• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV might receive additional PS4 Pro support post launch

dealer-

Well that is disappointing as hell. That renders my interest towards a PS4Pro non existent. I mean Pro wont even have better AA for people with 1080p display? Or better performance?

I dont get how Sony markets the Pro. I mean Pro is aimed at people who want more and it seems that at the moment they look like they are the ones being 2nd rate customers.

I mean at this point it's best to wait a couple of months to see how these Pro upgrades pan out for new games. I see no reason to buy day one, it's sort of like pre ordering a game and you don't know exactly what you're going to get.

JBwB

Tabata and his team should at the very least enable supersampling for those using the Pro on 1080p screens.
Doing so should provide a very noticeable increase in IQ (little to no aliasing, sharper textures etc.).

DBT85

Yeah, I have my Pro on order and its staying there.

But damn if that's exactly what you don't want a huge title to say about it (no matter how accurate the statement) this close to launch. At all.

brawly

That might be it for me and the Pro, at least this year. Could use the money for the NS anyway.

I'll wait for digital foundry.

Mediking

Future Pro owners shouldn't be that disgusted. Isnt there footage of FFXV looking super sexy on Pro? Heck, Mass Effect: Andromeda will be the true gem on it.

I didn't really expect any different. It was pretty clear they had their hands full trying to meet the September, and then now November deadline. So I didn't really expect any significant adjustments asides from some basic stability and IQ improvements, which would mainly be a result of a higher resolution or HDR. (Based on the demos I saw, that's probably already going to do wonders for the game). This would probably be the case for many pro-enabled titles for at least the short term.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the sole reason im getting a pro anything before or after that is just a bonus i will be happy with jsut 4k and hdr support.

Aters

Tomb raider?(square enix)
Killing floor?
Mass effect?(ea)
2k17
Watch dogs 2,for honor (ubisoft)
I'm sure theres more

FFXV supports 4k, HDR,and I think it will have a more stable framerate, so it does support PS4 Pro. It's just not the kind of support I was hoping for. And I'm willing to bet that EA and Ubisoft aren't planning anything special either.

DBT85

FFXV supports 4k, HDR,and I think it will have a more stable framerate, so it does support PS4 Pro. It's just not the kind of support I was hoping for. And I'm willing to bet that EA and Ubisoft aren't planning anything special either.

This is good, the OP makes it sound like its doing nothing at all.

FFXV supports 4k, HDR,and I think it will have a more stable framerate, so it does support PS4 Pro. It's just not the kind of support I was hoping for. And I'm willing to believe that EA and Ubisoft aren't planning anything special either.

tbh that's good enough for me, if the fps is better that works for me. Just as long as I get the best version of it.

Now to get a 4KTV... I was waiting for Black Friday but I dunno, unless you get in on one of those crazy deals it's not really better to wait IMO.

Elios83

He's just saying that they have no time to do a remaster of the game on the Pro.
But there will be surely resolution and frame rate improvements and some minor graphical differences just like there are differences between the base PS4 and Xbox One versions.
We'll find out when the game is launched.

Mass effect is already said to have a more significant boost and ubisoft being marketing partners with Sony several times you think their titles won't? Alright than

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mass effect is already said to have a more significant boost and ubisoft being marketing partners with Sony several times you think their titles won't? Alright than
Yep. There was a thread on that just the other day.

For XV Square should do a comparison video like they did for World of Final Fantasy PS4 and Vita.

Philippo

I hope we get some proper footage or at least a detailed description of the features before Nov 10.
PGW livestream maybe?

This makes sense. If they wanted to take full advantage of the Pro hardware, they would've needed to be working on that alongside the standard version. Tabata and the team need their rest. Get this game out the door and take some time for yourselves.

Yep. There was a thread on that just the other day.

For XV Square should do a comparison video like they did for World of Final Fantasy PS4 and Vita.
Yup I get thet don't want to downplay the og ps4 version which thanks to the delay looks fantastic but at the same time gotta show potential customers what they're getting as well

LordKasual

Banned
I thought people who saw it behind closed doors at TGS said it looked incredible?

Huge bummer if there's hardly any upgrades on the Pro version :/

Well, gamescom footage compared to current footage is incredible.

It's possible that the Pro version was just a better quality of the current build, in HDR and 4K. After looking at base footage, i can't really tell if PS4 Pro is that much different, if you fix some aliasing and push back the shadow drawing a bit on current footage, it'll probably look very similar to the Pro build.

Yeah, thinking people who are saying this is a slight misunderstanding are correct. They don't have time to optimize deeply for Pro, but it will offer basic support that improves the IQ. If they manage to sneak LOD improvements in as well, that's enough for me to be satisfied with a pro purchase.

Rodin

Look, all i need is 1080p all the time with decent AA (even SMAA or TAA) and stable 30fps. Seeing what other devs are doing i don't think it should be that hard to have a patch for this in december.

firelogic

So one game dev says they're not going to do much for the Pro because they're largely incompetent (10 years to put out a game) and suddenly the Pro is worthless?

JBwB

Sounds like a PC version will come out eventually. Will probably just wait for that.

Be prepared to wait a while as Tabata did say it could take a year for the PC version to arrive.

I'll definitely double dip when it does.

benzy

I thought people who saw it behind closed doors at TGS said it looked incredible?

Huge bummer if there's hardly any upgrades on the Pro version :/

It has 4K + HDR support. Tabata is talking about taking "full advantage" of Pro like with the PC version, things like redoing the lighting on top of the base features which they don't have time to do right now. For Instance, Uncharted 4 has already released and it's currently "undergoing retooling ('they're taking another look at rendering strategies,' says Cerny)" since they have time to do it.

We don't know what the 1080p mode entails for XV, but if they already support 4K then downsampling that to 1080p wouldn't be hard to do.

XV Pro Impressions from people who saw it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/16/early-impressions-final-fantasy-xv-playstation-4-pro/

Those who attended highly praised the high resolution, splendid texture, and smooth and stable framerate of Final Fantasy XV on PlayStation 4 Pro. Additionally, they said that the texture of the trees and plants on the field were really impressive, making it look like a completely different game from the original.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/2587/tgs-trailer/p13

Gamergen impressions of XV Pro:

"What does FFXV PS4P bring to the table ? Well, in three words: it is MAGNIFICENT !
Between the demos we tested and gameplay videos we've seen so far, we can confirm, yes, this production will be much more flashy on the new hardware . Because the aliasing has almost disappeared and the clipping is better managed.

Optimization for a 4K picture, it brings several things. First, a sharpness in textures that literally explodes the retina. Everything is beautiful, everything is clean, it's breathtaking. Then the colors are dazzling and showy"

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/2587/tgs-trailer/p7

"Gameblog saw the PS4P version behind closed door at the TGS , the guy on the video is talking like he saw the best thing ever .

For him the IQ is perfect and the draw distance is on another lvl , the PS4P pro version exploits the full potential of Luminous Engine .
He also says it is the best PS4P upgrade he has seen (maybe the only one truly worthwhile according to him ) ."

Yup I get thet don't want to downplay the og ps4 version which thanks to the delay looks fantastic but at the same time gotta show potential customers what they're getting as well

Indeed. Just show it. People who choose to stick with vanilla ps4 will simply have graphics that can't compare to the pro. It is what it is. That's their choice

Well, gamescom footage compared to current footage is incredible.

It's possible that the Pro version was just a better quality of the current build, in HDR and 4K. After looking at base footage, i can't really tell if PS4 Pro is that much different, if you fix some aliasing and push back the shadow drawing a bit on current footage, it'll probably look very similar to the Pro build.

Yeah, actually this might be the case. I was pretty impressed on how much better the latest and final build looked compared to everything else shown prior.

If anything, I hope it at least runs better on the Pro.

//DEVIL//

I thought Sony mandated that every game released after September had to have a PS4 Pro mode?

can you mandate Square Enix with a game like Final Fantasy 15 ? what will you tell them ? release a PRO version or no game for you on our system ? it just pretty much spells doom for the playstation if Sony tries to piss them off and they go exclusive with another console.

Besides, FF15 was in development long time ago and the game needs to be out. i guess sony does too understand sometimes there is a deadline it has to be reached ?

Also, the game already take some advantage of the PS4 pro as far as i know like HDR and 4K

Elios83

It has 4K + HDR support. Tabata is talking about taking "full advantage" of Pro like with the PC version, things like redoing the lighting on top of the base features which they don't have time to do right now. For Instance, Uncharted 4 has already released and it's currently "undergoing retooling ('they're taking another look at rendering strategies,' says Cerny)" since they have time to do it.

We don't know what the 1080p mode entails for XV, but if they already support 4K then downsampling that to 1080p wouldn't be hard to do.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/16/early-impressions-final-fantasy-xv-playstation-4-pro/

Those who attended highly praised the high resolution, splendid texture, and smooth and stable framerate of Final Fantasy XV on PlayStation 4 Pro. Additionally, they said that the texture of the trees and plants on the field were really impressive, making it look like a completely different game from the original.

"What does FFXV PS4P bring to the table ? Well, in three words: it is MAGNIFICENT !
Between the demos we tested and gameplay videos we've seen so far, we can confirm, yes, this production will be much more flashy on the new hardware . Because the aliasing has almost disappeared and the clipping is better managed.

Optimization for a 4K picture, it brings several things. First, a sharpness in textures that literally explodes the retina. Everything is beautiful, everything is clean, it's breathtaking. Then the colors are dazzling and showy"

Gameblog saw the PS4P version behind closed door at the TGS , the guy on the video is talking like he saw the best thing ever .

For him the IQ is perfect and the draw distance is on another lvl , the PS4P pro version exploits the full potential of Luminous Engine .
He also says it is the best PS4P upgrade he has seen (maybe the only one truly worthwhile according to him ) .

Yes Tabata is just talking about remaking the game taking full advantage of the specs from the ground up, that of course is not happening, they should have developed the game with Pro in mind long ago.
They are definetly going to have the standard combo of higher resolution or better frame rate + HDR that the Pro is offering in general in games. Some other graphical tweaks to scalable features will be a bonus.

benzy

Here's another take on the interview.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/15839/why-tabata-do-not-show-off-ffxv-on-ps4-pro#latest

"It seems that, like the PC version, they weren't planning to do a PRO Patch at first (cause, you know, the original release was at September 30th without PRO features), so, in Tabata's words, to take advantage of PRO's features, they would need a lot of time that they don´t have right now.
But Tabata thinks that, after the release of the game, taking the time they need, they will be available to create a PRO patch that uses better PRO`s features.

The interviewer talks about 4KHDR and Tabata doesn't deny it, so, for now, 4KHDR is the unique feature of PRO version."​

HardRojo

I'm not expecting big games releasing close to Pro's launch to take full advantage of the hardware, they've been in development for too long to have to dedicate more time to a new configuration, especially FFXV, plus SE have already shown Pro footage and they're adding improvements like 4k and HDR. People will see what they want to see though.

"Gameblog saw the PS4P version behind closed door at the TGS , the guy on the video is talking like he saw the best thing ever .

He also says it is the best PS4P upgrade he has seen (maybe the only one truly worthwhile according to him ) ."

This.
Also, isn't it the case that if it has a 4k mode, it automatically downsamples the image for an HDTV?

Top Bottom