpg

20100518192045.jpg

20100518192039.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MazingerDUDE said:
upper: 360
lower: PS3

a0037809_4bf350951597e.jpg

a0037809_4bf3509b4e857.jpg

That's a pretty significant difference there ... you'd think that being more favorable towards the PS3 when money hats aren't involved they'd pay more attention to make their games look better on it too. It's a good thing Agent isn't multiplatform as of yet.

exaggeration-1.png

seriously though, yes, the 360 version does look better, but never compare it to bayonetta. Other than it being a a bit washed out, the PS3 is playable, and very enjoyable. But hey, to each his own.

G_Berry

Banned
besides the detail level I noticed some other things in the posted pics.
a0037809_4bf356b796a30.jpg

LOD issues. Missing objects.
a0037809_4bf356bdbd11c.jpg

a0037809_4bf35651b166f.jpg

And lighting issues. I haven't heard anyone mention this?
a0037809_4bf356553d8a9.jpg

The 360 ver definitely looks sharper while the PS3 is blurry by compression.

I only have the PS3 so *if* I ever want to pick it up I don't really have a choice but if I did (and ignore taking online&friends into consideration) I would definitely go for the 360 version.

GreekWolf

Hanmik said:
So there is differences, but not that big that MazzingerDUDE is trying to make it.. at least not from the videos and pictures he has posted.
Neither Mazinger nor Quaz have a vested interest in either console. They simply present factual information through pixel counting. Average Joe's might not see a major discrepancy between resolution and various effects, in the same way that my girlfriend thinks Luigi's Mansion looks as good as 360/PS3 games. Most people just don't care about 720p vs 640p, which is perfectly fine.

Hydrgyrus said:
Oh, c'mon. Shame on you R*

Shitty ports even in 2010...
It's not just Rockstar cranking out comically bad ports. Most devs have been guilty of this, regardless of their level of expertise. Think about the remarkable difference between FFXIII versions. If the rumors about FFvs. are true, then you can almost be guaranteed we'll see another inexplicable 576p port.

JRW

Quick and dirty edit in Paint, I noticed some things missing on PS3 when looking at this shot, I drew an arrow above each area in question.

Arrow references (things missing in PS3 shot on bottom):
1. sign missing
2. logo on building missing
3. shadow missing
4. cant read sign
5. shadow missing behind barrel
6. wagon missing

Xbox 360:
360_RDR_arrows.jpg

PS3:
a0037809_4bf356bdbd11c.jpg

jaydogg691

I would like to buy this game on 360, but my 360 hasn't been reliable as of late. I guess I'll just pick this up when the Slim comes.

Chris R

Argh, hate the 360 controller, but I guess if/when I get this game it will have to be on the 360. That is unless the multiplayer looks like I might enjoy it (probably wouldn't though from the looks of things).

mujun

scoobs said:
lol this is one of the funniest threads ever.. i miss the old days on gaf where there wasn't blatant system wars goin down. I honestly can barely see any differences in any of those pictures, the 360 is a little sharper... but honestly?? that ps3 pic looks pathetic compared to the 360 one? lol alrighty apparently i'm in the minority here, i seriously am not seeing a big difference.

Who said pathetic. There's definitely a difference, that's fact. How noticeable is the subjective part.

Loudninja said:
Is missing foliage is what we going to start comparing now? :lol

You should have been in the Alan Wake, the shit Shurs was pulling with a rock in one screen was far worse imo. Would you have called him out?

2real4tv

schennmu said:
Thx for the comparison, Mazinger. The overall IQ on PS3 seems to be pretty good and superior to GTAIV (no blur filter). Not comparable to the bad PS3 captures we've seen so far.

Surprised at the other differences you pointed out. Rockstar's overall treatment of the PS3 version is poor (not showing it, etc.) and it's quite sad that they get a free pass on it.

Not really seeing the self shadowing issue though. Interesting to see better trees on 360 too, GTAIV was quite different in that area. And the foliage differences are indeed huge!

This....seriously and it is sad it was done purposely.

Pooya

Fix The Scientist said:
:lol It makes me sad that people like you exist.
I really appreciate what he's doing, and it's not just for deciding which version to buy, it's more than that. See Halo Reach for example, bungie is trying hard to improve the image quality over Halo 3 after all the negative reactions, if no one cared back then probably we would get same thing again.

GreekWolf

miladesn said:
I really appreciate what he's doing, and it's not just for deciding which version to buy, it's more than that. See Halo Reach for example, bungie is trying hard to improve the image quality over Halo 3 after all the negative reactions, if no one cared back then probably we would get same thing again.
Bingo.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
miladesn said:

Is true .. GAF is the reason Reach is 720p :D

bj00rn_

Banned
In the big picture, the difference doesn't really matter, I'm sure it doesn't take anything from the overall experience.

However, relative to the purpose of this thread especially for those of us with multiple systems, the difference is rather significant.

Higher res, more detail/foliage/better LOD, better/stable framerate.. It's not exactly a hard choice anymore. I didn't think that after R*'s experience with coding GTAIV for the PS3 the difference between the systems would be even bigger with RDR.

..Or maybe the 360 team just got better at programming the 360 than the PS3 team got better at the PS3?

2real4tv

OneMoreQuestion said:
You serious?

Yes, I could care less because I have both systems but I knew there was something going on with the ps3 version. There was no media on it up until release.

lherre

Accurate
chandoog said:
Is true .. GAF is the reason Reach is 720p :D

Reach is 720p? (I'm honestly asking)

miladesn said:

totally agree

Top Bottom