• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

koji

Holy shit @ those comparison shots, that's a pretty sloppy port right there. Guess I know what version to pick.

I told a friend of mine yesterday not to worry about what version, after 3 years they're probably the same...

Esteban

Banned
The difference is not so noticable in motion (see videos above). PC version will kill both by a wide margin.

Still, 360 version is definitely the one you should choose if you own both consoles.

Bankoiia

This thread makes me want to switch to the 360 ver, but that's not the platform my friends are going to play it on. : /

Esteban

Banned
Banko, I think you should choose the PS3 version then, the difference is not that big and it's really nicer playing with friends...

JRW said:
Quick and dirty edit in Paint, I noticed some things missing on PS3 when looking at this shot, I drew an arrow above each area in question.

Yeah, the LOD issues MazingerDUDE mentioned already. The stuff is probably there, you just need to get closer to spot it (again, great job r* ps3 team).

Teknoman said:
Not at all. Everything is cool except for the 360 users having online problems, and everyone having problems getting social club stuff to work because the servers were being hammered (but thats fine now). Other than that, everyones soaking up the atmosphere and going on about how great the game is ( in both SP and MP when working).

Sounds great, thx for the update! :)

mujun

bj00rn_ said:
In the big picture, the difference doesn't really matter, I'm sure it doesn't take anything from the overall experience.

However, relative to the purpose of this thread especially for those of us with multiple systems, the difference is rather significant.

Exactly.

That's why the two threads exist. Official thread for big picture talk about RDR, this thread for those who aren't satisfied unless they get their hands on the version they consider to be the best (they might make that decision based on the controller, the graphics, the frame rate, whatever).

As long as the people who want to make an informed choice keep those who want to keep the console wars raging these type of threads shouldn't need to get shut down nor degenerate into shit.

goonergaz

GreekWolf said:
Neither Mazinger nor Quaz have a vested interest in either console.

If this is true why does he state the engine is no improvement on GTA4 (when clearly it is) and that the frame-rate is a horrible mess (when all other evidence counters this)?

He also mentions this is the worst port ever!?!? LMAO!

Some people like to exagerate to make a small difference massive, if you took his words alone it appears RDR is a graphical and unplayable mess on PS3 when that's simply not true.

These sorts of bias comment lose him credibility (or at least make him look biased) IMHO.

Huggy

bj00rn_ said:
..Or maybe the 360 team just got better at programming the 360 than the PS3 team got better at the PS3?

I think RDR is just better suited to the 360. Probably because of the foliage rendering. I'm no expert on it, but I believe you can do some cool tricks when processing alpha in textures with later direct X versions.
The aggressive LOD in the PS3 version might be an indication they ran into fillrate problems.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
PS3 version has framerate drops, but average framerate is much higher than GTAIV. Image quality, though, is just as bad. It's a shimmery, blurry mess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Huggy said:
The aggressive LOD in the PS3 version might be an indication they ran into fillrate problems.

I don't think so, unless the objects in question weren't opaque. If a box doesn't show up where it was meant to, you still have to paint the pixel behind that box. Unless they were selectively LOD-ing out objects whose pixels consume higher fillrate...in the screenies above that doesn't seem to be the case, the objects that are missing don't seem to be any more sophisticated than what's behind them.

LOD is perhaps more likely to be aggressive because of a geometry bottleneck. But I find it hard to believe R* aren't using Edge tools or whatever...

Or perhaps the screens were taken at ever so slightly different points, such that objects that had popped-in the 360 shots hadn't yet popped-in when the PS3 shot was taken (or maybe objects were taking longer to pop in on the PS3 version). Whoever took the shots, or has both games, might be able to clarify that.

goonergaz said:
If this is true why does he state the engine is no improvement on GTA4 (when clearly it is) and that the frame-rate is a horrible mess (when all other evidence counters this)?

He also mentions this is the worst port ever!?!? LMAO!

Some people like to exagerate to make a small difference massive, if you took his words alone it appears RDR is a graphical and unplayable mess on PS3 when that's simply not true.

These sorts of bias comment lose him credibility (or at least make him look biased) IMHO.

Maybe because he feels this way? The engine has some improvements, but also a lot of new downgrades.

MazingerDUDE is a fanboy now, right. That's why he was the first person to report the sub hd resolution of Alan Wake.

Huggy said:
I think RDR is just better suited to the 360. Probably because of the foliage rendering. I'm no expert on it, but I believe you can do some cool tricks when processing alpha in textures with later direct X versions.

I doubt there is anything in RDR that the PS3 couldn't handle on par with the 360. The engine is just not optimized very well and is probably not utilizing the SPUs in an efficient fashion. It speaks for itself that every Rockstar game released to date is sub hd on PS3. Maybe they should ask themselves if treating PS3 only owners like 2nd grade customers is up to their standards. After all, the PS3 version is the same price last I checked.

Q8D3vil

is the online tied to the single player profile ?!

because it look like i'm going to buy ps3 version for online and borrow the 360 to play single player.

iNvid02

why are people still denying this :lol
its obvious, the 360 version is sharper, better framerate,
less pop issues, whilst the ps3 has foliage missing,
looks blurry and worse than gta iv on ps3.

this is bullshit, thought rockstar would remember they
owe everything to playstation fans who took em to fame.

bad port

Raide

iNvidious01 said:
why are people still denying this :lol
its obvious, the 360 version is sharper, better framerate,
less pop issues, whilst the ps3 has foliage missing,
looks blurry and worse than gta iv on ps3.

this is bullshit, thought rockstar would remember they
owe everything to playstation fans who took em to fame.

bad port

Does it make the PS3 version utterly unplayable and not fun to play?

manzo

Raide said:

Of course not. Just for people, who owns both consoles, the outcome is interesting.

The shitty 360 port of FFXIII didn't make the game unplayable.
The shitty PS3 port of Bayonetta didn't make the game unplayable.

It's just easier for us who owns both consoles to pick up the better version.

V_Arnold

Raide said:

Dont think so. Remember though, that we live in this binary world, where everything HAS to be GAME OF THE YEAR or epic flop/bomba/failure - therefore, the ports are either perfect, or are worst ports ever.

So go ahead and buy it on PS3 if you have PS3 friends to play together, and buy on 360, if you have 360 friends to play together with.

Raide

V_Arnold said:
Dont think so. Remember though, that we live in this binary world, where everything HAS to be GAME OF THE YEAR or epic flop/bomba/failure - therefore, the ports are either perfect, or are worst ports ever.

So go ahead and buy it on PS3 if you have PS3 friends to play together, and buy on 360, if you have 360 friends to play together with.

I might pick up the 360 version and then prod my brother to buy the 360 version instead of PS3. :lol

I just hope people are actually playing it by the time I get it.

goonergaz

schennmu said:
MazingerDUDE is a fanboy now, right. That's why he was the first person to report the sub hd resolution of Alan Wake.

Well, firstly I never said he was a fanboy - just simply biased (it's nigh on impossible to be unbiased in reality). Secondly, being the first to report AW at sub-hd means jack other than a lot of lime-light.

All I'm saying is that his negative comments look (from the general consensus) to be exagerated.

Suzzopher

manzo said:
The shitty PS3 port of Bayonetta didn't make the game unplayable.

Really? Before the install patch the game was a chore due to loading times. I played the 360 version after and enjoyed the game laods. On PS3 it was horrible.

Majine

Banned
Oh, man. I was hoping to the bitter end that all the uproar was caused by fanboys. But now... this is such a shame... I can't afford another xbox :(!!!

manzo

Suzzopher said:
Really? Before the install patch the game was a chore due to loading times. I played the 360 version after and enjoyed the game laods. On PS3 it was horrible.

I meant the framerate problems.

goonergaz

Majine said:
Oh, man. I was hoping to the bitter end that all the uproar was caused by fanboys. But now... this is such a shame... I can't afford another xbox :(!!!

Well hearing from people that have actually bought and played the PS3 version - I've not heard any complaints. IMHO sure there are differences, but nothing game breaking.

dakster

Neo Member
It's quite clear now why the ps3 version was never shown, the 360 clearly has the better image quality. I don't mind so so much as it's what i expected and will still purchase the game Friday.

Majine

Banned
goonergaz said:
Well hearing from people that have actually bought and played the PS3 version - I've not heard any complaints. IMHO sure there are differences, but nothing game breaking.
I hear what you are saying, but It kinda feels frustrating having bought the (at the time) most expensive system, and me being a huge Rockstar fan since, well, GTA2.

Tr4nce

Well the graphics are not a day and night's difference, but it really sucks this gen for PS3 owners, getting bad ports most of the time. While we indeed pay the same price. I don't know whether I wil buy the PS3's successor in the future, solely due to this problem. it's just so ridiculous. It's not like the PS3 has less power than the X360 or something, more on the contrary I think. Why treat the PS3 owners that way. It fucking sucks.

Benson

Ugh, I ordered the PS3 version under the assumption that R* would've learned something from GTA IV. I don't know what to do now, my order has already been dispatched so I can't cancel it.

Raide

Benson said:
Ugh, I ordered the PS3 version under the assumption that R* would've learned something from GTA IV. I don't know what to do now, my order has already been dispatched so I can't cancel it.

Wait for it to turn up, play it and then you can choose if it was worth it or not.

Majine

Banned
Benson said:
Well, if you haven't opened it up yet, you usually can return it, no?

Tr4nce

Benson said:

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be man. There are differences ofcourse, but most people would not really even notice.

MYE

It was either this or R&C: Crack in Time.....

.....Crack in Time it is.

Rockstar NEVER learns. Will buy the shitty PS3 port when it gets cheaper.
Ugh

bj00rn_

Banned
spats said:
I'm a bit relieved that it's a shitty port, gives me one more reason to skip this game.

Maybe it sounded more logical when it was inside your head.. Because I don't really get it.

Edit: Ah, ok, not a fan of the western settings then..

onken

Urgh, this really shouldn't be acceptable this late into the gen, and I can't believe there's no IQ improvement over GTA4 :/

This has been downgraded from "week 1" to "borrow off friend and consider". Normally I'd hold out for the PC version but knowing Rockstar and their terrible PC ports I probably won't bother.

Xater

Fuck and my PS3 copy just shipped. Seriously thinking about sending it back. Rockstar can't get a free pass again for such a sloppy port.

Raide

spats said:
I find the western setting incredibly drab (don't like western movies either) and can't afford to spend more money on games right now.

Fair enough. I am guessing the western setting will really only appeal to people that like the idea of horsing around, shooting stuff and shouting "Yehaw!" randomly. :lol

I am way more interested in RDR for the co-op side/MP, so I might wait a little bit before picking it up.

Yoboman

While shitty ports are a shame in 2010 it doesn't look like a big deal

And if it's such a big deal you guys will probably want to kill yourselves when you see it looking ten times better on PC in 6 months time

GreekWolf

Benson said:
One thing's for certain, if I only owned one console, I would steer far away from these comparison threads. When the facts come out, you have a 50/50 shot of validating your purchase.

I think most people would greatly enjoy their chosen version, if they were blissfully unaware of platform differences. These discussions are much better suited for multi-console owners like myself.

Top Bottom