• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV might receive additional PS4 Pro support post launch

Tyaren

"the pro will save us" it literally became a meme at that point.

I even made this gif...

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

But I never really used it since I figured it would be a kinda harsh/inappropriate reply to somone asking for the Pro, even if for the umpteenth time. Well, I did now, not referring to anyone in particular. ;)

So, going off these impressions, there definitely IS a PS4 Pro mode and owners will get to play FFXV in 4K and HDR with a, quite likely, steadier framerate than the standard at the very least.

What are people disappointed about exactly?

Great post by the way.

Sounds more like some people being a little overexited to me... Also, it was confirmed that the FFXV Pro footage was just a video. It wasn't actually running on the system. Last but not least I rather believe Tabata when he says the Pro version will run in 4K mode and with HDR but not much more. They just don't have the time yet.

Kyoufu

So, going off these impressions, there definitely IS a PS4 Pro mode and owners will get to play FFXV in 4K and HDR with a, quite likely, steadier framerate than the standard at the very least.

Great post by the way.

That post you quoted with the quotes are just usual Pro gushing.

It's all just a placebo effect. An illusion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Great post by the way.

People are trying to downplay reasons to buy a Pro I guess.

Chaostar

Really? Even the siliconera one? You sound confident, have you seen it running on pro yourself?

I guess Digital Foundry will settle this one eventually either way. Hopefully well before release day.

Edit:
People are trying to downplay reasons to buy a Pro I guess.
Oh, well, that's a bit sad if true.

29630216291_8b14f12080_o_thumb.jpg

Off-screen, I know, but the IQ seems to be very sharp for what they are doing for the Pro now. Framerate seems to be good as well as seen in the TGS gameplay video they had on display here

Edit: You can see 2 more screenshots of FFXV off-screen on the Pro here: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1020525.html (Thx duckroll!)

Yup. I think it's already getting a nice boost with 4K and HDR, so if they decide to later take the time and go further with the Pro enhancements that'd be a great bonus.

I'm confused. Tabata is saying not to expect any improvements while having already shown an improved version (higher resolution) at TGS?

So which is it?

No he's not. I believe he's just saying they don't have time to go deeper in making the enhancements.

Great post by the way.

This. People ignoring that it will be taking advantage of the Pro right from the start and Tabata's just saying they may do more if they have time later.

Sounds more like some people being a little overexited to me... Also, it was confirmed that the FFXV Pro footage was just a video. It wasn't actually running on the system. Last but not least I rather believe Tabata when he says the Pro version will run in 4K mode and with HDR but not much more. They just doen't have the time yet.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/final-fantasy-xvs-ps4-pro-version-demoed-at-tgs/
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/1...aystation-4-pro-footage-tokyo-game-show-2016/
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/17/catch-a-glimpse-of-final-fantasy-xv-running-on-ps4-pro/

Kyoufu

Me too. Only reason why I wanted it this year. I even have a 4K TV and don't really care about 4K, but better FF XV? Sign me up? Now I canceled my pre-order.

I don't know why you'd cancel if you already own a 4K TV. The improvements from a resolution bump along with HDR would be immense already.

If you didn't have a 4K HDR TV though, I'd totally understand a cancellation.

benzy

Gameblog had pretty negative graphical impressions of the base PS4 version they played at the time. It wasn't placebo / Pro gushing.

xXShuyaXx who was at TGS played the base PS4 floor demo and saw this same PS4Pro footage reel in the same day in person had this to say.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/2647/tgs-demo-build-and-ffxv-pro-footage-impressions/p1

"FFXV Pro footage...

The footage being showed representing PS4 Pro was not actually running on a PS4P. It was a video, but having said that... it was night and day compared to the demo. You could see high quality details as far as you could see."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is a problem. It seems like people don't even understand basic information let alone the concept behind the device, so let me just put it out there simply for those who still don't get it.

FFXV will supposedly support 4K and HDR at launch. That means checkerboard rendering+HDR.

What this means is that for owners with 1080p TV's you will get WAY better AA and image quality in general, because the game is going to be automatically downsampled to your screen from a higher resolution.

This is on top of the fact that you will enjoy stabler framerates than the base version if everything goes to plan.

That is the upgrade that many devs are going to go with by default because it is the easiest, either if its own Scorpio or on Pro.

I am irritated by seeing the same confusion popping up over and over again.

Higher resolution+HDR+stabler FPS automatically means benefit for base PS4 owners over the original PS4 unit even if it is displayed on a 1080p TV.

What exactly is this supposed to show me? o . O

Where are you getting "confirmed it's just video" it says S-E and Sony were demoing it on Pro hardware.

novacrystallis said:
showing off a small bit of gameplay on the new machine.

siliconera said:
Keep in mind that the demo at Tokyo Game Show has it on a 4K TV, but the YouTube video compresses it down to 1080P, and we’re not getting a proper look at its framerates either. While we’re not getting the full experience or anything near it, we have a better idea exactly how much Square Enix is showing off of the PS4 Pro version with the demo.

dualshockers said:
If you want a glimpse on Final Fantasy XV running on PS4 Pro, Sony Interactive Entertainment has been showcasing a small snippet of gameplay at Tokyo Game Show.
While it’s not easy to spot the differences like this (he clearly means though off-screen youtube), YouTube user akky GTO managed to capture the video on camera, and this is what we get for now. I have seen it running with my own eyes (but was not allowed to film it) and it looks really pristine.

Chaostar

Another thing I was wondering...

Since FFXV is confirmed to be Pro ready, does that mean that people with 1080p TV's will automatically get supersampled IQ when playing on Pro? Also there's mention of greater draw distance in those impressions, this will of course apply to 1080p sets too.

I'm really tempted to get a 4K TV for Pro launch so I'm looking for reasons to possibly hold off until Feb (Horizon:ZD and possible price cuts).

Edit: Completely missed this post before asking my question, apologies.
What this means is that for owners with 1080p TV's you will get WAY better AA and image quality in general, because the game is going to be automatically downsampled to your screen from a higher resolution.

Higher resolution+HDR+stabler FPS automatically means benefit for base PS4 owners over the original PS4 unit even if it is displayed on a 1080p TV.

This is a problem. It seems like people don't even understand basic information let alone the concept behind the device, so let me just put it out there simply for those who still don't get it.

FFXV will supposedly support 4K and HDR at launch. That means checkerboard rendering+HDR.

This is on top of the fact that you will enjoy stabler framerates than the base version if everything goes to plan.

That is the upgrade that many devs are going to go with by default because it is the easiest, either if its own Scorpio or on Pro.

Good post. I'll be satisfied with a good framerate and down sampling.

Tyaren

Where are you getting "confirmed it's just video" it says S-E and Sony were demoing it on Pro hardware.

Because other articles confirmed it was a video...and have you ever seen live gameplay that switches from scene to scene in an instant, with nobody playing it?

Another thing I was wondering...

Since FFXV is confirmed to be Pro ready, does that mean that people with 1080p TV's will automatically get supersampled IQ when playing on Pro? Also there's mention of greater draw distance in those impressions in thinkng this will of course still apply to 1080p sets.

Yes, the image will be automatically supersampled and look much cleaner on your 1080p TV.
The improved draw distance is imo just imaginary though. I said it back then, I say it now after Tabata confirmed it, there won't be improvements like that. Improvements like better lighting, better LOD and better textures you are only going to have in a dedicated 1080p mode with additional graphical bells and whistles. FFXV is apparently not going to have that mode yet.

This. It's complete insanity. Tabata is even saying it has Pro enhancements right from the start, just that they can/may or may not do more later.

dealer-

What this means is that for owners with 1080p TV's you will get WAY better AA and image quality in general, because the game is going to be automatically downsampled to your screen from a higher resolution..

Still confused by this downsampled checkerboard process. How will it differ to normal downsampling?

Because other articles confirmed it was a video...and have you ever seen live gameplay that switches from scene to scene in an instant?

Okay wrong wording, I'm sorry. I meant that in response to the way you were so confidently talking about "just video" combined with all your other comments which were completely downplaying the enhancements and impressions of the footage from people actually seeing it live at events like TGS and the PS Meeting, like it was not something that existed right now, like it's just video so they can fake it or something, when Tabata is confirming here that the game will have these enhancements they were showing off at TGS right from the start.

It may not be being played live but that doesn't mean it's not footage taken from a Pro demo taken directly from a Pro to show off how it looks on a TV next to the regular version. These companies do that all the time and while especially with new games we need to be skeptical, sometimes this late in dev we have to go with it knowing the company will get roasted for showing fake gameplay otherwise gameplay trailers on youtube even this close to release would be meaningless.

LowParry

Oh so there is still sanity in this thread.

Chaostar

Yes, the image will be automatically supersampled and look much cleaner on your 1080p TV.
The improved draw distance is imo just imaginary though. I said it back then, I say it now after Tabata confirmed it, there won't be improvements like that. Improvements like better lighting, better LOD and better textures you are only going to have in a dedicated 1080p mode with additional graphical bells and whistles. FFXV is apparently not going to have that mode yet.

Thanks for the answer but I think you're being too hasty to jump to conclusions. Maybe you could quote/link the parts where Tabata confirms what you are saying because I can't seem to find them?

Ok so let's say we have a PS4 Pro, what happens with FFXV on launch day?

Is it the same as OG PS4, or does it have a Pro Mode where fps/draw distance/AA is much better/stable?

There's so much flip-flopping going on between sites and responses, I don't know what to believe anymore and it's frustrating as heck.

OR Is this best left as "who knows" until we get a proper side by side done by Digital Foundry?

Inuhanyou

Still confused by this downsampled checkerboard process. How will it differ to normal downsampling?

The checkerboard process is only for 4K televisions to reproject out to 4K pixel density by filling in the reconstructed image with pixels from different frames.

If your downsampling from this 'checkerboard mode', the checkerboard effect is disabled. The reason for this is because checkerboard rendering by default requires atleast double the pixel ratio of 1080p to reconstruct the image properly.

So for example, to checkerboard Mass effect for example, they are using 1800p as the base resolution, and then checkerboarding that to scale to 4K displays.

If you have a 1080p TV, the checkerboarding process will be eliminated and the game will downsample from 1800p to your 1080p television.

*EDIT*

Piccio beat me to it, much simpler infact.

dealer-

1080p <downsampling< 1800p >checkerboard> 4K

The checkerboard process is only for 4K televisions to reproject out to 4K pixel density by filling in the reconstructed image with pixels from different frames.

If your downsampling from this 'checkerboard mode', the checkerboard effect is disabled. The reason for this is because checkerboard rendering by default requires atleast double the pixel ratio of 1080p to reconstruct the image properly.

So for example, to checkerboard Mass effect for example, they are using 1800p as the base resolution, and then checkerboarding that to scale to 4K displays.

If you have a 1080p TV, the checkerboarding process will be eliminated and the game will downsample from 1800p to your 1080p television.

That's great, thanks for the explanation!

Has it been confirmed that this is how the 4K mode of the game will function? Downsampling on PC can be handled by Nvidia's driver (I think), so it would definitely be possible that all the developers needs to do is output a higher res image for the PS4 to then downsample it, but I'm just wondering if we're just assuming that's how that mode functions on 1080p tv's, or if that's already been confirmed.

valkyre

You are irritated because prople expect to have their hardware (which exactly why they paid for), moderately exploited? Let me remind you this is still a console not a PC... we are used to have software optimized to our system not have all the hardware there being in idle and just throw at us a higher resolution and call it a day.

I can understand the fact that it is too early yet for the Pro to get moderate benefits, but if the consumers' mindset is all set and done just with a bump in resolution, devs wont give a shit.

Besides, we have examples of devs who will be giving more than just 4k at launch and others who have confirmed that they will incorporate multiple Pro settings.

So I dont really get how people who supposedly get the Pro to get better graphics irritate you for not receiving them from some devs, when others do offer you that.

Fact of the matter is that while Tomb Raider, Mass Effect and a lot of other games get tangible improvements with Pro, Final Fantasy XV (one of the biggest releases that could do wonders for pro sales) doesnt.

And that. Is disappointing.

Inuhanyou

Has it been confirmed that this is how the 4K mode of the game will function? Downsampling on PC can be handled by Nvidia's driver (I think), so it would definitely be possible that all the developers needs to do is output a higher res image for the PS4 to then downsample it, but I'm just wondering if we're just assuming that's how that mode functions on 1080p tv's, or if that's already been confirmed.

Its been confirmed. Horizon is doing their pro mode specifically in that manner, and they aren't alone.

It is easier to do because it is supported in the SDK, and the hardware supports it.

But in simple terms, if a developer has a single pro mode that is checkerboard rendering, they can't very well just disable the pro mode entirely just because you have a 1080p TV right? The higher resolution would HAVE to downsample.

Doesn't FF15 have a season pass?

If there is a substantial DLC output, by all means, give us more pro features baby. FF15 should still be relevant months after release.

Hmmm. I think it's even better than that. Hasn't it been said that it will downsample from the "near 4K" image not the 1800p image?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine
Days Gone, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn all render up to 2160p with checkerboarding, super-sampling down to 1080p on full HD displays, while the Lara Croft title has multiple modes with explicit 1080p support. Mark Cerny is keen to point out that developers are free to use the checkerboarding tech as they see fit, so we will see many different variations and interpretations.

This seems to imply it's the near 4K image not the 1800p image that is downsampled, but I could be wrong.

Inuhanyou

You are irritated because prople expect to have their hardware (which exactly why they paid for), moderately exploited?

Not what i said, i am irritated because people are actively confused about simple information. If your irritated that a dev you like is not using the hardware to a certain degree(or at all as is the case for many already released games) that's fine.

But it seems like the prevailing notion "I DONT HAVE A 4K TV, THEREFORE THE PRO IS USELESS!"

Not the case by any means, even if they only have a checkerboard rendering mode, by default you will see notable improvements.

That is exploiting the hardware regardless of whether or not they can create new graphics settings to your liking in a little over a month.

Many devs are going to be working on the base PS4 and XB1 until PS5 comes out because MS has ceded any generational standards to hold onto.

This means that the work they put into these iterative units are going to be limited by default to only a few people to give smaller upgrades. Tomb Raider gets so much work done on it because Nixxes is a porting studio, they arent making a new game at the same time they are working on the pro version, their entire existence is to port.

This is not the reality 99% of developers are going to be in when developing games having to keep the PS4, XB1 as well as Scorpio and Pro in mind.

but if the consumers' mindset is all set and done just with a bump in resolution, devs wont give a shit.

Depending on the game and developer that resolution bump can actually be a massive eye opener even when played on a 1080p monitor (let alone a 4K one and that's not even counting HDR, which like 4K checkerboard seems to be relatively easy to enable if a game/engine is already made to support it). Just look at footage of FFXII on the PCSX2 emulator just from making it internally render much higher. Those are PS2 assets and yet only then can you finally see what they really were supposed to look like. It's almost ridiculous that S-E put so much detail on those assets that you can't even make out on a PS2, despite the game being an exclusive never really made to run on anything else lol.

valkyre

Not what i said, i am irritated because people are actively confused about simple information. If your irritated that a dev you like is not using the hardware to a certain degree(or at all as is the case for many already released games) that's fine.

But it seems like the prevailing notion "I DONT HAVE A 4K TV, THEREFORE THE PRO IS USELESS!"

Not the case by any means, even if they only have a checkerboard rendering mode, by default you will see notable improvements.

That is exploiting the hardware regardless of whether or not they can create new graphics settings to your liking in a little over a month.

Many devs are going to be working on the base PS4 and XB1 until PS5 comes out because MS has ceded any generational standards to hold onto.

This means that the work they put into these iterative units are going to be limited by default to only a few people to give smaller upgrades. Tomb Raider gets so much work done on it because Nixxes is a porting studio, they arent making a new game at the same time they are working on the pro version, their entire existence is to port.

This is not the reality 99% of developers are going to be in when developing games having to keep the PS4, XB1 as well as Scorpio and Pro in mind.

The point is though that i will pay 400 bucks and what i will get is downsampling. Sorry but that is not enough in my book, in fact its almost negligible.

The hardware is capable of much much more than just a bump in IQ. Other devs are ready to exploit it. SE wont apparently at launch and Tabata makes it sound like he will need quite some time to provide a proper patch.

So again, I think it is pretty logical and normal to feel disappointed.

Inuhanyou

Hmmm. I think it's even better than that. Hasn't it been said that it will downsample from the "near 4K" image not the 1800p image?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

This seems to imply it's the near 4K image not the 1800p image that is downsampled, but I could be wrong.

That is misinterpreted wording. Whatever base resolution the game is using for the checkerboard rendered image will be used for downsampling. 1800p is relatively close to native 4K as it stands, so they might have been talking about that.

It gets more confusing because some developers are introducing dynamic base resolutions on top of their checkerboard rendering techniqes as well. So Deus ex will actually sometimes render in native 4K depending on load, and will go down to 1800p, checkerboarded up.

That is misinterpreted wording. Whatever base resolution the game is using for the checkerboard rendered image will be used for downsampling. 1800p is relatively close to native 4K as it stands, so they might have been talking about that.

It gets more confusing because some developers are introducing dynamic base resolutions on top of their checkerboard rendering techniqes as well. So Deus ex will actually sometimes render in native 4K depending on load, and will go down to 1800p, checkerboarded up.

or Killing Floor 2 wich will checkerboard up to 1800p and than normally upscale to 2160p

pray for digital foundry lol

Chaostar

Fact of the matter is that while Tomb Raider, Mass Effect and a lot of other games get tangible improvements with Pro, Final Fantasy XV (one of the biggest releases that could do wonders for pro sales) doesnt.

And that. Is disappointing.

So it's only disappointing if you think that 4x the resolution, HDR, possible frame rate and draw distance improvements are not "tangible"... Gotcha.

Edit:
Why do some people seem so sure that the framerate will be better on the pro? Going by the few Pro games Digital Foundry covered, it seemed obvious that the 4k resolution footage, even downsampled, did not run better than the simple PS4

Don't think anyone's "sure" of anything, hence the wild speculation on all sides. The impressions of FFXV on Pro seem to be that the framerate is excellent, which leads to the possibility of better performance, that's all.

Charamiwa

Banned
Why do some people seem so sure that the framerate will be better on the pro? Going by the few Pro games Digital Foundry covered, it seemed obvious that the 4k resolution footage, even downsampled, did not run better than the simple PS4. I don't see why that would be the case for FFXV

valkyre

So it's only disappointing if you think that 4x the resolution, HDR, possible frame rate and draw distance improvements are not "tangible"... Gotcha.

If I -like 95% of the people out there- have 1080p display and dont want to invest in 4K&HDR which is not mature enough technology yet?

You bet.

Why do some people seem so sure that the framerate will be better on the pro? Going by the few Pro games Digital Foundry covered, it seemed obvious that the 4k resolution footage, even downsampled, did not run better than the simple PS4

Also, this... we think its a given Pro games will run at rock solid framerates. So far, DF proves otherwise in many cases...

Imagine if you get a Pro to play the "definitive" version of FFXV, you only have a 1080p display, you get no graphical upgrades apart from downsampling and your game has worse framerate than PS4.

That would be the most epic fail moment in console gaming, like, ever...

Okay, I'll be curious about that. But yeah it is true on top of that that multiple devs are each doing it in their own way which is pretty cool. The Deus Ex version sounds really neat and The Witness is also a prime example of something rather interesting as well.

Inuhanyou

The point is though that i will pay 400 bucks and what i will get is downsampling. Sorry but that is not enough in my book, in fact its almost negligible.

The hardware is capable of much much more than just a bump in IQ. Other devs are ready to exploit it. SE wont apparently at launch and Tabata makes it sound like he will need quite some time to provide a proper patch.

So again, I think it is pretty logical and normal to feel disappointed.

Sure, but at the same time, there is no need to go overboard and fly off the handle like a lot of posters have been doing.

They have only had limited time with the Pro to begin with and have been focusing on the base version as they should, of course they won't have a more substantial pro mode out in time for launch.

I'm actually surprised Tabata is going out and saying that they could do more later, i've actually expected for a while for checkerboarded 4K and HDR to generally be the only improvements the Pro version would get ever.

I thought that on the basis of the Pro not having its own games, its not giving extra sales to PS4 or SE by investing more into utilizing its hardware potential.

Tyaren

Okay wrong wording, I'm sorry. I meant that in response to the way you were so confidently talking about "just video" combined with all your other comments which were completely downplaying the enhancements and impressions of the footage from people actually seeing it live at events like TGS and the PS Meeting, like it was not something that existed right now, like it's just video so they can fake it or something, when Tabata is confirming here that the game will have these enhancements they were showing off at TGS right from the start.

Geez, I am not "completely downplaying" anything. The Pro version of FFXV could of course look considerably better, not just in resolution/image quality and HDR but also with better textures, better draw distance, better lighting etc. The problem is, we will only get these additional graphical improvements if they release a Pro mode containing these improvements. But they won't for the time being. Tabata stated that unambiguously. Quotes from the interviews provided by OP:

in Tabata's words, to take advantage of PRO's features, they would need a lot of time that they don´t have right now.

Also, what about the PS4Pro version of the game, the improvements will consist only in 4K and HDR or there&#8217;ll be modes/configurations for the player to choose how the game looks?...
...About the PS4PRO, it&#8217;s basically the same thing about the PC &#8211; if we wanted to take full advantage of the new hardware that would mean putting in much effort and time to make the game look and run better&#8230;and time is something we don&#8217;t have right now neither we had foreseen the PS4Pro existence before. In the future, with some dedication and time maybe we can get a PS4Pro version of the game that can take advantage of the systems capabilities. But as of right now the game has maxed out the PS4 horsepower."

What's so hard to understand there? What we will get is a 4K and HDR containing Pro mode and no other graphical improvements...at least for now because they don't have the time right now.
The Pro footage we saw so far was in 4K and HDR as well but the improved lighting, draw distance and texture quality (well, 4K might display textures clearer) that the journalists allegedly saw was very likely not actually there. The journalists were excited, the 4K and HDR were so pretty and they automatically assumed everything else was so much improved as well. It's actually fairly natural to think that. Even more so if you don't have a direct comparison to regular PS4 footage. But Tabata now himself said there will be no additional graphical improvements (I sound like a broken record by now, sorry) and I believe him. When I looked at that Pro footage some weeks ago and compared it to the recent regular PS4 gameplay I came to the same conclusion. The draw distance, lighting and texture quality seems to be the exact same as in the regular PS4 version.

Maybe you could quote/link the parts where Tabata confirms what you are saying because I can't seem to find them?

Look in my post above. :)

Inuhanyou

Why do some people seem so sure that the framerate will be better on the pro? Going by the few Pro games Digital Foundry covered, it seemed obvious that the 4k resolution footage, even downsampled, did not run better than the simple PS4. I don't see why that would be the case for FFXV

1. because those are the rules

2. everything you saw was based on pre launch code.

They will do what they have to do make a smooth FPS. They have 30% more CPU power, there is no excuse not to give a better FPS than the base version

valkyre

1. because those are the rules

2. everything you saw was based on pre launch code.

They will do what they have to do make a smooth FPS. They have 30% more CPU power, there is no excuse not to give a better FPS than the base version

It might be the rule, but thus far, many games on Pro dont have rock solid framerates. Not even close I would say. And there isnt much time left to have such drastic changes (but they can release patches further down the road I guess).

Way I understand it, the treatment Pro is getting atm, is similar (actually much worse) to recent bad PC ports. Ie: just throw the game in that hardware, bump the resolution and call it a day. We wont be bothering a lot about either gfx upgrades or even performance.

You are supposed to be investing an extra 400 bucks on this machine to get a premium product, and yet the reality so far is that you get shafted.

Top Bottom