• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

EagleEyes

Got mine ordered off Amazon last night. Glad I did cause it's already out of stock there. I think this is definitely gonna cause a spike in sales for the 360. Microsoft handled this way better than the PS3 slim last year.

FrankT

EagleEyes said:
Got mine ordered off Amazon last night. Glad I did cause it's already out of stock there. I think this is definitely cause a spike in sales for the 360. Microsoft handled this way better than the PS3 slim last year.

What is your estimated delivery date?

dolemite said:
The old Spring Arcade bundle is now $150. Now that's a true bargain, not the Slim.

Arcade at $150 is a deal. I figure most if not all the new stock will be gone by Aug/Sep. The new arcade they need to set at $150. I'm not so sure they have to reduce the top line this fall I guess we shall see. They gave up a bit of marketshare this last year, but this has been the best fiscal year they have had in a long time with heading towards a billion in profit for the fiscal year. Not so sure they want to give that up. In the west they are pretty much doing more than fine between the three and coming off the best first quarter NPD ever. The fall lineup looks to be pretty solid as well. $150/$250 might be a nice place to be at though.

AndyMoogle said:
There is no way in hell that people could ever think that the PS3 Slim is small.

EDIT: And please stop calling this a 360 slim. Don't know why people even came up with that in the first place. At least the PS3 "slim" was always going to be a slimmer version. The 360 250GB is touted as being a redesign with some internal changes. They aren't really screaming about the size here.
Info on the back of the xbox itself calls it an Xbox 360 S, close enough to call it a small, or slim, or shitty redesign :p

spwolf

Annihilator said:
Why the price isn't $200 is beyond me. There are a lot of suckers out there who just buy whatever is brand new so after that crowd dries up and they lower the price to $200, I will probably get one than.

This is still a better than then before, regardless... only thing it sucks for MS is that now you can clearly compare it to PS3 (built in wireless, rechargeable controllers, user upgradeable HDD etc), however nobody can deny that this is clearly an better deal for Xbox customers.

And I am sure they will provide additional user incentives come winter time.

Frostburn

I'm interested in picking one up eventually but I'm not in a big rush. My 360 isn't too bad when it comes to the noise but having a near silent machine when playing from the hard drive or streaming Netflix will be really nice. Too bad they didn't build voice command into the system, would be nice to have.

jagowar

Frostburn said:
I'm interested in picking one up eventually but I'm not in a big rush. My 360 isn't too bad when it comes to the noise but having a near silent machine when playing from the hard drive or streaming Netflix will be really nice. Too bad they didn't build voice command into the system, would be nice to have.

Personally I'm getting one as soon as they are back in stock from amazon.... I have credit to pay for it already but one reason I want to sell mine now is because they are still worth something on ebay. If I wait until this fall when the new 360 might be cheaper I imagine my existing console will be worth nothing.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
AndyMoogle said:
There is no way in hell that people could ever think that the PS3 Slim is small.

It sure as hell is when next to the OG PS3. That this is just too big. It looks silly.

EagleEyes

spwolf said:
This is still a better than then before, regardless... only thing it sucks for MS is that now you can clearly compare it to PS3 (built in wireless, rechargeable controllers, user upgradeable HDD etc), however nobody can deny that this is clearly an better deal for Xbox customers.

And I am sure they will provide additional user incentives come winter time.
Considering that I watch most of my movies digitally now and the fact that I haven't bought a blu-ray movie in ages, i'd say the new 360 is a better deal than the PS3 slim for me at least. It comes down to individual preference though as I know quite a few people who are unwilling to replace their current dvd collection to start over with blu-ray and basically just digitally rent movies now.

Diablohead said:
Info on the back of the xbox itself calls it an Xbox 360 S, close enough to call it a small, or slim, or shitty redesign :p
Say what you want about the actual exterior design for this Xbox 360, but they've certainly not removed or worsen something else with the console. Only improvements so far it seems like. Calling it a shitty redesign based on looks alone seems silly.

FrankT

mujun said:
Is the new machine compatible with AV cables from original 360s?

Pretty sure that is a yes. I mean it has the same slot on the back and comes with the standard cable;

4700188445_4faa8bee43.jpg

Aspiring

Can somebody just answer two more questions. After i transfer my licence for my arcade games, and re download them, with my save files, i understand you can just use a USB drive. Now would an external harddrive work? I dont really have a USB stick with enough room, but i know i do have an external HDD.

And there is no way i can copy my arcade games over is there. I have to re download them(also i dont want to buy a migration kit)

Also with HDMI, can i just use the regular HDMI cables that my PS3 uses? And will it output sound as well as video, just like my PS3?

Thanks!

Also playasia have them listed as being in stock on the 21st June, yet my estimated shipping date is June 17. Hope it ships on the 17th :D

Lo-Volt

It's nice! It looks like it would be suitable on someone's desk in Mass Effect, so it passes that test. And if it's really as quiet and reliable as we all hope, so much the better. My pro 360 recently gave one or two games the stink eye, so I might need to get on line this week for this kit.

I'm still disappointed that Microsoft is being somewhat coy about what they're doing below $300, though (though the curtain is being lifted by some of these quotes flying around). It's fine that they're offering closeout prices on their old models, but they're also releasing this new design during a period of high unemployment and underemployment. It's been five years, and the price of entry is still $300 for the "good" model? I think they could have done more at the conference to address that, but all eyes on late summer, then...

Aspiring said:
Can somebody just answer two more questions. After i transfer my licence for my arcade games, and re download them, with my save files, i understand you can just use a USB drive. Now would an external harddrive work? I dont really have a USB stick with enough room, but i know i do have an external HDD.

And there is no way i can copy my arcade games over is there. I have to re download them(also i dont want to buy a migration kit)

Also with HDMI, can i just use the regular HDMI cables that my PS3 uses? And will it output sound as well as video, just like my PS3?

Thanks!

Also playasia have them listed as being in stock on the 21st June, yet my estimated shipping date is June 17. Hope it ships on the 17th :D
Yes any HDMI cable will work.

About the external HDD... It will work, BUT you will only be able to use 16GB of it. And the 360 formats the whole HDD first.

Zinthar

EagleEyes said:
Considering that I watch most of my movies digitally now and the fact that I haven't bought a blu-ray movie in ages, i'd say the new 360 is a better deal than the PS3 slim for me at least. It comes down to individual preference though as I know quite a few people who are unwilling to replace their current dvd collection to start over with blu-ray and basically just digitally rent movies now.

Digital rentals are fine if people don't care about picture or sound quality, but even if, you're probably better off using Netflix w/ their blu-ray package than renting, and in that case the PS3 is much more useful as a media player. PS3 also runs better with PlayOn for streaming content from a PC.

As far as the aesthetics of the 250GB 360, the glossy look would be more appropriately paired with the fat PS3's of old. I like it, aside from the fact that it looks like it's sucking in its gut with a belt wrapped around it near the center.

Somnid

I really want this for the Wi-fi as I know it will be tremendously useful since I move around a lot and don't want to lay down ethernet cord all over the place. The problem is I see it next to the now $250 Elite bundle with ODST and Forza and it just starts looking bad. I really wish they could have kept the pack-ins. 250GB and Wireless N are overkill anyway.

The arcade at $150 is pretty nice but then I'd want both wireless and a hard drive for BC. Sigh. I really hate SKU bullshit.

Aspiring

AndyMoogle said:
Yes any HDMI cable will work.

About the external HDD... It will work, BUT you will only be able to use 16GB of it. And the 360 formats the whole HDD first.

16GB is fine as i currently only have a 20GB anyway. But i dont think i will do it now. Why on earth would it reformat the whole bloody thing? I did it like this when i changed my PS3 HDD and it was fine. Oh well, can you do it in small bits? I have like a 1GB usb stick. That will have to do. Or if i just do my saves and just redownload everything else. Arrgghh!!!

Fakto

Psychotext said:
That's why there's a sticker over the drive saying not to move it when it's on...
Is there any explanation of how the hell the 360 reads the discs to rip them that hard just by moving it ? O.O
First time seeing something like this.

Lo-Volt said:
It's nice! It looks like it would be suitable on someone's desk in Mass Effect, so it passes that test. And if it's really as quiet and reliable as we all hope, so much the better. My pro 360 recently gave one or two games the stink eye, so I might need to get on line this week for this kit.

I'm still disappointed that Microsoft is being somewhat coy about what they're doing below $300, though (though the curtain is being lifted by some of these quotes flying around). It's fine that they're offering closeout prices on their old models, but they're also releasing this new design during a period of high unemployment and underemployment. It's been five years, and the price of entry is still $300 for the "good" model? I think they could have done more at the conference to address that, but all eyes on late summer, then...

Welcome to the new world of electronics. You release new models with added features to maintain a profitable pricepoint. Look at the DS and PSP as perfect examples. Hell, the Wii has only dropped $50 during its entire lifespan!

Rich!

Fakto said:
Is there any explanation of how the hell the 360 reads the discs to rip them that hard just by moving it ? O.O

As someone who works at a video rental store...believe me, it's been a problem since the 360 was first released.

The amount of destroyed/laser burned games we get returned is astounding. And it's the one thing I was hoping they'd fix with the redesign. fuck. :lol

Psychotext said:
That's why there's a sticker over the drive saying not to move it when it's on...

Holy God. They're not kidding. How does the PS3 handle a similar situation? Blu-Ray disks are supposed to be more robust, so it would be interesting to see if they would survive this sort of abuse (not that I'm volunteering to try this shit out on any of mine).

uccello

Simply incredible redesign! For me, the wii had everyone beat before in the console look department with it's simplicity and size. But now, honestly, this really puts xbox as the best looking console this generation! It's got the alienware futuristic look but it's also simple and sleek enough for it to not be over exaggerated.

The ps3 "slim" was a major downgrade, with the backwards compatibility removed and the over all cheapened chinese knock off look. I'm glad microsoft didn't go that route, but instead made the 360 look luxe and elegant.

Rich!

BritBloke916 said:
Holy God. They're not kidding. How does the PS3 handle a similar situation? Blu-Ray disks are supposed to be more robust, so it would be interesting to see if they would survive this sort of abuse (not that I'm volunteering to try this shit out on any of mine).

My old fat PS3 fell off my desk after my girlfriend stupidly knocked it over by accident. It fell on the floor, and carried on playing Uncharted 2 like nothing had ever happened. :lol

The disc was fine too.

richisawesome said:
My old fat PS3 fell off my desk after my girlfriend stupidly knocked it over by accident. It fell on the floor, and carried on playing Uncharted 2 like nothing had ever happened. :lol

The disc was unscathed too.

Impressive - but you'll forgive me if don't try that out for myself :D

EDIT: I guess PS3 is the smarter choice for gamers in earthquake zones!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I'm going to wait for the Kinect bundle. My OG X360 is still running fine (knock on wood) and I only filled half of my 120GB drive (some game installs, tons of XBLA games, Burnout Revenge Games on Demand download), so I'm good at the moment.

I still want a Slim, though. Bigger HDD, built-in wireless... but I don't have the money now, and I think I can scrounge up $400 for the bundle by November 4th. And then I can use the equity on my OG Xbox to get something else- maybe the new Rock Band 3 guitar, or the new Need for Speed game... I guess it depends on how much I can get for it.

Has anyone's order shipped yet from Amazon? Mine still has yet to ship, but the day is young. I hope they didn't take more orders than they had shipped. :/

Fakto said:
Most games stream large quantities of data from the disc. In order to facilitate this, the Xbox 360 has a really fast drive, i think it is like 16X. This means that the disc is spinning REALLY fast in order to keep up with the demands of the game. If the console is jostled or moved, the disc will tilt and come into contact with the laser head. Since it is moving at such a high RPM, the mere seconds of contact with the head might equate to 1000 revolutions on the disc, creating huge circular scratches.

lherre

Accurate
I don't know if someone has put it before, but in Spain (on the MS twitter) the price and date are:

- 16th july

- 250 euros

MoxManiac

Imperial Hot said:
Most games stream large quantities of data from the disc. In order to facilitate this, the Xbox 360 has a really fast drive, i think it is like 16X. This means that the disc is spinning REALLY fast in order to keep up with the demands of the game. If the console is jostled or moved, the disc will tilt and come into contact with the laser head. Since it is moving at such a high RPM, the mere seconds of contact with the head might equate to 1000 revolutions on the disc, creating huge circular scratches.

All 360 games can be installed to the HDD right? Would this mitigate this risk?

Fakto said:

When the issue first cropped up people dissecting the drives said there was a stabilizer component missing from he drives that is present in most optical drives. I guess MS just figures moving the console is a non-issue so they'll do what it takes to cut costs.

Rich!

Majine said:
Bluray discs are always fine. Special coting, you know.

Again, working at a rental store, this in particular is a godsend. In two years of working there, I've never once seen a damaged/scratched blu ray disc. It's unfuckingbelievable.

The amount of damaged DVDs (film and game) are in the hundreds though.

Lo-Volt said:

They are just trying to clear stock of the old models. Once that happens don't be surprised to see the slim arcade emerge and the prices set at $150 and $250. And once that happens, thats when they can set the price of Kinect and the Bundles.

Manus

I don't think the price is bad at all for what you're getting. People forget that a XBOX wireless router used to run $100. $300 seems right for the new 360.

LiK said:
Kinda sucks that the old HDDs ain't compatible with the new one. Oh well.

You can, if you remove the old HDD from the enclosure. The new one doesn't have a proprietary connector anymore, it's just the standard sata connector.

bk3qmdq0nwncx8l3h.jpg

Top Bottom