• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

BTW: I was ALSO supposed to be getting Squadron 42 with pledge and he fucked us on that one, spinning it off and charging for it separately.

He's going to end up getting what he deserves in the end.

How did he fuck you on that one? They announced the split weeks in advance of it happening and I’ve never heard of a single case where an existing order had Squadron 42 revoked from its package.

Sailent

Banned
Trying to get right now on the PTU 3.0, a couple days ago I could, now I get the 10002 error code. Anyone knows any fix? (I have the new launcher)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I watched some recent gameplay of this, it has great visuals.but they have not done the best job in explaining what the game is about. maybe one day when its on console I'll get it.

I watched some recent gameplay of this, it has great visuals.but they have not done the best job in explaining what the game is about. maybe one day when its on console I'll get it.

If they didn’t explain what the game is about they wouldn’t have $170 million raised. It’s never coming on consoles.

Spazznid

The game is split into various parts. Each one about something different.

If by "they" you mean the people in the particular gameplay video you watched, then sure.
Chris Roberts explains what its about multiple times throughout development and I imagine he will again.

If you literally type, "What is Star Citizen" into the search bar, some youtube videos should pop up, among them, the official video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJx4TdshFA

Not too shabby, eh?

Anyways, the thing that pulled me in years ago was the thought of hitchhiking my way through the galaxy performing odd jobs in exchange for passage on other people's ships. Meeting new people and making friends/enemies that way.

This video is really old, but the message is still there.

Sailent

Banned
For me 3.0.1 is unplayable right now. Everytime I leave the station the game goes full -5fps.

That with an OCd 2500k and a 1060 is a problem. Let's see how long it takes them to fix it.

Last edited:

iHaunter

For me 3.1 is unplayable right now. Everytime I leave the station the game goes full -5fps.

That with an OCd 2500k and a 1060 is a problem. Let's see how long it takes them to fix it.
I wish they had less artists and more network engineers. The entire game HINGES on their Network optimization. They have more than enough art/ships til long after release.

frontieruk

Is there a new thread on this game because this one is dead
It's not dead. People just stopped posting because people that didn't know what they were talking about were bitching all the time.

I thought it was because everyone moved to the 400+ post thread on the other site using that as an excuse to get away from the people who don’t know what they were talking about, I think they may also of taken more refuge in their orgs discord.

Just saying.

lumzi23

For me 3.1 is unplayable right now. Everytime I leave the station the game goes full -5fps.

Note: We are not at 3.1 but at 3.0.1!

3.1 is still in the future.

Last edited:
Theres a free fly weekend going on right now. The two base starter packs are on sale for US$35 or theres a combo of the Mustang/base game/SQ42 for US$55

Tried it out and this was my experience:
  • Still no individual gfx settings. Only low-very high presets.
  • 30-35fps regardless of settings ( Im told its a server issue).
  • Selected ship, went out to the hanger, hopped in ship. Game crashed.
  • Uninstalled.
8700k, gtx 1080, 16GB ram, SSD, Win8.1.

Im watching others stream it and playing it. I dont understand how they're getting 50fps+ and at the same settings on similar hardware or in some cases, lower hardware.

Ill continue to wait and use the free fly weekends to test the games progress before i spend any money.

Last edited:

masterkajo

Theres a free fly weekend going on right now. The two base starter packs are on sale for US$35 or theres a combo of the Mustang/base game/SQ42 for US$55

Tried it out and this was my experience:
  • Still no individual gfx settings. Only low-very high presets.
  • 30-35fps regardless of settings ( Im told its a server issue).
  • Selected ship, went out to the hanger, hopped in ship. Game crashed.
  • Uninstalled.
8700k, gtx 1080, 16GB ram, SSD, Win8.1.

Im watching others stream it and playing it. I dont understand how they're getting 50fps+ and at the same settings on similar hardware or in some cases, lower hardware.

Ill continue to wait and use the free fly weekends to test the games progress before i spend any money.

There is an offline mode where you can fly around solo or against ai. This one does not connect to the servers and therefore allows you play in 60+ fps. I can get 90+pfs on a 1080ti. Also, new servers without much people on tend to run better as well, ~60fps.
When connecting to servers, they have the problem at the moment that everything is handled at once. Server sends you data of stuff you are not even interested in because it is happening so far away. They are rewriting this code (from the engine) and it should be released with the next updates. This means the performance will get better even on your hardware.

Crashes are expected as this game is still in early alpha. It was unfortunate that it did crash immediately for you. Some can play for hours without a problem. Sometimes it crashes rather soon. Regardless, I am not playing the game right now. But I see the potential it has. I would wait until true beta where the game is feature complete and more importantly much more stable and then get back at it again. At least that is what I am doing. I just follow the development maybe hopping in the game once a huge patch comes out and see what has changed.

Last edited:
There is an offline mode where you can fly around solo or against ai. This one does not connect to the servers and therefore allows you play in 60+ fps. I can get 90+pfs on a 1080ti. Also, new servers without much people on tend to run better as well, ~60fps.
When connecting to servers, they have the problem at the moment that everything is handled at once. Server sends you data of stuff you are not even interested in because it is happening so far away. They are rewriting this code (from the engine) and it should be released with the next updates. This means the performance will get better even on your hardware.

Crashes are expected as this game is still in early alpha. It was unfortunate that it did crash immediately for you. Some can play for hours without a problem. Sometimes it crashes rather soon. Regardless, I am not playing the game right now. But I see the potential it has. I would wait until true beta where the game is feature complete and more importantly much more stable and then get back at it again. At least that is what I am doing. I just follow the development maybe hopping in the game once a huge patch comes out and see what has changed.

Call me stupid, but how do i enter the solo mode. I redownloaded it as i felt like a hack for bailing on a single crash that i mentioned.

Appreciate any assistance. This is the closest to my dream game of a Starship Troopers/RoughNecks CGI cartoon that ive come so far in gaming.

masterkajo

It should be in arena commander. I am 100% sure what it is called but it should be something like solo or free flight. This let's you just fly around two maps and get to know your ship. Then there is also vanduul swarm which is against ai. There is the option to play multi-player in arena commander, with your friends as well. I do not know how this plays as it has been a long time for me.

Top Bottom