• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

Nzyme32

What is most infuriating is the seeming willingness for some folks to just swallow his word alone and dismiss the mess of the past day and some clear lies and sidestepping of the actual evidence in favour of the most classically scripted PR speak. Disgusting man

A sampling from the community Palmer Luckey posted to and solicited funds from:

This is unfortunately not even close to the worst of it.

ed89kh9uniix.png

#FreshIdeas

Alucrid

Banned
It's a pretty serious accusation that will have a big impact on the future of VR video games which happens to be something I'm very interested in.

So, even though it is most likely true, I'd like to see some actual proof before I come to a conclusion because 1. If it's true he needs to be held accountable, and 2. it would be nice to be able to trust a news outlet again.

Also, who the hell posts emails that way? Like if you were posting that screen shot, is that how you'd do it? that's not how I'd do it... I'd put the from line at the top so it was crystal clear that this dude was lying.

they clearly have the emails. what do they gain by further perpetuating a lie they created? nothing. but palmer has every reason to try and weasel his way out of this one. he never even called them out in his statement, which you think he would if they're actually lying.

Verelios

So, the appropriate response from someone like me should continue to be: fuck Palmer Luckey, Oculus, and anyone who supports or patronizes him?

Because, fuck that response.
The fuck are you talking about. Support whatever you want, just like I'll blast you for supporting hate filled ignorance.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I guarantee that no PR handler vetted this statement.

This will continue to unfold and I am here for all of it.

Ketch

We really doing this? Really?

Really doing what? Not trusting news agencies? Yes.

If Fox news made this story would you believe it so fast? I don't know daily beast from fox news.

they clearly have the emails. what do they gain by further perpetuating a lie they created? nothing. but palmer has every reason to try and weasel his way out of this one. he never even called them out in his statement, which you think he would if they're actually lying.

I agree. He's probably guilty. But still, why post those screenshots like that? I mean come on... why do they have to leave room for him to wiggle out of it?

Armaros

I guarantee that no PR handler vetted this statement.

This will continue to unfold and I am here for all of it.

I have a feeling Palmer is being left to fend for himself separate from Facebook

We will see what Facebook proper does.

Do they circle the wagons?

Quonny

If Fox news made this story would you believe it so fast? I don't know daily beast from fox news.
Honestly if Fox News wrote this story I'd probably believe it more. They're in on the Trump news.

Nanashrew

Banned
Jason Rubin, Head of Content at Oculus:

https://twitter.com/jason_rubin/

Disappointing response.

Disappointing.

Luckey's words mean little. His actions speak much louder from who he associates with, his twitter likes show his interests, some the people he follows are alt-right and prominent GGers, and one notable GGer is a rape apologist. Not to mention his girlfriend who is extremely racist and to stick around in a relationship like that he must carry some of her core views. That's on top of his 10k fund for "fresh" white supremacist and anti-semitic memes and ads from Nimble America and the reddit post.

Tygamr

Clearly other media outlets find them reliable. The story has spread to other sites pretty quickly.

It's a pretty serious accusation that will have a big impact on the future of VR video games which happens to be something I'm very interested in.

So, even though it is most likely true, I'd like to see some actual proof before I come to a conclusion because 1. If it's true he needs to be held accountable, and 2. it would be nice to be able to trust a news outlet again.

Also, who the hell posts emails that way? Like if you were posting that screen shot, is that how you'd do it? that's not how I'd do it... I'd put the from line at the top so it was crystal clear that this dude was lying.

Wanna know what impact it'll have? I'll break it down.

1. Oculus will lose public face, this will most likely be the root cause of points 2 and 3.

2. Oculus will lose market share due to fleeing developers and customers, willing to spend their time and money elsewhere. Vive and PSVR will pick up the sales (most likely).

3. Luckey may be blacklisted by other tech companies run by veterans of the industry. He's tainted goods now, and even if his original vision and business sense got him to where he is, no vet in their right mind would let this guy near their products, lest he give them a bad name.

VR games will probably not change. They will just have primary development on other platforms. Don't think that Oculus is the one and only.

From those emails it looks like Daily Beast got a tip that Luckey was involved with this and asked if people were impersonating him on the internet. In a fit of honesty, Luckey decided to tell the truth.

Codeblue

The end of his apology was basically "Views are my own and don't represent my employer". Good on the original authors for not backing down and exposing him. Dude had a whole day to respond and he put out the weakest lie.

I'm not gonna witchhunt this dude, but I won't have anything to do with Oculus while he's there.

Top Bottom