• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Kathanan

Is the Xbox one version good?

I like it.. much better than the 360 version.. load time when entering a building on 360, around 12 sec.. on the One, 3 sec.. it runs so smooth.. the sound is alot better too. echos when npc talk in large spaces.. i think they added new sounds to the game.. im not sure.

Finally diving into this. Made a Khajiit named Neogaffe. 🤔 Going to go with archery and spells the whole way through. Not bothering with shields and two handed weaponry.

This game looks phenomenally better (Xbone) than it did on 360. So good.

Feels great to be back, though I'm not even finished Unbound yet and I'm already over carry capacity, lol. Let the hoarding begin!

Yesterday was 3 pages on nexus SE, now like 9 pages. Keep it up. Interesting to note is that none are texture mods.

Also I hope they actually do something with the PC mod menu? Browsing mods 1 mod at a time on a scroll bar is a joke.
pL3Ldfc.jpg

Yeah I know I've used nexus mod client before but is it fuckin hard for Bethesda to put in some effort to their games?

kris.

Banned
lol it's kinda bullshit that that downloading a mod that fixes a bunch of shit they failed to fix in 5 years disables achievements for console players. i'm kinda surprised they even allowed the unofficial patch tbh.

Staf

Ok, gotta give Fallout 4 one thing. I do miss the loot window that pops up when hovering above stuff in that game. Other than that Skyrim stomps Fallout 4.

Hahahaha one of the many, many reasons I love this game. Endless shenanigans

Agreed!

lol it's kinda bullshit that that downloading a mod that fixes a bunch of shit they failed to fix in 5 years disables achievements for console players. i'm kinda surprised they even allowed the unofficial patch tbh.

It's stupid that they disable them. Visual mods, even mods like better signs, just, ffs.

There is a DF comparison on how they run on the first or second page. Xbox version has all the mods, PS4 version has limited mods, Xbox has heavily compressed audio, PS4 does not.

That's all I know, lol.

Lucifon

Xbox from a gameplay perspective purely because of the mod support. Both versions will run pretty similar outside of the PS4 Pro improvements but the full mod support on XB1 is going to be the gift that keeps on giving for months to come.

Vitacat

Yesterday was 3 pages on nexus SE, now like 9 pages. Keep it up. Interesting to note is that none are texture mods.

Also I hope they actually do something with the PC mod menu? Browsing mods 1 mod at a time on a scroll bar is a joke.
pL3Ldfc.jpg

Yeah I know I've used nexus mod client before but is it fuckin hard for Bethesda to put in some effort to their games?

You expect them to spend a few extra bucks for polish? Bethesda don't play dat.

DOWN

Banned

PS4:
Better audio
Pro mode native 4K
Limited mod support

Xbox One:
Full mod support
Poorly compressed audio

They perform about the same so if mods are not a factor for you, go PS4. If you value mods, it probably makes p for the Xbox One shortcomings.

nubbe

The game seem buggy as hell on PC.
Corpses flying around, static audio at time, floating monster
It seems to happen when the FPS fluctuates around 100...

The original was never this bad for me

lazygecko

You can't play it above 60fps. The engine can't handle it.

Game's not optimized for fps over 60. The physics are tied to fps, and as a result go crazy. Was like that from the start.

Sky87

It's weird, i could play Fallout 4 for 100+ hours with a 100fps cap, and had zero issues. Perhaps got stuck on a terminal once, but that was since patched.

Not sure why it worked fine in that game, it's the same engine. The only thing it affected was the game speed (reloads, movement speed was faster).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Mod support seems to be coming along slowly but surely on PS4. this morning there were about 35 mods supported, now there are 50...i expect it to max out at maybe 150 to 200 in the end.

Which for me is kinda insane coming from an area of zero mod support whatsoever, and generally only having experience with gamesharks years ago for cheat codes.

I can't say i'll use them when i get the game and was previously uninterested, but a lot of the mods people have come up with that work on PS4 are surprisingly clever and really help the game along in subtle but effective ways

DedValve

Banned
Is there a way to check out XB1 mods? I'd like to see what its got to see if I should jump back into skyrim. Same for F4 which I really regret getting on the PS4.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Bwahaha my trophies

I reached a level 100 skill and level 5 and 10 and soon 25 about 5 mins apart. This will look like I am a horrible hacker. But no, I'm just a sneaky backstabber. Legendary sneak in 5 mins lol. Thanks Ralof! And the bear levels up my armor skills!

I didn't realize how many PC mods would be incompatible. Even non-SKSE stuff like Immersive Weapons/Armors, Monster Mod, Cloaks of Skyrim, etc.

Why is this? Even without SkyUI, this stuff should still be able to integrate into the leveled lists as they did with Vanilla Skyrim.

Since you got it today (the last day), you'll get your key within 36 hours.
That was fast, I logged back into my Steam account after about 4 hours and it appeared in my game list! I never played this when it launched 5 years ago so paying 12$ at cdkeys for a new game for me is great.

Wallach

Bwahaha my trophies

I reached a level 100 skill and level 5 and 10 and soon 25 about 5 mins apart. This will look like I am a horrible hacker. But no, I'm just a sneaky backstabber. Legendary sneak in 5 mins lol. Thanks Ralof! And the bear levels up my armor skills!

Yeah, it's still an Elder Scrolls game at heart.

As much as I loved Skyrim the first time I played it at launch I don't think I can bring myself to play it again. Put 4 hours into the SE today and feel I'm good lol.

I didn't realize how many PC mods would be incompatible. Even non-SKSE stuff like Immersive Weapons/Armors, Monster Mod, Cloaks of Skyrim, etc.

Why is this? Even without SkyUI, this stuff should still be able to integrate into the leveled lists as they did with Vanilla Skyrim.

Yeah same, hopefully it doesn't take too long. Maybe someone should make a new mod thread for the special edition

I saw this link on Reddit, basically mods like those that use .esp files need to be re-saved using the new creation kit. Some people have access to it now, but it won't be widely available until next week at the earliest.

Deception

Kinda bummed, I had this digitally purchased on my 360 with all the DLC but cant upgrade for free like the PC version and have to pay full price. Guess il be waiting a while or until the release BC for it.

Vuze

New texture processing I imagine. Apparently you can use texture mods but the specularity is way off.

===

Game looks pretty neat in 4K! But some textures and of course (N)PCs sure are nasty. Have been playing for about 90min.

Is there a way to quick swap between my melee and bow btw? Preferably native on controller but I can bind PC shortcuts to my controller paddles too if need be.

I know but I'm assuming they're using the FO4 build of the engine which is pbr enabled but bethesda simply chose to not produce the texture maps required to make use of it. I mean the world currently looks like it's just a diffuse texture + normal maps. So I'm hoping with a bit of ingenuity modders could add the correct mappings to enable pbr rendering.

I mean I might be completely misunderstanding this because all of my knowledge of the whole pbr process comes from putzing around in Unity but I've still got my fingers crossed.

This is in no way the FO4 version of the Creation Engine, but rather it contains a number of graphical features that are present in that version (DOF, Crepuscular rays, etc.).

This game looks really good on PS4!

I watched a few comparison videos and read many negative impressions (many good impressions, too) but I wasn't expecting it to look as good as it does, perhaps the PS3 version just looked and ran so bad that this upgrade is pulling tricks on me, but even compared to ESO it looks amazing. Sure, some textures are still hideo, character models are hideo but overall I'm pleasantly surprised!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Will the Pro version be supersampled for 1080p displays?

I don't think supersampling from a higher resolution is on a dev by dev basis. The pro version will run regardless of what display you have and the resolution of the game is native 4K. Thus supersampling

heringer

Playing as a sneaky archer is SO much fun.

First time I played Skyrim I went with a generic sword and board style. Got burned pretty quickly as melee combat is mind numbingly dull.

Nothing like sniping bandits from miles away.

Also, they didn't "fix" the exploit that allows you to learn archery from the elf and take the money back from him since he's a companion.

Top Bottom