• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

SOLDIER

Is there a compatible SE mod that auto-hides the UI? Really want that for when I'm running around outside and want to take a screenshot.

Alternatively a way to just hide it with a controller prompt would also suffice.

GHG

Gold Member
Just played a couple of hours on the PC and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks for the most part. This is a really solid foundation to build on IMO. No need for any enb's, just some texture, character model, and animation mods and I'll be good to go on the visual front.

I really want the immersive HUD mod ASAP though.

Going to play as a sneaky bow wielding Mage this time round. Went with the Breton race. No two handed weapons, no shields and no heavy armour. Should be fun.

Sky87

Am I blind or does the game have significant black crush in some lighting conditions?

You're not alone. My monitor properly supports fullRGB, but this game does have some severe black crush in some conditions. Nothing gamebreaking, but it's certainly not perfect.

I've only played the beginning but I can already tell that this game looks way better than on Ps3/Xbox360. Never played the PC version though. Performance is smooth.

Characters are ugly as hell. But they were ugly as hell in 2011, so...
Animations are still bad but animations are awful in Fallout 4, too.

DOWN

Banned
Archer is key to feeling cool in Skyrim. I played sword the first round and archer second. Archer wins.

Nothing cooler than shooting giants across the tundra.

Whiterun shimmers like crazy when I see it in the distance. Dragonsreach flickers between normal and black.

Wondering if it has something to do with installing and then uninstalling open cities... Oh well.

Also, had two crashes on Xbox so far. Both had to do with talking to people, and both times they deactivated the "Do I know you?" mod. May be a bit broken.

Staf

Archer is key to feeling cool in Skyrim. I played sword the first round and archer second. Archer wins.

You know what's cooler? Shooting freaking icebolts! #MAGIC

eshwaaz

Those playing on Xbox One - how noticeable is the compressed audio? I'm leaning toward getting that version for the mods, but audio is really important to me.

Those playing on Xbox One - how noticeable is the compressed audio? I'm leaning toward getting that version for the mods, but audio is really important to me.

It's very strange, it only pops up occasionally. Like, when you're reading a book and turning the pages, one of the page sounds will be distinctly low-fi, while the others are fine. Sound of clinking coin when you pick up septims is compressed as hell, too.

It's not a big issue, imo, and something that'll probably get fixed. Because it's just too weird.

The problem with melee is that it takes ages to kill anything at higher levels/difficulties and the swordplay is so boring.

The problem with archery is that it's so OP the game devolves into rapidly clearing out entire regions by oneshotting everything from total safety, so it feels like you're never actually fighting anything.

Destruction magic is underpowered too, so forget about that.

Honestly, this game has one good attack that's fun to use, powerful, and also requires a modicum of strategy. There's a reason why "Fus Ro Dah" was in all of the marketing.

I just bought the legendary edition and added it to my steam library. Is there anything else I need to do in order to get the new version?

Today is the last day I think for upgrades from legendary to special so just wait for Steam to process your game and you'll see special edition version below legendary.

Gaz_RB

The problem with melee is that it takes ages to kill anything at higher levels/difficulties and the swordplay is so boring.

The problem with archery is that it's so OP the game devolves into rapidly clearing out entire regions by oneshotting everything from total safety, so it feels like you're never actually fighting anything.

Destruction magic is underpowered too, so forget about that.

Honestly, this game has one good attack that's fun to use, powerful, and also requires a modicum of strategy. There's a reason why "Fus Ro Dah" was in all of the marketing.

This is why I'm holding off on another playthrough until someone gets a good combat overhaul going.

Kaz42

Playing as an archer on ps4 with a combat mod that ups player dmg as well as enemy dmg by a ton. Getting one shotted but also one shotting enemies leads to semi tense battles when out in the open. Archer vs archer fights feel like quite a battle and using a tree to block enemy arrows is just too funny to pass up when it arises. I've only killed one dragon so far but I hope the rest aren't easy to take down when using this mod. I want the dragon fights to at least last more than 10 secs which is how the first fight went.

My character will be a sneaky archer that also uses illusion magic. Going to go with alchemy as my crafting skill. I'm also using the mod that adds a bunch of new spells into the game but I have yet to come across any of those.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So with there being Toe Jam and Earl music, Blades of Athena, Thomas the Tank Engine etc mods being available on consoles already, how long until we get our Magicka Sabers?

Caja 117

I got a question, If i have two characters and decide to use mods in one of them will this affect unlocking achievement with my other character?

Darkgran

Playing as a sneaky archer is SO much fun.

First time I played Skyrim I went with a generic sword and board style. Got burned pretty quickly as melee combat is mind numbingly dull.

Nothing like sniping bandits from miles away.

Also, they didn't "fix" the exploit that allows you to learn archery from the elf and take the money back from him since he's a companion.

LOL

I was just going to post this.

It's amazing.

You still want a code or you good?
Yes please!

Also, I don't remember much from the game but is there a way to change your face later on in the game? I thought I made the right one but after playing around for a bit it looked nothing like the face I thought I made. Or will I have to hope for a mod on the Xbox One version?

Jellie

How do I get mod organisor to work for the special edition. It's not recognising nexus links when I try to download them.
Any ENBs up yet or are they no longer needed?

cackhyena

You guys didn't play sneaky archer the first time out? Y'all fucked up. But I feel like I kinda missed out not playing mage. When I get this down the line, it's gonna be a tough choice. Gonna go XB1 and waiting or a price drop will let all the more mods come out in the meantime.

Never got to finish first time around. Game breaking bug on a side quest.

Best playstyle is a stealth assassin who uses both bows AND twin daggers. Bows are good for when you got some range between you and an enemy, such as outside or in large indoor spaces, but stealth rolling around and stabbing people in the back with daggers in more closed spaces is a great complement to bows. I think I remember dual daggers even worked pretty well when you had to take enemies face on when stealth gets bungled. I never finished my original Skyrim game, but I do remember being in the 50s and still having plenty to do when I quit, with nothing really posing much of a challenge for my double dagger assassin anymore.

I know I should do something different, but I don't think I can resist falling back to that same build when I start the SE. Maybe I can try to mix in some more magic, I don't think I used it much before and remember my restoration spells were pretty weak because of that.

I really do want to dive into Skyrim again but I'm hesitant because of wondering whether I should wait for more mods to be available. Suppose I can start now and add mods later, and just hope I don't want any mods that would require a new game.

Disker

Wow such bullshit.

I just made a character, did some random and main quests. Now i need to talk to the redguard girl in the Bannerd Mare in Whiterun, and out of nowhere Delphine (she shouldn't even be there) and Ulgrid the Unbroken attack me out of nowhere, reload save, same shit happens.

Did nothing wrong, not a vampire etc. Just one of those bullshit bugs they did not fix.

Read a thread about this same random problem (even in other buildings) from a year ago..................

Gonna put this game down, not going to waste another 8 hours if game breaking bugs like this still happen............

(PS4, so nothing i can do...)

Smeags

But you don't need ammo for swords.
I'd love to play a thief or assassin but I hate bows :(

The great thing is that being a thief/assassin is that its all about the backstab damage multiplyer and finding the best way to move around undetected. Really, it's almost a game within a game in how you slowly take each enemy out with your backstabbed buffed daggers/light armor sets. Highly recommended! :D

Kaz42

Yes please!

Also, I don't remember much from the game but is there a way to change your face later on in the game? I thought I made the right one but after playing around for a bit it looked nothing like the face I thought I made. Or will I have to hope for a mod on the Xbox One version?

K, I'll send you a pm

kris.

Banned
dumb question: i'm playing with a controller in an attempt to curb my cheating habits (no hands on keyboard means no urge to hit that tilde) and i don't remember sprint being a toggle. has it always been like this for controllers? i keep finding myself holding down the LB and releasing it expecting to come to a stop but just keep going haha

dumb question: i'm playing with a controller in an attempt to curb my cheating habits (no hands on keyboard means no urge to hit that tilde) and i don't remember sprint being a toggle. has it always been like this for controllers? i keep finding myself holding down the LB and releasing it expecting to come to a stop but just keep going haha

As far as PC version goes with a gamepad, sprint was always a toggle. :p Just tap it to get into the sprint movement.

oneils

Just installed this on my pc. I think it looks pretty good, I like their implementation of depth of field. The only thing I'd like to see improved is hair and ground textures.

I don't see any texture mods, yet, in the in-game store.

Anyone know if we can expect those to be available in-game?

Alt-tabbing from the game still sucks. Can't seem to do it properly.

The great thing is that being a thief/assassin is that its all about the backstab damage multiplyer and finding the best way to move around undetected. Really, it's almost a game within a game in how you slowly take each enemy out with your backstabbed buffed daggers/light armor sets. Highly recommended! :D

Hmm...I should try this. But aren't there sections or moments where you're forced to use melee attacks? How do you do this with daggers and light armor?
Also, I like killing enemies in RPG's :)

Playing as a sneaky archer is SO much fun.

First time I played Skyrim I went with a generic sword and board style. Got burned pretty quickly as melee combat is mind numbingly dull.

Nothing like sniping bandits from miles away.

Also, they didn't "fix" the exploit that allows you to learn archery from the elf and take the money back from him since he's a companion.

I think this is why I never understood the criticism of the combat first time round. I love the archery.

Halted Stream Camp is still such a great place for early game wealth. Mine it out, find the Transmute spell tome at the end and just turn all your iron ore to gold.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom