• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV might receive additional PS4 Pro support post launch

Shin-Ra

Do we know if the PS4 can draw UI/HUD elements at native resolution while still getting hardware scaling on the rest of the image?
Compositing varying frame buffer resolutions doesn't require any special hardware on modern platforms.

For what it's worth, Duscae's UI was 1080p, which threw me off when I was pixel-counting.
As another example, on PS3 you had games like Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner HD (HexaDrive version/patch) with a 1920x1080 native flat UI overlay and 3D wireframe HUD elements, while other frame buffers contributing to the 3D world rendering max out at 1280x1080.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-konami-remade-zoe-hd-remaster

ZOEhdHEXA.png

Verendus is proven.

This dude is an insider by the way folks, so there you have it.

Anything new on XVI? :p

Yup, that was a great post Verendus..

For what it's worth, Duscae's UI was 1080p, which threw me off when I was pixel-counting.

And I believe The Witness is doing something like that too for their 4K mode where the UI will be native.

Edit:
http://the-witness.net/news/2016/09/were-doing-a-ps4-pro-patch-here-are-the-technical-details/

When using PS4 Pro with a 4k display, we will render at 1440p or possibly higher, all while keeping a consistent 60 frames per second. This image will then be upscaled to 4k, and we will draw text, menus, and other UI at native 4k resolution. (This is similar to what happens on the base PS4, where we render the 3D scene at 900p, then upscale to 1080p and draw UI at 1080p). We might be able to achieve resolutions higher than 1440p based on various engineering tradeoffs (for example, if we boost the resolution of the main scene to a greater degree than we boost the resolution of the reflections in water, which tend to be distorted anyway. Also, we’ll evaluate checkerboard rendering — we’re not sure if it’s the right way to go for this game, but we’ll see.) We’ll post again when we finalize these specs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did you guys get to check out the most recent build? None of the previews here really touched on technical stuff.
Nope, haven't had a chance to look at the most recent build. I really need to take a look at it at some point as I would really hate for it to release with the same problems from the older August build.

Exoma

Neo Member
Any news on whether or not these "PS4 Pro" features will be present in the Xbox One S?

I want to get the best version of this game. I have an OG Ps4 and an Xbox One S. I'd rather not have to go out and get a PS4 Pro...

Any news on whether or not these "PS4 Pro" features will be present in the Xbox One S?

I want to get the best version of this game. I have an OG Ps4 and an Xbox One S. I'd rather not have to go out and get a PS4 Pro...

I don't see how they could be, given that the XBO S is still behind the PS4 in power.

Hexa

The PS4 Pro version will be the best version of the game on release. The Xbox One S version won't even be the second best, that goes to regular PS4.

It just hit me that when Pro launches Sony will have the two most powerful consoles on the market...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Xbox One S is very marginally powerful. Not anywhere close to what Pro is to PS4.

GPU is only around 65mhz faster and the ESRAM has increased bandwidth of 219GB/s compared to 204GB/s in the original XB1. At most this has a few increased frames per second on games which have unlocked frame rate and slightly less frame drops.

If you haven't, see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5cTcrWy4E

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This dev... not all... some even finished the patch way before launch with 2 Pro modes.

The problem is SE is basically working down to the wire on XV in general while those games are already released. But yes, they've had kits for a while now.

What's going on here? I thought people were praising the improvements in the game's visuals and performance, but dark10x is saying the latest version he had access to had issues and Kagari says they are still crunching.

Vinc

Sony did tell you though. It's left to developers to determine how they'll take advantage of the hardware. Generally, you're talking crisper and better quality visuals. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to demonstrate noticeable improvements either. You're talking from a few days to a few weeks depending on the developer and their aims. And you don't need entire teams or the like. The cost is insignificant.

Having said that, I think there is already plenty of information out there that is going into the more technical mumbo jumbo of how developers are approaching the upcoming titles. Now that may be a little too technical for the likes of you and me, and frankly probably most of the people on this forum, but it's there. And you also do have people on this forum who understand a lot of that stuff, and could likely explain it to you in simpler ways, but there's usually a tendency to overreact everywhere.

This thread, for example, is utterly bizarre. You've got a whole host of misunderstandings based on what people think Tabata is saying, and that's partly his fault for being too straightforward with his words as always, but also them not really understanding what he's saying. I'm no technical wizard (I barely know the terms), but it's pretty clear he's simply talking about taking full advantage of the Pro and he likens it to his aim for a PC version, which is quite different from the approach most developers are taking to the hardware.

In general, no one is going to those kind of lengths. That indicates a significant time investment that seems to indicate a really different version. And you don't really have to do that. (I'm sure if you did, which some developers will eventually, you could probably make something pretty amazing but that doesn't mean you won't be impressed with the other efforts.) I've seen eight Pro titles now on 4K and HD TVs (and that includes FFXV) and the differences are significant and noticeable. That's not just on 4K TVs either, where it's really noticeable, but on HD TVs where the image is visibly crisper and sharper, and just looks a lot nicer. Most of these titles are yet to be complete too (barring Tomb Raider), so it goes without saying that they'll probably still improve somewhat by the time they launch.

Really, the best way to see these is in front of you, and for information online, you'll have to rely on the tech websites to do their analysis of these games. Then you'll know exactly the differences and nitty and gritty technical details in terms of performance and consistency etc. But in general, I would say it's safe to just expect much better visual quality. That's about the only thing that can be said with any confidence.

There's no rush either really. You have plenty of time to make a decision as to whether the console is worth it for you. There's going to plenty of articles about the Pro games soon so you can make an informed decision as to whether the differences are worth it. And whether you get all the FASA, LOG or whatever other nonsense it is, those articles should make it pretty clear.

All I want is confirmation that PS4 Pro improvements are mandated for all future games now. I don't want to buy the system, find out it sold poorly, and that all future games will just run in base mode and downclock my hardware by default, you know? I know there was a leak a long time ago that indicated it would be the case, but I don't think Sony ever confirmed that officially.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What's going on here? I thought people were praising the improvements in the game's visuals and performance, but dark10x is saying the latest version he had access to had issues and Kagari says they are still crunching.

dark10x played the build from August that they were going to ship and patch later before the delay. In general, the game probably needed more time. Two months have already helped a lot but the team is still doing bug fixing and the like... there will still be another day 1 patch of course.

Backflip

Hajime Tabata just came by Gameblog's office and talked, among other things, about the PS4 Pro version of Final Fantasy XV: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/63224-final-fantasy-xv-ps4-pro-hajime-tabata-precise-tout-au-micro

He said that they're working on it and that the PS4 Pro update will be ready by the time the game is released. According to him the game will have better graphics on the PS4 Pro. But what was shown at TGS wasn't the real PS4 Pro version of FF XV. It was a demo created for the event that only showed graphical improvements.

Frostman

Hajime Tabata just came by Gameblog's office and talked, among other things, about the PS4 Pro version of Final Fantasy XV: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/63224-final-fantasy-xv-ps4-pro-hajime-tabata-precise-tout-au-micro

He said that they're working on it and that the PS4 Pro update will be ready by the time the game is released. According to him the game will have better graphics on the PS4 Pro. But what was shown at TGS wasn't the real PS4 Pro version of FF XV. It was a demo created for the event that only showed graphical improvements.

Great to hear, but I suppose we are back to being in the dark.

gyrocombo

Neo Member
Will there be any graphical difference between the Xbox One S and PS4 versions of the game? I am vested in Xbox ecosystem and don't particularly want to switch, but I can't find anything that explains the differences. I assume with PS4's power there will be some differences, but what are they?

For example, Dragon Age Inquisition ran like crap on Xbox, but looks better on PS4. If it is that type of difference I would switch.

Will there be any graphical difference between the Xbox One S and PS4 versions of the game? I am vested in Xbox ecosystem and don't particularly want to switch, but I can't find anything that explains the differences. I assume with PS4's power there will be some differences, but what are they?

For example, Dragon Age Inquisition ran like crap on Xbox, but looks better on PS4. If it is that type of difference I would switch.
It'll look better on PS4. Wait until digital foundry has their video up and then decide.

Jeels

I might just end up waiting for them to do the PS4 Pro patch before even playing the game then. I have no interest in the story after the travesty that was Kingsglaive so I don't really care if I get accidentally spoiled on GAF.

Frostman

The question is, will they put out footage of the Pro version or not.

There's no reason why they shouldn't show it, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we were just given details on a blog post.

On the other hand, Sony might have footage lined up for the launch of the Pro. Maybe a short trailer. Considering this is a big fall game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yes, the XB1 version is already running at a much lower resolution.

gyrocombo

Neo Member
Yes, the XB1 version is already running at a much lower resolution.

Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find anything before but searching google on resolution I found the article below. DA ran at 900pish and really looked bad at some spots.

"During a livestreamed Active Time Report event from Tokyo, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata gave a few more pieces of information on the game.

He specified that currently the game runs with dynamic resolution on both PS4 and Xbox One. The version on Sony’s console runs between 900p and 1080p, while being close to holding the 30 FPS target. The Xbox One version runs between 765p and 900p and even here frame rate is close to 30 FPS.

That said, he clarified that work on optimization isn’t finished, and the team will continue to work on it until launch, especially on stabilizing the frame rate. On top of that, improvements to the graphics are also undergoing, and as an example the team has been working on improving the look of trees and shrubs at intermediate distances, which will be better in the final game."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08...tion-more-details-on-second-half-of-the-game/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find anything before but searching google on resolution I found the article below. DA ran at 900pish and really looked bad at some spots.

"During a livestreamed Active Time Report event from Tokyo, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata gave a few more pieces of information on the game.

He specified that currently the game runs with dynamic resolution on both PS4 and Xbox One. The version on Sony’s console runs between 900p and 1080p, while being close to holding the 30 FPS target. The Xbox One version runs between 765p and 900p and even here frame rate is close to 30 FPS.

That said, he clarified that work on optimization isn’t finished, and the team will continue to work on it until launch, especially on stabilizing the frame rate. On top of that, improvements to the graphics are also undergoing, and as an example the team has been working on improving the look of trees and shrubs at intermediate distances, which will be better in the final game."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08...tion-more-details-on-second-half-of-the-game/

I'm more surprised that none of the press got to show off the XB1 build in the latest round of previews last week. Everything was PS4 so that should tell you something.

Top Bottom