• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

totowhoa

Banned

Don't be fucking obtuse about email screen shots, Reddit posts, Twitter activity and his own damn apology (as if he has no incentive to lie and everything else is a well-created conspiracy). If you want to be intentionally naive about this, fine -- but nobody's going to put up with spreading FUD in a thread full of evidence.

at that point, its not a trap i dont think. its literally just journalism.

true, i might be overthinking things for the sake of dramatization but i still don't get how he thought he could get away with straight up lying if he knew the journalist had proof

Uhyve

I don't really get Luckey's PR narrative here.

1. Nobody knows about his connection to Nimble America.
2. Daily Beast exposes him as co-founder.
3. Luckey admits helping fund Nimble America, but he totally didn't co-found it.
4. Daily Beast just received emails claiming to be from him, exposing all of this, with the single erroneous detail that he was a co-founder rather than a person funding it.

Am I following all of this correctly? PR disaster over? This narrative makes sense? He's a public face of one of the biggest companies in the world? Urgh.

gafneo

Banned
"The Internet" meaning Palmer Luckey and his girlfriend's Twitter accounts along with a yet-to-be refuted Daily Beast piece that claims Luckey himself as a source. Not Yahoo! Answers, your uncle Terry's Facebook page "The Internet."

aka, gossip that leads to train wrecks whenever people get worked up over he said she said.

From the Daily Beast authors

jFa4Xoa.png

Fuck him if this is true.

Edit: I, and many others have sent him tweets calling him on his shit. Curious if he just comes clean at this point.

Dude talks a big game behind an anonymous account but of course the minute he's exposed he bitches out with lies and nonapologies. Fuck him and his company.

"Am I following all of this correctly? PR disaster over?"

Your chain of events is slightly incorrect, those were the emails that Daily Beast originally received as their proof for their original article. They posted them to contradict Luckey's statement that he didn't make any posts under NimbleRichMan.

Tagyhag

Not necessarily, but they don't have a problem supporting a white supremacist and bigot. Nuance is important.

Indeed, and at that point, you are a bad person. I'd like that person to look me in the eyes and tell me Trump cares about me as much as any straight Christian white male in the nation.

No one is that naive. No one.

Tygamr

Keyword "internet" The source of all truth that would never mislead us in anyway. Sarcasm.

But I mean, his twitter isn't fake is it? He seems to show a lot of support for Donald Trump, despite his 'vote going to Gary Johnson'. Pretty clear contradiction of his statement.

Trouble

Banned
I don't really get Luckey's PR narrative here.

1. Nobody knows about his connection to Nimble America.
2. Daily Beast exposes him as co-founder.
3. Luckey admits helping fund Nimble America, but he totally didn't co-found it.
4. Daily Beast just received emails claiming to be from him, exposing all of this, with the single erroneous detail that he was a co-founder rather than a person funding it.

Am I following all of this correctly? PR disaster over? This narrative makes sense? He's a public face of one of the biggest companies in the world? Urgh.

No. He's the public face of a small company that was bought by a bigger company. Facebook isn't even one of the bigger tech companies out there.

Armaros

Dailybeast: "Did you write the NimbleRichMan post?"
Palmer's brain: "Tell a lie, tell a lie!"
Palmer: "Yes."
Palmer's brain: "D'OH!"

He didnt even just say 'yes'.

He said 'i didnt make the account, i just post on it', so he wrote some nuance to it.

SO HE SAT DOWN AND THOUGHT ABOUT HIS RESPONSE TO THAT QUESTION.

Toparaman

Banned
aka, gossip that leads to train wrecks whenever people get worked up over he said she said.

Okay, so go to Nimble America's website. You will clearly see an organization that is for Trump, not for Johnson or libertarian politics.

There's evidence in broad daylight that Palmer's lying.

mileS

One look at Palmer's Liked Tweets shows which candidate he is all for.

Hint: It's not Gary, Jill or Hillary.

didn't think to look here earlier. Holy shit you are right. In his FB post he probably thought one of his saving graces would be letting everyone know hes not voting for Trump. One skim through his twitter its painfully obvious thats complete bull as well.

gafneo

Banned
Okay, so go to Nimble America's website. You will clearly see an organization that is for Trump, not for Johnson or libertarian politics.

There's evidence in broad daylight that Palmer's lying.

I looked, Not enough evidence. Text is BS. The only real evidence is to live through Lucky's body and live out his actions and emotions.

Makonero

I think it's insanely ironic the the public face for VR--a device allowing you digitally to step into someone else's skin--is a Trump-supporting bigot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He didnt even just say 'yes'.

He said 'i didnt make the account, i just post on it', so he wrote some nuance to it.

SO HE SAT DOWN AND THOUGHT ABOUT HIS RESPONSE TO THAT QUESTION.
Ugh, you ruined my joke. FINE, here's another take:

Dailybeast: "Did you write the NimbleRichMan post?"
Palmer's brain: "Tell a lie, tell a lie!"
Palmer: "I didn't make the account. But I do post on it."
Palmer's brain: "Braaavo...." *slow clap*

Apologizing after you've been caught doing something almost never means that you're actually sorry for what you did. Instead, you're just sorry that you got caught and are trying to minimize the damage.

This is just damage control. Nothing more.

Exuro

didn't think to look here earlier. Holy shit you are right. In his FB post he probably thought one of his saving graces would be letting everyone know hes not voting for Trump. One skim through his twitter its painfully obvious thats complete bull as well.
Yeah I couldn't even find a single Gary Johnson like.

Beckx

So... his response is a vague nonpology and an easily disproven lie?

Scratching my head at this. Is he really that dumb, or does he think we are? Or is he just following in the footsteps of Daddy Trump?

I think that's very much a part of the techbro manifesto, yes: that they are the smartest and best; that they earned their place because they are smartest and best: and that everyone who didn't is just an idiot. Which in turn feeds into a particular ideology that has manifested this election cycle in self-styled libertarian techbro billionaires declaring their devotion to Trump.

Top Bottom