• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV might receive additional PS4 Pro support post launch

ethomaz

Banned
Your comment came across as more than just IQ, which is why I posted gifs of more recent builds. Lighting, shaders, vegetation rendering, animations are all competitive for current-gen. Plus regarding the IQ comment, that's what the pic is for. There isn't much in that screen that's worse than the IQ of other open world games on console.
Do you want compare with others 30fps games this gen? That is a good gap in IQ terms.

kevin1025

Banned
We have reports of how good looks on Pro.
Don't believe his lies.

But the reports could be because of the 4K TV with HDR along with the improved image quality. I'm wondering if 1080p users will get the same experience on base PS4 and Pro, image-wise.

ethomaz

Banned
But the reports could be because of the 4K TV with HDR along with the improved image quality. I'm wondering if 1080p users will get the same experience on base PS4 and Pro, image-wise.
At least downsample I guess... the exactly same Pro mode downsampled to 1080p.

This seems to be what's happening.

Yeah, I think they want to dissuade the notion that the base version is 'broken'' vis a visit the Pro one.

As it stands the Pro only give a marginal headroom improvement on CPU clockspeed so I don't expect performance to be night and day compared to the base version, though the extra gig of available RAM might help as well.

benzy

Do you want compare with others 30fps games this gen? That is a good gap in IQ terms.

Every console game has IQ flaws. There isn't a massive gap in XV's final IQ compared to other 30fps games as you claim. The IQ was trash before the optimization though.

image_final_fantasy_xv-33442-2754_0001.jpg

gears4hairditherbrickz2o3v.jpg

QTHVquX.png

Y1FbWf0.png

fh3vbscreenshot-origiutr6u.png

Mcdohl

Well, Ps4 Pro pre-order cancelled.

I went from day 1 to cancelling it lol :(

I might come back to it one day, but the hassle of getting a new TV is a big entry barrier for me.

Slaythe

I mean, the draw distance is said to be good yet the only thing we saw proves it's still garbage. And not being an elitist fuck here, if you see the things pop out when you're next to them, it's garbage, I don't want to hear any excuse. The fact that it's a bit better doesn't make it good by any standard.

But just give me AF and I'll be happy. I can't play this with the no AF they have going on with the ps4 version.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I might come back to it one day, but the hassle of getting a new TV is a big entry barrier for me.

This seems a bit dramatic. We already know the Pro version is improved from the people who have seen it.

Wagram

The IQ has definitely come a long way from those really bad screens/trailers they showed in the past. I don't really have any complaints anymore, but it would be nice to see some small IQ/frame rate improvements on Pro. If Digital Foundry proves they exist, i'll still probably buy one.

Rappy

Compared with other open world rpgs it's at the same level, maybe with better lighting and definitely better animations, i don't see that gap.
Other games might have better textures and foliage among other things, but it isn't exactly a "good gap". There's also the incredibly designed/detailed monsters around the world:

Alej

Banned
Other games might have better textures and foliage, but the gap isn't big. There's also the incredibly designed/detailed monsters around the world:

And people always forget the animations. Those are a gen ahead of the concurrence and quite expansive.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Actually sounds good so far. Now I just need to know how FFXIV will behave on a PS4P connected to a 1080p TV

Tyaren

Hah! :p I told you guys we are not getting more than 4k and HDR and I told you guys that what you saw in this oh so great Pro footage was just a higher resolution and nothing more when everyone saw better lighting, foliage and LOD.

I wonder if by 4K, they mean the dynamic 4K resolution of Deus Ex: MD or checkboarding/geometry rendering.

In either case, I do expect some obvious visual advantage for the PS4 Pro at launch with improved visuals later down the line.

Nipo

Hassle? Order the LG B6. Done. Now if you mean expense that is another story.

Rappy

This seems a bit dramatic. We already know the Pro version is improved from the people who have seen it.

Well, that escalated quickly

Even though we have actual hands on impressions, people still gonna people I guess.
The reaction to the statement is little bit dramatic but the action of cancelling a pre-order isn't really, is it? It's not like the Pro is selling out of pre-orders from what I've seen. But yeah, this really isn't solid info on the improvements will actually be, so we're not much any less in the dark than what we had before this info.

Aalvi

how do 1080p tv owners downsample from 4k modes on pro?

I really want to buy a pro but a 4k tv doesn't seem like a possibility this holiday(and tbh I didn't have my current tv for that long so I feel weird doing a switch). So I'm really hoping 1080p users get something worthwhile out of all of this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
how do 1080p tv owners downsample from 4k modes on pro?

I really want to buy a pro but a 4k tv doesn't seem like a possibility this holiday(and tbh I didn't have my current tv for that long so I feel weird doing a switch). So I'm really hoping 1080p users get something worthwhile out of all of this.

1080p TV's will have advantages like supersampling and some developers are option to put in 1080p modes with enhanced effects etc.

Ultimately the advantages are up to the developer, but short of the higher resolution, 1080p TV owners will get boosts too.

Tratorn

Hah! :p I told you guys we are not getting more than 4k and HDR and I told you guys that what you saw in this oh so great Pro footage was just a higher resolution and nothing more when everyone saw better lighting, foliage and LOD, lol.

Maybe you should read the thread before posting something like this. ;)

XV Pro Impressions from people who saw it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/16/early-impressions-final-fantasy-xv-playstation-4-pro/

Those who attended highly praised the high resolution, splendid texture, and smooth and stable framerate of Final Fantasy XV on PlayStation 4 Pro. Additionally, they said that the texture of the trees and plants on the field were really impressive, making it look like a completely different game from the original.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/2587/tgs-trailer/p13

Gamergen impressions of XV Pro:

"What does FFXV PS4P bring to the table ? Well, in three words: it is MAGNIFICENT !
Between the demos we tested and gameplay videos we've seen so far, we can confirm, yes, this production will be much more flashy on the new hardware . Because the aliasing has almost disappeared and the clipping is better managed.

Optimization for a 4K picture, it brings several things. First, a sharpness in textures that literally explodes the retina. Everything is beautiful, everything is clean, it's breathtaking. Then the colors are dazzling and showy"

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/2587/tgs-trailer/p7

"Gameblog saw the PS4P version behind closed door at the TGS , the guy on the video is talking like he saw the best thing ever .

For him the IQ is perfect and the draw distance is on another lvl , the PS4P pro version exploits the full potential of Luminous Engine .
He also says it is the best PS4P upgrade he has seen (maybe the only one truly worthwhile according to him ) ."

Tyaren

Maybe you should read the thread before posting something like this. ;)

Lol, first of all it has been confirmed that the PS4 Pro footage of FFXV shown in the Sony trailer and on conventions was just a video and not real/live Pro gameplay. Secondly the high praises of the journalists was basically the usual Pro gushing.

"What does FFXV PS4P bring to the table ? Well, in three words: it is MAGNIFICENT !

When people watched the TGS trailer everyone was also like: This looks so much better, this is probably PS4 Pro material! Guess what? It wasn't. People hyped for the Pro want to see these improvements and when they see pretty footage it is of course Pro material in their minds. It's what you call the Placebo Effect.

FFXV will get it's mandatory Pro mode and it will be in 4K plus HDR, but better textures, better lighting, better LOD. Dream on. They just confirmed it won't have these kinds of improvements today themselves.

Lol, first of all it has been confirmed that the PS4 Pro footage of FFXV shown in the Sony trailer and on conventions was just a video an not real/live Pro gameplay. Secondly the high praises of the journalists was basically the usual Pro gushing.

When people watched the TGS trailer everyone was also like: This looks so much better, this is probably PS4 Pro material! Guess what? It wasn't. People hyped for the Pro want to see these improvements and when they see pretty footage it is of course Pro material in their minds. It's what you call the Placebo Effect.
That's what I'm thinking as well.
I'll believe it once SE prepares some direct comparison footage which I don't expect them to do, so someone else will have to do it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lol, first of all it has been confirmed that the PS4 Pro footage of FFXV shown in the Sony trailer and on conventions was just a video an not real/live Pro gameplay. Secondly the high praises of the journalists was basically the usual Pro gushing.

FFXV will get it's mandatory Pro mode and it will be in 4K plus HDR, but better textures, better lighting, better LOD. Dream on. They just confirmed it won't have these kinds of improvements today themselves.

We don't know if that TGS trailer was the standard PS4. Looking at the newest press footage, it probably wasn't.

Kawngi

This is quite the bummer. Keeping the Pro pre-order but FFXV was one of the games I had assumed would get patched for a Pro upgrade really soon after.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is quite the bummer. Keeping the Pro pre-order but FFXV was one of the games I had assumed would get patched for a Pro upgrade really soon after.

It'll have one at launch. The director is saying in the future he'd like to do one with even more bells and whistles later.

Lol, first of all it has been confirmed that the PS4 Pro footage of FFXV shown in the Sony trailer and on conventions was just a video and not real/live Pro gameplay. Secondly the high praises of the journalists was basically the usual Pro gushing.

The Death Spell footage, which is from PC footage seems to already have better LoD to me than the PS4 version. No reason they couldnt impliment that with the Pro.

Falk

that puzzling face
When people watched the TGS trailer everyone was also like: This looks so much better, this is probably PS4 Pro material! Guess what? It wasn't

Well...

Top 2016 TGS trailer, bottom Polygon's 45 minute video.

Not saying it's PS4Pro footage, but it does look significantly different from stuff we're seeing from what outlets are labeling as 'final build of the game'. That much at least isn't placebo.

edit: timestamps:
TGS2016
Polygon

edit2: brightness/contrast settings, time of day, horrid youtube compression yadda yadda. Who knows until the game is out, really.

PSY・S;221116812 said:
some people are so damn stubborn i swear

Agreed, and I'll be okay if the Pro version at least looks and runs a little better at launch.

It just sucks, kinda, that there's going to be a post-launch patch. The wait has been ridiculous already so I don't suspect anyone will actually wait for that. It's good that it's happening, but it's a bit harder to forgive as they announced a date, delayed two months, and are still going to release the patch later.

It'll be good once that patch hits, but many will have already played through the game by then unless it's a post-haste update. It's good that it will eventually exist though.

Top Bottom