• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Aselith

Its like EVE and its not. And in EVE having bigger ships do not give you large advantage.
Having more ships also do not give large advantage.
You need to stop thinking about this game's ships like levels in MMOs, it works completely different.
Here you can have 4 organized Auroras possibility to kill Idris that is piloted by one person.
Here you can aboard the Idris with one Aurora, kill people inside and take it over.
There is so many additional mechanics, that having more expensive ships means nothing except that they are different or allow players to play different ships from the start. Thats it.

Multicrew ships are multi crew goals, which can be achieves much faster by a group.
And how do you think having several ships on launch of the game is different to starting playing the game few months after launch?

Speaking of piracy, have they talked about how that would work in relation to insurance? Seems like if I boarded your ship and took it over and then you got it replaced it with insurance that would be a possible dupe exploit, no?

I'm pretty sure you can pirate players, correct?

KKRT00

Speaking of piracy, have they talked about how that would work in relation to insurance? Seems like if I boarded your ship and took it over and then you got it replaced it with insurance that would be a possible dupe exploit, no?

Yes You can. Now thats a good question, i dont even know how it works in EVE really.
If the insurance is attached to a ship or player, i think to a ship. Definitely you do not get insurance when you give away ship to someone, but when that some will crash it/destroy it, the money will come to you or to first owner, hmm i dont know ;p
They could just attach insurance to the ship or just make to the owner, but ship needs to be destroyed first, so the ship wont duplicate.

atpbx

Yes You can. Now thats a good question, i dont even know how it works in EVE really.
If the insurance is attached to a ship or player, i think to a ship. Definitely you do not get insurance when you give away ship to someone, but when that some will crash it/destroy it, the money will come to you or to first owner, hmm i dont know ;p
They could just attach insurance to the ship or just make to the owner, but ship needs to be destroyed first, so the ship wont duplicate.

Insurance is per ship.
If your ship gets stolen, you claim on your insurance.
Ships will have unique hull IDs and "ownership" tags. You won't be able to do certain things with a ship unless you "own" it, so once someone steals it, over rides the controls the game will flag the ship as stolen.
The owner claims on his insurance, and the their has to get some fake tags for the ship to sell it on.

Aselith

In EVE, you destroy ships to take the gear that survives as salvage. So, you can't actually take a ship and gear isn't insurable so there's no overlap.

In EVE, you destroy ships to take the gear that survives as salvage. So, you can't actually take a ship and gear isn't insurable so there's no overlap.

Technically you can take ships in EVE through the player interaction element. Back in the older days of EVE when I was a lowsec pirate our little corp would force players to eject out of their ship because we would threaten if they didn't we'd destroy it and guarantee that their pod gets destroyed after their ship destruction - it used to work well with mission runners with tons of expensive implants in their character (since if your pod gets destroyed you lose them and they valued that more) :D

MJLord

I've not played since the PU launched. I was really impressed with what I saw from the presentation. Might have to give 2.5 a look when it launches!

KKRT00

Technically you can take ships in EVE through the player interaction element. Back in the older days of EVE when I was a lowsec pirate our little corp would force players to eject out of their ship because we would threaten if they didn't we'd destroy it and guarantee that their pod gets destroyed after their ship destruction - it used to work well with mission runners with tons of expensive implants in their character (since if your pod gets destroyed you lose them and they valued that more) :D

Yep, exactly. Sometimes pods were more expensive that ships.

Pachimari

By the way, I need to upgrade my specs right? I currently have:

GPU: GeForce GTX 780
CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB

What would you recommend I upgrade first? My GPU?

KKRT00

By the way, I need to upgrade my specs right? I currently have:

GPU: GeForce GTX 780
CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB

What would you recommend I upgrade first? My GPU?

This CPU will limit you greatly in this game unfortunately. It will be playable, but stable 60fps is probably out of question. If it had 8 threads, it would be better.

pottuvoi

Banned

Apparently the aim is that every ship is properly constructed at factory and then shipped for player.
So there is time lag you get the new ship and there might be some insurance price adjustments etc things to discourage fraud.

Pachimari

This CPU will limit you greatly in this game unfortunately. It will be playable, but stable 60fps is probably out of question. If it had 8 threads, it would be better.

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU only, to a 1070. And then leave the CPU be. I won't mind 30fps.

KKRT00

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU only, to a 1070. And then leave the CPU be. I won't mind 30fps.

You can always sell it and buy Core i7-4770K, which will fit in your mobo and give those extra 4 threads :) It should also cost you not that much in the end, like maybe max 60-100$.

jaaz

KKR is right. At the moment, because the game is largely un-optimized, your CPU is extremely important, even more so than your GPU. For example, it's not unusual to see one of your CPU cores at a 100% utilization, while others are at 70% or less. All while your GPU is barely breaking a sweat at 60%.

Add that to a rather unstable netcode and you have a demanding game. it is still way better than earlier this year when 2.0 launched, but it has a ways to go. One of the things I am most looking forward to in 3.0 is the first 1.0 iteration of the new net code. When you see this game running at 60 FPS--and it certainly can--it is a dream to play, best game out there in my opinion.

UrbanRats

Haven't been following this game at all, really, but that planetary entry gave me chills.

Is this also single player, or just online?

EDIT: Meant to post this in the gamescom thread, but i guess it works here too.

inkls

Haven't been following this game at all, really, but that planetary entry gave me chills.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the gamescome thread, but i guess it works here too.

What you saw is the MMO component. Squadron42 is the single player campaign

EDIT: Meant to post this in the gamescom thread, but i guess it works here too.

There is a singple player campaign called Squadron 42. It is using this technology, and high quality performance capture to deliver a single player campaign in the vain of old Wing Commander games: where you take on missions, walk around a mother ship and talk to its crew forming relationships with wingmen (and wingwomen of course).

What you saw in the demo was an alpha version of Star Citizen, which is the MMO-styled first person universe with multiple solar systems, job systems, and simulant AI and economy.

Squadron 42 is planned to release at the end of this year, SC is going to be in alpha nad then beta for a long time until it is feature complete enough to be released in a traditional retail manner.

Ianan

Backed this game for like £250 back in 2012. Is it still possible to get new ships with LTI? I kind of want to get another package and sink more money in but I'm only willing if it has LTI with it.

Lime

There is a singple player campaign called Squadron 42. It is using this technology, and high quality performance capture to deliver a single player campaign in the vain of old Wing Commander games: where you take on missions, walk around a mother ship and talk to its crew forming relationships with wingmen (and wingwomen of course).

What you saw in the demo was an alpha version of Star Citizen, which is the MMO-styled first person universe with multiple solar systems, job systems, and simulant AI and economy.

Squadron 42 is planned to release at the end of this year, SC is going to be in alpha nad then beta for a long time until it is feature complete enough to be released in a traditional retail manner.

Will Squadron 42 also include planetary landings and more freedom or will it be very linear?

Zalusithix

Backed this game for like £250 back in 2012. Is it still possible to get new ships with LTI? I kind of want to get another package and sink more money in but I'm only willing if it has LTI with it.

Concept ship sales are your only chance for LTI at this point. From there you can upgrade/sidegrade to other ships, but not downgrade.

Daedardus

Tempted for that Terrapin. It satisfies my explorer feel so hard.

New concept sales come with LTI for the first sale, but there's a trick where they sold a lot of cheap LTI vehicles for like $30 that can be upgraded to any package. It essentially made the LTI premium disappaer on the secondary market.

KKRT00

Will Squadron 42 also include planetary landings and more freedom or will it be very linear?

You will see planetary landing in Squadron 42, but You wont have control over it.

It will be more linear, but in a sense that you fly with Idris to some space station and you need to infiltrate this space station. How you will you do it, it will be up to you, but you wont be flying through the whole system, looking for a jobs on planets etc in an open world sense.
Still, you will be have like 30000 km radius of 'freedom' to use to tackle the mission ;p
On planets though you will be restricted probably to like 10-15km2 or something.

Ianan

New concept sales come with LTI for the first sale, but there's a trick where they sold a lot of cheap LTI vehicles for like $30 that can be upgraded to any package. It essentially made the LTI premium disappaer on the secondary market.

Ohh shit, I must've missed that then. Is there a secondary market selling these LTI ships then so I can upgrade them on my RSI account?

Geist-

Concept ship sales are your only chance for LTI at this point. From there you can upgrade/sidegrade to other ships, but not downgrade.

The Argo will go on sale with LTI (I believe) when 2.5 goes live for $35. Probably the best time in the near future to get a cheap LTI token.

Zalusithix

What exactly is LTI?

Life Time Insurance for the ships.

Edit: Which I guess for a more expanded explanation, means that the base hull will always be under insurance no matter how much time goes by without having to pay for it in game. However base hull insurance isn't supposed to be expensive, and it wont cover any upgrades to the hull - which could end up costing more than the ship itself. It's really not that important, but doesn't hurt to have when it's relatively easy to get.

Zalusithix

So if you get it in one of these packages you have it on all your ships or just one?

Just the one ship, and take note of my expanded edit above.

Edit: Actually to be clear, it would apply to all ships within a package that claims LTI in the case of bundle packages. Only to the one ship for packages that only have one.

I wasn't interested in it until I heard it was a dedicated exploration ship and can be manned by one person. Sold! That was the initial reason I got a freelancer dur and a mustang beta. Don't need em anymore because it looks like terrapin, aquilla and carrack, fit me needs for each crew level.

Lime

You will see planetary landing in Squadron 42, but You wont have control over it.

It will be more linear, but in a sense that you fly with Idris to some space station and you need to infiltrate this space station. How you will you do it, it will be up to you, but you wont be flying through the whole system, looking for a jobs on planets etc in an open world sense.
Still, you will be have like 30000 km radius of 'freedom' to use to tackle the mission ;p
On planets though you will be restricted probably to like 10-15km2 or something.

I won't have control over it? So I can't personally steer the spaceship to go to the planet and land on its surface? :(

Geist-

I won't have control over it? So I can't personally steer the spaceship to go to the planet and land on its surface? :(
That's mostly speculation, we don't really know yet. SQ42 is going to be very story-based, so CIG is pretty strict about any spoilers leaking out, and that also means it will be fairly linear. What that means, we don't strictly know, but we'll probably find out about the actual campaign mechanics during CitizenCon in October.

S42 is story campaign. So I doubt they want to give that freedom in case people do things really crazy. The go anywhere mode is Star Citizen.

Zalusithix

For those new to the crazy ship sale system for SC, here's a more or less complete rundown:

• Not all ships are for sale at all times. Ships go on sale initially as concept sales, then typically again when they're flight ready, and then either stay for sale, or in the case of limited ships go back off the market until some special sale brings them back temporarily.
  • Ships come in either packages or by themselves as standalones.
  • Both packages and standalones come with at least one ship and hangar type, insurance for some time period for the ship (or ships in the case of a multi-ship package), and perhaps some additional in-game items like posters, models, etc.
  • Packages come with the base game, and some credits to help you start out. You need the base game in order to play.
  • Standalone ships do not include access to the game, and do not come with credits. They are only useful if you already have a package.
  • The insurance period covers the base hull for the specified amount of time. (Though honestly I can't remember if this is real time or in game time.) It does not cover addons, upgrades, etc. LTI allows this coverage to never expire, but due to the limited nature of the coverage, and the low cost of base hull insurance, it has been reiterated over and over again by the devs that it is not important.
  • Standalone ships, and ships within packages can be upgraded to other ships by paying the difference between them.
  • If you absolutely must have LTI, the best way to go about it is to use the upgrading to your advantage by purchasing a cheap standalone ship during a concept sale and using it as a donor hull to the ship you really want. The LTI transfers over to the upgraded ship. Keep in mind, these are standalone ships, so you'll need a package in addition to doing this.
  • You can buy upgrade packages from ships that you don't yet own and store them. You can use this to amortize the cost of a limited availability ship by grabbing an upgrade to it from a more expensive standard availability ship that you don't yet own. Then in the future buy an upgrade from a ship you do own, to that interim ship, and then apply the stored upgrade from the interim ship to the target ship you wanted to begin with.
  • You can't, however, downgrade a ship. You can only switch it for a ship of equal or greater cost. Plan accordingly.
  • Additional packages beyond your first will eventually allow prepaid AI crewmates that you wont have to hire in game.
  • All packages and standalones can be melted at any time for store credit that can then be applied to another purchase.
  • Packages and standalones can't be gifted if they've been bought with store credits.
  • Melted packages and standalones can be bought back again within certain limitations, but that's outside of the scope of this, and is really only used to work around the first point of ships having limited sales periods when doing melt->buy package swaps.

Here's an example of a cheap standalone LTI ship (P-72) being used as a donor hull for an upgrade to a Khartu-al:
d13BVp4.png

Daedardus

What's the current status of the SC HOTAS? Is it even worth it waiting now? I really want a HOTAS but all the current models seems to have severe flaws in them for space games, or is that not true? Anyone who can recommend a good setup?

cyress8

Banned
I really irrationally like Near-FOV depth of field
vlcsnap-2016-08-20-20chs17.png

Like... why do I like it so much?

I don't mean to hijack your pic. I'm pretty happy that a heavy can actually take some bullets before dying. Just hope they can balance it alittle further and not make them too spongy. Guy hit him with quite a few bullets and even a couple headshots.

Steel

Banned
I don't mean to hijack your pic. I'm pretty happy that a heavy can actually take some bullets before dying. Just hope they can balance it alittle further and not make them too spongy. Guy hit him with quite a few bullets and even a couple headshots.

I do like it, but I feel like a high TTK only works particularly well in wide open spaces. In corridors it just becomes a "peek-a-boo" fight after the initial encounter.

Top Bottom