• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

sooooo this thread is scaring me lol. I was going to pick this up on PS4 but now I'm not sure. I did finish it on PS3 but only the main story because of the shitty performance. I couldn't give two shits about mods so those aren't a selling point to me. Having said that does the PS4 version perform that much better than PS3 to warrant a purchase?

Lister

Banned
Coming out this year? No, not really. Dishonored 2 looks alright, but ehh. Not really into Jrpgs or shooters either, so yeah, there ain't really much in the next few months I really want. Saying I'd be playing Skyrim "again" is probably a bit of a stretch too, since I only played through the main quest, which is the supposedly the worst part of the game, lol. Never touched the majority of the side quests and stuff, or played any of the DLC, so there's probably like 200 hours of new content here for me. I was just trying to make sure it's a decent port before jumping in., which it sounds like it is. Also, anybody here played the DLC? Is it any good?

The DLC with all the building stuff is boring, IMHO, but the story content DLC was great.

If you are looking forward to another stint in Skyrim, you cna't really go wrong with the Ps4 remaster, especially if there are no other options for you.

I lost a merchant in Whiterun (the blacksmith lady) because of vampires. I would just complete Dawnguard as soon as possible to avoid any of this.

Ah that's pretty annoying. Thanks for the heads up, I'll do it as soon as it becomes available.

Any impressions on PS4 version in general? Does in run smoothly?

So far so good. The game itself plays much like you will remember, though the frame rate seems a lot more consistent. Also, they seem to have made the game a bit more colourful which is a nice improvement.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
sooooo this thread is scaring me lol. I was going to pick this up on PS4 but now I'm not sure. I did finish it on PS3 but only the main story because of the shitty performance. I couldn't give two shits about mods so those aren't a selling point to me. Having said that does the PS4 version perform that much better than PS3 to warrant a purchase?

Apparently the PS4 version from PS3 version is significantly better by default, and the audio supposedly is a lot better than the other versions of the game for some random reason.

Remember guys: we won't have a definitive answer about the PS4 version's merits until Pro comes out and it's tested on a 4K HDR set. By me :p

oh jezus lmfao, this is probably the lowest effort remaster ever remastered. I cannot believe they neutered the sound quality that much. I noticed the harsh compression earlier but figured it was like that in the old one but I never paid attention because I used to give no fucks about sound quality.

The textures are immediately evident, I don't even know if they ran a sharpening filter on them honestly. I'm kind of sad because I really wanted to play skyrim again but I guess I should just install the old version. Those new shadows look so much better though :( and the godrays are a nice bonus.

Actually I'd say, some issues aside, this is one of the better remasters I've played, if for no other reason then most remasters are terrible. At least the sound isn't completely fucked like the Bioshock remaster. I will say that this probably should've been cheaper than $60, especially on PS4 and its gimped mod support. Greatly reduced load times on consoles is pretty big for me.

Never played the PS3 but I played the 360, which was a better running version than the PS3 one, and the PS4 version performs much better then that.

Hows the loading in the game?

I haven't been to a big city yet, but load times are greatly improved from what I've seen, at least on the ps4.

I only spent enough time with it last night to get through the intro, but I'm hoping that some modders get some quality work ported over to SE because I like the godrays and the fact that it is running as a 64-bit app finally, but otherwise I don't see a reason to play this over the original on PC.

Basically, I'm gonna probably play this some but leave the bulk of my playtime for when the mod scene cleans up Bethesda's game, as usual.

Some quick footage I took of the PC version:

https://youtu.be/nNADr21XM4A

I've played about 2 hours total so far and am absolutely loving it.

I have achieved similar visuals before with a bunch of awesome mods for vanilla skyrim, but this just feels warmer, as in I'm more comfortable knowing that Bethesda has made this and thus the lighting and detail changes are more akin to the original art design, that and the fact that the performance is so much better than modded out vanilla skyrim.

I'm sure that any issues like the audio and textures will be fixed by Bethesda or most likely the modding community in the near future and right now I haven't even noticed these minor problems.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Saw this on reddit yesterday and it was clearly stolen from 4Chan, but I'm thinking about doing something like this to give my playthrough a bit of a theme.

sg1h7z18n0ux.png

So after 600+ hours of Skyrim, this is a welcome idea here for my first foray into the remaster. Using the generator from 1-10 at Random.org, here's what I'm sticking with:

Race: Imperial
Faction: Imperial Army (heh)
Follower: Khajit
Playstyle: Ranger

So after 600+ hours of Skyrim, this is a welcome idea here for my first foray into the remaster. Using the generator from 1-10 at Random.org, here's what I'm sticking with:

Race: Imperial
Faction: Imperial Army (heh)
Follower: Khajit
Playstyle: Ranger

Nice. I got Dunmer/Mage's College/Necromancer Warlock/Knight follower. Shit. I hate Skyrim magic. >_<

What are they getting away with?

From the reports in here, doing a lazy hack job on the "remastered" art and audio.

Soodanim

I was ready to go for a vanilla experience until mods came. But fuck it, sub-par audio and textures mean I'd rather play a modded OG until this is all sorted and mods are back. And to be truthful, I can't live without AutoHarvest. Such an underrated mod. On top of that, there's Skyrim Reloaded that adds AO, borderless fullscreen and decent DOF.

The dream of a more stable 64bit modded Skyrim is still a dream for now.

So, should I play this or the original version on PC?

For now, I'd say original. And I'm someone who uninstalled OG months ago to wait for SE because I wanted to be fresh and enjoy all the new graphical effects like godrays and whatnot. Modded OG is better for now, which is why I'm reinstalling OG as we speak. It's 2GB larger BTW GAF, but I'm sure you all know that already by now.

Mudo

so on PS4 is SkyUI available? pretty much the only thing i can think of id want. or has the UI been improved/is it fine now?ive only played on pc previously (years ago)

Waiting on Amazon (UK) bringing this for Xbox One and World of Final Fantasy today, Still no sign.

How long is the install time for Skyrim on Xbox one Via Disc?

Storm360

For now, I'd say original. And I'm someone who uninstalled OG months ago to wait for SE because I wanted to be fresh and enjoy all the new graphical effects like godrays and whatnot. Modded OG is better for now, which is why I'm reinstalling OG as we speak. It's 2GB larger BTW GAF, but I'm sure you all know that already by now.

Ah, I've never played Skyrim before, is there a list of recommended mods etc to follow?

lem0n

Will I have to wait for the SE in my Steam library if I go and buy the Legendary Edition now? Or will it be an instant thing

kris.

Banned
so last night i started a dunmer archer because that's apparently all i ever play but it's kind of awesome playing through the game again without fast travel or cheating. it feels fresh and challenging. can't wait to get home and play some more.

Eylos

Banned
played a little on my brother pc, the graphics are better, but have a lot of bloom that i don't like, instaled an ENB and looks way better, faces still looks ugly

so IMO if you are a pc gamer and never played skyrim use a few mods and you are ready to go, and the cheap legendary edition is worth it

if you are a console gamer, only buy it if you don't mind the bloom and never played skyrim or you are a hardcore skyrim fan, for this price

I, personally, will wait for the next elder scrolls, skyrim is already saturated for me

Soodanim

Ah, I've never played Skyrim before, is there a list of recommended mods etc to follow?

Start by installing Mod Organizer as your mod manager, it's far and away the best. Nexus Mods just employed the developer because it's that damn good. There's a bit to learn but there's a tutorial that takes you through it all. It's the best manager because it never actually overwrites anything, so you can enable and disable mods as you see fit. http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

Also install LOOT, which is a load order program that will scan what you have and fix the order for you.

There's a few essential mods:
-SkyUI: which adds a much better inventory system and allows hotkeys for favourites, as well as adding the Mod Configuration Menu, which any mod with configuration uses as its interface. It's THE starting mod.
-SKSE: Script Extender, which allows a lot of other mods to do things not normally possible. Like a previous post of mine mentioned, AutoHarvest (which automatically picks up certain items for just by going near) wouldn't normally be possible.
-Unofficial Patches: If you don't have all the DLC then there are older patches, but there is now the USLEEP (Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch) that fixes hundreds of things.
-Texture patches: you'll find the most popular one in the top Nexus files. 2K textures are better than the official HD textures.

Then you can start looking at mods by going through http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/top/? as the standard top mods list, but I also recommend

Skyrim GEMS: http://skyrimgems.com/. Hundreds of gameplay mods. A great resource.

That should get you started.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is anybody with the PS4 version noticing the UI getting clipped around the borders of the screen? Things like the Quicksave message get cut off a bit for me. My system-level screen borders are set fine, and I don't see any menu option within Skyrim itself to adjust it.

is your TV overscanning?

DOWN

Banned
This thread is REALLY interesting. Not only do we learn how awful the new sounds are on PC and Xbox One compared to the original game's, but we learn that the PS4 version of Skyrim Special Edition has sound quality that far surpasses the original game's quality due to Sony's high quality proprietary format.

That also helps explain why Sony wouldn't allow mod content that adds audio. Just guesswork here, but presumably it simply wouldn't have worked unless they released a free version of their sound file system for modders to make use of? And even then modders would have to package their files completely differently for the PS4 versions.
Where did you read that PS4 has higher quality sound in the Special Edition?

Two years of free prime is a nice consolation though... you did get your free prime from the screw up right?

They added a month for the last screw up on Gears, the guy in chat this time was not that giving this time saying that they had a "limited supply" and had to ship my copy from farther away and thats why it was taking longer. I kinda called bullshit since I ordered it the day it became available back in June and if they fill orders on a first order basis, my copy should have been secured long ago, its not like I ordered it Monday or anything. On the phone now, but the lady speaks very poor english, and thought I ordered an Xbox. I dont really want anything free, I'd like them to overnight me the game. My free time is limited, and this weekend was going to be Skyrim time.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
So far so good. The game itself plays much like you will remember, though the frame rate seems a lot more consistent. Also, they seem to have made the game a bit more colourful which is a nice improvement.

Thanks man. That sounds good, played on PC when it released, but tempted to dive back in again on my current plattform. Stable framerate is a big plus!

This is a good place to jump in.

You know what? I think I am going to jump in here. I was going to wait but since the only version that I played was on consoles I missed the whole mod scene as it was happening and what I imagine would be the awe of seeing each new mod that comes out in effect compared to what you are playing atm and the suspense and anticipation of waiting on the next one.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Got my old save working. Seems fine despite the missing mods warning, I only really had tiny ones anyway. Looks pretty good in 4k60, other than the animations which are pretty jarring. Started up Dawnguard which I never got around to playing. My character is clearly hilariously overpowered but I'm enjoying it.

Edit: I noticed the lower quality audio too though, really weird

Top Bottom