• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Morokh

Autodetect was like 'Medium my friend !' I was like 'Yo crank that sh** to ULTRA !*

Turns-out it runs very smoothly ! very surprised.

Game is working perfectly with everything on ultra but I think I'll wait for some of the mods to migrate over, specifically the character creation and hair mods, forgot how hard it is to make a good looking character in vanilla Skyrim.

the TES wiki has a pretty solid breakdown of races here. don't worry about classes because there are none. just go with whatever feels right to you. mess around with different weapons, try out different kinds of magic, and find out which you feel most comfortable using for that playthrough.

Thanks!

gossi

Spent a good 6 hours playing on PS4 just now. Pleased to report it looks fantastic (can't imagine what this will look like at native 4K on PS Pro), the performance is great, and mods work really well. Also, there's a surprising amount of mods on Playstation - even things like making NPCs not talk to you when you walk past, changing carry weight, enable god mode etc.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Thieves don't kill unless they have to! You want to look for an assassin build instead. I personally love to play as a sneaky sniper archer. In high levels of sneak you can clean whole dungeons and forts without being seeing even once. You don't need much Health, and only need Magicka if you also want to mix some spells like the ones from the Illusion school, but sneak is so overpowered that this is not really necessary. Also, you can become a vampire since it has some useful bonus to this build.

Edit: I only realized now that you have already played it a lot, so you probably already knew this and was looking for something more specific. Oh well.

I have a feeling I'll have to add some killing to my repertoire. And yeah I'll backstab the CRAP out of Hadvar with my assassin character. 100 Sneak off the bat!

Any impressions of Xbox One audio? Some of you are making me nervous about the compression.

The only strangeness I'm noticing is the sound when you pick up items. Sounds a bit weird, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, I wish they'd release a mod to get rid of the compass already. I'd make one myself but I'd probably break something in the process.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
I've played Skyrim for over 1000 hours across Steam and 360 and I'm still unsure about a build. I want to make a thief build, that can make it through the main story, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn (This will be my "main" character).

Any ideas of Health/Magicka/Stamina distribution? And perks? Every guide I find always makes an assassin of sort, but I want my DB character to be pure evil and dedicated to murder, not thievery.

Thief build was one of my favorite builds in Skyrim.

Get sneak perk mastered right away. You'll feel like a god as you enter a dungeon and backstab everything before they know what got them. Enchanting and blacksmithing are also great to master early on for just about any class. These 2 are game breaking though and will make the game far too easy. Consider spiking up the difficulty to legendary to keep things balanced.

For health/magicka/stamina. That's a personal choice. I kept it traditional and used no magicka. A ratio of 1/1 health and stamina worked out well for me.

As for weapons. You can't go wrong with dual daggers or dual blades. The crit and speed can get you out of tough situations where you can't stealth your way through. You might want a bow for dragon fights early on. Once you're fully enchanted and fully perked in your 1 handed weapon of choice. You can put away the bow.

dock

What are the best mods to install to make it really easy to play on PS4?

My GF wants to play but has a difficult time with combat in games, and first person makes it harder yet.

Also I'd like to have an easier time, and spend less time with items management. .

Get sneak perk mastered right away. You'll feel like a god as you enter a dungeon and backstab everything before they know what got them. Enchanting and blacksmithing are also great to master early on for just about any class. These 2 are game breaking though and will make the game far too easy. Consider spiking up the difficulty to legendary to keep things balanced.

For health/magicka/stamina. That's a personal choice. I kept it traditional and used no magicka. A ratio of 1/1 health and stamina worked out well for me.

As for weapons. You can't go wrong with dual daggers or dual blades. The crit and speed can get you out of tough situations where you can't stealth your way through. You might want a bow for dragon fights early on. Once you're fully enchanted and fully perked in your 1 handed weapon of choice. You can put away the bow.

Dual blades with elemental fury is a lot of fun.

Pretty well. Bethesda has actually impressed me with their remote play control setups, it has a dedicated control scheme instead of just mapping the ps4 controls to the Vita.

That's huge. The Switch reveal kind of piqued my curiosity in Skyrim on a portable.

It's actually £34.99, so not too bad. But their 2nd hand prices are beyond ridiculous.

The woooooooooooooooorst.

image.php

(The worst in the world)

I'm sorry if people keep doing this to you.

Autodetect was like 'Medium my friend !' I was like 'Yo crank that sh** to ULTRA !*

Turns-out it runs very smoothly ! very surprised.

I had the same experience. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm running it on a GTX 680, so I guess it could struggle (with a Bethesda game anyway). I read that lots of people were having issues with performance in the performance thread, but I had no issues. On a side note, it looks like the max draw distances selectable through the menu have been substantially increased.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I guess the mod textures are better than the SE default ones due to how they are literally crappier while taking up way too much space huh?

DOWN

Banned
Are y'all sure you have your TV set to Screen Fit / Native instead of 16:9?

Many TVs run in 16:9 mode but changing it to Screen Fit fixes any cut off edges for everything basically

Cant play on PC, literally glitches through the tutorial to about 10 minutes in then I'm just stood there waiting for scripted events that never happen. Absolutely unbelievably bad.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I figured I could backstab my way to 100 Sneak in the tutorial dungeon but I was afraid it'd break the level scaling of everything. I might go back and do that. I remember the first dungeon boss being a Draugr Murderboss Deathking when I did that with my assassin char haha. Yeah I'll probably mix bow and one handed weapons. Probably Chillrend and Mehrunes Razor for cool points. I didn't want to spread myself too thin but it seems inevitable anyway. I just don't want a jack of all trades char. I love making specialized characters for every Guild, but this one char will be like my "headcannon" main character lol. I was thinking of meddling in alchemy too.

DeaDPo0L84

First time mod user but already this has made Skyrim a better experience. Using open cities is such a QoL improvement that its odd Bethesda didn't figure this out themselves. Using a ring that gives me 100,000 carry capacity removes the hassle of inventory sorting and dictating what to pick up. Ars Metallica then lets me melt down all those multiple sets of armor to craft pieces I actually want. Alternate start allowed me to start as a Nord that happened upon the shore due to a shipwreck. Seems minor but from my standpoint I at least feel I have a different footprint in the world. So far I'm loving it.

DOWN

Banned
What's the fastest way to master sneak? And archery? Hell, is there a guide to quick master everything without modding?

Gamepad

Anyone think a patch may happen for the overscan on PS4?

Turn off overscan on your TV or go to PS4 settings -> Sound and Screen -> Display Area Settings. This will give you a rectangle to manipulate. Adjust it so the corners are, well, in the corners of your viewable area.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What's the fastest way to master sneak? And archery? Hell, is there a guide to quick master everything without modding?

Sneak you can get to 100 in the tutorial dungeon. When you have to sneak past the bear, backstab Hadvar or Ralof over and over. They never die or care. You'll need your sneaky ways to survive because just getting to the Golden Claw will be hell. Mega Draugrs errwhere!

Staf

Ah, just love burning stuff with my pure mage. Also using the emperor from star wars lightning in slowmotion kill cam is so damn satisfying.

Staf

Oh and thank fuck for a normal dialogue system. Been playing Fallout 4 the last couple of weeks and it's been driving me nuts.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
I figured I could backstab my way to 100 Sneak in the tutorial dungeon but I was afraid it'd break the level scaling of everything. I might go back and do that. I remember the first dungeon boss being a Draugr Murderboss Deathking when I did that with my assassin char haha. Yeah I'll probably mix bow and one handed weapons. Probably Chillrend and Mehrunes Razor for cool points. I didn't want to spread myself too thin but it seems inevitable anyway. I just don't want a jack of all trades char. I love making specialized characters for every Guild, but this one char will be like my "headcannon" main character lol. I was thinking of meddling in alchemy too.

I'm with you on that. I started up a barbarian looking character in likes of Red Sonja. I had to show restraint and not use the heal spell you're given at the start of the game. A warrior would never cast heal spells.

Okay I'm on Xbox downloading Skyrim now. How exactly do mods and achievements work? If I start a new game with mods and later turn them off can I still get achievements on that save?

Top Bottom